Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ After the Fall ❯ Here With Me ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Greetings loyal readers! It is I, Kusara, here once again with an update I'm sure you're all dying to read (yeah right.) Anyway, I've been spending what little free time that has been bestowed upon me checking out various YYH related web sites. My favorite at the moment has to be Maze Castle, which I'm sure many of you have visited before, where I also post my story. So if you have time to spare check it out!

A big shout out to Kerina, Monet and Marin M for taking the time to review my work. And for those of you who read but don't review my question would be why not? I don't bite you know. Don't you want Sessha to be happy? *Pouts*

Onto the story!

Chapter 21-- Here With Me

Botan stood frozen just within the confines of Genkai's courtyard, horror etched upon her beautiful features. She was numbed with shock, her body unwilling to move, her gaze fixed upon the fallen figure of her beloved, clutching his chest, the blood flowing from the wound Hiei's razor sharp katana had delivered.

Pain radiated through the deity's body, as if she herself had been struck by the fire demon's blade.

She could feel it.

She could feel Kurama's life force fading.

Every beat of his heart echoed within her mind, weakening as the seconds dwindled. A weakness the deity now felt. For half of her soul was dying.

Kurama! Her mind screamed. She wanted to run to him. Wanted to help him but her legs would not comply, paralyzed by weakness and disbelief.

The voice in her head grew louder as she watched Kurama's eyelids flutter shut and his head loll downward, his chin resting upon his chest. The kitsune's right hand relaxed, his arm dropping to the side as his body crashed forward onto the courtyard with a muffled thud.

And the voice at last grew too loud to keep inside, the fear and anguish erupting from her lips.

"Kurama!" Botan screamed, the terror within her soul captured hauntingly upon the night wind that flowed around the otherwise silent courtyard. A swirling cry of horror and pain as the deity tore past the shocked forms of Yusuke, Kuwabara and Hiei. Botan collapsed beside the kitsune, reaching out with shaking arms to pull the unconscious man to her. She cradled his suddenly heavy form against her chest, ignoring the blood that continued to flow all over the kitsune's torso. Blood that seeped through the ruined sweater, settling within the pink fabric of the sleeve of the deity's kimono as she wrapped her left arm around his midsection while supporting his back with her right.

Kurama's slack face rested upon Botan's right shoulder, his features pale and his breathing almost non existent.

With tear glistened eyes the deity studied her beloved, cradling him close. "Kurama?" She whispered, raising her left hand to gently stroke his face, frowning at how cold his skin felt. "Kurama?" She repeated in a quivering voice, grief filling her heart and her features. "Don't you .. do this!" She cried, resting her chin against his forehead, releasing her hold of her lover's face to wrap her arm back around his chest. She clung to him tightly, despair evident in her voice as she began rocking him back and forth. "Don't you leave me like this. I don't want to be alone. I don't ... want .."

Tears began to flow freely, staining Botan's face as she broke down, her words lost to a sea of pain that consumed her. She did not see Yusuke and Kuwabara staring at her in shock. She did not see Hiei turn away, casting his gaze downward in shame and she did not hear Genkai's voice boom into the night air.

"WHAT IN THE HELL IS GOING ON OUT HERE!"

Yusuke and Kuwabara turned towards the main entrance, their shocked eyes falling upon the elder woman. They shook their heads slowly as if clearing their minds of disbelief. They moved their lips to speak but no sound came out.

But Genkai paid them no mind, her gaze shifting to the prone form of Kurama and his soul mate Botan. The female psychic's eyes widened slightly at the vision, the weakening chi she felt from both the deity and the kitsune troubled her. Her gaze drifted to the bloodied katana lying upon the ground. Hiei's sword? She thought with a frown as she brought her eyes upward, staring at the fire demon. What happened here? She wondered as she noticed the crestfallen features of Hiei who continued to study the ground with vested interest, fists clenched at his sides. I will ask him about it later. She decided, determination blooming upon her wizened features. Right now I must help Kurama. Pursing her lips, she returned her attention to the two men on the porch. "Yusuke, Kuwabara get him inside quickly!" She ordered with a wave of her hand before pivoting to her left and rushing back into the temple.

The shock gone, the two men nodded, complying with the female psychic's request as they rushed down the steps over to the deity, who still cradled the kitsune in her arms.

"Botan," Yusuke whispered softly as he crouched down to the right of the deity, reaching out to gently rest his hand upon her shoulder. "We need to get Kurama inside."

Botan's head lifted slowly, almost imperceptibly, the seconds stretching like minutes until at last her swollen amethyst eyes met the sympathetic chocolate ones of Yusuke. The ferry girl made no sound, nodding at the detective's words, understanding and pain crossing simultaneously upon her face as she relinquished her hold, watching with saddened eyes as the two men gently lifted Kurama off the ground and hurried inside.

The deity rose shakily to her feet, blood smeared all over the front of her kimono but she paid no mind to the heavy metallic smell as she walked forward and into the temple.

Hiei remained in his spot, his eyes still focused on the ground, his thoughts troubled and full of anger and guilt. I .. almost killed him. The fire demon thought, clenching his jaw. I almost killed Kurama! His mind roared, fists shaking in rage. Rage at his actions. He had got too caught up in the battle, the thrill of the fight so great he paid no attention to the fact Kurama had lowered his defenses because his chosen mate had appeared. Hiei's gaze shifted over to the katana beside him, the blood glistening along the blade, the metallic smell invading his senses, incensing him further. Images flooded his consciousness, the event replaying itself in his mind. The fire apparition could still hear the sound of the katana slicing through air and then flesh. He could see the blood splattering in an arc before his feet. And ... Hiei clenched his eyelids shut. Kurama's eyes. The look in his eyes as he stared up at him. Eyes that held no malice or anger but rather shock and an intense sadness that spread along his features. The distress upon his best friend's countenance rattling Hiei more than the attack itself. And all because I was too involved in my attack to notice him lowering his guard!

What if .. What if he dies? The fire demon wondered, his features filling with a rare show of concern. No. He countered in his mind, eyelids snapping open as he looked over to the temple entrance. Kurama is strong. He has survived worse than this. And with Botan at his side, he will survive again.

Hiei returned his attention reluctantly back upon his katana. He didn't want to touch it. Didn't want to hold the weapon that had wounded his friend. But I can't leave it lying out here. Frowning, the fire demon crouched down, reaching out to retrieve his sword only to stop as he noticed how badly his taped right hand was shaking. Dammit! He snarled mentally, jerking his hand back to his side. I can't even pick up my stupid weapon! He cried inwardly as he rose to his feet and returned his gaze to the temple entrance. Anger gave way to concern as he felt Kurama's chi fade. What's going on? He wondered. With a determined look, the fire demon marched forward, leaving the katana as it lay, sending a silent prayer the kitsune's way as he walked up the steps and disappeared inside.

*****

Genkai stood just inside the large open room to the left of the main entrance, the usually darkened atmosphere aflame with a soft white light that illuminated the interior, revealing a large blue mat hastily strung in the center of the room, two large bowls of steaming water and several folded white cloths at the head of the mat. The female psychic's focused gaze settled upon the forms of a backpedaling Kuwabara and a frowning Yusuke who entered the room, an unmoving Kurama stretched between them.

The orange haired teen stumbled slightly, nearly dropping the kitsune onto his head.

"Watch it stupid!" Yusuke snarled, gritting his teeth as he nearly lost his hold on Kurama's legs, his eyes flashing dangerously at the larger man.

