Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ After the Fall ❯ A Brother's Love ( Chapter 34 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Quick reviewer responses:

Wriggz: Thanks man. I'm glad you liked that last chapter and I hope this was to your liking as well. Happy ending you say? From the votes I've been getting on the other site I post this on, it looks like that's how it will end up. So no worries,eh? I thanks for leaving me a few words, I appreciate it.

Spooky-dono: Cool! Portuguese! Too bad I don't know your native language because the length of your review was awesome. I know a decent amount of French and a tiny bit of Spanish but no Portugese so I'm going to have to guess. I'm thrilled you love the interaction between Kurama and Botan. That's my favorite YYH couple so I write about them. And Yusuke and Kuwabara are very funny with their banter. Yes, indeedy! I'm glad you've liked this story so far and I hope this chapter was as entertaining as the others were. Thanks for reviewing!

Onto the story!

Chapter 34--A Brother's Love

Ren walked slowly down the paved street that led to his residence, a heavy step in his gait as he moved. A murky darkness surrounded him, signaling the fall of night as it laid claim to the land. Several minutes passed before he reached the first in a long row of street lamps that fluttered to life with the coming of evening. He stepped into the lighted path, his lean frame basking in the soft glow, allowing him at last to check his watch. Bringing his left hand up, the gray eyed man tilted his head downward, a frown forming upon his face as he noted the time of 10:30. I've been gone for over twelve hours.

Normally, Ren loved to walk. It always made the rage fade away into nothingness, leaving only the calm demeanor he had maintained for hundreds of years. But not this time. The mere mention of the kitsune's name had set Ren off. Hearing it from Botan's lips was even worse and since then Ren had tried in vain to expel the hate swirling within his heart. But no amount of walking had done the trick. Not even the fights he engaged in sometime later stemmed the tide of dark emotions that threatened to overwhelm him. Even so, Ren had discovered a rather important thing during his travels throughout Tokyo that bared repeating. But what did it all mean? He wondered as he left the center of Tokyo, making his way slowly through the crowd of people that lined the busy metropolis into the more peaceful northern district where his home awaited him. Where Botan awaited him.

Although most of Botan's memory had be changed, Kurama still had some hold upon her. And that pissed off Ren to no end.

Kurama. He growled inwardly, his features twisting into a look of complete disdain. Just the mere thought the fox spirit's name brought such loathing, it took every ounce of his will power to shove down the desire to hunt Kurama down and kill him like the animal he was. And it didn't help matters that the Makai thief still had a hold on Botan's heart, albeit a fading one. But how was such a thing possible? Had he failed in some way? Or had Ailia purposely disobeyed him by allowing the deity to remember the kitsune. Ren's features darkened even more as a new thought came to mind. Ailia has disregarded my orders before. I wouldn't put it past her to do something like this to spite me. Botan should be completely mine now. So why does she still remember that bastard Kurama? What is it that binds her so tightly to him? He clenched his jaw, feeling the anger rise within him once again.

Ren closed his eyes, forcing his emotions to the side, anger morphing to contemplation as a new possibility arose. Maybe the telepathic alteration wasn't to blame. Maybe something else was at work. A problem he had failed to take into account. But what? What was the missing link?

It doesn't matter. He countered. Botan will belong to me. One way or another.

Opening his eyes once again, Ren shook off the nagging fear and doubt that had crawled into his consciousness. He was so close to his goal now. Nothing was going to stand in his way of claiming what was his. Ailia will just have to try harder to reshape Botan's memories. A look of angered determination spread across Ren's face as he stepped forward, progressing once again down the sidewalk. Or else I will make sure she never reaches Reikai again.

&&&&&

Ailia lay wrapped within the darkness of the spare room in Ren's loft, her features twisted in a look of deep thought as she stared idly up at the ceiling. Sleep had proven a futile exercise, her mind too active to allow for rest. So many things had happened in the past few hours. Things that tried to bust through the safety wall around Ailia's emotions. Lust and anger had been constant companions during her journey for most of her Ningenkai existence, but now it seemed sympathy and concern were the more dominating feelings within her heart. And it all revolved around Botan.

Why can't I just let it be? Why can't I forget? She wondered, her brow furrowing as she answered her own question. Because what Ren did was wrong.

Not for the first time did Ailia question Ren's decision to alter Botan's mind. He merely had to force the deity to open the Reikai portal. Why make her forget everything? Everyone? What purpose did it serve besides his own selfish need for Botan's affection? Something she would never give to him willingly. And still he persists in claiming her as his own. Foolish man, anyway.

Ailia tilted her head to the right, her eyes focusing upon the wall that separated her room from the master bedroom. She concentrated her senses, noting with relief that the deity had fallen asleep. And yet Ren was not with her. Strange. Ailia thought as she closed off her mind. Though no windows existed in the room she was in, the dark haired woman knew it was still evening. So just what had Ren been doing all this time away? Where was he at the moment? And why didn't he see fit to tell me his reasons for leaving Botan under my supervision?

Ailia?

Ren's voice suddenly entered her mind, startling her. Though troubled by how easily her leader had broken through her mental barrier, Ailia wasted no time answering him. What is it Ren? She replied telepathically. Is something wrong?

Come outside. We need to talk.

Ailia rose from bed, letting out a soft sigh as she straightened out her clothing. Running a hand through her hair, the ex-girl walked slowly towards the door, opening then closing it as she entered the darkened space of the loft. She turned her attention to the left, keen blue orbs settling themselves upon the form of Ren who stood with his back to her. She made her way towards him, a faint metallic smell reaching her nostrils, causing her to crinkle her nose in disgust. It was blood. His blood and .. several demons. Ailia came to a stop on Ren's left, mentally taking note of the rips in the fabric of the man's black dress shirt. Upon closer inspection, she noticed the exposed skin was free of any marks or bruising. But why hadn't he cleaned up before coming home. What if Botan saw him like this and started asking questions? Hadn't he even considered that possibility. "Ren?" She called out softly, her voice questioning as she stood still and waited for him to answer.

When he didn't reply, she changed tactics, her voice growing demanding, hoping it would push him to respond. "So just where in the hell have you been all this time?"

Ren took a few seconds before answering. "Walking."

"Walking?" Ailia replied with an air of disbelief. "Where did you walk to, if I may ask?"

"All over Tokyo."

Of course. Ailia thought, studying Ren with knowing eyes. Her leader always had a propensity to walk whenever he became upset or frustrated. Except it didn't work this time. She commented inwardly as she focused her gaze upon Ren's ruined clothing once again. "And the blood, did you get that while walking too?"

Ren did not shift his gaze, his cold gray eyes staring impassively through the windows before him. "I may have made a stop here and there."

"To that demon fight club, I suppose?"

Ren nodded.

Ailia narrowed her eyes. But that's not all you did. She thought to herself. Sensing he was hiding more from her, Ailia prodded him further. "And what else did you do?"

Ren smiled, impressed with her deductive prowess. "Well, I may have spent some time following the detectives around town as well."

"What?!" Ailia cried in a shocked whisper. "Didn't you stop to think how much danger you could have been in? What if they spotted you?"

Ren waved her concern away. "They wouldn't have seen me even if I were standing right in front of them. They were too preoccupied searching the city for Botan."

Ailia's eyes widened at his statement. If they were looking for the deity in Tokyo, that meant they had somehow been tipped off. "But how did they know she was in the city?"

Ren frowned, just as puzzled as Ailia. "I'm not certain. Perhaps Kurama sensed something he shouldn't have." He replied, turning at last to face her.

Ailia's features hardened at the implied tone of his voice, her stare just as dark as the one Ren threw at her. "I tried to tell you before of the bond between Kurama and Botan, but you wouldn't listen to me."

Ren glared at her for a few seconds more before returning his attention to the window. "I knew there was a bond between them. A bond of mates is it not?"

Ailia shook her head. "It is more than a physical bond, Ren. It's a soul bond."

Ren's features twisted in rage, his body nearly quaking at the revelation. The injustice of it all burned like liquid fire within the depths of his soul, setting off his recently repressed rage . Dammit! This can't be! Botan was supposed to be mine! He wanted to shout but kept silent, clenching his jaw in an attempt to hold back the roar that begged to escape from his throat. "Are you telling me they are connected at the soul?" He growled between gritted teeth as his breath escaped in sharp bursts.

Ailia backed away slightly, her senses overwhelmed by the waves of anger radiating from Ren. But she stood her ground, determined to make Ren understand the full extent of his choice. Pushing down her rising fear, she answered in an equally hard tone. "Yes. The two are soul mates." She admitted. "Now you see why it was so foolish to alter her mind, Ren? You've now condemned Botan to death. Along with Kurama."

Ren frowned. "What do you mean?" He asked, the confusion evident in his voice as he turned to her.

Ailia sighed. "She's dying, Ren." She began. "When you had me alter Botan's memories, she in turn began to forget about Kurama. The bond between them is slowly being severed. And both of them suffer because of it."

"I don't believe you." Ren retorted heatedly, black beginning to swirl within the gray pools of his eyes as he glared at Ailia.

But the ex-ferry girl did not back down from his unrelenting gaze. Instead she met it head on, her voice full of undeniable conviction as she replied. "Believe it, Ren. If I hadn't been here with Botan earlier, she would have been dead and our cause lost."

Ren shook his head, a pained look taking hold of his features as he forced himself to turn away from Ailia, lest he do something stupid and throttle her for the truth she spoke. Much as he didn't want to hear it, in his heart he knew Ailia was right.

Ailia, sensing the change in her leader's demeanor, softened the tone of her voice. "I'm sorry Ren, but Botan will continue to weaken. The longer you keep her away from Kurama, the closer she is to death."

"I will not let her go." Ren growled, his features growing defiant as he continued to stare out into the darkness of night.

"You want her to die?!" Ailia countered heatedly, growing increasingly frustrated at Ren's stubbornness. "Is that what you want?!"

Ren said nothing, merely continued to focus his gaze outside.

Ailia shook her head, disgusted at her boss's attitude, she began to turn away when Ren suddenly asked,

"What happened to her while I was gone?"

"Botan collapsed. Her energy fled so fast from her body, I was surprised I was even able to save her." Ailia replied, turning back to face Ren.

"And what was the reason for her collapse, do you think?"

