Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ After the Fall ❯ Glimpses of the Past ( Chapter 27 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Yes it is that time again my friends. Time for Sessha to update. I've been preoccupied as of late with the expansion set to the YYH TCG called Gateway. These cards deal mostly with the Chapter Black saga and have lots of awesome images and attacks. I have most of the Kurama cards except for the Tournament Rare, Kurama Skilled Assassin and the Tournament Ghost Rare called Protecting the Innocent (Both freaking impossible to get!) which has a cool picture of the kitsune when he and Sniper have a little square off in front of a crowd. That was an awesome moment in the show!

Too bad Yusuke ends up fighting Sniper instead. I would have liked to see a fight between Kurama and the telekinetic freak Hagiri (A.K.A. Sniper.) I have an Uber Rare (for those of you who don't know that's next to impossible to get.) card called Apocalypse and boy is it awesome! And foil no less which makes it double the value! The power of the card states that on the start of your next draw step you win the game. That makes it an essential game card to have!

However the rarest card in my bunch is called Sinning Tree, a Ghost Rare card that features Kurama and one of his rather nasty plants. The Sinning Tree keeps you alive while you relive your most horrible nightmare over and over again. You die very, very slowly. Kurama uses this plant on the Elder Toguro and quite justly I must say! That little man was such a freak! Well enough about my card obsession, onto the next installment to my ongoing story. I hope you all enjoy it!

A/N: This chapter is another long one and delves more into the villains than my previous chapters, so if you find it boring I apologize. This is however something that needed to be addressed in terms of plot.

Note: These symbols ~~~~~~ denote flashback sequence

Chapter 27--Glimpses of the Past

Last time:

"Do you truly believe this Ren to be the one behind your attack in Makai?" Genkai asked in a grim tone as she stared up at the kitsune.

"I can't say with certainty Genkai. But there is something about him that bothers me. My instincts tell me I'm on the right track. That he is the one we seek."

"And if he is?"

Kurama's features grew dark, gold bursting within emerald as his gaze traveled over to his beloved. The thought of the dark haired man even touching her, lit a fire of rage and disgust that he found hard to contain as he replied in the deep voice that was Youko's, "Then I will destroy him."

****

Genkai studied the hardened features of Kurama, noting with mild surprise the venom laced words that the red head spoke. Whoever this guy is, he's gotten under Kurama's skin like a chigger. She frowned, troubled at how swiftly the kitsune shifted from his calm human self to the colder Youko that lived within him. Genkai was well aware of Kurama's ability to transform to his demon self at will. However, Youko was usually only unleashed when Kurama became angry. So what is fueling this anger? She wondered. Following the young man's gaze, the answer came to her instantly.

I should have known it revolved around Botan. Genkai thought, her features turning contemplative. In the demon world, males that chose a life mate were usually overly protective, so much so that any signs of interest towards their mates from another male ended up in a violent clash that resulted in death for one or both parties. All sense of reason is lost, their hearts swayed by anger and jealously as they lashed out, killing or killed by their own lapse into weakness. Is this what Ren has planned for Kurama? Or is he truly infatuated with the deity? "Kurama?" Genkai said a soft but firm tone that drew the kitsune's attention back on her.

He blinked, the gold fading from his eyes as he spoke, "What is it Genkai?" He asked, his face losing the feral mask of his Youko side, returning to the normal placid look that was Suuichi.

Genkai took a few seconds, pondering how best to warn him. "There is something I believe you need to consider before you go after Ren," She began, her features becoming serious as she held the red head's curious gaze. "There is a possibility that his sudden obsession with Botan has more to do with drawing out your anger than any real feelings he holds for her."

Kurama shifted his gaze over to Botan, a thoughtful look upon his countenance as he replied, "That thought had occurred to me, yes." He answered in a soft tone. "He has managed to anger me on more than one occasion. I cannot deny this fact." He paused, returning his focus upon the small woman before him. "And I realize it revolves around Botan but I promise you Genkai, I will be on my guard. I will not let my feelings get in the way of our mission."

Genkai nodded. "See that you do Kurama. I would hate losing our most intelligent fighter." She replied in a somber tone before turning and heading towards the next room. "Come along Yukina." She ordered softly as she passed the Koorime and the deity.

"Coming Miss Genkai." Yukina replied, giving Botan a quick hug before following the female psychic out of the room leaving Kurama and Botan alone once more.

A few minutes later, the pair found their way outside, hand in hand as they slowly began to descend down the temple steps.

"Tell me Botan," Kurama began in a light tone, "Is it true that Kuwabara finally asked Yukina out on a date?"

Botan jerked her head towards him, a surprised look upon her face. "You were eavesdropping on our conversation?!"

Kurama let out a small chuckle, amused by the slightly indignant behavior of his mate. "My ears do more than frame my face, love. I also happen to have hypersensitive hearing. But then again you already knew that." He replied in a teasing tone, earned him a scowl from Botan who looked away from him, her features unamused though her voice turned playful as she spoke.

"I'm surprised you're not deaf from last night."

Kurama's eyebrows shot up, his features twisted in surprised amusement. I can't believe she just said that. He thought, smirking inwardly at the deity's retort. "Well you were rather loud at times but I managed to survive." He countered teasingly.

Botan grew silent, a blush spreading along her cheeks at the memory of their joining. "Was I really all that noisy?" She asked, unable to look upon the man she loved.

Kurama frowned, sensing her embarrassment. Stopping his progress, the red head turned towards Botan who would still not look at him. Reaching out with his left hand, Kurama crooked his index finger under the deity's chin, tilting her head upright until their eyes met and held. "No," He replied softly. "I was merely teasing you. Nothing more than that."

Botan felt the truth of his words and smiled. "So was I." She said softly, her eyes twinkling once again as she turned away from him and pulled him forward down the steps once again.

"So are you going to tell me what else you two ladies talked about?" Kurama asked, returning to their previous subject.

"But I thought you heard the conversation?" Botan asked in a confused voice.

Kurama smiled. "Only the first part. After that I focused more on my conversation with Genkai."

Botan drew in a breath and let it out slowly, her amethyst orbs studying the approaching pavement below where Kurama's bike was parked. "Well, Yukina wanted to know what people did on a date. So I gave her some advice on what to wear and how to react. You know girl stuff."

Kurama gave her an amused look but said nothing as he asked, "So when is Kuwabara taking her out?"

"Wednesday."

The kitsune frowned. "That's a little odd," He replied. "Did Yukina mention why Kuwabara specified that day?"

"Apparently there's a new aviary opening up in Kyoto featuring a variety of birds from around the world. The unveiling is on Wednesday."

A knowing look flashed upon Kurama's face. "Well given Yukina's penchant for the gentle animals of the forest, it stands to reason Kuwabara would pick out something she would enjoy." He replied, his feet clearing the last of the steps, landing with a soft thud upon the pavement.

Botan followed at the same time, her feet in sync with her mate's as they quickly made their way over to Kurama's motorcycle. "It certainly is rather sweet of him," She said with a small smile before adding, "Speaking of plans, where are we off to now?"

Kurama stopped beside the bike, reluctantly removing his hand from the deity's as he hopped on, Botan following a second later behind him. "I was wondering if you would mind coming with me to visit my mother." He replied as he stuck the key in the ignition, a smile forming on his lips as Botan wrapped her arms around his waist.

"Are you going to tell her about our engagement?" Botan asked, frowning at the nervousness in her voice. Although she had always liked Shiori, she wasn't sure how her mate's mother would react to the idea of her only son getting married. And at such a young age too. She thought. Granted, Kurama was actually over 300 years old but in his life as a human, he had only reached the age of 19. Quite young for someone to even contemplate the idea of marriage. And I'm two hundred years older than him. Botan thought with an inward smile. I guess that means I'm robbing the cradle.