"Shut up Urameshi! I'm worried about him too ya know!" Kuwabara snapped back as he adjusted his hold from under the kitsune's arms. "You try walking backwards!"

"Yusuke, Kuwabara!" Genkai snapped at them, her features hard and impatient. "Quit screwing around and bring Kurama over here!"

The two men grumbled but complied with the old woman's command, laying Kurama down as gently as they could upon the blue mat. Releasing their hold, the two men straightened their frames and peered down in concern at their friend.

"Is he going to be all right Genkai?" Kuwabara asked, his dark eyes shifting over to the old woman who walked around to the right edge of the mat.

"I cannot say Kuwabara." Genkai murmured softly as she knelt down beside Kurama. With steady hands, she reached out and began to gently roll up the sweater, her brow furrowing as she pulled the sweater up and over the kitsune's head, sitting the ruined article of clothing to the left side of the mat. She leaned forward, studying the long, angry wound that stretched from the lower right pectoral muscle all the way up to the left shoulder with troubled eyes.

"Oh my God." Yusuke whispered in shock, his horror stricken eyes taking in the massive amount of damage Hiei's sword had inflicted upon Kurama.

"Ugh. That looks nasty." Kuwabara murmured, wincing in sympathy as he studied the wound with pained eyes.

Blood continued to flow profusely from the deep cut, bone visible in a few spots along the valley of sliced muscle and tissue.

Genkai's frown deepened. If we don't heal him soon, he could bleed to death. Her frown turning into a look of concern as her ears picked up a muffled gasp from nearby.

The conscious occupants of the room turned towards the entryway where a frightened Botan and a teary eyed Yukina stood.

Botan approached the mat with wobbly legs, her strength weakening with each step she made while Yukina remained fixed near the door, not wanting to go any further inside.

Kuwabara noticed her distress and headed over to his love while Yusuke and Genkai hovered near the prone form of their friend, watching with saddened eyes as Botan collapsed beside the mat, her hand still held over her lips, as if to stifle the scream that ached to be released.

Oh God! Botan cried mentally as her eyes took in the wound. There was so much blood, so much, too much ... The deity shook her head, clenching her eyes shut, irrationally thinking that if she didn't look at the wound it would disappear.

"Botan?" Genkai whispered in concern, her features troubled at the weakening chi she felt from the deity. It's almost as if ... The wizened countenance of the female psychic lit up in understanding as she shifted her gaze over to the kitsune. Of course. She thought, a small smile making it way upon her lips as she returned her attention to the woman beside her. "Botan?" She repeated, her soft but insistent voice reaching the ears of the ferry girl who opened her eyes slowly.

Botan turned her head to the side, her still distant amethyst orbs meeting the urgent brown ones of Genkai. Her features remained twisted in distress, her lips parted as if to speak but no words came out.

Genkai frowned. Come on Botan, snap out of it! She wanted to yell at the deity but held her tongue. Botan was already upset enough, snapping at her might push her over her already precarious edge. And I don't want to see either of them die. She thought as she drew in a breath and let it out slowly, a contrast to the sense of urgency she felt. "Kurama needs your help Botan. You must heal him quickly."

Botan's eyelids fluttered slowly for a few seconds as she came out of her daze, shifting her focus from Genkai to the face of her beloved lying prostrate on the mat before her. Determination forced it's way upon her countenance, rationale breaking through the wall of grief and anguish that had enveloped her heart and mind. She had to heal him. But am I able to do it? She wondered, doubt suddenly entering her mind as she continued to study Kurama's face. Will I have the spiritual energy required to heal such a grievous injury? The deity shook her head fiercely, her blue ponytail swishing violently at the motion. I will not let him die! She countered inwardly, purpose filling her heart as she shifted her gaze to the wound and reached out, her opened palms igniting with a pure white light as she leaned forward and slowly began tracing the pattern of the wound.

Everyone watched in silence as the deity began the slow, painstaking process of healing the kitsune, including Hiei who had just entered the room.

The fire demon watched with concerned eyes as he hung along the fringes of the room, his features grim and his soul still heavy from the pain he had inflicted on his best friend.

Yusuke came to stand behind the slowly rising Genkai, his features tightened in worry as he now felt Botan's chi begin to fade. With every second that passed, it seemed the deity's energy seemed to grow weaker, so much so that the detective wondered if Botan might lose her life while trying to save Kurama's.

Yukina remained wrapped in Kuwabara's strong arms, her sorrowful features resting against the chest of her boyfriend who held her close, his features tightened in concern.

Several agonizing minutes passed as bone, muscle and flesh complied with the deity's healing commands, mending and connecting, the blood flow ceasing as Botan slowly moved upwards along the path of the wound. At last, after what seemed an eternity, the light slowly faded from the deity's hands revealing the now unblemished skin of the kitsune's healed torso. Botan remained hovered over her beloved, her eyes softening as she turned her head to study the restful features of Kurama. With a shaky hand she reached out and caressed his right cheek. "It .. is .. done." She murmured, before consciousness left her, her hand falling limp to her side as she collapsed onto the kitsune's body.

"Botan!" Yusuke cried, his shocked tone matching the features of the occupants in the room, as he rushed past Genkai to the deity's side, crouching down to pull her gently off Kurama. He turned her around, cradling her prone form in his arms. "What's wrong with her Genkai?" Yusuke asked, his upset brown orbs shifting from the slack features of Botan to the calm ones of his sensei.

"I thought this might happen." The female psychic murmured.

Yusuke frowned. "What the hell are you talking about Genkai?"

Genkai's lips tightened in annoyance as she glared down at her pupil. "I'll tell you about it later dimwit. Right now we need to take care of Botan and Kurama." She answered irritably moving past the detective towards the large wooden bowl closest to her. She knelt down, retrieving the bowl and a cloth before returning to the kitsune's side where she began cleaning off all the blood still stuck upon his flesh while issuing commands to Yusuke and Kuwabara.

Ten minutes, and several instructions later, a now clean Kurama rested upon a dark blue futon in another room, a beige down comforter tucked around his peaceful form. An identical futon lay to his right, where a still unconscious Botan rested. Free of her bloodied clothing, the deity now was dressed in an oversized gray T-shirt and sweats, items of clothing left behind by previous students, a white down comforter wrapped around her body.

The small flame of a lone candle hovered nearby, held by the master Genkai, who studied the pair with relieved eyes. It had been a close one but the kitsune would live to see another day. And Botan along with him. They will be fine. She thought with a smile as she turned and exited the room, taking with her the last bit of light as the room was completely enveloped by the darkness.

*****

"Alright grandma, spill it." Yusuke began as he sat in the main room of the temple, eyeing his sensei with anxious eyes. "What the hell happened to Botan?"

Genkai sighed, lowering her eyes to the tea cup in front of her as she spoke from the head of the group. "To understand what happened to Botan you must first understand what happened to Kurama," She began pausing to reach down and clasp the cup in her small hand.

"We already know. He got cut by Hiei's sword." Yusuke interjected irritably, wishing the old woman would get to the point.

"Yes, but why did that happen Yusuke?" Genkai asked, raising the cup to her lips to take a small sip of the green liquid sloshing around inside.

Yusuke opened his mouth to speak but Hiei answered first.

"Because he lowered his guard." The fire demon murmured, drawing everyone's attention towards his leaning form along the wall. "And in lowering his guard, he allowed himself to be wounded." He added, turning his gaze over to Genkai who spoke.