Ailia paused, not wanting to upset her leader anymore than he already was. But he must know the truth if he is to understand the error of his decision. "Something has happened to Kurama."

At the mention of the kitsune's name, Ren stiffened.

Ailia frowned. Lately it seemed that the mere mention of Kurama brought out the darker side of Ren's nature. But why? What was it about the fox spirit that made Ren so upset? "Why do you hate him so much?"

"Because he took what didn't belong to him!" Ren snapped, whirling sideways to face the ex-ferry girl. He advanced forward, forcing a nervous Ailia to back peddle away from him. "Why should he be allowed a relationship with someone from a different world when my own grandfather was killed because of it!"

Ailia winced as her back smacked into the wall, her eyes never leaving Ren's as she watched him stalk towards her before coming to a stop less than a foot away. At first she thought he might attack her but he merely glared hatefully as he continued his rant.

"Why should he win the love of Botan when she doesn't truly belong to him! It should have been me that bonded to her! Not that damn Makai thief!"

"But Botan doesn't belong to you, Ren." Ailia retorted, understanding at last the motivation for Ren's behavior. And it all had to do with jealously. "You have to let her go."

Ren stared at Ailia for a few seconds, a bark of laughter escaping past his lips before he closed the distance between them. "And what about you fixation with Kurama?" He said with a sneer as he fixed a level stare upon his subordinate. "Are you truly willing to give him up?"

Ailia turned away from him only to gasp when she felt Ren's hands clamp down hard around her shoulders. She snapped her head back towards him, wincing as her leader tightened his grip.

"Well, are you?" Ren growled, his features darkening at the look of hate brimming upon Ailia's face.

"It's pointless now," Ailia answered as she stared defiantly into the angered orbs of Ren. "He is bonded to Botan and she to him. And your actions will end up killing them both." She paused briefly, letting her words sink in before adding with a warning growl. "Now let me go before I break your hands."

Ren smirked but did as she ordered, loosening his hold before dropping his hands to the side and backing away from her. He watched in mild amusement as Ailia straightened her frame and glared angrily at him. "Make no mistake," He began, in a voice of dark promise. "Kurama will die but not before the Reikai portal is open."

"And how do you plan on keeping Botan alive after Kurama's dead?" Ailia asked, watching guardedly as Ren moved back to the window and away from her.

Ren's smirk remained as he spoke. "It may be true that Botan and that miserable kitsune share a soul bond but not for long."

Ailia frowned. "What are you talking about, Ren?" She asked. "You can't erase the bond with out killing them both."

"Whoever said I was going to erase it?" Ren replied. "In fact, I think this bond will come in handy. Very handy indeed." He added cryptically, his features lighting up at the new thoughts that flowed within his mind. "In the meantime, final preparations are under way. Kigorei has been dispatched to find out what exactly Yusuke knows."

"And the others?" Ailia asked, thankful for a change of subject.

"They will know what to do when the time comes. Until then, Botan must be kept safe and healthy." Ren answered. "I trust you can help in that regard."

Ailia's body tensed in irritation at the veiled threat that lay within his words but she kept her thoughts to herself as she nodded. "I will make sure she remains alive."

"See that you do." Ren replied in a dismissive tone, watching as Ailia retreated to the spare room before returning his gaze to the darkened skyline outside his window.

&&&&&

"I think he's dead."

These words echoed within the mind of Kurama who fought against the darkness that held his consciousness hostage. More words met his ears, the tones hushed, conspiratorial in nature and Kurama couldn't help but wonder what was happening. His senses detected the smell of humans without much ki at all. Not threatening but still, I should get up before they call for the police. This however proved rather difficult. His body was still feeling the effects of the weakening soul bond and try as he might, his limbs refused to cooperate. Kurama began to concentrate, forcing his energy into the tired muscles of his arms and legs only to suddenly feel a foot smash into his stomach, the force slamming his back into the brick wall that lined the narrow alleyway he had collapsed in.

"Come on Konji, let's split before the cops find us." The same voice spoke nervously, drawing out the ire of a the man named Konji.

"This guy ain't dead, Tsume." Konji replied in a sneering voice. "He probably had too much to drink and passed out here in the alleyway. Let me get his wallet and we'll split."

A scuffle of shoes reached the kitsune's ears, indicating the one named Konji was squatting down beside him. Anger began to rise within the fox spirit, his Youko self emerging just as the boy frisked his pockets. Filled with the energy of his demon side, Kurama reacted. Quick as lightning, his left hand snaked out and wrapped around the offender's right one and squeezed.

The sound of snapping bones filled the air, followed instantly by an intense howl of pain as Konji's hand was crushed. "Aahhh .. my hand .. the bastard broke my hand!"

Kurama's eyelids slowly opened, revealing glowing gold eyes that fixed themselves upon a group of four men who stared at him in abject horror, too frightened to move.

"A demon ... " One of them whispered in terror. The fear was palpable, the scent of urine filling the air as the men lost control of their bowels. Kurama could hear the pounding of their hearts, his Youko side highly amused by such a reaction. They're afraid of me. As they should be. he growled inwardly with pride. "Trying to steal from a thief were we? I must say this is most amusing," Youko's voice flowed through cracked lips. "if a little foolish." He added before releasing his hold upon the thrashing dark haired human that had tried to rob him.

Konji clutched his useless right hand with his left, cradling it against his black leather jacket as he shot quickly backwards, his jeans making loud scuffing sounds as he slid his butt along the pavement. Frightened apple-green eyes studied the rising form of the red head who met his stare with one of disgust.

"We .. we .. didn't .. mean nothing by ... it .. honest .. " A tall, pale kid no more than fifteen years old stuttered.

Kurama merely smiled evilly as he stalked forward, his power rising with every step he made. "Is that so?" He said in a low growl meant to frighten them even more. "Then I guess you won't be too upset when I kill you. After all .. it's nothing personal ..." And with that he made a mock lunge towards them.

The move proved to be all the motivation the gang needed. Screaming at the top of their lungs, the boys shot out of the alleyway, dragging the wounded Konji with them. Kurama let out a chuckle, his Youko side enjoying the small bit of entertainment. Suuichi took control a few seconds later as his youkai energy faded, leaving Kurama feeling tired once more. His human body was growing weaker. But why wasn't his demon side affected? How was he able to use so much of his youkai energy?

Because Youko's stronger than I am. He answered himself only to let out a gasp as his legs failed him and he fell backward into the wall, collapsing onto his rear. I won't last much longer like this. Kurama thought, shaking his head as a bout of dizziness settled in his brain again, rendering him disorientated. The fox spirit growled at the pain that flared within his mind and heart, cursing himself for not thinking before using so much reserve energy. I shouldn't have scared those kids like that. He berated himself in self loathing. Now look at me. Too weak to even stand up. Memory returned to him, Botan's loss affecting him just as it did before. If he were to pass out again, an enemy, maybe even Ren himself, would find him and kill him before he had a chance to see Botan again. I can't let that happen. I must find her.

By sheer will power, the kitsune rose to his feet, his back sliding up against the brick building as he moved. He turned to face the wall, using it to support his shaky frame as he slid forward, his hands gripping the bricks as he pulled himself along. I have to keep moving. I have to keep moving. He repeated over and over, even as he stepped out into the open, mingling with the crowd of humans once more.

&&&&&

Yoh walked down the sidewalk, weaving expertly around a large throng of giggling human females, too absorbed in his search for Kurama to realize the outburst meeting his ears was due to the girls ogling him as he passed. He had broken off from Yusuke's group after the others had agreed to call it a night. But Yoh had nowhere really to go, no commitments that needed attending to. Besides, I made a vow to help in anyway I can. Maybe I'll get lucky and find Botan or even Kurama nearby. The Reigen let out a heavy sigh. Yeah, right. What are the odds of that happening? Like next to zero. He shook his head at the impossibility but continued onward, heading north towards the less dense area of Tokyo. Though fewer high rise buildings were there, it was just as good a spot to check as anywhere else. Didn't a lot of artisans and fashionable people live in the northern districts? And if I remember correctly, Ren's suits always fit him well. Maybe he had them tailored?

Yoh continued to ponder the possibilities only to come to a dead stop as a familar ki reached his senses. Is that... ? He wondered his features twisting into surprise at the energy intensified. It is him! Without delay, the young Reigen tore off, beyond the sight of mortals, heading straight for the flare of ki he sensed.

&&&&&

Kurama labored along through the crowds that lined the walkways downtown, a look of intense concentration gracing his handsome face. Each step became more painful but Kurama pressed onward, intent on finding a place to rest. He couldn't go back to his mother's. Nor did he have the strength or will to go back to his apartment in Sakaoshimi. So where should he go? A hotel? He didn't have much money left in his wallet. And I certainly don't want to spend it on a room. So what do I do?

A stabbing pain suddenly shot up his legs, causing the kitsune to stop. He held back the cry of agony that begged to be unleashed, instead clenching his jaw tightly shut as he reached out with his right hand and pressed it against the window of a shop, using it to support his wearied frame. Kurama held still, waiting for the pain to pass but it only intensified. What is wrong with me? He wondered, a frown forming on his face as his vision began to blacken once again. No! I can't pass out now! Not around all these people! If he were to lose consciousness on the crowded sidewalk, the bystanders would call the police who would in turn call an ambulance. Kurama couldn't afford to be put in a hospital. It would bring unnecessary attention to his condition and worry his mother to no end. I won't have her involved in any way! He growled, trying to shake off the bout of weakness he felt but it was all in vain. Kurama's hand slipped from the glass, his arm falling limply to the side as he began to fall forward. His eyelids grew heavy, his body accepting it's destiny with the cold, impersonal pavement below only to suddenly stop in mid air. Kurama's brow furrowed at his situation only to have his features shift into surprise as he sensed a familar presence and heard an all too familar voice cry out behind him.

"Suuichi!" Yoh cried in concern. It had been a few minutes since the blond Reigen had last sensed the ki burst coming from Kurama. After that he lost the trail but his keen eyesight had spotted the red head a short distance ahead. Yoh charged forward, determined to help his friend only to speed up as he saw Kurama start to fall down. Without thinking he had reached out, grabbing tightly to the back of the kitsune's jacket, stopping him from smacking into the hard pavement below. "Are you all right?" Yoh asked, pulling Kurama up to his feet only to gasp as the fox spirit fell back into him, nearly knocking the smaller man into the window beside them. "Suuichi?" Yoh repeated, his features darkening as he felt the weakening of Kurama's ki. He's lost consciousness! His mind cried as he reclaimed his balance while maintaining a hold of his friend. This was bad. Very bad. He needs help, but where do I take him?