Kurama sensed her shift in emotions, his emerald orbs twinkling with amusement as he replied, "I imagine she'll be elated to know I have a girlfriend," The fox spirit paused, starting the engine to his bike. "Besides she really likes you. I'm certain it won't come as a surprise that I chose you for my mate at all." He tossed over his shoulder.

Botan didn't reply, but nuzzled into his back as the kitsune tapped back the kick stand and revved up his bike, a masculine smirk upon his lips as he felt the deity relax against him. With graceful skill, Kurama took off, making a U turn as he headed back into Tokyo and the home of his human mother.

****

Yoh hurried along the pathway that led up to his father's palace, a look of excited determination upon his handsome face as he studied the door in front of him. So many times before, the young Reigen would approach in a graceful and reverent fashion. But not today. Not when there was a possibility of him helping those he had come to think of as friends. I only hope father won't be too upset for what I ask of him. The blond thought with a slight frown as he reached out and yanked open the entry door. Yoh stood still for a moment, using his sense of chi to gage the whereabouts of Torandai. Within seconds he knew the location and moved to the left, running up the stairs two at time, his booted feet hitting the marbled floor a few heart beats later, a clanking sound echoing within the long corridor as he turned to the right and marched forward. His lean frame was surrounded by the nearly blinding light streaming through the large paneled windows that graced the wall to his left. His head bowed low, Yoh did the best he could to avoid the glare, his thoughts revolving around the questions he needed to ask Torandai. He was about halfway to his destination when the sudden sound of the head elder's voice startled him.

"Yoh?" Torandai called out in a surprised tone, drawing the boy's attention directly upon him.

The blond Reigen jerked his head upright, his features brightening as he gazed upon his adopted father who stood just outside of an open door to the young man's right. "Father! I need to speak with you! It's urgent!" Yoh nearly shouted, running up to stand before the larger man.

Torandai studied Yoh pensively. It had been four days since the tall man had seen his adopted child. Four days of wondering and second guessing. Did he do the right thing by revealing the true history of Reikai? Was it too much for the boy to bear? These thoughts plagued Torandai endlessly since Yoh's sudden and unannounced departure. And now to see him in such an excited state made the head elder's thoughts grow dark with worry. For he was no longer the sole keeper of the common laws book. The one thing that would absolve the kitsune and the deity from the unjust punishment that would surely be met out if their relationship were brought out into the open. A nagging fear began to build within Torandai's heart. Fear of the possibility that Kagone had discovered the truth and was now seeking a way to rectify the situation. He will kill them if he finds out. And without that book, I can do little to stop it. The silver haired man thought with trepidation. Narrowed emerald orbs quickly scanned the hallway for any sign of life beyond that of his son. Seeing none, the elder bid Yoh towards him with a wave of his right hand. "Come inside and we'll discuss it." He ordered, disappearing back into his office room.

Yoh complied, following his retreating father inside, closing the door quietly behind him. He marched across the marbled floor, his eyes quickly noting the tapestries in bold reds and blue that lined three of the walls, while the fourth wall was adorned with several large paneled windows over looking the city of Torandai a small distance away.

The silver haired man made his way over to his maple hued desk, lowering his large frame into the cushioned black chair as he rested his arms upon the rests and fixed a questioning stare upon his adopted child. "Tell me, Yoh." Torandai began. " Has something happened to the detective and the ferry girl?"

Yoh mimicked his father's motion, sitting down upon an equally black chair situated slightly to the left of the elder. His ears picked up the concerned tone of his father's voice and wishing to put his mind to rest, favored Torandai with a happy smile. He shook his head vigorously, drawing in a breath as he tried to calm the furious beat of his heart. "No father, everything is fine. In fact it seems Kurama has asked for Botan's hand in marriage and she has accepted."

The color drained from the tall man's features. Oh God. It's happening again. His mind cried as he lowered his head in pain. Just as it did 3,000 years ago.

Yoh stared up at his father with puzzled eyes. Well that certainly wasn't the reaction I was expecting. The blond thought as he asked, "Father what is wrong?"

The head elder did not answer right away. Instead he rose out of his seat, turning his back towards Yoh as he walked over to the window, training his troubled eyes absently down upon the city of his birth. "Tell me Yoh," He began in a soft tone, his words even and deliberate as he spoke, "Are you certain that Kurama has asked for the deity's hand in marriage?"

"Yes." The blond replied with a slow nod, wondering what was going on inside the older man's mind. "I saw Botan wearing an engagement ring so I assume she accepted." He added, his features growing curious as he asked, "Why do you ask father? Isn't that what people do when they fall in love and want to spend the rest of their lives together?"

Torandai continued to stare downward, unsure how exactly to respond. He said nothing for several seconds as he tried to calm the rising anxiety filling his heart. "In most cases yes," He answered finally. "But you see Yoh, Kurama is a human with a Youko soul. His demon side would also require a sign of commitment. A bonding mark if you will."

Yoh frowned in confusion. "A bonding mark? What is that?" He asked as he rose from his seat, walking forward to stand beside his father.

Torandai smiled, amused slightly by his naiveté. "It means that Kurama has marked Botan with a bite, infusing a small part of his energy within her so that any unmated male that comes into contact with her will know she belongs to another and is not to be touched." He answered, his gaze still fixed outside as he added in a darker tone. "And this energy will not only be sensed by Youkai's but Reigens as well."

Yoh's eyes widened in understanding. "So when she returns to Reikai, Kurama's energy will easily be detected by any male that comes close to her." He said, his features taking on a worried look as he turned his gaze away from Torandai to the city some distance away. "And if Kagone senses it ... " His voice trailed off, unwilling to put into words what would happen to Botan if she were caught.

"Then she will be killed." Torandai said softly, his features twisted in concern as he studied his son.

Yoh grit his teeth, rage brimming within his usually placid soul at the thought of his friend being harmed. I will not let that madman hurt her. I will not! He vowed silently. "But father, we can't let him do that! It's wrong! You know it's wrong!" He cried, whirling his head back upright he met his father's surprised emerald orbs with his pained blue ones. "You have to help them father! Please!" He added imploringly as he reached out and clasped the left sleeve of Torandai's white uniform shirt.

The silver haired man looked down to the hand a hold of his sleeve, his features softening. Yoh was like a child in so many ways, gentle and pure of heart. And idealistic. He added with a smirk that vanished as quickly as it had come. And yet in other ways, the young man before him beheld such courage and compassion that put many of the men and women who resided as elders for the spirit realm to shame. He would make a good leader for Reikai. A just and fair one. More so than I have ever been. He thought, his heart growing heavy from the sudden influx of dark memories. Memories of his failures as a leader. Yoh is right. It is wrong. Just as it was wrong when I condemned Konrei to death 3,000 years ago for his love of a demon. Torandai reached out with his right hand and gently rested it above Yoh's. "I have been trying to help them all along my son. That is why I sent you to watch over them. To make sure they remain safe."

Yoh's features relaxed, his arm going slack as Torandai lifted his hand, allowing the blond to retract his arm back to his side. "Forgive me father," He began in a pained voice as he tore his gaze away from the large man, his blue eyes trained now upon the tops of his black boots. "It's just .. after what I read in that book ... I feel as if history is repeating itself. That ... our people are destined to commit another mistake. . And I just .. don't want to have happen to Botan and Kurama what happened to Konrei and his wife. It's not right."

Torandai allowed himself a small smile but said nothing, sensing the young man's need to voice his thoughts.

"And I know of a way to help them ... " Yoh continued as he rose his head once more. "In the book you gave me it mentioned something about written laws that predated the great war. Laws that allowed for marriage between those of different realms if the match was comparable." He said, pausing when he noticed the look of surprise flash upon his father's face. "You ... You know of what I speak don't you?" He added in astonishment. "You've known about the book all along haven't you?!"