"Yes. Kurama lowered his guard because of Botan."

Yusuke frowned. "What the hell does that have to do with anything Genkai?" He snapped, irritation rising to the surface as he eyed his sensei.

"Everything moron!" Genkai snapped back, lowering her tea cup to the white saucer on the floor before her. "Kurama reacted instinctively to Botan's presence. And in doing so allowed himself to be injured."

Now Yusuke was confused. "What are you talking about?"

Genkai sighed, closing her eyes in contemplation. "Simple." She began, pausing to draw in her breath before letting it out slowly. "Kurama is bonded to Botan and she to him."

Hiei smirked. "I suspected as much." He said softly, his part in the earlier event momentarily forgotten.

"But not in the way you think Hiei." Genkai countered, opening her eyes to look over at the fire apparition. "It is not a physical bond they share but rather a spiritual one."

Kuwabara's, who had been quietly listening up until now could no longer contain himself. "You mean like a soul bond Genkai?" The tall man asked, a smile forming on his face as the female psychic nodded, looking over to him in approval.

"Very good Kuwabara." Genkai said. "Kurama and Botan are soul mates."

Yusuke frowned. "But isn't that like rare or something?"

Genkai focused her eyes on the detective. "Very rare. One in a billion chance that you would find the compliment part of yourself. Let alone have a soul bond between a Youkai and a Reigen." She answered, before a small smile twitched upon her lips. "Which makes their bond all the more special."

"But wouldn't you know right away if you've just met your soul mate?" Yusuke asked, still not quite comprehending what Genkai was saying.

"Not necessarily. It's possible to know your soul mate for most of your lifetime without ever realizing he or she was the better part of you." The female psychic replied, a smile gracing her lips as she added, "However, if you paid attention at all over the last three years you would have noticed how protective and concerned Kurama was for Botan and vice versa."

"That still doesn't explain how or why Botan fainted." Yusuke countered.

Genkai sighed. "It's because with a soul bond, every emotion, every thought can be and often is shared between the two individuals. This is both a strength and a weakness as evidenced by Kurama's reaction to Botan's presence." The old woman paused, a thoughtful look upon her countenance. "And Botan fainted because she used all of her spiritual energy to heal Kurama."

Yusuke looked at her in surprise. "All of it?"

Genkai nodded. "You sensed her weaken did you not?"

The dark haired man shifted his gaze away from the psychic to the open entryway that led to the next room, his features troubled. "Yes." He replied, his voice a mere whisper. It was sad, the current state of his friends. He didn't like seeing them hurt. Didn't like the fact that something so wonderful could also be so painful. But that's the price you pay for love I guess. Yusuke thought with a sigh as he turned back his sensei. "So tell me Genkai," He began in a soft voice. "Well they be all right?"

Genkai smiled. "They will be fine." She said reassuringly. "I'll watch over them for the night." Her smile turned into a smirk as she added, "I think you should be more worried about meeting Keiko on time." She reminded him, remembering their earlier conversation while waiting for the kitsune to arrive.

Yusuke's features paled as he jerked his left hand upward. Snapping his head to the side his brown orbs reflected a look of such dread that the female psychic couldn't help but snicker as she watched her pupil jump to his feet.

"I need to go." He said in an urgent tone, reaching out and grabbing the collar of a startled Kuwabara who he dragged off towards the door.

"Urameshi let go!" The orange haired man roared in protest, his features defiant and his mood dark as he struggled to break free of Yusuke's hold on his uniform. "I want to spend time with Yukina!"

"Quit whining Kuwabara!" Yusuke countered as he continued forward. "It's close to 8 and Keiko will be pissed if I'm late."

"Now who's whining?!"

"Shut up!" Yusuke growled, the two men disappearing from the room but not before the detective shouted over his shoulder. "Take good care of them Genkai! Let me know if you need any help!"

Kuwabara soon followed with a few words of his own. "Yukina my love! I'll see you tomorrow!"

The ice apparition, who had been sitting quietly through the whole thing, replied in a soft shout, "Good bye Kazuma!" Her red orbs studying the entryway with a longing that did not go unnoticed by her brother who frowned in disapproval.

I wish she wouldn't do that. Hiei thought with an inward sigh before his gaze shifted towards the side entrance that led to the room where the kitsune and the deity lay unconscious. Guilt rose to the surface once again as his mind became consumed with the condition of his best friend. I'm sorry Kurama.

"Hiei." Genkai's voice spoke in a gruff tone, causing the fire demon to turn his attention back upon her.

Hiei focused his red orbs upon the human psychic, his look questioning even as he said nothing, just stood waiting for her to speak first.

Genkai studied the compact man before her, frowning as she felt the waves of guilt still around his heart. After a few tense seconds she spoke. "You put up a good front Hiei, but the truth is you feel pain and remorse just as any one else would in your situation."

Hiei looked at her in awe, but then quickly stifled his urge to ask her how she knew. Instead he smirked and turned away. "Hn." He sounded as he pushed off the wall. "Say whatever you want Genkai, but the truth is the kitsune has grown too soft for battle. It was his weakness that led him to lower his guard."

Genkai however was not convinced. "If you need to feed yourself that line of crap to ease your guilty conscience then by all means go ahead. But you know and I know it was not Kurama's fault that he lowered his weapon. Rather your need to vent your frustration that led to his injury."

Hiei stopped mid step. His shoulders slumped slightly as he spoke. "Perhaps." He conceded, his back still turned to her as he continued. "In any case, there's little good I can do for him now. I'll just leave Kurama and his ferry girl in your capable hands."

"Are you leaving then?" Yukina asked in a meek, but disappointed voice as she rose to her feet.

Hiei turned to his sister, flashing her an inquisitive look as he nodded. "I must return to Makai. Mukuro will be most upset if I don't show up soon."

"Oh." Yukina replied, softly, lowering her eyes to the wood floor as if it was suddenly the most fascinating thing in the world.

Hiei wanted to walk over to her and hug her. To tell her the truth. That he was the long lost brother she had been seeking. But I cannot. He thought with a frown. The pain the truth will bring is something she doesn't deserve. Still that didn't mean he couldn't be close to her. Even if it was just as a friend. "But I will return tomorrow to see you and to check up on Kurama." He said evenly before turning and walking out of the temple, completely missing the look of joy that lit up the ice apparition's face.

The fire demon let out a long sigh as his gaze made it's way over to the sword still resting in the courtyard. He was still not willing to retrieve his weapon. But Mukuro will not be happy if I don't return soon and I can't very well leave my sword here. Gathering his courage, Hiei's handsome features took on a determined look as he marched over and crouched down. In a lightning fast move, his taped right hand snaked out and clasped the hilt of the katana, drawing it back towards him. He promptly slung it over his right shoulder and slid it into the sheath strapped on his back, a loud clinking noise erupting in the night air as the sword guard snapped against the rim of the sheath.

A sigh of relief made it's way past Hiei's lips as he rose to his booted feet. Turning his head to the left, the fire demon's features took on a grim look. He still felt guilty over his actions but knew there was nothing that could be done to erase the event. I hope you are truly all right my friend. He thought, his red eyes giving the temple one last look before he set off for the Makai portal and the home where his mate waited for his return.