Yoh looked around, trying to gain sense of his surroundings. Both Yusuke and Kuwabara lived within one of the Tokyo wards. But which one was closer? The answer came to him a few minutes later. Setting his feet, Yoh wrapped his right arm around the waist of the suddenly heavy kitsune while throwing Kurama's arm around his neck and gripping the fox spirit's forearm with his left hand for additional support. "Hang on Kurama, I'll get you someplace safe." Yoh vowed as he walked to the edge of the sidewalk, the kitsune in tow, and made a hailing gesture quickly with his left hand before returning it upon Kurama's forearm. A yellow cab pulled up a few seconds later and after some effort, Yoh managed to get the fox spirit into the car before hopping in and giving the cabbie the directions required. The cab then sped off, heading towards the eastern side of Tokyo and into the district that Kazuma Kuwabara called home.

&&&&&

Kuwabara sat hunched over at the student desk in his room, a mask of intense concentration upon his face as he focused his gaze down upon the large map before him. Black kanji symbols were displayed in a vertical stripe along the right side, marking the map as a layout of the city of Kyoto. Ever since returning home from their search, the street fighter had thrown himself into researching the places he planned on taking Yukina during their date, hoping it would take his mind off what had happened earlier. But without much success. I can't believe that little twerp tried to keep me from Yukina. Kuwabara growled inwardly, his features darkening at the memory of Hiei ordering him to go with Yusuke's group. The mere idea of the fire demon being alone with the ice maiden made the human fighter's blood boil with suspicion and jealously. Kuwabara had protested as loudly as he could, his words falling on deaf ears until Yukina had convinced Hiei to let him come along.

But why did she have to go and hug him? What the hell does she see in such a cranky demon? Not for the first time had Kuwabara wondered about what really was going on between Hiei and the ice maiden. It was almost as if they were really close, like ... No. Kuwabara scoffed with a shake of his head. They're not going out together or anything. They couldn't be. I would have known. But then what was it that seemed to draw Hiei and Yukina together?

Kuwabara let out a sigh, his shoulders slumping in exhaustion. He didn't want to think about it anymore. All he wanted to do was make sure he knew the exact location of every site he would be taking Yukina. But even though he looked forward to their date, in the back of his mind, a lingering guilt reside. A guilt not easy to forget.

Failure.

He had failed to find Kurama or Botan. True the others were just as unlucky in their search as he was, but Kuwabara prided himself on taking responsibility for others. He had made a promise to find them. His honor code dictated he do whatever it took to fulfill such an oath. Never before had he failed to live up to his code. Until tonight. I should be out there looking for them now, not sitting here doing something so frivolous as looking at the once place I know Kurama and Botan aren't. But he had also made another promise. A promise to take the woman he loved out for the time of her life.

Kuwabara loved Yukina with every fiber of his being. Every time he looked at her, his heart jumped, his soul intoxicated by her presence. Every look, every touch, every word that came from Yukina lit up his world, making him feel like the luckiest man in the world. She was so dear to him that there was nothing he wouldn't do for her. Ah my sweet Yukina. Kuwabara sighed inwardly, a wistful look forming on his face as he stared into space, his mind conjuring up images of him walking hand in hand with his lady fair through a park. A big grin spread across his lips as Yukina confessed her feelings for him underneath a sycamore tree. His grin grew wider as he told her how he felt, the two preparing to kiss. Lost in his daydream of sharing a special moment with Yukina, Kuwabara didn't hear or sense the presence of Shizuru who had entered his room.

"Fantasizing again, Kazuma?"

"Aahh!" The ningen fighter cried, jumping then falling out of his seat, startled by the sudden intrusion of his sister's voice. "Are you trying to give me a heart attack, sis?!" He snapped as he bolted onto his feet before plopping his large frame back into the chair in front of his desk. "You could have knocked first!"

Shizuru smiled, amused at how irritated he was. No matter how many times she had snuck up on her brother, it never grew old. "And you should pay better attention." She replied light heartedly as she walked farther into his room. Stopping a few feet to his left, she turned her gaze downward, a look of interest forming upon her face as she studied the map. "Kyoto, huh? Is this some kind of school project of yours?"

"No." Kuwabara replied peevishly, still aggravated at his older sibling's intrusion. "I'm studying some sites I want to take Yukina to when we go out on our date."

"A date?" Shizuru replied, quirking an eyebrow at this new revelation. "I really don't think you should be thinking about such things after what's happened to Botan and Kurama." She added. Upon returning home, Shizuru had confronted Kuwabara about missing school. The street fighter had then told her about the abduction of the ferry girl and the missing kitsune. Truthfully it worried her. Shizuru had been sensing a strange shift in energy throughout the city for a few days now. It was as if nature itself were preparing for something big, something that boded ill for the human world. And the abduction of Botan adds to my worries.

Kuwabara frowned at her statement. "I know I'm not the smartest man in the world," He began as he returned his attention to the map spread out before him. "But I am a man of my word. I promised Yukina I would take her to the aviary opening in Kyoto and I will."

Shizuru stared at her brother, a serious expression taking hold of her pretty features that complimented the sober tone of her voice as she spoke. "Did you forget what happened the last time you tore off without the support of the others?"

"I remember what happened." Kuwabara replied darkly, knowing she was referring to the time he had went off to see the Megallica concert rather than take part in the search of Sensui and his minions. His buddies had nearly died when he was attacked by Mitarai but he had learned a new skill and saved his comrades. He survived before, why not now. "But that was three years ago, sis. I'm a lot stronger now than I was back then. And besides," He paused, looking back over to Shizuru, a smile forming on lips. "My sweet Yukina will be with me. I will not let any harm come to her."

"How can you be sure of that Kazuma?" Shizuru countered. "Kyoto is over 300 miles away. If anything happens to you, no one will be able to reach you in time. You'll be a perfect target for them. Think about it." She added with a tap to her forehead.

"That's just a risk I'm going to have to take." Kuwabara replied. "I already promised Yukina.. I can't go back on my word now."

Shizuru lowered her hand back to her side, a questioning look upon her face. "Can't you reschedule?"

"No way." The orange haired teen said with a shake of his head. "Did you know Yukina hasn't been anywhere outside of Tokyo since our tournament on Hanging Neck island over three years ago? She deserves some happiness in her life and I'm going to give it to her. I'll treat her like the goddess that she is. I swear I will!" He added, his voice full of a conviction that made Shizuru want to bang her head against the wall.

I never could talk him out of anything. He's just too damn stubborn. Looking down, Shizuru brought her attention to the pack of cigarettes clutched in her right hand. Shifting it over to her left, she flipped open the box and pulled out a cigarette, bringing up then sliding it between her lips. She dug around in the right pocket of her blue jeans, her fingers clasping around a lighter which she quickly withdrew. Shizuru brought the lighter up, about to use it when a sudden sense of ki slammed into her. "What the hell?!" She cried, the unlit cigarette falling from her mouth and onto the floor below. The energy was strong, different from the boys, but not unlike that of Botan's and Koenma's. Someone from Reikai, perhaps? She wondered.

Shizuru was not alone in sensing the surge of spiritual energy.

Kuwabara had felt it as well. He rose up out of his seat, a gasp emitted from his throat as he suddenly felt another ki, one more familar to him. But why was it so weak? "Kurama?" He murmured, a look of great concern blooming on his face. Without hesitation, Kuwabara charged out of his room, flying down the hallway and directly to the door of the apartment. He grabbed the knob, yanking the door forcefully open. Concern turned to shock as his dark gaze fell upon a wearied Yoh who in turn held an unconsciousness Kurama.

"Can ... we ... come .. in ... Mr. ... Kuwabara?" Yoh asked between labored breaths. Despite the large amount of ki Yoh possessed, he had chosen to rely on his physical strength alone to carry Kurama to Kuwabara's apartment. But the going had been rather difficult. Especially after the taxi driver booted him out some three blocks short of his destination when Yoh told the driver he didn't have enough money to cover the ride. I knew I should have brought my other wallet. He grumbled as he made his way slowly to the apartment complex, all the while blocking both his and Kurama's ki's. And lugging around the unconscious kitsune became quite exhausting for his human form. But he had to hide their energy. If Ren or one of his followers were to know just how weak the fox spirit was, they wouldn't hesitate to kill him. And I can't allow that to happen. Only when he was certain they were safe, would he at last reveal himself. And so he did, releasing his energy, letting his presence known to Kuwabara.

"Who is it Kazu ...." Shizuru began only to stop at who she saw standing in the hallway. Her brown eyes shifted between the slumped form of the kitsune to the obviously tired blond man that held him. This was the one whose power I sensed earlier? She thought, surprised at the gentle appearance of what appeared to be a young man. But he's not human. That's for sure.

"Hey sis, could you stop staring and move so they can come in?" Kuwabara barked in irritation.

Drawn back to the situation at hand, Shizuru shook her head, clearing it, her surprise fading, replaced by concern as she moved to the side, allowing Yoh to come in, Kurama in tow.

Kuwabara watched them enter, closing the door the moment they were inside. Without asking, the large man walked over to Yoh and reached out, lifting the unmoving form of the kitsune out of Yoh's arms and into his own. Kuwabara carried Kurama down the hall and into his room, followed closely by Shizuru and the tired Yoh.

As gently as he could, Kuwabara placed Kurama onto the bed then released his hold, straightening his frame as he turned around to face Yoh. "What happened to him, Yoh?" He asked.

Yoh looked over at the kitsune, a worried expression evident upon his face as he quickly explained what he knew.

When he was finished, Kuwabara looked back over to Kurama, a grim look taking hold of his features as he studied the red head before returning his attention in front of him. He marched forward, heading out of his room only to stop in the door way as Shizuru called out to him.

"Where are you going?"

Kuwabara tossed a determined look over his shoulder. "To call Urameshi and the others." He replied before returning his gaze forward and walking out into the hallway then the living room where the phone awaited him.