Torandai flinched at the accusing tone of Yoh's voice but kept his even as he replied, "Yes I have Yoh."

Yoh stared at his father with hurtful eyes. I can't believe he didn't tell me about this. "Why didn't you tell me this earlier father? Why all this need for secrecy? Are you that distrusting of me?"

"I had to be certain the kitsune and the deity were bonded at the soul Yoh. Although I believed your report, it wasn't until I witnessed their bond myself that I knew it was true." Torandai explained in a gentle tone. "And once I knew, I decided to show you the truth of our world and the cruel things we have done as a people. I needed you to understand the reasons actions were taking so long ago to prevent this from happening again. I knew there was a risk you would hate me after learning the truth but I had to take that risk so that you would understand the severity which Botan and Kurama would be judged. The truth is Yoh, I wanted to give you the common laws book that night so that you could in turn give it to the deity with my blessing. But you left before I could do that my son."

Yoh closed his eyes in shame. He had run away before his father could explain, his heart too hurt and troubled to see beyond the past. Beyond the decade long conflict that had robbed the lives of countless innocents from all sides. I'm such a stupid child! He chided himself. Always letting my emotions get the better of me. Well no more! I must not let my emotions dictate my will. I must think things through just as my father has done. Opening his eyes, Yoh gazed calmly at Torandai, his voice even as he spoke, "I am here now father and I am still willing to take the book to them. If I may that is?"

Sadness made it's way across the handsome features of the silver haired man, a weary sigh escaping his lips as he replied, "I'm afraid that's impossible now Yoh."

"Why not?" Yoh asked, his features darkening at the sudden thoughts swimming within his mind. Please father. Please don't tell me you're going back on your word now. Not after all you just told me.

Torandai drew in a breath and let it out slowly. "The book is no longer in my possession Yoh. It has been stolen."

"What!" The blond exclaimed, his features paling as he stared up at his father in disbelief. "But ... But why? Why would someone do such a thing?" He stammered out.

Torandai shook his head. "I don't know my son. I've searched high and low within this entire palace and I have yet to find any trace of the book. The only conclusion I can come to is that someone has taken it."

"Do you have any idea who could have done this father?"

Torandai's features turned thoughtful. "Very few people know of it's existence Yoh. Most of our population was killed during the great war and it took a millennia before we recovered. The book was supposed to have been destroyed. But I could not allow that to happen. I wanted to keep a record of our written laws on the off chance another relationship developed so that this time, I could stop them from being killed." The large man paused, making sure Yoh was absorbing this information before continuing. "As to who would have stolen the book. I can only guess it to be an elder. They all have access to the library. Any one of them could have snuck in and taken it into their possession."

Yoh frowned, his eyes troubled as he took in this new development. It seems as if someone knows what we are up to. "So what do we do now father?"

Torandai's features grew serious. "If it is true that an elder took it, it's possible they know what we are planning and have decided to stop us. We must not let that happen. We have to search each elder's home in a discreet manner and steal the book back before it's too late. My only question is who are we going to get to do that?"

A fierce look of determination erupted on the blonde's handsome face. "I will." He replied.

Torandai shook his head sharply. "I will not allow you to do that Yoh. It's too risky."

The blond frowned. "But I want to help father. Let me help you."

The head elder reached out and rested his hands upon the young man's shoulders, his features somber as he replied, "You have done enough already my son. I need you to remain in Ningenkai to watch over the kitsune and the deity. I fear they will need your help more than I and soon."

"What do you mean father? Is there something you're not telling me?"

But Torandai did not answer as he removed his hands and turned from his son. "Do not reveal the truth of your origins yet my son. I fear that may do more harm than good at this point. But keep a constant vigil over them. I will inform Koenma when I have recovered the book and give it to him accordingly. He will know what to do." He tossed over his shoulder as he began to walk towards the door of his office.

"And if you don't find the book father?" Yoh asked as he watched the tall, regal man leave him.

Torandai stopped. Turning around slowly he gazed upon his adopted son with saddened eyes. "Then my life will be forfeit." He replied softly before turning around and opening the door, disappearing out into the hall, leaving Yoh alone to ponder the consequences if they should fail.

******

Kagone leaned back in his plush office chair, his impassive features illuminated by the large monitor adorning the wall in front of him, the sole light source in the otherwise darkened room. Cold blue eyes quickly read the title at the bottom of the film that flashed in block white Kanji symbols, Dark Tournament Finals. Kurama vs. Karasu, before returning his attention to the recorded battle commencing on screen. Kagone's features grew smug, remembering when Naoko had presented him the tape hours ago along with the other files he had managed to pilfer from the poorly secured Spirit World Records Department within Koenma's palace.

~~~~

"What is this Naoko?" Kagone asked, holding up the black hued tape case labeled Team Urameshi-- Dark Tournament Finals in bright red Kanji.

Naoko looked at him gleefully. "That my lord contains recorded battles the spirit detectives engaged in three years ago. During an event called the Dark Tournament."

"And just what is this Dark Tournament?" The elder asked, having little knowledge of what went on outside of Reikai.

"It is a tournament that takes place every fifty years. Conducted in the human world and financed by businessmen who relish in a little blood sport, it plays hosts to several demon and one invited team for the chance to win some great prize. Most of these fights end in death and/or dismemberment. However, the finals contained within that tape mark the last of that event. The committee who ran the tournament are all dead as are most of the participants within it. Except for the spirit detectives of course."

"And how is it you know all this?" Kagone asked, lowering the tape back on the desk beside the plain faced blue book, his gaze shifting back up to Naoko who smiled engimatically

"I have my methods sir," He replied. "Besides, you asked for more information on what kind of powers the spirit detectives had. In that regard, the tape should prove invaluable to your cause my lord."

Kagone smiled, looking back down at the tape case. If what Naoko says is true, this tape should prove invaluable indeed.

~~~~~~

Leaning forward, the elder watched with mild curiosity the recorded battle between a younger version of Kurama and the deadly explosives expert known as Karasu. His eyes took in the lean frame and deceptively innocent features of the kitsune and frowned. This is the man that traitorous wench chose over one of her own kind?! His mind sneered, his features a mask of open disdain. He is little more than a boy.

Kagone's thoughts grew contemplative as the battle progressed. For all intents and purposes, Kurama seemed about as threatening as a gentle breeze on a hot summer's day. Yet his file suggested different. An A+ class demon with the possibility of rising to the S class rating in power depending on the situation. So why wasn't he seeing that here? Why haven't you shown your true colors demon? He wondered. Just what are you hiding behind that gentle human facade?

In answer, the screen suddenly lit up, the demon Karasu inflicting a devastating attack using some sort of bomb, the resulting explosion hitting the kitsune dead on, filling the screen with a thick cloud of gray dust. Kagone held his breath, a sense of uneasiness filling him when a burst of black energy crackled from within the cloud, the electrical bolts spreading like tendrils all through out the arena. What the hell is that? The large man's mind cried, gripping the armrests of his chair tightly as he scrutinized the scene before him.

Curiosity gave way to shock as the energy dissipated, the dust clearing to reveal not the slender frame of the human Suuichi but rather the taller, more powerful form of Youko. Kagone gawked in disbelief, letting out a gasp as he took in this revelation. So this is your true form. He thought, his eyes narrowing in contempt as he recovered his senses, watching as Youko took the defensive, twisting and leaping with catlike grace as he evaded the trace bombs Karasu had unleashed upon him.