******

Just as Hiei had hoped, Kurama was indeed all right, his unconscious mind growing more active as he began to dream. Dream of gentle waves lapping along a distant shoreline, of the woman who walked beside him, her right hand entwined within his left. And though it was merely a dream, the kitsune knew not of the truth. For everything was so real, so vivid he could feel the warmth of her touch, the feel of sand beneath his bare feet as they followed the path of an unknown shore. Even the sound and feel of the gentle wind that swirled around them was so real it were as if they were truly in another place and another time.

"Isn't the view beautiful Kurama?"

The red haired man turned slowly, drawn to the melodic sound of the woman's voice, his emerald eyes aflame with a joy that matched the happiness of his features as he gazed upon her perfect countenance. "It certainly is." He whispered, but the words were not meant for the large, clear lake that lapped lazily upon the pearly white sand they traversed or for the forest of pines that surrounded the sandy coastline. No. The words were meant for her. For the woman who completed him. The missing part of his soul. His love, his deity. His Botan.

Botan shifted her gaze over to him, a curious smile upon her lips as she tilted her head to study him. "Are you staring at me Kurama?"

Kurama smiled back but did not tear his gaze away from her face as he spoke in an even tone. "Does that bother you Botan?"

The deity lowered her gaze to the shifting ground beneath their feet, a blush creeping along her cheeks as she pretended to study the rolled up ends of her blue jeans. "No." She began, her voice a mere whisper above the sound of the waves that continued to lap against the shore near their feet. Her voice so soft, it took all of Kurama's acute hearing to pick up the words. "I just don't understand why. I'm not that beautiful."

What! Kurama wanted to shout but held his tongue. Instead he did something he had rarely done before. He began to laugh. And laugh loud.

Botan's head snapped upright, her embarrassment giving way to annoyance. "What do you find so funny?" She asked, glaring at Kurama through narrowed eyes.

Kurama shook his head as he continued to chuckle. He was amused. Amused that she thought herself not beautiful. She is by far the most beautiful woman I've ever seen. He thought with a smile as he looked at her with twinkling eyes. Man, it felt so good to just let go. To release all the pent up emotions he had held for so long. Botan made him smile and laugh. And he loved her all the more for it. "Nothing." He said softly, turning his gaze away from her as he tried to continue forward only to stop as he felt Botan tug on his hand. His chuckle died in his throat as he turned back towards her, noticing the wounded look upon the deity's face. "Botan?" He whispered in concern, drawing close to her. "What's wrong?"

But the ferry girl didn't respond as she lowered her head, avoiding his gaze.

Kurama frowned, releasing his hold of her hand before reaching out and resting his hands upon Botan's shoulders. "Botan?" He repeated, his worried expression turning to total shock as the deity suddenly pounced on him, knocking him flat onto his back, her falling on top of him. Surprise swirled within his emerald orbs as he stared upwards into the amused amethyst pools of his girlfriend, noticing with slight amusement the coy smile upon her lips. Her palms rested firmly against his biceps, her lithe frame hovered slightly above his as she brought her legs up to rest on either side of his abdomen.

He could easily remove himself from her hold. But the truth was he didn't want to. He rather enjoyed being this close to her. So close he could feel her breath upon his face. Still he wondered what her possible reason for jumping on him had been. Whatever are you up to Botan? In answer, the deity began to speak. "It seems I've caught you off guard Kurama." She said in a teasing voice that made Kurama smile.

"Yes. It appears you have me right where you want me." He replied in an even tone that betrayed none of the emotion that was building within his heart and his body as he continued to gaze up at her.

Botan's features softened, her eyes taking on a look of affection that mirrored the kitsune's. "So are you going to tell me what you found so amusing?" She asked in a tentative voice.

Kurama took a few seconds before replying. "I find it amusing that you don't think of yourself as beautiful Botan." He said softly, staring at her candidly. "I find you beautiful. Very beautiful indeed." He added, gently breaking the hold on his right arm to reach up and caress the left side of the deity's face.

Botan stared at Kurama in complete adoration, her lips parted to say something only to close her eyes in pain as a fierce arctic wind slammed suddenly into her, penetrating her white dress shirt and nearly sweeping her off into the nearby dune.

But Kurama would not give up his deity, wrapping his arms around Botan, hugging her close to him as he twisted sideways before sitting upright, sheltering her body with his own.

Botan curled into a ball, her hands clasping the thin material of his black oxford shirt as she nestled against the kitsune's chest. "What's going on?!" She cried above the fierce roar of the wind that now seemed to swirl around them.

But Kurama had no answer for her. He was just as confused as she was, his troubled eyes taking in the changing landscape. What had once been a warm, late spring day had become a blizzard. The ground quickly turned white, the lake freezing instantly behind them and the trees singing woefully as the wind tore through their heavy boughs, snapping them like twigs. Where did this arctic storm come from? He wondered, his features shifting to concern as he felt Botan shiver against him.

"So .. Cold ... " Botan managed to squeak between chattering teeth, her hold loosening from the kitsune's shirt as her body began to shut down.

I have to get her out of here before she dies of hypothermia! Kurama cried mentally as he rose slowly to his feet, dragging Botan with him. "Hang on to me Botan!" He shouted as he wrapped his arms around her slender frame and lifted her off the ground. He cradled her weakening body against his chest, trying his best to shield her from the winds that swirled deafeningly around them as he began to move slowly forward, the snow already up to his calves, the cold flakes penetrating his light blue jeans, bonding themselves against his flesh. Each step burned his exposed feet, sending a jolt of pain up through his legs. It felt as if he were walking on thousands of steel needles. Still he pressed onward, his body weakening from exposure to the harsh elements as he searched for some shelter from the bizarre storm that had erupted around them. Yet everywhere he turned a field of white presented his view.

He had gone but a few dozen feet, when the ground suddenly erupted below him, tentacles of green wrapping themselves around his legs and arms, pinning him in his spot with a vice like grip. The kitsune lost his hold of Botan, the ferry girl falling from his arms into the snow below, sending a wave of white a few inches into the air as she landed. "Botan!" He cried, struggling violently against the bonds that held him as he stared down at his beloved.

Botan rose slowly to her feet, her glazed eyes shifting behind her only to widen as she saw Kurama's predicament. "Kurama?!" She cried, rushing to him, adrenaline pushing her beyond the pain of the cold as she reached out, wrapping her hands around the vines, trying to tear them apart only to wince in pain as thorns sprung instantly along the thick organic ropes, slicing through her palms, the snow around Kurama's feet turning red from her efforts. The kitsune tried to command the plants to release him but they would not comply, disturbing the fox spirit even more than the strange weather that had erupted around them. Why won't they let go?

A strange chi suddenly entered the kitsune's senses, drawing his attention away from his dilemma, his eyes narrowing dangerously as he picked up the sound of footsteps crunching along the snow laden ground. Someone was coming. Someone very powerful. Anger gave way to fear as he returned his attention to his soul mate. "Botan! Someone is coming! You need to get out of here!" Kurama pleaded, hoping she would listen to him and flee.

But the deity would not go. "I won't leave you!" She countered, pulling all the tighter against the vines, biting back tears of pain and anguish as she tried to free him of his bonds.

"Botan please!" His voice grew desperate, pained. "Run now before it's too late!"

"But Kurama ... " She began, only to gasp as something struck her from behind. She collapsed onto her knees, her eyes growing dull as her life force leaked away from her body.