&&&&&

Yusuke sat quietly on the couch in the living room of his mother's apartment, his left arm wrapped around the back of Keiko who snuggled against him. They talked in hushed tones, both full of concern over the fate of their friends. The search for Botan had been unsuccessful, much to Yusuke's dismay. He didn't like the thought of the ferry girl suffering at the hands of Ren. He's such a cowardly bastard. Making other people do the work for him. The way in which their enemy had stolen Botan from Kurama churned the detective's stomach. If they could get to Botan so easily, what was to stop them from taking Keiko? Hiei's stunt earlier in the day had proven to him just how vulnerable their loved ones were.

A dark emotion began to spread through Yusuke, the thought of anyone touching his chosen mate causing his youkai blood to boil. The detective clenched his jaw, forcing his rage back into the recesses of his mind. What good did it do to become upset. Especially when I can't find the bastard. He growled inwardly.

"Yusuke?" Keiko's voice reached his ears, drawing his attention to the woman he held against him.

"What is it, Keiko?" He whispered, hoping she hadn't seen the dark look that would most certainly still be upon his face.

"Do you think Botan and Kurama are all right?"

Yusuke held Keiko tighter to him, wanting to give her some comfort in such uncertain times. "I don't know Keiko, but I promise we'll find them." He replied, tilting his head to the side until it rested against his girlfriend's. "I promise we will." He repeated, his voice a mere whisper as he closed his eyes and drew in her presence.

Just then a knock echoed within the confines of the apartment, drawing both Yusuke and Keiko's attention to the door some distance away.

"I'll get it." The voice of Atsuko called out from the kitchen.

Yusuke peered over his shoulder, watching his mother as she headed towards the door and opened it. Nothing threatening met his senses. So why do I feel like I'm should be on my guard? He wondered as he waited for whoever it was to reveal themselves.

"May I help you?" An unusually sober Atsuko asked, shifting her gaze upward slightly, her curious brown eyes meeting the friendly dark blue ones of a tall, well dressed man with blond hair.

"Good evening Mrs. Urameshi," the man began as he stood still before Atsuko. "My name is Kigorei Shinato, a teacher at Yusuke's school and I ..."

"Is my son in trouble or something?" Atsuko interjected, cutting him off.

"No ma'am," Kigorei replied. "Yusuke didn't come to school today and I was a little worried so I came over to check up on him."

Atsuko's eyes narrowed. "You're not a truant officer are you?"

Kigorei let out a small chuckle. "No." He answered truthfully, his handsome features sincere as he asked, "May I come in?"

Atsuko seemed to consider his question before relenting. Nodding her head she moved to the side to let him in.

Kigorei removed his black dress coat, revealing equally black dress slacks and a white, long sleeve oxford shirt with a solid red silk tie.

Yusuke, who had been waiting for the person to reveal himself, stared at surprise as Mr. Shinato came into view. What is he doing here? He wondered. Reluctantly, the detective relaxed his hold around Keiko who looked up at him.

"Who is it Yusuke?" She asked.

"Mr. Shinato." Yusuke answered.

Keiko gave him a questioning look but the detective merely shrugged, just as curious as she was. Yusuke waited until Keiko had sat completely upright before rising to his feet and heading over to the entryway, Keiko a few steps behind him.

"Hey Mr. Shinato." Yusuke greeted as he stopped a few feet away.

Kigorei turned, his friendly gaze falling upon the detective as he greeted him back. "Good evening Yusuke," He paused, his eyes shifting to meet those of Keiko. "and good evening to you too, Miss Keiko. It's nice to see you again."

"Hello Mr. Shinato." Keiko replied with a small nod.

Yusuke studied Kigorei, his features calm though inside he felt a little nervous. Never before had a teacher come to his home. Not even when he had been a delinquent attendee. So why now? He wondered. Why not just call? Curiosity overcame nervousness as the detective gave voice to his questions. "So what's up, teach? I'm not in any trouble am I?"

"No Yusuke," Kigorei answered, his gaze shifting over to the younger man. "I was merely checking to make sure everything was okay since you didn't come to school today."

Yusuke shifted his feet, a sheepish tone in his voice as he replied, "Yeah .. about that," He began, rapidly prodding his mind in search of a viable excuse. "I ... wasn't feeling well so I kind of stayed home today."

Atsuko threw a questioning look at Yusuke but said nothing. Instead she merely waited to see what Kigorei would say in response to her son's crappy and consequently untrue excuse.

Kigorei raised an eyebrow, a look of incredulity on his features though his tone was slightly teasing as he spoke. "You wouldn't be lying to me would you?"

"Huh?" Yusuke retorted in mock indigence. "You don't believe me?"

"Would you?"

Yusuke smirked, a small chuckle escaping his lips. "I guess not." He replied sheepishly, his gaze shifting over to Keiko who shook her head before reaching out to entwine her right hand with Yusuke's left one. The detective gave her a tender look that didn't go unnoticed by Kigorei.

The older man watched Yusuke's reaction to Keiko, a wistful look gracing his face as his mind was suddenly bombarded with memories. Memories of his own past. And the times he had shared with Azami not that long ago. They truly love each other. He thought, his features falling as the reality of what would soon happen came home to him. And we're going to end up destroying it. Kigorei thought in dismay. It hurt him to think of what he had to do. But it must be done. I have no choice in the matter. Not if I want to see Azami and Hiroshi again. Gathering himself, Kigorei spoke. "Are you in some kind of trouble, Yusuke?" He began, his tone serious as he looked directly at the detective. "Did something happen that you had to miss out on school today?"

Yusuke and Keiko exchanged questioning glances before returning their attention to Kigorei.

"Is it really all that important for you to know, Mr. Shinato?" Yusuke asked casually enough, though inside he was worried. Just why does he need to know?

Kigorei gave him a placating smile. "It's not important, Yusuke. I merely wanted to make sure you were okay."

"Why?" Yusuke persisted, growing more and more curious as the conversation went on.

"I guess it's because you remind me a lot of Hiroshi."

"Hiroshi?" Keiko murmured, a confused look suddenly blooming upon her face, much like the one Yusuke now had. "Who is that?"

Kigorei flinched, a gasp escaping from his throat at the sound of his son's name. Great. Just great. He grumbled inwardly as he realized his mistake. His features tightened, a rising nervousness filling him as he noticed the questioning looks everyone was throwing at him. He wanted nothing more than to run away but escape was impossible now. It would cast suspicion on him and ruin Ren's plan. And Ren will kill me if I don't find out something about Yusuke's activities. He warned inwardly. Effectively trapped, Kigorei resigned himself to answering Keiko's question. "Hiroshi was my son." He admitted softly, lowering his head to hide the look of pain that was surely upon his face. "He died a little over three years ago. Along with my wife, Azami."

Yusuke and Keiko studied Kigorei with saddened eyes.

"I'm sorry," Keiko said, her tone sympathetic as she lowered her head. "That must have been awful for you."

Yusuke, however, maintained eye contact with Kigorei. "So how did they die?"

"Yusuke!" Keiko cried in disbelief, jerking her head up to toss a heated glare at her boyfriend before loosening her hand and smacking him on the side of the arm.

"What did you go and do that for?!" Yusuke growled in annoyance, throwing a heated glare of his own as he reached up and rubbed his arm in an attempt to work out the painful sting.

"Don't you have any tact at all?!" Keiko retorted. "Why would you ask Mr. Shinato something like that? He probably doesn't want to talk about it!"

"Well you don't have to hit me, you know!"

The two continued bickering back and forth for several seconds, much to Kigorei's surprise and disbelief. Hmm ... maybe they are a little different from Azami and I. He conceded before letting out a polite cough.

Yusuke and Keiko stopped their arguing, their attention now drawn back upon Kigorei. Embarrassed by their behavior, the two lovers lowered their eyes, unable to meet the computer teacher's gaze.

"We're sorry." Keiko replied, her tone regrettable as she added. "If you don't want to talk about it, we understand."

Kigorei took a few seconds before replying. "It's all right. I don't mind telling you." He said, his gentle tone betraying none of the pain he felt inside as he relived the memory. "Azami suffered from a rare disorder that caused her muscles to deteriorate to the point she couldn't move." He began. "Even breathing became difficult for my wife but she fought hard. Azami remained strong of spirit even to the very end when her heart failed her. And I ... " Kigorei paused, his throat constricting at the images that now gripped his mind. A stabbing pain, cold and merciless, filled his heart, reflecting upon his features as he lifted his head to look at Yusuke and the two women before him. "I could only watch as Azami died, wrapped within my arms. And my son, Hiroshi, he ..."

A loud, insistent ring tore through the air, startling everyone.

Kigorei stopped, his gaze shifting beyond the group to the black cordless phone that sat on the kitchen counter.

Yusuke frowned at the intrusion. Who the hell is calling me now? "I'll get it." He murmured, turning to march into the kitchen. Yusuke quickly grabbed the phone, pressing the talk button before bringing it up to his ear. "Urameshi residence." He grumbled, half expecting some stupid telemarker to start their sale spiel only to widen his eyes in surprise as the voice of his best friend met his ear.

"Urameshi!" Kuwabara's anxiety ridden voice filtered loudly through the receiver, causing Yusuke to wince as he listened. "You got to come over here quick!"

"What's the rush?" Yusuke asked, his gaze shifting back over towards the door where Keiko, Atsuko and Kigorei stood eyeing him expectantly.

"Yoh found Kurama and brought him to my apartment. He looks like he's in pretty bad shape!"

A dark look took hold of the detective's features. "We'll be right there." He replied. Shutting off the phone, Yusuke put the receiver back on the charger and walked back to the small group by the door.

"We have to go." He told Keiko as he passed by her, heading towards the coat rack.

"Where are we going, Yusuke?" Keiko asked as she watched her boyfriend slip on his shoes then his coat.

"They found one of our friends." He replied, turning around to hand Keiko the coat she had worn earlier in the day.

A knowing look spread across the brown haired girl's features. Taking the coat from Yusuke's outstretched hands, Keiko quickly threw it on then walked over to slide on her shoes.

"Yusuke, where are you going?" Atsuko asked, studying her son with questioning eyes.

"Not far, mom." Yusuke answered. Walking over to the door, he quickly opened it and allowed Keiko to go out first. "I'll make sure to call you when we get there." He paused, turning to Kigorei. "I'm sorry Mr. Shinato. But we have to go."