The kitsune landed on his feet, unleashing an attack of his own that made Kagone recoil in horror. A massive whirlwind of energy erupted around the silver haired Youkai, a dozen or so plant like stems sprouting within the demonic energy simultaneously from the arena floor, destroying the bombs that surrounded him. The dust cleared to reveal large, undulating carnivorous plants that towered dozens of feet above their creator who fixed a cold stare upon his opponent, a stare that chilled Kagone to the bone. For within that steely gaze, the elder understood at last just how dangerous and ruthless the kitsune could be. But his pride and arrogance overran his fear, his lips curling in disgust as he glared upon Kurama's demon form.

Such a loathsome creature! His mind spat. To think Koemna let such a being into the Spirit Realm!

The dark haired man's thoughts shifted, traveling briefly away from the kitsune to the woman he had labeled as a traitor. That stupid wench has chosen a beast as her mate! Abomination! She must not be allowed to live with this foul creature. I will not allow it to happen!

Despite his growing hatred for Kurama, Kagone paid great attention to the subsequent escape of Karasu and his sadistic assault upon the hapless fox spirit who had reverted back to his weaker human form and was unable to defend himself from the bombs that exploded around him, taking bits of flesh and muscle with every impact they made upon his once flawless skin. Other thoughts entered his consciousness. Ones that brought him more questions than answers. Was it possible that the spirit detective was incapable of holding his demon form for very long? If wounded enough could he trap Kurama and thus seal his true power inside? It was true he wanted the detective dead. But not until his plan was complete. After all, the red haired man was the starring player in his quest to strip Torandai of power, replacing himself as the head of Reikai. After that, everything else would fall into place. All he needed was a little more evidence and he would begin.

A flash of blue caught his eye, drawing Kagone out of his reverie. Snaking his left hand out, he grabbed the small black remote resting on his desk and pointed it at the monitor, rewinding then zooming in on the frame. There, beyond and above the arena where the prone form of Kurama lay face down in his own blood, sat a small group the elder recognized as part of Koenma's team. He studied the four women and one blue oni, noting their features and the mixture of different emotions displayed upon their faces, his gaze narrowing upon the blue haired ferry girl. Tears flowed freely down her face, the pain and anguish reflected upon her countenance more severe than those of her companions. A contemptuous smile formed upon Kagone's lips. Were you in love with him even then, woman? He wondered, a scowl flashing across his features as he entered a series of commands via his remote, downloading the frame into his databanks for future use. Once completed, he hit play and watched the rest of the tape, finishing a few hours later. After witnessing the attacks and abilities of the remaining spirit detectives, Kagone came to a rather annoying conclusion. Kurama's friends may prove more meddlesome that I expected. He thought. Closing his eyes, the elder crossed his arms, his features twisted in contemplation. It was true that the detectives were quite dangerous and their attacks were frightening in their intensity. But it's nothing I can't handle. He added confidently as he opened his eyes. Reaching out, Kagone shut the monitor off, light flooding the room once more as he swiveled his office chair back around to his desk. I've fought demons in the same class as each detective and emerged victorious. The detectives would be dealt with. Along with Koenma who would pay for all the mistakes he had wreaked upon his home world. To allow one so tainted and impure as Kurama to even set one foot inside Reikai was unforgivable. Almost as much as allowing that loathsome beast to forge a relationship with a Reigen. His betrayal will not go unpunished. I will met out the justice required for those who break Spirit world law. He vowed, his gaze shifting downward, his cold eyes falling upon the open folder that held the photos of Kurama and Botan side by side. A malicious glow erupted within Kagone's face. "And I will start with you two." He murmured, tapping both pictures once before flipping the folder closed once more.

****

"Are you sure this is what you want to do Kurama?" Botan asked as she walked beside the kitsune down the short walkway that led up to his mother's home. She shifted her gaze to her left, studying her mate with nervous eyes. "Your mother may object to our engagement due to your age."

Kurama stifled a chuckle at her comment. "I've been alive for over three centuries Botan, so despite what my mother may say about my age, you know and I know that it's a moot point." He replied in a teasing voice.

"But Shiori doesn't know that." Botan countered, a sudden stab of anxiety penetrating her heart and mind as she brought her gaze to the fast approaching door in front of her.

The red head turned his attention towards the deity, his features darkening as he sensed the rising tension and nervousness growing within her. Truth be told, a small part of him was nervous as well. His mother meant the world to him. If she were to disapprove of the match, it would break his heart.

And yet.

And yet, Kurama believed Shiori knew the feelings he had for the deity. She had never really said anything but still, he knew that she knew. It was written on his face whenever Botan would visit. Brightening then fading to the calm demeanor he was famous for. He became more open, more cheerful in her presence only to watch with saddened eyes when the deity would leave once again, reserve building a fortress around his heart to hide the pain at her departure. A determined look crossed his features, resolve growing in his heart. I don't want to hide my emotions for Botan anymore. She must know the truth of our union, regardless of the outcome.

Botan studied the kitsune's countenance, frowning at how distant he appeared. "Kurama?" She murmured in concern, hoping to draw his attention back on the present and away from whatever was troubling him.

Kurama stopped just before the step that led up to the maple hued door, turning his lean frame sideways so that he now faced the ferry girl. His features softened at the pained look she gave him and wanting to reassure her he reached out, cupping the left side of the deity's face. Caressing her jaw with his thumb, he spoke, "There is no need for alarm Botan," He began softly, his tone calm and soothing. "Mother loves you. She's known for a long time how I feel about you. We will not be turned away. I promise."

Botan stared in adoration of her mate. Trust and understanding made it's way into her heart and mind, lifting the burden of doubt and anxiety that had plagued her since they had departed from Genkai's. Reaching up, the deity rested her hand against Kurama's, closing her eyes in content. He is right. There is nothing to fear.

Slowly, and with great reluctance, the fox spirit withdrew his hand, bringing it back to his side. Turning back towards the door, he went up the single step followed by Botan. "Ready?" He asked as the two stood side by side.

Botan nodded, drawing in a breath and letting it out slowly as Kurama stretched his right arm at an angle in front of the deity, tapping the door chime with his index finger before retracting his arm back. Reaching out, the blue haired woman entwined her left hand within the kitsune's right and waited, her face a mask of happiness to hide the butterflies swimming in her stomach as she sent a prayer heavenward. Please God, let her approve.

Kurama smiled, giving her a reassuring squeeze.

The door slowly opened, revealing a teenage boy dressed in light blue jeans and a black crew neck sweater. Dark brown eyes studied the pair, a look of complete surprise etched on his handsome face as he stammered, " Suu ... ichi? Miss... Bo... tan?"

Kurama let out a small chuckle, amused at the boy's response to their appearance upon the doorstep. "Hello to you too, Suichi." He greeted his stepbrother.

"Hello Suichi. It's nice to see you again." Botan said in a merry tone that drew the boy's attention over to her.

Suichi stared openly at the deity, drawn in by her voice and her beauty. He had always been fascinated by her unusual blue hair and twinkling purple eyes. She was always so friendly and cheerful that, even though he was a mere thirteen, he could understand why his brother liked spending time with her. "Um ... Hello .. Miss Botan."

Kurama recognized the look of fascination upon his younger brother's face and couldn't help but smile. His sensitive hearing detected the slight deepening in the boy's voice from the last time they had spoke. And unless my eyes deceive me, he's grown a little taller since we last met. He added, mentally gauging his height at around 5' 6". And by the time he reaches my age, he'll probably be taller than me. He thought, remembering his younger years. Going through puberty once was bad enough but Kurama had the misfortune of going through it twice. And for some reason, his existence as a human teenager was infinitely more painful than his one as a fox spirit. A smirk tugged at his lips as he studied Suichi's behavior around Botan. And judging by his reaction to Botan's presence, I'd say he's just discovered girls. He thought, trying to keep his amusement in check as he asked, "May we come in Suichi?"