Kurama stared downwards, his face twisted in horror as Botan looked one last time into his eyes. "I ...Love ..." She whispered, her voice trailing off, eyelids growing heavy and she fell forward, landing face first into the snow before his feet.

Kurama's eyes widened in panic. The deity's back was covered in blood. About twenty holes visible through the white dress shirt she wore. Oh my God! NO!

Grief filled Kurama's heart. With a cry of desolation, the kitsune unleashed his power, a black mist erupting around him, his body changing, becoming larger, more powerful. The vines exploded from the release of spiritual energy, freeing Kurama of his bonds. The mist quickly dissipated, revealing his demon form, Youko.

Youko wasted no time in going to Botan's side, turning the deity onto her back before lifting her into his strong arms. He cradled her against his chest, his stomach contracted in a tight ball, his features pale as he gazed down at his love with sorrowful eyes. "Botan?" He whispered, frowning as he felt no sense of life within the deity's body. Her soul had departed for the spirit realm, the light that once shone around her gone. Only an empty shell remained. "Botan? Oh no... no.. no..." Youko's deep voice quivered, his throat restricting in grief.

He was alone. The only woman he ever loved was lost to him. Closing his eyes, the fox spirit rested the left side of his face against the deity's, crushing her prone form against him, rocking her back and forth slowly as he began to silently weep.

"A demon who weeps, how touching." A masculine voice carried upon the swirling wind.

Youko's eyelids snapped open, his features turning instantly from grief to rage. His spine stiffened, his jaw clenched as he twisted his head sideways, his hardened gold orbs seeking out the owner of the voice and the cause of his beloved's death. "Who are you?! Show yourself!" He snarled, fangs bared as he eyed the snow laden air hatefully.

But no response met his ears.

Fine then. Let my plants sniff you out. Youko thought as he gently released his hold of Botan, resting her softly on the ground. With a clawed hand, he reached up and into his long silver hair, quickly withdrawing a small seed. With a violent motion the fox spirit slammed his hand through the snow, opening his palm and releasing a large amount of energy through his taut right arm and into the sandy ground below.

Instantly several large plants burst upward behind him, waves of white powder flying in all directions. Massive bulbs the shade of grass formed at the ends of the undulating stems. The dark green petals of each bulb head drew back slightly, revealing a rather nasty row of razor sharp teeth, the plants weaving in and out of the wind as if in search of prey. A simultaneous shriek escaped from the demon flora as they all moved instantly in the same direction.

Youko smiled as he rose to his feet and turned around. Found you! He thought in triumph, crossing his arms as he watched his creations at work only to have his smile fall as a blast of fire ripped through the air, slamming into the carnivorous plants all at once, incinerating them, the wind whipping the blackened ashes up to the darkened sky and past the startled fox spirit. What the hell?

A figure appeared within the fringes of his vision. Clothed completely in black, his features were hidden in shadow. "Really Youko. Is that the best you can do? I thought you more powerful than that pathetic display you just gave me." The man taunted. "Let me show you what true power is." He added in an cold voice, lifting his right hand and opening his palm.

A jolt of pain rocketed all along the left side of the kitsune's body. NO! It can't be! He thought, remembering the attack the dark haired woman and inflicted on him so long ago. But this is a man before me now. So how in the hell is he able to do this?

Confusion gave way to surprise as Youko found himself being lifted into the air by a strong psychic force then slammed down into the ground. Snow shot upward from the impact. But the fox spirit rose quickly to his feet, trying to gain some sense of his opponent but he seemed to be everywhere. Kurama lifted his right hand, trying to shield his eyes from the gale force winds that assaulted his senses, only to gasp as the pain radiated through his body again driving him to his knees. His eyes widened as several dozen shards of ice shot towards him, slicing his pale skin wide open, blood splattering in all directions, staining the once pure snow in crimson.

Youko tried to fight back but found himself unable to move. His eyelids fluttering open and shut as he watched the dark figure stalk slowly towards him only to stop before the unmoving deity.

"You have defiled that which was once pure. And for that she had to die and you along with her." He whispered, his voice changing, deeper than before. The man in black grew taller, more imposing, confusing the kitsune to no end.

What the ... He wondered, his eyes widening as the new figure crouched down to the right of Botan. Get away from her! His mind snarled but his lips would not comply.

Reaching out, the figure in black lifted Botan into his arms, turning and walking away from the suddenly mute fox spirit.

Kurama gnashed his teeth together, tried to shout at him to release her, but his voice failed him. He tried to rise to his feet but his strength had suddenly left him. Only his right arm seemed able to move as he stretched it upward and out, his hand opening and closing in a futile attempt to bring his deity back to his side. He could only watch helplessly as the dark figure disappeared, swallowed by the snow, taking his beloved with him.

"Botan!" Kurama cried, his eyelids snapping open as he bolted upright on the futon, the brown comforter that had been wrapped around his lean frame sliding downward, revealing his bare chest and arms. He reached up with his right hand, clasping his forehead in pain as he awoke from the frightening vision. His breathing was labored, his heart heavy as he struggled to regain his senses. After several seconds, he lowered his hand back to his side, emerald eyes darting about the darkness, disorientation ruling his mind as he gazed about the room.

Where am I? He wondered mentally.

A familar chi entered his senses. Snapping his head to his right, Kurama's eyes widened in surprise as his gaze fell upon Botan resting beside him, a white comforter wrapped snugly around her.

Could it be? Is it really ... Kurama leaned towards her, reaching out with an exploratory hand to gently brush at the blue bangs pressed against the deity's forehead. A small gasp escaped his lips as she moved. She was still alive. A tender smile lit up the kitsune's face, relief filling his heart. It was just a bad dream. Nothing but a bad dream. Or was it? He wondered, his smile falling as he thought back to the visions in his mind. The weather changing, plants not complying with his commands, the death of Botan? What could it all mean?

His brow furrowed as new thoughts entered his mind, the events of the previous hours coming back to him with a vengeance. He remembered talking to Genkai and the other detectives. Remembered Hiei's dilemma and his subsequent teasing by Yusuke and .. Kurama looked down to his chest, studying his unblemished skin for a few seconds before snapping his head upright to stare at Botan. You healed me didn't you? He thought with a tender smile but his features were full of concern. No wonder her chi felt so weak. She had spent a lot of energy to heal him. Perhaps too much. He thought with a frown, wincing slightly as he felt a small pain along the left side of his face. Reaching up, his fingers traced gently over the gash created by the hilt of Hiei's katana. Hmm . ... He thought as a soft light erupted from the kitsune's left index finger, the wound sealing shut, his face perfect once more.

Why was Botan here? Why hadn't she called him first. And why did I react so readily to her presence? He wondered, his attention drawn to the deity's face as she began to stir, her features twisting into a painful expression that broke his heart.

"Kurama ... Don't leave .. Me .. Please ... "

Without thought, Kurama moved closer to Botan, snuggling up beside her, ignoring the fact that he was dressed only in a pair of red knit boxers as he leaned forward until his face was less than an inch from the deity's. "I'm here now love. And I will never leave your side." He spoke in a gentle, reassuring tone before brushing his lips lightly against Botan's forehead. Reaching out, Kurama wrapped his left arm protectively around the deity's lithe frame, draping his brown comforter over his body before resting his head before his beloved's and closing his eyes.

Many things had happened. Things that needed to be resolved. But I will speak to everyone in the morning. He decided with a small sigh as he relaxed beside Botan, his body crying out for rest and the kitsune complied, falling back asleep into a world free of the nightmares that plagued him.