"I understand, Yusuke." Kigorei replied with an understanding smile. "I'll speak to you some other time."

Yusuke nodded before stepping out into the hall then closing the door behind him.

"I don't know what's got into that boy lately." Atsuko murmured with a shake of her head. "You'd think one of his friends were dying or something with the way he's been acting."

Kigorei's gaze remained on the door. Maybe one of them is. He commented inwardly as he turned back to Atsuko and bid her good-bye. Slipping on his coat, Kigorei headed out into the hall and onto the elevator, a troubled look now upon his wearied features. From what Yusuke had said, the caller had found one of his friends. But was it Botan that had been found or were one of the others in trouble as well? Was that why they were in Tokyo today? Were they looking for someone beside Botan? Or was it a combination of both? Regardless of who this friend was, Kigorei now had his answer. Ren was right, Yusuke does know something.

As much as this new information intrigued him, Kigorei was in no real hurry to confirm his leader's suspicions. He'll just move all the quicker against them and I want to forestall that as long as possible. Despite his desire to see his family again, the blond man couldn't bring himself to think about what was going to happen once their plan went into action. Why does it have to be like this? Why do we have to kill everyone? He wondered, his troubled eyes focused straight ahead as he exited the elevator and walked slowly to his car parked about forty feet away. He stopped by the driver side door, his motions automatic as he opened the door then slid inside. Kigorei rested his hands on the steering wheel and shook his head, trying to clear his mind of the warring thoughts that lingered upon his consciousness. I must stop thinking about Yusuke and the girl. It'll get me killed and I can't have that happen just yet. Resigned to his place in Ren's plans, Kigorei stuck his key in the ignition, starting the car then speeding off, heading for the place he called home.

&&&&&

Silent was the atmosphere within Kuwabara's room, the current occupants too concerned to voice their troubles to each other. Yusuke and Keiko arrived as quickly as they could, both surprised to find they were not the only ones informed of Kurama's condition. Yukina, Genkai, Shizuru and even Ayame sat quietly upon the couch and chairs that littered the living room, their features somber as they informed Yusuke that the others were waiting for him. He gave a nod, giving Keiko a reassuring squeeze of their entwined hands before releasing his hold.

Yusuke headed quickly down the hall, stopping in the entry way as his gaze fell upon Kuwabara, Koenma, Yoh and Hiei who stood at various spots around the room. They turned slowly to face him, the concern upon their countenances mirroring his own. He gave them a nod of acknowledgment before moving inside. His eyes shifted to focus upon Kurama who lay still upon the bed. Yusuke made his way over to his friend's side, a frown marring his features at the shallow breaths that the kitsune took. And his skin was deathly pale. His energy is so weak. It's as if he's ....

"As if he's dying." Hiei finished for him.

Yusuke turned to the right, his gaze falling upon the fire demon who met his questioning look with a troubled one of his own. "But how can that be?" He asked. "How can someone as strong as Kurama be dying?"

"Yeah," Kuwabara added to the conversation. "I mean Kurama doesn't even have any injuries?"

"None that you can see." Hiei replied, shifting his gaze back upon the window to avoid looking at Kuwabara.

"Do you mean like internal bleeding or something?" Yusuke asked.

Hiei drew in a breath and let it out slowly. "I mean that the injury suffered by Kurama is of a spiritual nature and is in turn affecting his human body." He explained. "He hasn't eaten in two days. Same with liquid nourishment. The stress he's put upon his body coupled with fatigue and exposure to the elements has degraded his health and well being. And the weakening bond between Kurama and Botan is the catalyst for the lack of energy within the kitsune's very soul."

"And all this is killing him?" Yusuke commented, his features growing serious at the fire demon's nod.

"But how can the bond be killing him?" Kuwabara asked, still confused about the situation.

"I know how." Koenma answered drawing everyone's attention over to him. "When a soul bond is formed, both parties can sense the emotional, spiritual and physical conditions of the other. If one is in pain, so to is the other. Same with joy, hope, sadness, lust, love. You name it, they feel it." He paused, his features growing troubled as he continued a few seconds later. "But if an outside influence tries to block or even destroy the bond, both of them end up dying."

"Which means that Ren has done something to Botan and it's messing up the connection she has with Kurama." Yusuke said, beginning to understand what was happening. "But how could he do something like that? How is it possible to interfere with a soul bond?"

Koenma's features grew contemplative. "My guess is that Ren has managed to somehow alter Botan's memories, making her forget her life with Kurama. If Botan cannot remember, she cannot feel. There's no connection. Thus the bond is severed. And they both weaken to the point of death."

"So if Kurama dies, Botan dies as well?" Yusuke asked.

"Not necessarily, Yusuke .. " Koenma began to answer only to be cut off by Kuwabara.

"Wait a minute, Koenma." The street fighter began with an irritated grumble. "You said a minute ago that if the bond is severed they both die. But now you say that's not really true."

"Yes." Koenma answered with a nod. "So?"

"So how can they die yet live? I'm getting confused here."

"Well that's hardly surprising considering the fact that you're a moron." Hiei quipped, a smirk twisting upon his lips at the instantly negative reaction of his sister's boyfriend.

Kuwabara's eyes grew dangerous, his features dark as he threw a heated glare in the fire demon's direction. "Clamp it shorty! I wasn't asking you!"

Sensing a need to take control of the room, Koenma began to speak in an authoritative tone. "Kuwabara calm down! Getting upset solves nothing."

Kuwabara kept his angered eyes upon Hiei but grew silent, allowing his boss to continue.

"Well, anyway, as I was about to say before being interrupted," He paused, tossing a look over at the only full human in the room before continuing on. "I can't say for certain but I believe I've read somewhere that when two people share a soul bond, one can survive if the other dies but only if the bond is left unharmed. If it is interfered with unnaturally, that is by an outside force, then it is possible for both to die."

Kuwabara's features twisted into a look of great confusion. "Man, I think I'm even more confused now than I was before you explained what was going on."

Hiei was about to let forth another insult but decided to hold his tongue. Especially since Yukina was just outside in the living room. If I egg the moron on any further, he'll raise a stink and Yukina might think something's wrong. And I don't want to upset her more than she already is.

"So what do we do now?" Yusuke asked. "How do we make sure Kurama remains alive while we look for Botan?"

"He'll need a dose of life energy from one of us." Hiei explained. "And he'll need one of us to watch after him. To make sure he doesn't try to escape so he can go off and look for his mate on his own."

"I'll take first watch." Yoh offered, stepping forward and away from the far wall of the room. "After all, I owe my life to Kurama."

"And the rest of us?" Yusuke asked, watching as the blond reigen made his way over to the bed ridden kitsune.

"We will continue the search for the ferry girl." Hiei answered, his gaze shifting beyond the detective to his best friend who still lay unmoving. "And pray we can find her in time." He added. Because if we don't, both Kurama and Botan will die.

&&&&&

Daylight filtered through the large windows within Kuwabara's room, signaling the coming of dawn. Kurama lay motionless upon the bed for some time only to be driven out of the darkness of sleep as the bright rays of sunshine shifted, covering him in an unrelenting and brilliant white light. Consciousness returned slowly as Kurama fought against the demand of rest his body cried out for. Something was strange. Something out of place. His senses told him he was inside, the scent that surrounded him clueing him in on just where exactly he was. I'm in Kuwabara's room. But how? How did he get from the center of Tokyo to the eastern side where his fellow detective lived? Memories returned, giving answer to Kurama's questions.

Last night, before losing consciousness, Kurama had heard someone call out to him using his human name, the owner of the voice familar enough for the kitsune to recognize it as belonging to Yoh. The young reigen had somehow managed to find and save Kurama before he had passed out onto the sidewalk. For that he was grateful. But it wouldn't do to linger any longer. The kitsune had someone to find and save of his own.

Botan.

The mere thought of her alone and in the hands of Ren caused the pain to well up inside his chest. It was heavy, this pain, and all consuming. Kurama couldn't escape from it nor did he want to. The guilt and shame of his lapse in thinking had cost the woman he loved to be taken from him. And she suffers because of my failure. He added, the ache in his heart worsening as the seconds past by. He had to go. He had to wake up before the others could stop him.

Kurama opened his eyes and rose to an upright position. He winced, fighting off the disorientation that still laid claim to his body and mind as he slid his legs over the side of the bed. He stood upon wobbly legs, his breath coming out in strained bursts as he attempted to move forward only to fall back onto the bed when a strong wave of dizziness swept over him. He hung his head, closing his eyes, praying silently for the throbbing that pounded within his temples to stop.

"Trying to escape, Kurama?"

Heedless of the pain, the fox spirit snapped his head to the side, surprised eyes focusing on the small form of Hiei who stood in the far corner of the room. Where did he come from?

"I've been standing here for quite some time, fox." Hiei answered, a smirk forming on his lips as he sensed the kitsune raise his mental barrier, not allowing the fire demon to read anymore of his thoughts. "Someone has to make sure you don't go sneaking off again."

Kurama stiffened at his friend's words. "I wasn't sneaking off, Hiei." He answered in mild annoyance. "But I must do this alone." He added as he rose to his feet once again.

"I'm afraid I can't let you do that." Hiei replied as he turned to study Kurama, his red orbs reflecting the seriousness of his words.

"And I suppose you plan on stopping me?" The red head retorted with a growl, a dark look crossing his face from the veiled threat that met his ears.

Hiei's gaze never wavered, his look just as determined as his best friend. "Someone has to help you, Kurama. You can't find Botan on your own. Not in your condition."

Kurama flinched, startled by Hiei's use of the deity's name. He broke of eye contact, his features contorted in pain as he lowered himself back down onto the edge of the bed. "I ... failed her, Hiei. It was my misjudgment, my arrogance that led to Botan being kidnapped. I have to make up for my mistakes."

"By killing yourself?" Hiei replied in a mild tone of incredulity. "I thought you were smarter than that, fox."

"My life doesn't matter now. All that matters is finding Botan."

Hiei shook his head. "Listen to yourself, Kurama." He said in a forceful tone that drew the kitsune's attention back to him. "You say that your life doesn't matter. But what about Botan? What do you think she would say if she heard you say that?"

"What are you trying to say, Hiei?"

"I'm saying Botan would want you to live. So live for her, kitsune. Don't let her suffer anymore than she already is."

