Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Ambrosia ❯ Ambrosia ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I find it interesting how one day your life can be so ordinary and in a matter of seconds it is the most hectic thing you could imagine and rarely what you think will happen actually happens. Today was supposed to be one of those not-so-extraordinary-yet-not-dull kinds of days. But before I even got to work it began to show signs of being one of those days I would hope would pass sooner than a normal twenty four hours, heck, I'd give anything for it to last a couple minutes. It all stared with that insane little fox that decided to dart out in front of that car. I just watched and then there it was I was certain I saw it, a flash of black and then the fox was gone. The fox just disappeared, but how? No one else saw it but me; the driver had yet to see the little creature scampering along the road. It was a strange looking fox, not the normal that we have around here.

But I didn't want to be late for work, so I hurried along arriving at my desk just in time to see that overgrown buffoon they call boss. How such a stupid, ignorant, human came into existence was beyond what I could imagine. What was even more puzzling was that this insane maniac was able to score such a beautiful fiancé; but that wasn't as puzzling as his behavior. My Boss, Kazuma Kuwabara, is an idiot; how he arrived in a position of power is almost impossible, it must have been a fluke. He has a strange way of proving to be a dependent person; he's always leaving on "family emergencies." With all the family emergencies he's had his family should be dead. No family could sustain that many emergencies and not be dead or mentally ill; hmm, perhaps that is what is wrong with Kazuma Kuwabara. Ah, the dull-headed baboon moves my way, probably going to ask about that research I was supposed to do on that company. What was it called? Yomi Incorporated? That was a strange name for a company, and their numbers don't match up that well. They get these rare gems and strange artifacts for pennies and sell them for outrageous prices, but who would have sold them some precious jewels for such a small amount of money? And they dodged all my questions about seeing this famous Yomi that created the company; he was always "out of town" or "with a client." Hogwash if you ask me.

Here he comes, floppy orange hair that went out of style when Elvis died, someone really should tell him that; won't be me, I enjoy making fun of him too much.

"Hey, Hamper-whatever, you got that research on Yomi?"

Hamper? Why do I put up with this and I was right about him asking about that corporation, "It's Amber but I prefer you call me by my full name, Ambrosia."

"Ambrosia? That's a weird name."

I scowl and grunt under my breath, "Like Kuwabara is usual, you bull-faced ignorant---"

"What was that?"

"Eh, just mumbling to myself." That dull-witted monkey couldn't hear if his life depended on it. I hand him the papers; "This Yomi fellow is mysterious. I don't trust him."

Kuwabara, the idiot, just smiled at me. I think I'm going to puke, "Well, I don't pay you to trust. I pay you to research. Here's your next topic."

A slip of paper is all I get and I'm supposed to make an entire folder of information on it, maybe I should apply for a detective job, they get better pay than I do. "Dark Artifacts? That's that little store by the Deli."

"Yeah, I wanna know how it's doing."

"What's with all this foreign crap all of a sudden?"

He smiled again and I need that barf bag. "I don't pay you to ask questions about my interests either."

Frog nosed little imp! I don't get paid enough for this kind of treatment; with all this research on this weird mumbo jumbo he's researching I could always open an auction house. Ah, there he goes, retreating back into his office. He'll most likely leave in a couple minutes on another one of his "family emergencies." I roll my eyes, no use in waiting for an invitation; that `Dark Artifacts' store will not call me.

I lug my laptop into the store, the bell clinging as I open the squeaky door. It slams shut behind me kicking up some dust on the floor and I shake my black boots. I purposefully dressed in my short black dress, black trench coat, and high heel boots; the contrast between my pale skin, blue eyes, and light blonde hair makes me irresistible, well to some. Stupid dust ruins black, must be a poor storeowner. I walk around gazing at strange artifacts inscribed in strange languages; I know I must have walked around for thirty minutes before a short little cloaked figure walked up to me to ask if I needed help. "Yes, what language is this?" I pointed to a vase with an inscription around the lid.

He stammered, "Um, I don't believe I know; perhaps my benefactor would know." In a flash the small attendant was gone. I sighed; hired help wasn't much help if they had to run to the owner for every answer. In a few minutes the cloaked figure was back, I marveled at his stature. He only came to about my waist, I supposed he must have a growth disorder, why else would he wear a green cloak? "My master said that it is nothing to concern yourself about."

Master? Was he a slave? No wonder Kazuma wanted me to look into this store. "May I see the owner of this store?"