******

Far away, another man's soul cried out for rest but he did not obey the command, forgoing the idea of sleep as he walked his lean frame across the teacher parking lot of Sarasaki High, the tail of his open black trench coat fluttering around in the light breeze that filled the air. His dark brown brief case swung slightly within the loose grip of his left hand while a set of keys were clutched within his right. His blue eyes focused intently on the small black two door Mazda parked at the far end of the lot. Wisps of blond bangs danced around his forehead as he continued forward at a brisk pace, reaching the car in a matter of seconds. He tapped the gray button on the black key chain, the lights blinking on and off in a flash, signaling the car was unlocked. He clasped the handle, pulling the door towards him and tossing his brief case into the passenger seat, the object landing against the gray leather with a soft thud. The man was about to enter the car when his eyes suddenly narrowed, his back stiffening as a feminine voice spoke behind him.

"Good evening Kigorei."

The lean man's shoulders slumped almost imperceptibly, a sudden weariness filling his heart as he turned to find his partner, Lina standing before him, her brown spiky hair undulating with the cold sweep of air that rushed past, dragging a few dead leaves from the large maple tree nearby along with it. "Good evening Lina." He replied softly, though his features tightened as he watched her approach closer to him. "What brings you out so late?"

The slender woman smirked at him, her sea green eyes focused upon his handsome features as she stuck her hands in the pockets of the black leather coat that matched her jeans, black cowboy boots clacking slightly against the asphalt as she stopped a few feet away from him. "I was just curious as to why you stopped Kanmari from dragging Urameshi to the principal's office." She said with a shrug but her voice turned hard as she continued. "And to remind you he is our enemy."

Kigorei frowned, not liking the tone of her voice. "I remember Ren's lecture, Lina." He replied coolly. "And my reasons are my own. I don't answer to you." He added, turning to get into his car.

"You like him, don't you?"

Kigorei sighed, the implication of her statement bothering him. So even she thinks I'm odd. He thought with a frown as he straightened his frame and turned around. "First off Lina, not that's is any of your business, but I don't find myself attracted to men. Secondly, while it is true I respect and even admire Yusuke, I still will not hesitate when the time comes to eliminate him." He spoke in a deceptively even voice, though his eyes grew cold, red beginning to merge with blue as he made a step towards the female demon/human who backed away reflexively.

"Alright Kigorei," She snapped, raising her hands up defensively. "I believe you, okay."

Kigorei relaxed, red fading from his eyes as he turned away from her. "I'm leaving Lina." He announced, dropping into the driver's seat of his car before dragging his legs inside. "I'll see you at school tomorrow."

"Ah, yeah. Tomorrow." Lina said hurriedly, backing up onto the sidewalk and into the shadows, watching her partner close the door shut and start his car, backing expertly out of his spot, tearing out of the parking lot and into the street.

Kigorei let out a sigh, his grip loosening slightly on the wheel as he made his way towards his apartment downtown. His blue eyes stared off into the distance, his mind elsewhere, his actions automatic as he thought back on his earlier conversation with Lina. She doesn't understand why I did what I did. He thought, his features twisting into a look of sadness as he slowed down his vehicle to make a left turn onto a busy main street. None of them know. Except for Ren. He added, his left hand reaching up to pull at the gold chain hanging upon his neck. With a gentle tug, he lifted it out of his shirt revealing a gold wedding band as bright as the hair upon his head. He clutched the ring gently, reverently, in his hand as he continued to drive. You should see the boy, Azami. Kigorei thought with a small smile. An almost prideful smile. He looks just like Hiroshi. Acts like him too. He added with a smirk, his features growing serious, contemplative as he tightened his hold upon the ring. Soon Azami, we will be together again. I promise.

*****

Light erupted in waves from the rising sun , chasing away the cold darkness of night with it's warming brilliance, bringing forth a new day to the city of Tokyo. Beyond the borders of the massive city, within the confines of Genkai's temple, one soul was beginning to stir, drawn slowly from the depths of her dreams by the blinding light that flooded through the windows of her room.

The first thing Botan noticed as she struggled to wake from her slumber was how warm the air felt around her. She felt restricted but comfortable at the same time. But why am I so warm? She wondered, her eyelids fluttering open, blinking them in a lazy fashion as she adjusted to the light spilling into the room only to snap them open as she felt something brushing up against her nose, her pupils dilating at the sight of the kitsune's face right in front of hers with no space between them.

"Kurama?" The deity whispered in surprise, a blush instantly spreading along her cheeks as she trailed her eyes downward. Although she couldn't see beyond the two comforters upon them, she knew their arms and legs were wrapped around each other in an intimate embrace, their bodies so close, Botan could feel Kurama's heart beat through the gray T-shirt she wore, the warmth and the touch of his body enveloping her whole being, sending jolts of electricity through her that the deity found hard to ignore.

Oh dear. She thought, her face flushing at the images that began swimming within her mind. She had been close to Kurama before. But never this close. And although she rather enjoyed the contact, Botan was sure the sleeping kitsune was unaware of the effect his body against hers was doing. Biting her lips, Botan brought her gaze back up to the kitsune's peaceful features and reluctantly began to retract her arm out from under Kurama's while at the same time lifting her right leg off the his left and back to the side. She had almost completely untangled herself when Kurama's hold tightened around her back, pulling her towards him until she was pressed against his lean frame once again.

Botan gasped then let out a small sigh as she relaxed against him. It seems even when he's sleeping, he's unable to let go. She thought with a smirk as she studied him up close. No matter how many times she looked upon his face, her heart still skipped a beat, the urge to run her fingers through his hair and kiss his soft lips so great she had to close her eyes to calm herself. Drawing in a breath, the deity let it out slowly and opened her eyes, desire giving way to concern as the events of yesterday came back to her. She had only come to Ningenkai to visit Kurama and tell him the good news. And instead, he nearly died. All because of me. She thought sadly as her gaze shifted down to the kitsune's bare chest. With her right hand Botan reached out and gently trailed it across his chest, smiling as she noticed no scar remained. It had drained most of her energy to heal that wound. But it was worth it. She thought, her smile brightening as she felt Kurama begin to stir. Retracting her hand to her side, Botan closed her eyes and pretended to be asleep.

Like Botan before him, Kurama was surprised to find himself holding his beloved so close to him. Unlike the deity however, the kitsune did not try to remove himself from her. Instead he studied Botan with tender eyes, a relieved smile on his lips. She is still here with me. He thought as he rested his forehead against hers and closed his eyes. He loved her with all his heart, the thought of losing her, even in a dream, troubled him endlessly. Doubt began to creep into his mind. Doubt of his ability to protect her. Could he protect her if something were to happen? Kurama let out a sigh, his features darkening. It would not do to dwell on such things. I must focus on the here and now. Tomorrow will take care of itself. His features softened, a smirk forming upon his lips as his ears and his senses picked up the erratic heartbeat of the deity. Playing possum, eh? Youko's voice quipped mentally as the fox spirit opened his eyes, revealing golden orbs that twinkled mischievously as they studied the seemingly innocent features of Botan. Slowly, Kurama pulled back from the deity's face only to lean forward, resting his lips against her right ear. "Good morning Botan." He whispered huskily.