Kurama brought his gaze back upon his best friend, his features questioning. "And how is it you know that she is suffering, Hiei? What do you know of it?" He demanded, gold flecks bursting within emerald as his angered eyes bore into the curious red ones of Hiei.

The fire demon studied his friend, noting with some surprise the sudden upward spike of demon energy within Kurama. Hiei began to explain, filling the kitsune in on all that he knew about the soul bond and how Ren was most likely interfering.

Kurama listened with tested patience, his emotions reeling between anger and dismay as he learned of the possible reason for his weakening body, soul and heart. If what Hiei said was true, Botan was suffering every bit as much as the kitsune. And it was all Ren's fault. The bastard is killing her! He's actually killing her! Gold completely filled the once emerald pools of Kurama's eyes, his features twisted darkly as he straightened his frame. Demon energy flowed and swirled around the fox spirit, complementing the rage that now fueled him. Though the human form of Kurama remained intact, the voice coming from his lips was that of Youko who snarled, "I'll kill him."

Hiei stared at his friend with shocked eyes. Rarely had he seen Kurama angry and such emotion had for the most part been brief, gone as soon as it had come. But this. This was something else entirely. The pure rage was palpable, so much so that Hiei had to fight off the sudden urge to back away to a safer part of the room. But there was something else. Something hidden within that rise of strength that caused the fire demon's features to darken in worry. His life force is fading, even as his spiritual energy rises. But how was such a thing possible? How could Kurama be strong yet weak at the same time. An answer came to Hiei. One he already knew. Not only was the bond to blame, but something else was wreaking havoc within the kitsune's body, disrupting the usually calm and reserved nature of his best friend. His emotions have completely overtaken his reasoning. If he keeps this up, he'll die before Botan is found. "Ren will die," Hiei said in an agreeable voice. "But not by your hand."

Kurama snapped his head towards the smaller man, his tone dark and deadly as he growled, "explain yourself."

Hiei met the hardened gaze of his friend, not flinching or backing down as he replied, "Do you honestly think you'll survive long enough to find Ren, Kurama?" He began, his tone unapologetic as he continued. "As you are now, you would be no match for him."

"What are you talking about? I'm more than capable of breaking his neck." Kurama retorted as he formed his hands into fists, the sound of cracking joints emphasizing his point.

"But he has already broken your reasoning." Hiei countered. "You've become exactly what he's wanted. A broken man, driven by grief and rage, without thought for his own well being or safety. That's what you are now, Kurama."

Kurama frowned, the truth of his friend's words bringing to light the reality of his situation. Hiei's right. He thought. I have become a slave to my emotions. Never before had the fox spirit succumbed so completely to anything outside of his rational. He always remained reserved, slightly aloof even, of others. He had always cared about his friends but the pain of their problems and suffering had never been as grievous as the loss of his mate. His Botan. That's what Ren's wanted all along. To make me lose my reasoning and act on emotion. And like a fool, I allowed it to happen. At this, Kurama's strength left him, the once powerful ki that had flared within his enraged soul vanishing, leaving him feeling drained. The kitsune fell back down upon the edge of the bed and hung his head in guilt and realization. "He took Botan from me, Hiei." He began, his voice soft as he explained himself. "My life mate was stolen from me. How was I supposed to react?" Kurama paused as he lifted his head to look over at his friend. "How would you react if he had taken Mukuro from you?"

Hiei's features remained dark, though his voice was surprisingly soft as he answered. "I would hunt the bastard down and kill him with my own bare hands." He said, a smirk tugging at his lips as he added, "That is if Mukuro didn't obliterate his sorry ass first."

Kurama smiled, briefly amused by his friends reply only to have his smile fall a few seconds later as a new thought entered his mind. "Hiei," he began. "May I ask you something."

"What is it?" Hiei asked, shifting his red orbs to the window on his right.

"Where are the others?"

The fire demon kept his gaze upon the city outside, the light of the sun wrapping him in a warm embrace as he answered. "They were here earlier." He said in a distant tone. "I came to relieve Yoh from his night watch over you."

"You had him watch me?" Kurama murmured in incredulity. "Why?"

"Because you were dying, Kurama." Hiei replied. "And besides, Yoh wanted to give you some of his energy so that you would make it through another day."

Of course. Kurama thought. That explains why my body doesn't feel as weak as it did before. "And where are they now?"

"They've gone off in search of Botan." Hiei answered before turning to face his friend. "Why do you ask?"

Kurama rose to his feet, a calmness now taking effect of his soul and mind as he spoke. "Because I want to join them."

Hiei smirked, inwardly thankful for the return of his best friend's normal personality. Reaching into the right pocket of his pants, the fire demon pulled out a blue communicator and flipped it open. "I'll contact Yusuke and let him know we'll be meeting up with them shortly."

Kurama nodded, waiting patiently for Hiei to finish his communiqué before the two men left the apartment and headed off, unaware someone was watching them.

&&&&&

Naoko watched with curious eyes as the two demons exited the apartment building he had been surveying for most of the night and early morning. He had followed Kurama's movements from the time he had fled Sakaoshimi. He had witnessed the emotional turmoil the kitsune had been suffering and it made him rather curious. Naoko knew of Botan's abduction but couldn't understand how someone so lethal and merciless as the fox spirit could be broken so easily by the mere kidnapping of his girlfriend.

It makes no sense. He declared to himself. Inwardly he was glad for the weakening of Kurama's ki, since it would make it all the easier once Kagone ordered his capture. But still, the brown haired servant couldn't help but question the reason behind it. A scowl of frustration flashed across his features. There has to be something else, but what? He wondered, only to whip his head to the side as Kurama and Hiei suddenly disappeared from view. Dammit, they're getting away!

Naoko reached up to his forehead, his hands frantically clasping around a strange pair of goggles strapped to his head. Quickly, he pulled them down and around his eyes. Instantly, the view of the city floor changed, the people that walked along the sidewalks disappearing, leaving only the racing forms of Kurama and Hiei to see. A wolfish smile bloomed upon the servant's lips. I knew these demon tracer goggles would come in handy. Shifting to his spirit form, Naoko willed his body to levitate before flying into the air. His eyes remained fixed upon the ground, like a bird of prey stalking out it's next meal. Now to see just what you demons are up to. He thought, the thrill of the hunt pulsing through his heart as he sped forward, intent on learning the secrets of Kagone's next target.

&&&&&

"So how are you feeling, Kurama?" Yusuke asked the kitsune as he walked to the taller man's left. It had been nearly an hour since Kurama and Hiei had joined up with Yusuke's group consisting of Kuwabara, Yukina, Keiko and himself. And although the red head appeared to be fine, Yusuke wanted to be sure. "Not too tired I hope?"

Kurama shook his head, giving the detective a small smile as he replied. "I'm fine, Yusuke. Don't worry about me."

"You sure about that, Kurama?" Kuwabara asked, slowing down from his lead spot to speak with the red head. "'Cause you still seem kind of weak to me."

"Really, I'm fine Kuwabara." Kurama answered with a patient tone, increasing the pace of his steps to indicate the truth of his words. "So let's go find Botan shall we?"

"Hmm." Kuwabara sounded, unconvinced by the front the kitsune was presenting to everyone else. I can't believe no one else senses his fading life energy. Gifted with spiritual awareness, the street fighter could see the fading aura of his friend, the light flickering like a candle burning low. He really is dying. Kuwabara's features tightened. Botan's kidnapping is actually killing him. Is that what really happened when a soul mate bond was severed? How would I feel if Yukina was taken? He would be enraged. And grief stricken. I'd probably be dying too.

"Then why don't you get to it and spare me the trouble of listening to your asinine mental conversation."

Kuwabara snapped his head to the right, his features hardening and his muscles tensing as his angered dark orbs fixed themselves upon the smirking face of Hiei. "Shut up, shrimp! I didn't ask you to invade my private thoughts!"

"Is that what you call them?" Hiei retorted with an air of superiority. "Seems to me they were little more than the idiotic ramblings of a slow witted human."

"Are you calling me stupid again?!" Kuwabara snapped.

"You catch on quick." Hiei replied sarcastically.

"Why you .." Kuwabara growled. The larger man made a move to the side, attempting to grab hold of the fire demon only to stop as Yukina spoke from behind him.

"Kazuma please!" The ice maiden's voice broke through the haze of anger that swirled within Kuwabara's heart and mind. "Please don't fight with Hiei!"

The human fighter turned to his love, his features and tone regretful, though inwardly he was irked that she had intervened once again on the fire demon's behalf. "I'm sorry Yukina. I didn't mean to upset you. It won't happen again." He vowed before dropping to a knee and gently reaching out to take hold of Yukina's hand. "Can you forgive me?"

Yukina looked into Kuwabara's eyes, a blush forming upon her cheeks at the tender way he was revering her. "Yes.. Of course Kazuma." She whispered in equal tenderness, a small giggle escaping her lips as the street fighter's cheeks turned a dark shade of crimson.

Hiei watched the display with great irritation, a small twitch affecting his right eye as Kuwabara talked to Yukina about their date tomorrow. Of course he had overheard the conversation between the street fighter and the ice maiden the other day at Genkai's and he wasn't happy about it. Not at all. In fact, it had taken him a lot of running through the Makai forests to settle his angered mind. The fire demon had spent enough time studying ningens and their habits and behaviors to know exactly what happened during a date. What if Kuwabara wanted to hold her hand? What if he wanted to kiss her? What if ... Hiei's face blanched, the images that flashed suddenly in his mind causing his brotherly side to howl in rage. I swear I'll kill him if he so much as touches her there!

"Feeling constipated, Hiei?" Yusuke's voice called out teasingly from somewhere to the fire demon's right. "'Cause you sure look like it."

Hiei turned his gaze over to the smirking detective, a spasm of irritation crossing his face at the taller man's insinuation. "Don't piss me off, detective. I'm not in the mood for it." He growled, marching briskly past Yusuke and away from his sister and Kuwabara.

Yusuke shook his head as he watched the small demon catch up to Kurama before returning his attention back on his best friend and Yukina. He parted his lips, about to speak but thought better of it when he saw how close they were acting around each other. Nah. Let them have a little privacy. Turning back around, the detective walked away, quickly falling in pace with the two youkai.