Suichi blinked, startled at the sound of his brother's voice, the verbal interruption breaking apart his gawkfest with the deity. A slight blush caressed his cheeks as he tore his gaze away from Botan, lowering his head to hide his embarrassment. "Yes of course." He said quickly, turning sideways to allow them entrance.

Kurama made an after you gesture to Botan watching as the ferry girl entered, the kitsune close behind.

No sooner had the younger Suichi shut the door behind him did a light, feminine voice call out from the kitchen situated to the right of the foyer. "Who's here Suichi dear?"

The dark haired boy raised his head, his gaze shifting over in the direction of the voice. "Suuichi and Botan are here mother."

Kurama's ears picked up the sound of running water being shut off, his emerald orbs softening as he watched his mother come nearly rushing out of the kitchen towards them.

"Suuichi!" She exclaimed happily, her arms outstretched as she stopped before the red head.

Kurama stepped into his mother's arms, embracing her gently. "Hello mother." He whispered reverently, drawing back to give Shiori a quick peck on the cheek.

The dark haired woman gazed up at her son, joy filling her features as she spoke, "It's been a while since I last seen you dear."

Kurama gave her an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry mother. I would have visited you sooner but I've been rather busy lately." He replied, pulling slowly away from his mother. The kitsune turned sideways, his tender emerald orbs meeting the loving ones of Botan who came up beside him.

Shiori followed her son's gaze, her features friendly as she greeted the deity. "Hello Botan. You look as lovely as ever."

"Thank you Mrs. Hatanaka," Botan replied, addressing Shiori by her married name. "You're looking pretty good yourself."

Shiori laughed, looking down at her white cable knit sweater and black dress slacks briefly before returning her gaze upon the deity. "I'm flattered you think so. Although I feel my wardrobe could use an upgrade." Pushing her rolled up sleeves to her elbow, she added, "Why don't you two come into the kitchen and I'll fix you a nice cup of hot coffee. Riding on that bike at this time of year must be quite cold."

Kurama's eyes traveled down to the numerous scars that marred the flesh of Shiori's forearms. A sadness crept upon his face. No matter how many times he had seen them, the memory of what happened always bothered him. If he hadn't been so arrogant when he had attempted to reach those paints all those years ago, his mother wouldn't have been hurt. He had been saved from what could of been a lethal injury by the actions of his mother. And although it had proved to be the catalyst for his change within, he still felt remorse for causing her suffering. I'm sorry mother. He thought but said nothing as he complied with her wish, beckoning Botan to follow with a sideways tap with his head.

Little Suichi brought up the rear as the three of them entered the kitchen. The young man drifted over to the black refrigerator tucked at the end of the white marbled counter top that surrounded half of the kitchen while Kurama and Botan walked towards the black coffee machine situated to the right of the stainless steel sink where Shiori stood, retrieving three midnight blue coffee cups from the white cabinet above.

She sat them down on the counter in a row, turning sideways when she noticed the deity and the kitsune watching her. "Why don't you kids go sit down," She said in a motherly tone. "The coffee will take a few minutes to brew."

Botan and Kurama gazed over at each other, a silent look of understanding flashing within their eyes as they returned their attention back on Shiori.

"As you wish mother." Kurama said, turning around to head over to the maple hued rectangular table situated on the other half of the kitchen.

Botan followed silently behind, taking the seat to Kurama's left.

Little Suichi, having chosen a soda from the frig, shut the door and headed over to the table, pulling out the wooden chair opposite his big brother before sitting down. He placed the blue can in front of him, tapping the tab before pressing it open, the snapping sound of metal filling the room. "Sorry." He apologized with a sheepish smile before bringing the can up to his lips for a big swig.

Kurama smiled at his brother as he addressed Shiori who had yet to join them. "I haven't seen father yet," He began softly, studying his mother with curious eyes. "Is he on another business trip?"

There was a slight pause, as if the middle aged woman were debating whether or not to tell him. "Kazuya will be back within the week." She answered at last.

Kurama frowned, noticing the almost imperceptible sag of her shoulders. She was unhappy. But why? He wondered. "Are you all right mother?"

Shiori heard the concern within her son's voice, frowning at the way she must have sounded. "I'm fine dear. Just a .. little lonely."

A knowing look passed across the handsome kitsune's features and he let the subject drop.

The younger Suichi, however fidgeted in his seat, embarrassed of such talk. Particularly in regards to his father. Bringing the can to his mouth, he took another swig before setting the can back down. He lowered his head slightly, casting a shy glance over to Botan. His eyes lit up in curiosity when he spied the engagement ring on her finger. Is that what I think it is? He wondered, drawn out of his thoughts by the kitsune's voice.

"So Suichi, how have you been? Anything exciting happening at school?"

The younger man lifted his head, meeting his brother's curious gaze. "Not much really. Junior high is kind of boring but Judo practice makes up for it." His features turning prideful as he added, "Sensei Iwamoto has even made me captain of our team."

"That's quite an honor." Kurama replied, remembering Toshio Iwamoto's Judo class with fondness.

The dark haired boy nodded, his pride swelling from his step brother's approval. "And we should take home the district championships this year."

"Now Suichi dear, what did I tell you about bragging?" Shiori said, her voice slightly chiding as she came to sit down with the others.

Suichi grinned sheepishly. "Sorry mother." He replied, turning to watch the dark haired woman sit down at the head of the table. Wanting to draw attention away from him, he turned to Botan. "You know that's a really nice ring you have there Miss Botan. Did Suuichi give that to you?"

Botan looked at the boy in surprise, blushing slightly when everyone's eyes gazed upon her.

Sensing her uneasiness, Kurama reached over and rested his hand upon hers, his gaze shifting over to Shiori. "Mother, there's something I need to tell you," He started, drawing in his breath then letting it out slowly as he gathered his courage. "Botan and I are engaged."

Shiori and Suichi stared at the pair in surprise. Both blinking several times before a look of joy bloomed upon their faces.

"No way! That's awesome!" Suichi cried, his gaze passing quickly between the two, the excitement in his voice unmistakable in it's sincerity.

Shiori just continued to study them, a surge of elation filling her. Although she had never really pushed her son to find a girlfriend, she had to admit to being a little nervous at his apparent disinterest towards the fairer sex. Not that she thought her son was odd.

No.

She was more worried about him living his existence alone.

No one to hold him at night.

No one to greet him in the morning.

It broke her heart to think of such things but still the thoughts were there. Until Kurama had introduced Botan to her. Not only had she been relieved to find out her son had developed a friendship with a girl, but she couldn't help but see a connection forming between the deity and the kitsune. There was just something about the girl that seemed to bring out the softer emotions of her son. Every time she came to visit, Shiori had made sure to know a little bit more about the deity. Where she went to school, who her family was, what interests did she have. Upon learning that she had no family, Shiori had made certain to include her in some of their family activities. She had grown to love Botan like a daughter. And come to accept the fact that the blue haired beauty had indeed, whether the kitsune would admit to it or not, stolen her eldest son's heart. And she had to admit they looked good together. Almost as if they were meant to be together. Shiori's mind wandered off, visions of grandchildren waltzing through her head. Their children would be beautiful. As beautiful as the pair before her.

"Mother?"

Shiori flinched, drawn back to the present by her son's gentle but concerned voice. Her gaze met Kurama's, a beaming smile gracing her lips as she said, "That's wonderful Suuichi. It's about time you admit your feelings to her."

Kurama beamed back at her, hope filling his heart. Does that mean? "Then, you approve of this?"

Shiori looked at her son in surprise. "What made you think I wouldn't my son?" She asked.

But Kurama only smiled and shook his head, chagrined by his brief lapse of doubt.

"So when is the wedding going to be?" Suichi asked, not wanting to be left out of the conversation.

Kurama turned to face him. "This spring, after the Sakura trees blossom."