Botan jumped, startled by his actions, her eyelids snapping open in response. "Kurama!" She cried, her look of surprise changing instantly to annoyance as she noticed the gold eyes of the kitsune peering down at her, a crooked smile upon his lips. I should have known Youko was involved. She growled mentally. She shifted uncomfortably as she looked up at him, noticing the predatory nature of his gaze. What was it about Youko's eyes that bothered her? Was she afraid or was it something else entirely. "Youko?" She spoke again, this time her voice tentative as she reached out an exploratory hand to touch the kitsune's face.

Kurama blinked, surprised she had addressed him as such. After all, his demon side had not manifested itself into physical form, merely his eyes. But still, it was interesting to him why she should be so apprehensive towards Youko. We are the same man.

Speak for yourself. Youko's voice quipped, the disdain evident in his tone as he conversed with Suuichi.

Kurama sighed. You love her just as I do Youko.

There was a slight pause before Youko replied, And that's why we must not let what happened in those dreams become reality.

Kurama closed his eyes, the memory of his dreams haunting him. They were getting worse. The images more horrifying, the attackers ever elusive. Why can't I see their faces. He wondered with a frown.

"Kurama?"

The fox spirit opened his eyes, the gold fading from his emerald pools as he rested back on his side and let go of Botan. "I'm sorry Botan." He said with a sigh as he shifted to his back, staring up at the ceiling with troubled eyes.

Botan frowned, not liking the depressed tone of voice coming from her love. "For what?" She asked softly, hoping to draw him out of his funk.

"For frightening you a few seconds ago." He replied after a few tense seconds. "I'm sorry Youko upsets you so much. I apologize."

"I was not afraid Kurama." Botan said as she edged closer to him. "I'm just not used to Youko that's all." She added, resting her head against his bare shoulder while draping her right arm across the surprised red head's chest. "I love you Kurama. In either form." She whispered in a reassuring voice that lifted the kitsune's heart.

"Thank you." Kurama replied softly, wrapping his right arm around the deity as he rested his head against hers.

The sound of a door sliding open drew the pair's attention to the front of the room, the petite form of Genkai stepping forward past the streaming light. Hands clasped behind her back, the female psychic addressed them with an amused tone that belied her neutral features. "Ah, I see the two lovebirds have awoke at last."

Kurama smiled but did not release his hold of Botan as he spoke. "Good morning Genkai."

Botan repeated the greeting but did not move from her spot.

Genkai nodded, acknowledging them as she stopped a few feet away. "Hiei, Yusuke and Kuwabara have come to check up on you and being the excellent hostess that I am, I told them to sit their asses down in the main room and wait until you were ready to visit them."

Kurama's features grew serious as he gently removed his arm from Botan, sitting up after the deity moved to the side.

Botan tossed her comforter off, rising to her feet and moving towards her now clean pink kimono hanging in the corner.

Kurama watched her move away before returning his gaze to Genkai. "Tell them we'll be there shortly."

Genkai smiled or rather smirked as she watched Kurama flip the covers off then instantly whip them back over his legs as he remembered he was dressed only in his boxers. He looked up to Genkai who pointed over to the side where a neatly folded pile of clothes sat.

Kurama followed her motion, his features becoming relieved as he recognized the articles of clothing. "How did you ... " He began, turning back to Genkai.

"Yusuke and Kuwabara snuck into your old room and managed to retrieve some of your spare clothing."

Kurama chuckled lightly, tickled at the image of the two men studying his house, arguing as to the best way to get inside. "They could of just asked for them."

Genkai snorted, dragging her arms out from behind her as she crossed them against her chest. "That would be too easy for those two dimwits." She replied before turning and walking back out into the hallway, sliding the door silently behind her.

The kitsune smiled and shook his head, lifting the comforter off his legs and rising slowly to his feet, his back to Botan.

A small gasp could be heard coming from the deity and Kurama turned around in concern, wondering what was wrong only to raise an eyebrow as he saw Botan's back turned towards him, her kimono already wrapped around her lithe frame. "Botan? Is something wrong?"

The deity shook her head quickly, her voice small as she replied. "No." She lied, her blush kissed cheeks hidden from sight but her heart was still pounding within her chest. She had seen Kurama nearly naked before, so what was so different this time? Botan wondered as she reached down and began to pull the obi tightly around her waist. Was it because he was standing before her, awake and conscious? Or because my thoughts are no longer rational when I see him like that?

The sound of clothing being shuffled drew Botan out of her muse as she tossed a curious glance over her shoulder, her eyes lingering on his toned body as he deftly slid into his blue jeans and then his yellow sweat shirt before turning towards her, a smirk upon his face.

Botan jerked her head back around, sighing. She'd been caught staring. Again. I hate it when I get caught. She thought with a shake of her head.

"Will you help me fold the blankets and the futons Botan?" His deceptively even voice called out to her, but she could feel the amusement brimming within her beloved.

Botan smiled, her irrational thoughts swept aside by the love and affection she felt for him and he for her. Turning around, Botan's features became business like. Pushing up her sleeves the deity nodded, walking purposefully forward.

Not another word was spoken, the two lovers completing their task in a matter of a few minutes before sitting the objects to the side and exiting the room via the hallway that led to the main temple room where their friends awaited them.

*****

"So you had another vision did you?" Genkai asked after the kitsune had finished relating his tale. Their conference had lasted for over an hour. Each spirit detective giving their two cents worth to the situation. Everyone had been relieved to find Kurama and Botan the picture of health. But this latest development had bothered the group, in particular Genkai, who felt something otherworldly was happening to the kitsune.

Kurama nodded, slowly sipping from his tea cup before continuing. "I don't know why this is happening to me. But I fear for Botan's safety. I fear for everyone's safety." He said evenly, his gaze shifting to his left as Botan reached out and rested her hand against his own.

Botan had been bothered by the kitsune's vision, the thought of him suffering, even if it were merely a dream, hurt her.

Kurama felt her concern and entwined his hand within her own, giving her a reassuring squeeze as his eyes trailed upwards to the ferry girl's face. He flashed her a tender smile that spoke of his heart before focusing his attention back on Genkai who spoke.

"Despite, the little setback in your training yesterday," The female psychic began, tossing a hardened glance Hiei's way, noting in satisfaction the almost hurt expression upon the fire demon's face, before returning her attention back upon Kurama. "Hiei is right. You must train."

"Yeah, but after fire boy's lapse in restraint yesterday, I'm not so sure that's a good idea." Yusuke interjected, his brown orbs shifting over Kurama who spoke.

"It wasn't entirely Hiei's fault, Yusuke." The fox spirit said in an even tone. "I should have been more focused on the battle. If I had, I would not have been hurt."

"Maybe, but Genkai already explained your situation with Botan so we understand why it happened."

Kurama raised an eyebrow. "Oh?" He replied, his gaze shifting over to Genkai who shrugged.

"Only an incompetent moron with no power of observation would miss the fact you two are bonded at the soul." She replied, smirking as everyone looked over to Yusuke who frowned.

"Ha, ha, very funny grandma." Yusuke growled, crossing his arms as he glared at his sensei. "Do you always have to insult me?"

"Yes." Genkai replied, ignoring the death glare her pupil threw at her as she continued. "You all must be careful." She said, her tone and features serious as she addressed the entire group. "Pay close attention to your surroundings. Be prepared for anything out of the ordinary. And don't hesitate to defend yourself."

"What is this a pep talk?" Yusuke growled irritably only to wince as Genkai reached over and smacked him upside the head before returning to her seat. "What was that for?"

"Because you're being disrespectful."