"So uh .. Kurama," He began, shifting his curious brown orbs over to his friend. "Where are we going to look for Botan now?"

The fox spirit took a few seconds before answering. "The center wards of Tokyo have been covered. And you mentioned that Koenma's group was currently searching the eastern and possibly the southern wards, correct?"

Yusuke nodded. They had split into two groups, with Koenma taking Yoh, Genkai and Ayame to search the eastern section of the city while Yusuke's team began in the west.

"Then we'll continue to search the western side and if time permits the north as well." He replied, the authoritative tone of voice betraying none of the frailty that lingered underneath his calm facade. Although the kitsune was putting up a brave front, the truth was he still suffered from the severing of his bond with Botan. Hiei had shown him the true effects of his emotional instability, allowing him to regain some of his reasoning. But that didn't make the pain of Botan's loss, nor his guilt and grief, go away. It was merely repressed, waiting to rise to the surface when called. Kurama stopped suddenly, his mind reeling from the pain that filled his chest. His features tightened as he struggled to fight against the ache that welled up within his heart once again. I must not let my emotions get the better of me. I must stay strong and concentrate on finding Botan. Nothing else matters.

"Hey, Kurama? You okay, man?" Yusuke asked.

Kurama brought his eyes over to the detective, noting with a wearied sigh the look of concern upon the young man's face. "I'm fine, Yusuke." He answered with a dismissive wave of his hand. "Just a little tired that's all. Give me a minute and we'll continue."

Yusuke frowned but relented. "Okay then. I'll just wait for you over there." He said, gesturing with his head towards a store window a few feet ahead.

Kurama nodded, watching as Hiei followed the detective over to the window, the two pretending interest in the displays shown through the glass. The kitsune lowered his head, trying to keep himself from passing out. I can't find Botan in this condition. I need rest.

Then let me take over for awhile. Youko's voice intruded upon Kurama's thoughts.

The red haired man closed his eyes. And have every human freaking out at your presence. He countered. That would be most unwise.

As if moping around like a broken hearted school boy is any better. Youko growled in irritation. Did you forget that I love Botan too?

Kurama smirked. No. He replied. Because you are me.

That I may be but, you are also me as well. Youko replied, fully aware he was the dormant personality. So unless you want to pass out and cause a scene in front of all these humans, I suggest you let me take over.

The kitsune's features fell at the thought. I cannot allow you to have control. It's too risky.

Then let me take partial control. Youko offered. You'll pass as a human while having part of my power. Or do you want to die before our mate is found.

Kurama's features grew hard, his body stiffening at the tone of his other self but he said nothing.

Well? Youko growled, irritated at the silence of his human side. What's it going to be?

"Hey, Kurama? You feeling okay?" Kuwabara voice called out in concern. After his little moment with Yukina, he had rushed to catch up to the others, dragging Yukina along with him. But upon noticing Kurama bent over, he stopped, wanting to help his friend if he could.

"I'm fine, Kuwabara." Kurama replied as he straightened his frame, bringing himself upright once more.

The orange haired man's eyebrows shot up in surprise not only at the deep tone of voice that met his ears but the sudden change in the kitsune's height. Normally Kurama stood a few inches shorter than the street fighter but now they were at eye level. Something weird's going on here. He grumbled. Maybe Youko's involved in someway. Kuwabara's suspicions were soon confirmed as Kurama's eyes opened, revealing golden orbs.

"Let's go." Kurama commanded, not bothering to give an explanation to the confused Kuwabara as he turned and walked over to Yusuke and Hiei who eyed him questioningly but said nothing, nodding to whatever he was saying. The kitsune tossed a look over his shoulder, his features slightly more defined, like Youko's, though most of his human features remained. "Are you coming along or are you just going to stare?" He asked though his tone was more teasing than harsh.

Kuwabara frowned but nodded, moving up to join his friends, Yukina by his side as the five of them set off in search of the ferry girl and the one who took her.

&&&&&

Ren stood atop the roof of the building he called home, his eyes trained to the west as he watched the last remnants of the sun disappear below the horizon. No matter where he was, or what he was doing, Ren would stop and admire the first comings of night, religiously witnessing the change in power and control over the land, light giving way to dark. Just like the loss of his heart and soul so long ago. He had been too weak, too vain perhaps to see what the choices of his past had wrought him. Of what he had become. But he had not the strength to fight the change, the cold and unfeeling darkness luring him in, like a temptress, caressing his fears away and seducing his mind into a false sense of justice. In the beginning, Ren had felt some light, some hope within him. But the light that had once held a small hold upon his heart had all but died long ago, replaced by a dark need. A need for revenge upon every creature and being within Reikai. They took everything from me. And soon I will return the favor.

But not just yet. There were still a few things to take care of. Upon news of Kigorei's discovery in regards to Yusuke, Ren was convinced the spirit detectives were actively searching for Botan within the confines of Tokyo. A fact that made it a little more difficult for him to carry out his original plans. They would be more alert for danger. He wanted them caught off guard. It was the best way to get the first shot in. That all important first shot. Ren and Tahomen needed to get close enough to use their main attack. The one that would guarantee their success in not only defeating the detectives but the elders and soldiers once they entered Reikai.

"Ren?"

The dark haired man lowered his gaze away from the star filled heavens, his impassive gray eyes meeting the questioning blue ones of the one who had called out to him. "Ailia." He returned in a detached voice. "Did you do as I instructed?"

Ailia nodded. "Botan is sleeping peacefully, without any nightmares or dreams to plague her." She answered. "I made sure of it."

"Good." Ren replied with a half smile. Turning his attention back to the sky he continued. "There is something else I must ask of you before we begin our attack tomorrow."

"And that would be?" Ailia asked, her gaze now fixed upon the back of her leader's head.

"To watch over Botan until I send for you."

Ailia frowned, not liking this sudden command. "Are you saying I'm not to fight with you?"

Ren took a few seconds before replying. "You will be involved, Ailia. In a most important way."

"And what way would that be?"

Ren turned to look at her. "Why, to bring Botan along to bear witness to the destruction of her lover, Kurama."

Ailia paled. He wasn't go to actually ... "You can't be serious," She began, troubled at the thought of the deity witnessing such an event. "That will kill her, Ren. I thought you wanted her to live."

"She will live." Ren countered. "Even after Kurama dies she will still live." He added cryptically.

"How?" Ailia asked, her features twisting into a mask of confusion.

He turned away from her once again. "You will see, Ailia. All will become clear once I send for you." Ren said in an eerily calm tone. "Now why don't you run along and get some rest. We have a long day tomorrow."

Ailia stared at Ren darkly, not liking his dismissive tone but complied. Pivoting around, she made her way back to the roof top door only to stop when Ren called out to her.

"Oh, and one more thing."

Ailia turned to him. "What is it?"

Ren held up his right hand, a business card visible in-between his index and middle finger. "Botan's special gift should be ready tomorrow. Be so kind as to pick it up at this location." He answered. Flicking his wrist, Ren used his telekinetic power to float the card over to Ailia who grabbed it.

She looked down, reading the red kanji quickly before bringing her gaze upright again. "And what do you want me to do once I get it?"

"Make sure she's wearing it, before I send for you." He answered as he lowered his hand back to his side.

No more words were said, the meaning all too clear to Ailia who turned and walked back towards the door, exiting the roof top, leaving Ren alone to his thoughts once more.

Tomorrow it begins. He thought, a look of excitement taking hold of his features as he continued to gaze up at the stars, lost in the idea of a what would soon be his.

&&&&&

Night claimed dominance along the skyline above Tokyo, the lights of the city illuminating the streets and buildings within the sprawling metropolis, the growing darkness calling out to the party goers and revelers. They readily complied, flocking the streets in search of the evening's best entertainment. Things were no different at Runaki park in the western district of Tokyo. A large forested park with several water fountains that lit up in a dazzling array of colors spread throughout it's twenty acres, Runaki drew visitors nightly, especially young lovers seeking a small respite from the more hectic and crowded confines of the busier districts. But for one person in particular, no rest was to be found.

Kurama sat upon a wooden bench under a large street lamp, the gold eyes of Youko replace by the wearied emerald ones of Suuichi who watched the groups of humans as they passed by. A lost expression remained fixed upon his face as he witnessed couple after couple walk through the lighted pathway that wrapped around the area he was in. A few days ago it had been him and Botan strolling along, enjoying each other's company. And now. Now he was alone, with no one to hold. Botan. Kurama thought sadly.

Another day of searching had brought no new results. Upon meeting at the park, the detectives had disbanded one by one getting reassurance from the kitsune that he wouldn't run off and abandon them again before calling it an evening and heading back to their perspective homes. Now only Kurama remained, lost within his own thoughts as to the current state of his beloved. Where was Botan now? What was she feeling? Was she in pain? Did she still remember him at all? Or had she forgotten him completely? Kurama closed his eyes, the guilt and grief he had repressed for most of the day rising to the surface. Like a knife, it slit through his defenses, lodging firmly into his aching heart, laying him open to the pain, to the shame of his failure. I should have been stronger. I should have taken Botan with me. But I didn't. I abandoned her when she needed me most. And now she is suffering because of me.

"You're wrong, Kurama. Botan suffers because of Ren. Not you."

Kurama's eyelids snapped open, drawn outside of his mind by the familar voice of Hiei. He turned his head to the left, a dark look suddenly upon his face as he watched his best friend approach him. "She does suffer because of me, Hiei." He replied coolly, perturbed by the intrusion of his mind once again by the fire demon.

Hiei's features remained impassive, not offended by the angry look the kitsune threw at him. After all, he is part human now. Stands to reason he would have more humanistic emotions. "Only because you've let your emotions overcome your reason again." He retorted before adding, "And I thought we went over this discussion already. So don't get bogged down by your feelings. They only harm our cause."

"Our cause?" Kurama whispered with a quirked eyebrow, his voice dropping an octave as Youko vied for control. "In what way, Hiei?" He growled, aggravated at the lecturing tone his friend was addressing him with. "Because I love my mate? Are you implying my feelings for Botan are a hindrance to me? To the group? Is that what you are telling me?"

"Only in the search for her, Kurama." Hiei answered unaffected by the kitsune's rising anger. "Remember what I said to you earlier today. Ren wants you to act impulsively. It will give him all the advantage he needs. Don't let him win."