"I think that's a perfect time." Shiori said as she rose from the table.

A sudden thought popped inside Botan's head. Something she felt needed to be asked. "Would you like to help with the planning?" The ferry girl inquired, the first words she had spoken since entering the kitchen.

Shiori studied Botan's earnest features, flattered by her proposal. "I would like that very much." She replied, favoring the deity with a smile before heading over to pour the cups of coffee.

They discussed a few more things for over an hour until the kitsune announced it was time to go.

Shiori and Suichi escorted the pair to the front door, waving them farewell which Kurama and Botan mimicked until the door closed and they were alone once again.

"That went rather well I think." Kurama commented, his arm wrapped around the deity's shoulder, smiling as she snuggled up against him as they walked slowly towards the bike parked at the end of the small driveway.

"I agree," The deity replied, sighing in contentment as she reveled in the close contact between her and her mate. "I just wish ... "

Kurama frowned, sensing her sudden sadness. "What is it Botan?"

Botan lowered her head. "I just wish my parents were here. I wish I could let them know about us."

Kurama hugged her closer to him, stopping a few feet from his bike. "But they do Botan."

The deity brought her head upright, studying him with confused eyes. "What do you mean?"

In answer, Kurama tilted his head back, staring up into the darkening sky. "Even now, somewhere high above, your parents are smiling down upon you."

Botan tilted her head back as well, a tender smile gracing her lips. The thought bringing comfort to her being. The deity closed her eyes as she rested her head against her mate's shoulder. Mother. Father. She began her silent plea, nestling closer to Kurama all the while. I don't know if you can hear me but I don't want you to worry about me. I have found someone who loves me. My soul mate and my friend. His name is Suuichi Minamino but his friends call him by his Youkai name, Kurama. Please don't be upset that I have fallen in love with him. He is good and kind and loving. All the things a woman could ask for. We will be married next year and I .. I would like very much for you to continue smiling down upon me and my mate. And please know that I have always loved you, even if I can't remember much of my life with you.

"Are you ready to go home?" Kurama asked softly, tilting his head back down towards the deity.

"Yes." She murmured, opening her eyes once more and favoring him with a smile. "Home sounds good."

Kurama released his hold upon Botan's shoulders, closing the short distance between him and his bike before hopping on. "Then let's go."

Botan nodded, making her way over to the bike. She slid on behind Kurama, wrapping her arms tightly around his waist, closing her eyes as she rested the side of her face against his back as the kitsune started the engine and slowly maneuvered the bike around before taking off, heading back to Sakaoshimi where home awaited them.

******

Darkness crept slowly across the land of Makai, the setting sun hovering along the horizon, the dark red glow an ominous warning of what was about to come. For in the dense woodland, demons lurked. Scores of them, enticed by the alluring scent of human flesh and chi that traveled upon the melancholy wind that whistled through the branches high above. They were so hungry. So very hungry. The banning of killing humans by the leader of Makai, Enki, was slowly killing them. Most portals within Mukuro's territory were well guarded, inaccessible for those who lived by feasting upon Ningens. And since her territory had the most access to Ningenkai, the female demon was very dedicated to her job of rescuing those foolish humans that accidentally ventured into Makai. But she couldn't be everywhere at once and hardly ever traveled as far as where these five trespassers, dressed in fatigues as black as the packs strapped around their backs, now were.

The pack of demons shadowed the group as they traveled along a wide dirt path that cut a swath through the forest, seemingly unaware of how close to death they were. Leery of some sort of trap, the Youkai maintained their distance, waiting to see just who they were dealing with. But hunger and the lust for blood overrode their fear. Unable to hold back any longer they sprang outward, landing in mass onto the path. Over 150 demons quickly surrounded their prey, many drooling at the rather tasty morsels in front of them.

A chant rose up among the demons, each clamoring for a piece of human flesh.

"I get the arms!" A rather large, blue skin demon with catlike yellow eyes roared, his long talons clawing the air in excitement.

"Not if I get there first!" A winged demon shouted, flapping it's red wings furiously as it lifted into the air.

The humans said nothing, nor did they look at their hunters as the crowd rushed in at once, hoping to take them down quickly. Talons and claws sliced downward within the blink of an eye only to hit empty air as the five "humans" vanished in a gust of wind. The demons stopped, looking around in confusion only to suddenly cry out in pain and rage as many were lifted off the ground against their will and subsequently slammed into the ground. The other Youkai turned around, eyes widening at the sight before them. For now the hunters had become the prey.

Ren smiled at the shock and fear that emanated from them, reveling in the suffering he was inflicting as he raised his hands and attacked again, cutting a swath within the massive crowd, lifting them off their feet. With a flick of his wrist, the demons zoomed upward through the open air, hovering for a few seconds before the dark haired man made a slamming motion with his open palm. The hapless demons rocketed downward, screams of pain erupting into the darkening air as they were impaled upon the branches of the surrounding trees. Blood fell like rain upon the forest floor, splattering the ground in a barrage of liquid pellets. Crimson pools formed at the base of the trees, spreading outward and into the path, carrying with it the stench of death.

But Ren was not alone in his cruelty.

Ailia tortured her prey mentally, reading their worst fears and phobias all the while sending out telepathic commands that made the Youkai hallucinate and turn on each other, hacking and slicing until all that remained were dismembered body parts and the smell of blood while Lina transformed, her petite frame giving way to a taller, more powerful creature. Normally dull human teeth gave way to fangs, her eyes turning into a red hue while razor sharp claws sprang from her hands, clear evidence that her demon side had taken control.

Lina jumped in the middle of the crowd in front of her, swinging viciously in downward and side way strokes, the claws slashing through flesh and bone, severing torsos and heads in her wake. Blood spurted from the lethal wounds of her victims, bathing Lina in a crimson fluid that only enticed the half demon further. Her lust for the kill unquenchable as she ripped apart anything within striking distance.

The fifty or so demons who remained, upon seeing their ranks decimated, tore off in retreat. Those who raced down the path found themselves face to face with Kigorei. They came to a skidding halt, eyeing the blond haired man in fear.

Glowing red eyes greeted them coldly, his handsome features taking on a menacing look as he spread his arms out wide, a burst of yellow erupting around the entirety of his frame. The air grew heavy, the smell of ozone filling the surrounding space as the hair on the back of the demons necks began to rise. The yellow aura intensified, crackling with energy as it shot several feet outward to either side of the blond.

The demons backed away in fear, eyeing the yellow wall in horror. Cries of fear burst from their mouths as Kigorei swung his arms forward, his palms slapping into each other, his lips parting, the words "Lightning Wave" escaping in an even tone as he unleashed his attack. The mass of energy flowed outward, washing over the Youkai who twitched spasmodically, caught up in a hell storm of electric energy that surrounded their bodies, burning flesh and destroying their nervous system. Within seconds the yellow aura disappeared, the Youkai falling to the ground dead, their bodies still twitching from the electrical assault.

Tahomen took the remaining demons who had decided to flee into the forest. As if that will save them from me. He thought as he walked forward, his black boots deftly avoided the carnage littering the once dirt covered path. Stopping at the edge of the woodland growth, he smiled, wickedly. And now for a little sport.

With purposeful motions, the shinobi stretched out his arms in front of him. Clasping his hands, he pressed his index fingers and thumbs together, making the shape of an L. A blue aura surrounded his large frame, lending power to his words as he spoke in a whisper, "Art of the doppleganger."

Some distance away, the retreating demons crashed haphazardly through the trees, their breathing labored and their movements erratic, their fear driving them onward in the foolish hope they could escape. They raced forward for several minutes, not daring to look over their shoulder at what might be chasing them. Convinced that they had put distance between them and their pursuers, the fifteen remaining members of the hunting party stopped, leaning against the trees as they tried desperately to regain their breath.