"I'm sorry but he is out of town."

Out of town? The same answer I got from Yomi Incorporated. "When do you expect him back?"

"I'm not certain."

I glanced around; this had an upstairs too didn't it? I'm not letting this one get away like Yomi. "I'll be staying in your upstairs room."

"Oh, I cannot allow you. Master Hiei would be very angry."

Master Hiei is it? Must be the slave owner; I'm going to bust this little slave operation wide open. "Then he can speak to me about it." I pulled a wad of bills from my pocket; money can solve anything. "This should cover the first week. If he comes before then, you keep what is left."

"I have no need for colored paper."

What! Had this poor creature not heard of money and dollar bills! What had this Hiei character done to him! Cling-Ding The bell on the door, I face the door and notice a shadowed figure standing in the doorway mumbling; I strain to hear. "I told you stay out of the road when like that. I kept you in that room for a reason; you can't just prance around like you did at home. You should know that. Hn! You little---!" I believe I heard a growl from this obviously mental man as he continued, "You bit me! I'm doing you a favor! You'll thank me later!"

The little slave beside me ran to the figure, "Master! Did you find him?"

"Yes, he was about to get himself killed. Twenty eight years in the human world and he still hasn't learned red lights."

Human world? So what, this guy is some kind of believer in the hereafter or something? I clear my throat hoping to draw attention. The "master's" head jerks up and I notice red eyes glaring into my own. Something about him frightens me, I don't know if it's his red eyes or the icy stare behind them but something has me chilled to the bone. I try to stop shaking but can't help it; my laptop clatters to the floor. He tilts his head, an even colder deep voice flows to my shaking ears, "What do you want."

"I-I'm here from, from---" Oh no what is my company name! I haven't forgotten it in the six years I've worked there! I blink and pick up my laptop, hoping to lose contact with that frozen glare. I've stared down the barrel of a gun and yet the stare of one man makes my knees nock together, how absurd is this. I look away, "I want to know what these inscriptions mean."

"It says, `The dark one shall be brought low by the thing it hates most.' Now you know, so either buy something or leave."

I try to smile, "I noticed you had a room above you."

"Hn. Your point?" His red eyes catch mine, as though trying to read my mind through them.

"I want to rent it." I throw the wad of cash at his feet. I have now regained my composure and I will not leave until I have this fish caught and in the frying pan. He smirked and kicked the cash up to him with his foot and caught it in mid-air. "Very well then. But if anything comes up missing, you'll pay for it." The "master Hiei" then disappeared behind a door in the back of the store.

I smile at the servant, "Tough guy there."

"Master Hiei is not as tough as you think."

"Tell me, why do you call him Master?"

I notice a smile from under the cloak, "Because he owns me. I do his bidding and it pleases him and that pleases me."

"You have some mixed up logic." Probably put in you by that maniac that I just saw. Who was he talking to anyway? "Could you show me to my room?"

"Of course."

After settling into my room I noticed it was well into the night and I should get some sleep; so I hopped into my bed and shrugged down under the silk covers. Why such a cold man would have silk covers in a guestroom is unthinkable, especially this late at night. What was that? Something on my leg… there is something in my bed! I jump up screaming, the man in black runs into my room, sword drawn. "What is it!" He yells.

I point to my bed and stutter. "S-s-something is in my bed." I cower behind him, grabbing onto his shoulders as he walked toward the bed and flicked the covers with his sword. There in the bottom of my bed was a furry little fox that peeped upon seeing the shirtless "master" in front of me. The "master" huffed and growled, "Kurama, I swear if you weren't you I'd slice you in half right now!"

I immediately run to the fox's side in defense. "You would do no such thing to a poor defenseless fox!" I scoop the fox up in my arms and cradle him; "He didn't know what he was doing!"

"That's what you think." He sighed and waved his sword, "Fine, sleep with him for all I care. He doesn't have fleas or anything else that is labeled as `nasty' so see if I care. But don't come crawling to me when he… whatever. Hn. don't scream again."

"Or what?"

"Or I'll slice you in half you ignorant human." Without another word he disappeared into the darkness of the hallway. After lying back down, and of course after some gentle petting of the soft fox, he curled up on my chest and went to sleep. I began to think aloud, "Ignorant Human… why not woman? Why not imbecile, who is this guy? Why did he have a sword, not a gun, not a bat, but a sword? And why is he so, so… weird? Why does he have a pet fox? Man, I'm way over my head in this one."