Kurama turned away from the fire youkai. "Suppressing my emotions only works for so long, Hiei." He said softly, anger replaced by grief once more. "It always comes back, worse than before."

"Then perhaps you need some rest."

Kurama shook his head. "I don't feel like resting right now." He replied. "Besides, where can I go?" He asked. "I can't go back to my apartment and I won't endanger my mother."

"Come to Mukuro's with me." Hiei answered a few seconds later. "If you want, she'll give you some medicine that will calm your mind and your nerves."

Kurama frowned at the last comment. "A sedative you mean." He replied. As a plant master, the kitsune knew full well just how powerful Makai sedatives could be. And I want to be lucid enough when we begin our search tomorrow. "I thank you for the offer, but no. I think I'll remain here in Ningenkai."

"So you can sneak off and hunt for Botan on your own?" Hiei countered. "Don't be so stubborn, fox."

"I won't run away, Hiei." Kurama said in mild annoyance. "I gave my word. I will meet everyone at Yusuke's tomorrow. As promised."

"Hn." Hiei sounded, not really convinced of his friend's sincerity. "Where will you be staying tonight?"

Kurama brought his right hand up and into his jacket. Reaching into the left inside pocket, he pulled out a brown wallet. Opening it up, he checked his finances, an approving look upon his face at the numerous bills tucked inside. He folded the wallet back up then stuck it back into his pocket. "I have enough money to rent a room for the night. So don't worry about it."

"Whatever." Hiei replied, displaying his usual impassive behavior. "Just remember I won't be there tomorrow."

A smirk tugged at the corners of Kurama's lips. "I know." He replied, his tone lightening, almost teasing as he looked over to his friend. "You'll be following Kuwabara and Yukina on their date tomorrow."

Hiei's right eyebrow began to twitch at the mention of his sister's first ever date. "I can't believe that moron is actually going to do this with all the danger that surrounds us."

"Ah, but remember," Kurama replied. "Kuwabara is a man of his word. He couldn't bring himself to cancel his date with Yukina, even if he wanted to."

Hiei snorted. "The only thing that man is good for is getting himself into trouble." He growled. "And normally I wouldn't care but since Yukina is involved, I can't very well walk away."

"Aren't you being a little over protective, Hiei?" Kurama asked. "Certainly you don't think Kuwabara would ..."

"I'll kill him if he tries anything with her!" Hiei snapped, cutting Kurama off before he could complete his sentence.

"Hiei," Kurama began calmly as he rose to his feet. "I know you don't like Kuwabara very much ..."

"That's the understatement of the year." Hiei interrupted with an irritated snort.

"But I have faith he will behave himself." Kurama continued. "And you should have some faith in Yukina as well." He added. "After all, you're her brother. You know her better than anyone else. You don't honestly think she'd let him try anything funny, do you?"

Hiei studied his best friend, a thoughtful look blooming across his face. "Hmph." He sounded but didn't answer as he turned and walked away, disappearing in the shadows of night.

Kurama watched his friend go, certain the fire demon would follow Kuwabara and Yukina throughout the day tomorrow. After all stalking was his specialty. And his sister is precious to him. Even though he won't tell her the truth about who he is. Kurama frowned as a new thought entered his mind. Kuwabara, Yukina and Hiei would be over three hundred miles away without back up of any kind. And although Kurama understood Kuwabara's insistence to take Yukina out, the kitsune couldn't help but feel something bad would happen from it. Watch over them carefully, Hiei. They may need your help before the day is over. With that last thought, Kurama pivoted to his right and began to walk down the path, heading back into town where a room soon awaited him.

&&&&&

Kuwabara sat in the aisle seat of the JR train heading directly to Kyoto, his rugged features drawn up in a look of excited contentment. For sitting beside him in the window seat, was his one true love, Yukina. She had met him earlier in the morning at the bottom of Genkai's temple steps, dressed in dark blue jeans, a fluffy white sweater and a powder blue fleece jacket. Kuwabara had stopped, startled to see Yukina in something other than the ice blue kimono she favored. But he quickly got over it, holding his arm out for the ice maiden to take. They had boarded the train at precisely 9:30, handing over to the conductor their tickets before making their way to their seats.

I still can't believe I'm really doing this! I can't believe Yukina's here with me! Kuwabara was feeling positively giddy with joy. His gaze shifted, his dark eyes taking in the lovely sight of the ice maiden, his features growing tender at the excited look upon Yukina's face. It had been close to an hour into the trip and the landscape had changed dramatically, more hilly and forested, picturesque even. Better than the crappy city I live in. He thought with relief. It sure felt good to get out of such a hectic and noisy place. And with Yukina by my side, my day will be complete.

"Kazuma?" Yukina's voice suddenly intruded upon his thoughts, drawing his attention back to the ice maiden.

"What is it Yukina?" Kuwabara asked softly, his concerned orbs meeting the troubled red ones of Yukina. "You feeling all right?"

Yukina nodded. "Yes. It's just that ..."

"Yeah?" Kuwabara asked, looking at her expectantly.

Yukina leaned in close to the orange haired street fighter, so close their noses were almost touching.

Kuwabara swallowed the sudden lump in his throat. Oh my God! His mind cried in jubilant anticipation. She's going to kiss me!

His hopes were instantly dashed as the ice maiden brought her hand up to the side, her features conspiratorial as she whispered, "I have to go to the bathroom."

Kuwabara fell sideways out of his seat, his large frame then his head smacking into the aisle but he quickly recovered, jumping to his feet then dropping back into his seat.

"Are you okay, Kazuma?" Yukina asked in concern, reaching up to gently touch the small bump that had formed on the left side of his head.

Kuwabara winced but didn't pull away, allowing the ice youkai to use her healing power to rid him of his minor injury. He closed his eyes, enjoying her touch, a blush spreading along his cheeks as he felt her fingers suddenly brush across his jaw. He opened his eyes, surprised at the tender look upon his lady fair's face. "Yukina?" He whispered, reaching up to place his hand upon the petite demon's.

"Are you all right now, Kazuma?" Yukina asked softly, her fond gaze meeting his own, a blush suddenly upon her as the street fighter rested his hand above her own. She had been as equally surprised by her reaction as Kuwabara had been. But I wanted him to know I care about him. And that's what this was all about. This trip they were taking, Yukina knew the reasons why Kuwabara had accepted her request. She wasn't as naive as the others thought her to be. She had known Kuwabara for well over three years. And in that time, she had grown to love him. He had sacrificed so much on her behalf. He was selfless and loving. And he cared about her. Unconditionally. And that's what she wanted. Someone who was kind and loving and loyal. Someone who would never leave her. Kuwabara had never let her down. And I won't let him down either. She vowed. Today I'll tell him how I really feel. With great reluctance, Yukina began to pull her hand away.

Kuwabara removed his hand from her own, freeing up the ice maiden's hand. But still, his heart was thumping frantically. As much as he loved Yukina, rarely had she displayed such open affection. Nor had he ever seen her blush as darkly as she did now. And never had she confessed any kind of feelings beyond friendship for him. So was it true? Did she really love him?

"Kuwabara?"

His gaze met hers once again, his features gentle as he asked, "Yes, Yukina?" Maybe she'll tell me how she feels. He thought hopefully as he waited for her to continue.

"Um .. I know this is silly but could you take me to the bathroom. I've never been on a train before. So this is a new experience for me."

Kuwabara hid his disappointment well, giving her a nod as he rose to his feet and turned to the side to let the ice youkai out before leading her towards the cable car in the back where the rest rooms where. The two exited quietly, unaware of the pair of red eyes that watched them go.

Hiei sat towards the back of the car, his spiky tufts of hair hidden by a black baseball cap that fit snugly upon his head. It had taken him several painstaking minutes using some kind of human substance know as gel to get his hair slicked down enough so he could wear a hat. The fire demon shifted uncomfortably in his seat, fighting the urge to rip off the stupid ningen clothing he had forced himself to wear. He had opted for something a little less stalker like, stealing a pair of light blue jeans and a black sweater with an equally black wind breaker from a closed department store downtown. His white tennis shoes and black baseball cap completed his ensemble. The cap even hid the majority of his head band, allowing him to blend in with the other occupants. But that doesn't mean I have to enjoy it. He grumbled inwardly. Not only was this trip a pain in the ass but having to watch his sister display any kind of affection towards a man he disliked intensely was nauseating. It was going to be a long day, especially with the certainty he would witness more lovey dovey stuff between the two he was watching. I only hope he doesn't end up kissing her or even ... Hiei's upper lip twitched at the next thought, the suddenly intimate visual causing his features to darken. It better not get to that point. He growled silently. Because if it does, I don't know what I might do. Clenching his jaw, the fire youkai willed himself calm, keeping his ki in check so as not to be detected. I can't give myself away. He reminded himself. He could care less if the moron found out. But if Yukina did, he knew she would never forgive him. And I can't bear the thought of her mad at me. With that in mind, he settled himself back and closed his eyes, relaxing before he began what would certainly be a day in hell.

&&&&&

Okay, guys. I just want you all to know I'm not dead although I may be for having only begun on Kuwabara and Yukina's date but it couldn't be helped. It's been over a month since I last updated and I wanted to get this out to all of you. I know how hard it is to wait and I'm thankful for those loyal to this story for sticking around with me for so long. I started this epic of mine over 14 months ago and I never expected it to become this long or this complicated. True I had the plot line planned out but never the number of pages or words. Still the ride has been fun so far and I hope it has been for you as well. Also the reasons for my longer time between updates revolves around family matters that are sapping my energy and time. My home life is extremely tense and uncomfortable right now and I'm really stressing. I have no motivation whatsoever so it does take me longer to get things done. Okay enough with the crappy sensitive stuff onto the synopsis!

Kuwabara here giving you guys a little tidbit for the next chapter! After taking Yukina out for the time of her life, two of Ren's cowardly goons ambush us, attacking both me and my love. But what the hell! How did the shrimp get here so fast! And if that's not bad enough, Kurama splits off on his own, drawn far away from the city by his reconnected bond to Botan. But what waits for him is a trap he may not escape from. While at the same time, Urameshi and his girl are attacked by Ren and ... Mr. Shinato! Why is he helping Ren? And why does he seem so reluctant to end my best friend's life? Find out in chapter 35-- The End of All Things