"Are ... they ... following .. us?" The yellow hued demon asked.

A large troll like creature looked over his shoulder, his black eyes darting about as he scanned the woods before him. "No ..." He answered with a shaky breath, returning his gaze to his companions. "I think were safe."

The yellow demon began to laugh, praising his good fortune. "We've escaped!" He shouted triumphantly, the other Youkai joining him only to gasp in fear as an arrow burst from the yellow demon's throat, cutting off his voice. The demon fell forward, the others shouting out in fear as a great whistling noise smashed into their ears. They turned to escape only to collapse dead as a wave of arrows rained down from above, embedding themselves deeply within the back of the retreating Youkai, slamming them mercilessly into the ground until none remained alive.

Back upon the path, Ren studied his brother, smiling as the shinobi's aura dissipated and his body relaxed. "It is done then?"

Tahomen nodded, pivoting slowly to his left as he met his brother's gaze. "Yes. All of the demons are dead. As you wished it to be." He answered, making his way over to Ren who stood near Ailia, Kigorei and the now reverted Lina along an unblemished part of the path.

"Excellent." Ren replied, favoring his group with a rare smile only to have it fall when Ailia spoke.

"And just what is so excellent about destroying a mass of lower class demons?" The dark haired lady asked, her features full of irritation as she glared at her leader. "I was hoping for something more challenging that wandering around Makai, killing weakening Youkai as we go."

Ren brought his focus over to his left where the dark haired lady stood. "And I will provide you with that challenge my dear." He answered coolly.

"And just how do you plan on doing that Ren?"

The dark haired man shifted his gaze to the right where the unspoiled path lay, his features one of tested patience though his voice remained calm. "This path leads into the territory of Yomi, one of Kurama's old partner's from his days as a Youkai thief. There are many within his lands that hold A+ power and some that go beyond it." He paused, returning his attention to Ailia. "That is where you will find your challenge. Where we will all find our challenge."

"And how soon before we enter Yomi's territory?" Kigorei asked, his features darkening at the answer he knew would come.

"A day. Maybe more." Ren answered, ignoring the glares Ailia and Lina threw at him. Tilting his head back, his gray eyes studied the darkening sky with interest, his human features taking on a placid look. "Night will be upon us soon, so I suggest we get a move on and find a suitable place to make camp."

"Make camp!" Ailia shouted, her temper flaring at his suggestion. "Are you proposing we stay outside in this god forsaken land!"

Ren remained calm as he continued to gaze upward. "This is Makai, Ailia. Unless you're in the more populated areas, a bed and bath are hard to come by." He answered, bringing his eyes downward at last, his gaze unrelenting as he added, "So unless you want to chicken out and head back home, you will learn to deal with it."

Ailia growled, irritated at his authoritative tone but said nothing as she looked away from him.

"Anybody else have a problem with my decision?" Ren asked, studying his team with hardened eyes, as if daring anyone else to challenge his authority.

The others shook their head, not willing to delay their journey any longer.

"Then let's move." The dark haired man ordered, pivoting sideways and marching forward, the other team members bringing up the rear as they continued forward in search of a place to rest for the night.

*****

Around an hour later, a suitable spot was found. A short distance off the pathway, lay a small opening of land between some conifer type trees. An bubbling sound was carried upon the breeze bringing with it the smell of damp earth, indicating a stream was near by. Ren eyed the area satisfactorily. "This will do."

The others nodded, sliding off their backpacks as they settled down beside one of the massive gray hued tree trunks that surrounded them all save Tahomen who went off in search of wood to start a fire. Sometime later, after a small dinner consisting of energy bars and bottled water they had brought along, four of the five members bedded down for the night. Kigorei and Tahomen remained sitting against their respective tree trunks, their knees bent upright and their heads lowered in a light sleep while Lina and Ailia chose to lay upon the ground, using their back packs as pillows as they slept near the fire. Only Ren remained awake, poking idly from time to time at the roaring fire before him.