Yusuke sighed. "That's how I've always been Genkai. It's who I am." He said with pride.

"What a dork." Kuwabara quipped to the left of his friend.

Yusuke snapped his head to the side, glaring at his best friend. "At least I admit to my faults!"

Kuwabara glared back at Yusuke, his features twisted in anger. "At least I show respect to my elders!" He countered, the two men mumbling insults at each other much to the chagrin of the other occupants in the room.

"They're both idiots." Hiei said with a look of indifference as he turned his attention to Kurama. "I'm sorry ... about yesterday Kurama." He said softly.

Kurama studied his friend for a few seconds before replying, "It was an accident Hiei. No apology is necessary."

"Hn." Hiei sounded as he shook his head. "I knew you'd say something like that." Still it felt good to apologize, to remove the guilt from his conscious. Not that he'd ever admit to it. But I am glad you are all right my friend. The fire demon thought as he asked, "So how do we go about training then?"

"I have the perfect place." Genkai spoke up, drawing everyone's attention to her. Rising off the floor, the petite woman slipped on her shoes and walked outside. "Follow me." She commanded, exiting the temple.

Everyone looked at each other for a few seconds before rising to their feet, complying with Genkai's demand.

An half an hour passed as the female psychic led the group through the forbidden forest and into an open field filled with tall, yellow grass. A gentle breeze swept by, tugging at the maize tinted blades, the foliage dancing to the tune played by the wind.

Yusuke looked around, his handsome features scrunched in irritation as he spoke. "So tell me grandma, what's the name of this field? The plains of despair? The field of death? What?" He asked in a sarcastic tone that earned him an annoying glare from his master.

"Keep it up smart ass and it will be called Urameshi's field of stupidity." Genkai growled as she looked away from the detective to the rest of the group. "This field has the ability to manifest any image you wish to conjure, with the exact power level you require to test yourself. However, the spirit energy needed to achieve this is on par with an S Class level." She paused turning back to Yusuke. "That's where you will come in Yusuke."

Yusuke crossed his arms and turned his nose up at her. "I thought I was just a smart ass to you."

"You are." She replied, smirking at Urameshi's look of annoyance. "However you are the most powerful smart ass I've ever known and with your help, your friends and you should bridge the gap needed to elevate your skills on such short notice."

"Hang on a second Genkai," Yusuke murmured, his features turning troubled. "How come you never told me about this field before?"

Genkai's eyes grew pained, her features tightened as she replied. "Because Yusuke the risks of this type of training are unlike any you've faced before."

"Is it because the images conjured are so powerful the risk of death outweighs the benefits of the training?" Kurama asked softly, reading into Genkai's reasoning what the others could not.

Genkai nodded, impressed once again at the kitsune's intelligence. "Yes. This training could very well kill you. But it is a risk you should take." She replied, walking past the group. "I fear for this realm. I fear for all three realms. Something bad is coming. And if we don't stop it, no one will." She added over her shoulder as she headed back to the temple.

"Man that's depressing." Kuwabara murmured, shaking his head.

"Yes it is." Kurama whispered, his concerned eyes shifting over to Botan who nudged closer to him. He wrapped his arm around her, sensing her fear and worry over everyone's safety.

"So when do we begin?" Hiei asked, looking at his comrades expectantly.

"Well how about after school?" Yusuke replied. "That seems to be the best time to do it."

Hiei sighed but nodded, shifting his gaze over to Kurama, a smirk tugging at his lips as he noticed how tightly the kitsune was holding on to Botan. "What about you Kurama?"

The fox spirit nodded slowly, his features grave. "That works for me as well."

"Fine then. We'll meet back here at five O'clock sharp." Yusuke said before stuffing his hands into the pockets of his black down vest and marching off towards the temple.

Kuwabara followed silently, leaving Kurama and Botan alone.

The kitsune watched his friends disappear into the woods before addressing the deity. "You fear for their safety?"

Botan nodded, resting her head against his shoulder. "I fear for yours as well." She said softly, her voice tugging at the kitsune's heart.

Kurama held her all the tighter. "There is no need to worry Botan." Kurama replied. "We will be fine." He added as he led her back towards the temple. They talked about small things along the way, the deity revealing at last why she had come to see him.

"And Koenma says he may have some information that will help us later on down the road." The ferry girl said in an excited voice, her bubbly persona returning once again.

Kurama smiled at her as they reached the courtyard of Genkai. "That's good news indeed."

"And that's not all," The deity said with a bright smile, the happiness radiating from her soul as she added, "Koenma's given me the weekend off."

At this, Kurama's features lit up in joy. Finally, I can spend some time with her. He thought. Maybe even take her out on a date. "Good news indeed." Kurama said with a small chuckle as he wrapped both arms around the deity and hugged her.

"Hey you guys," Yusuke's voice called out to them from the temple porch, his features amused as he gazed upon the two lovers. "Are you going to stand out there all day getting lovey dovey or are you going to come inside for breakfast?"

Kurama let go of his hold, a small sigh escaping his lips as he rested his forehead against Botan's. "I guess we should go inside huh?"

"I guess." Botan replied, pulling away slightly before clasping the kitsune's hand and leading him inside.

After a light breakfast, the spirit detectives went on their way, Yusuke and Kuwabara headed back home, skipping school for the day, while Hiei went back to Makai.

Kurama remained behind briefly to say a few parting words to Botan. "I'll see you this weekend then?" The kitsune asked softly, holding on to Botan's hand as they descended the temple steps leading away from Genkai's residence.

Botan nodded. "It's a date." She said with a happy smile as they reached the bottom of the steps.

Kurama turned to face her, his handsome features suddenly growing pained. He didn't want to wait that long. But she has work to do. As do I. He countered in his mind as he slowly let go of the deity's hand. "Good bye Botan." He whispered.

Botan hesitated in answering him, feeling the pain of separation already brewing within his heart. I feel the same Kurama. She thought sadly. "Good bye Kurama." She said softly, holding her hand out to the side. An oar materialized instantly before her. But Botan did not get on right away. Instead she walked forward and hugged the kitsune. "Don't be sad Kurama. I can't bear it. It hurts me to think you're in pain over me." She spoke into his sweatshirt, her words muffled.

Kurama closed his eyes, wrapping his arms around her. "I am in pain Botan." He replied softly, resting his chin upon her head.

"I know." Botan replied, pulling away. With a shaky hand she reached out and caressed his left cheek.

Kurama smiled at her, reaching out to take her hand within his own. He drew it to his lips and kissed her fingers gently. "I love you."

Botan blushed. She couldn't help it. She still wasn't completely used to his declaration of affection as she replied with her own. "And I love you." She said, tilting her head upward as Kurama leaned downwards, there lips meeting, speaking the truth of what was in their hearts. Several seconds past before Kurama pulled away, reaching up to caress the ferry girl's left cheek with the back of his fingers. "Until then."

Botan nodded, flashing him a loving smile as she backed away and hopped onto her oar, heading back to the realm of Reikai.

Well folks. Not my best work but the creative juices have kind of dried up on me right now. I really suffered with writers block on this chapter. And I haven't been in the best physical shape. Plus I've been getting the third degree about being on the computer all the time. So I'm kind of restricted to only a few hours a day which sucks! Anyway, I apologize if you find it sub par. So ladies and gents, make Sessha happy and leave a word or two. Tell me if I need to improve things. I feel kind of at a loss right now and need the support.