The dark haired man found himself unable to sleep, the lay of the land triggering memories. Memories of anger and desolation. Truths he had not known revealed during the bloody and brutal chaos that raged towards the land of his childhood. And images that still burned like fire to this very day. Ren closed his eyes, reliving the pain that fueled his rage.

~~~~~~

Late summer, 1468, within the borders of the Kinki district of Japan.

Late was the hour upon which he had woke, his sensitive hearing picking up the hushed tones of several men talking. He had always been a light sleeper, a fact that pleased his father immensely. For one must always be aware of the surroundings, even in sleep, lest an enemy come to cut their throat. The boy held his father in great esteem. As did the rest of Niwa village, a home founded by his father as a refuge and training ground for Shinobi. Safely hidden between the borders of steep mountains and trackless forests that littered the area, Niwa village seemed the ideal place for those who studied the art of shadow to live. And Kasahiro Minamuto was the greatest Shinobi of the group, earning the title clan leader after defeating all opponents in battle. And it was Kasahiro's voice he heard above all others, the concern not gone unnoticed by his ears as the boy rose off his futon and made his way into the kitchen area.

A group of six men, dressed in some kind of armor he had never seen before, sat upon mats, their backs turned to the boy who studied them with a deep frown. Who were these men and why were they talking to his father.

Kasahiro's gaze shifted almost imperceptibly, his gray eyes meeting Ren's as a silent communication commenced, the meaning all too clear to Ren.

Go back to bed and I'll tell you about it in the morning.

The boy complied, backing silently away and allowing his father to continue with his conference, sliding back under the covers, casting one last glance over at his younger brother who snored softly on the other side of the room before closing his eyes and willing himself to sleep.

"But father why must you go?" Ren asked the following morning as he watched his father packed provisions and clothing within a large white cloth before tying it together.

"Because Lord Yagyu has asked for our assistance. He is our Daimyo and as such, it is our duty to answer his call." The tall, dark haired man answered somberly, turning away from his son, tucking his secret powder packs within the special pockets he had made inside his black gi.

A look of determination spread upon the boy's face. "Then let me go with you father. I can fight."

"You are only twelve years old Ren. I don't want to see my eldest son lost to some meaningless war." Kasahiro countered, smiling as his son interjected.

"Then why are you going to fight if it's meaningless father?"

Kasahiro sighed. "Because it is my duty Ren. I may not like it but a man has a responsibility to his word. I gave Lord Yagyu my word. Shall I now go back on it simply because I do not agree with his taking sides in this war?"

Ren lowered his head. "No father." He answered, realizing the shame it would case their village if their men chose not to fight. "But still I want to fight."

Kasahiro stopped his preparations and walked over to his son. Reaching out, he rested his hands upon the boy's shoulders. "Perhaps someday you will my son. But not today. I'm counting on you to keep this village safe." The large man told his son, his gaze shifting up to meet the tear filled brown orbs of his wife, Aiko, who approached them slowly, Tahomen behind her.

Kasahiro released Ren's shoulders, ruffling the boy's hair as Aiko came to stand to the side of him while Tahomen stood beside Ren.

The dark haired man, reached up wiping the tears from his wife's eyes before leaning forward to give her a soft kiss. Which made Ren and Tahomen look downward in embarrassment.

"Sir it's time to go." A deep masculine voice shouted into their home.

Ren recognized the voice as belonging to Saburo Yamada, his father's second in command and almost as skilled as Kasahiro himself.

Kasahiro broke off the kiss, pulling his wife into a gentle embrace. "I will return to you love." He whispered into Aiko's ear before releasing his hold and grabbing his things. "I will see you boys soon. Take care of your mother while I'm away." He added, turning to look at his family one last time before exiting his home.

Two months passed, Summer changing to Fall, warmth leaving the land as the coming of winter called upon the winds that tore through the trees. And for the moment, Niwa village remained unscathed, believing themselves safe from the outside world. Although a few men remained behind, the women were equally skilled, taught by their fathers or brothers the way of shadow fighting so that they too could defend themselves if need be.

And that time came upon a late fall day. A day that Ren would witness firsthand the brutal way of war and the damage it could inflict upon a frail young mind. He had gone out early in the morning to fetch some drinking water from the nearby stream in the woods. He was halfway to his destination when a piercing scream ripped through the morning air. Ren froze, his ears gauging the direction of the noise, his features darkening as another scream and then another met his ears. The answer came instantly to him. No! His mind cried, dropping the bucket as he whirled around, racing up the slope of trees in a blur, his adrenaline fueling his legs as he continued onward. He made it within minutes only to skid to a halt at the sight before him.

Blood.

It was everywhere.

Along the walls of the homes.

Upon the ground where he stood.

Bodies lined the pathways around the village, some were of his people. And others wore clothing he had never seen before. He studied the blue fabric, fascinated at the design and subsequent lack of armor. Who where these people and why did they dress so strangely? A war cry smashed into the boy's sensitive ears, causing him to wince in pain. He snapped his head upright, his eyes widening at what he saw.

There, in the center of their village, the battle continued. But the people he saw no longer appeared to be human. For no human could wield a blade that glowed like fire as the men in blue did or shoot out flames and strange orbs of light like those of the shinobi did. What kind of sorcery is this? His mind cried, trying to comprehend what he was seeing. He stood paralyzed, too frightened in awe to move as he watched the invaders hack and slash their way through the ranks, more blood and body parts flying in their wake.

Just then a piercing scream filled the air, the noise different then the death cries of those still engaged in battle. He knew that sound. Knew who it originated from. A frightened look crossed his boyish features, one thought running through his mind as life returned to his limbs. Mother!

Ren raced towards his home, the ongoing carnage momentarily forgotten as he rounded a corner, coming to a halt a dozen or so feet from his house. His eyes widened in fear and anger as witnessed five men surround his mother who stood alone in the dirt path, her arm bleeding profusely, her features pained as the tallest man standing before her reached out and grabbed her wound.

"Where is Kasahiro?" The man growled menacingly.

Aiko shook her head, eyeing the man with long black hair defiantly.

The man squeezed her arm tightly, blood oozing through his hand as Aiko screamed in agony. "Tell me where he is wench and I promise to kill you quickly."

At the sight of seeing his mother being abused, something inside of Ren snapped, a new power growing within him.

The man suddenly released Aiko's shoulder and whirled around, his white cape swirling violently from the motion. Hard blue eyes bore holes into the gray ones of Ren who glared at him angrily. A barking sound erupted from the large man's lips, as if he found the boy in front of him amusing.

"Well, well. What have we here?" The tall man asked in a disdainful tone, his lips twisted into an amused sneer. "A child of Kasahiro's perhaps?" He added, flashing the boy a threatening look.

Ren just stared at the man with undisguised hatred, his gray eyes darkening as he spoke in a voice much too low for a child. "You will leave my mother alone."

The man in blue hiked up an eyebrow, but the sneer remained as he replied, "And if I don't?"

The boy's features twisted into a look of pure malice as he stepped forward. "Then I will kill you." He growled.

The man snorted. "A child of a demon kill me? Don't make me laugh boy." He said contemptuously.

A look of surprise flashed across Ren's features. Demon? He repeated in his mind, confused and troubled at the comment. Did that mean that his father was ... Ren had no time to ponder such questions as the tall man turned towards his men.

"Kill him." He ordered coldly, as his taunting eyes returned their attention back upon Ren.

"Yes sir." The men replied in unison, stalking forward towards the boy who stood rigidly still.

"No wait! You can't kill him!" Aiko shouted , a frightened look etched upon her face as she stared fearfully at her son. "He's just a boy! Please leave him alone! " She pleaded, rushing forward in an attempt to get past the men who blocked her way.

She didn't get very far as the tall man lashed out, backhanding the woman with such force she was lifted off her feet. "Shut up wench! This doesn't concern you!" The leader snarled, his eyes never leaving the boy's who watched in horror as his mother's petite frame flew backwards for several feet, a gasp of anguish escaping from his parted lips as she landed with a resounding crash upon and through the wall of a neighbor's home.

Rage surged through Ren's veins, a cry of vengeance echoing within his mind. He saw not the men charging towards him, ready to run him through with those strange glowing blades clasped within their hands. The only thing he saw was the sneering face of the man who had harmed his mother. A cry of unbridled fury burst forth from the gray eyed boy's throat, the very ground quaking as he raised his arms, his body aflame with a blue light of such intensity the men charging towards him stopped to cover their eyes. The power continued to rise until at last Ren unleashed the beast snarling for release, the invisible attack smacking into the men with such force they were tossed up and to the side like rag dolls. Debris started to lift into the air, brought to life by Ren who stalked forward. Stone, dirt, rocks and even the planks of wood from the nearby homes hovered on either side of the him. Crooking his forearm, Ren made a downward motion, the objects rocketing through the air heading straight for the leader who merely smirked and held up his own hand.

A barrier burst around the tall man's frame, the projectiles bouncing harmlessly away.

Surprise erupted upon Ren's features as the man disappeared instantly from view. Nervous gray eyes darted about the area only to widen as he felt a dark presence behind him. In that same instant, the large man's fist smacked into the back of the boy's head.

The world grew dark, spots of red swimming within his vision as Ren was lifted off his feet, rocketing forward for dozens of feet, his slender frame crashing then skidding to a stop in the dirt below. Ren tried to lift himself up but his arms would not obey his commands, the energy that once filled him faded, fleeing his now broken body. The boy closed his eyes, cursing his weakness. What would his father think upon returning to find the village destroyed and his family gone. He had failed. Failed his father and his people. I'm sorry. Was all he could think even as his still perfect ears picked up the growing sound of shoes scuffling along the dirt towards him. He welcomed the death that would surely befall him now, hoping that his family would welcome him into the after life, their arms open as they cried out joyfully ....

~~~~~~

"Ren?"

The dark haired man's eyelids snapped open. Twisting his head to the left, his distant gray eyes met the concerned blue ones of a crouched Kigorei. "What is it Kigorei? Trouble sleeping?" He asked in his usual cool tone that made the younger man frown.

Being closest to his leader, the blond had been the first to hear the gasp of pain and the first to awaken from it. That it would be Ren that was actually suffering surprised him. Truth be told he knew only bits and pieces of why the man before him was so intent on invading Reikai. A family grudge dating back thousands of years between Ren's ancestors and the leaders of the spirit realm. Is that what Ren was thinking about just now? Was he remembering his past? He wondered but kept his thoughts to himself. "No. It is my turn on watch and I just wanted to let you know so you could catch up on some rest."

Ren turned away, his gaze focusing on the fire's dying flame. "There is no rest for me Kigorei. Not until we complete our training and take the detectives out." He answered but rose from his spot, heading over to the tree where the blond had been sleeping. "But since you're up, be my guest." He added, sliding down unto his butt as he leaned back against the conifer's smooth bark. Crossing his arms, he closed his eyes. Memories of the past gave way to ambitions of the future. Once he and Tahomen acquired the final techniques, phase three of their plan would be set into motion. The detectives won't even know what hit them. He thought, a smile creeping across his lips at what would soon be his. And once I've claimed Botan as my own, my ticket to Reikai is assured.

Okay guys don't kill me. I know this must have been painful to read but I had to give you some more background on Ren's past. Although really it was just a partial glimpse. It is certainly not the full story. And I'm sure you could figure out who attacked Ren's village all those years ago. I'm sure some of you have questions like where was Tahomen during all this and did their mother survive? And just who the hell were those shinobi really? Well, you'll out more soon. Questions and comments are always welcomed.