Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Artemis, the American Girl ❯ Homesick ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Homesick

Genkai was practically beating the lights outta Yuske.

"You just LET her use the PHONE and it never DAWNED on you that she MIGHT be talking to SAKYO?"

"No, ma'am."

SMACK!

"Wrong answer! You SUPPOSED to be WATCHING the girl, not IGNORING her!"

"Yes, ma'am."
WHACK!

"You do that AGAIN and you'll REGRET it, understood?!"

"Yes, ma'am."

Hiei snorted as Genkai left. "That wasn't as bad as she is on her REALLY bad days, was it?"

"No, just half a pain filled." Yuske rubbed the back of his head. "But she does always bring her point across."
Kurama smiled. "I think I might know where she's going."

"REALLY?" the other three chorused.

"Listen to this recording I got from the phone."

`Hello?'

`Artemis?'

`Hullo, father.'

For a short while there was nothing being said.

`Father?'

`Nothing. Um, look, the papers are coming, they'll say were your going next. I hope that you feel more comfortable with them than you are with me. Good luck, Artemis.' The sounds of the receiver going down was heard, but nothing more.

"She's going somewhere WE don't even know?"

Shizuru walked into the room. "Look what little miss perfect just handed me." They were legal documents of an adoption of Artemis Raven Jinx Talon's newest adoption to Stacey-Lee Jennings. "I think she WANTED me to show it to you. She's leaving tomorrow on a plane to somewhere in Illinois. It's like a huge rush hour for her. She's packing simple cloths, leaving behind the newest cloths in her closet. It's like she's TRYING to forget her past. Why's Yuske's head all red?"

"Genkai," they all said flatly as one.

"Ookie, well, Artemis is crying a river, people!"

~@~

Sakyo was rocking gently back and forth on the edge of his chair. There was a loud rap at his window.

A short figure was knocking on the window. It was dressed in dark colors and had a black cap over what looked like light blue hair.

"Touya?"

`Jin's going to distract the guards, I want you to open the window when he does,' Touya mouthed. Sakyo nodded.

There was a crash and then a few gun fires and Sakyo ran to the window and found something grabbing his arm. He was pulled from the window by a pair of strong hands. He looked up to see Suzuki staring down at Touya, he made a gesture by waving his hand in a quick half circle and then nodded, pulling Sakyo out.

"What's going on?" he whispered to Shishi Wakamaru as he was led away.

"You REALLY think Yuske wouldn't have a backup plan if our missions are put down? Geez. Code 17! 4 tar!" There was a figure coming down to them. It was a young demon. "Shura, get him three blocks away, Jin'll be there."

Shura nodded. "Here." He tapped Sakyo's shoulder and Sakyo was light feeling.

~@~

Artemis got off the plane, three days after the raid on Sakyo's apartment.

She walked along the dock. There they were. Her new guardians. Ototo and Karasu. They LOOKED friendly.

Karasu was flipping a coin and was looking at Ototo. He didn't seem to be talking, but the way Ototo was nodding and making gestures indicated he was talking.

"Gomen kudasai?"

"Yes, cam I help you?" Karasu asked. "Are you Artemis Talon?"

"Yes, I am, sir."

"Your new name will be Stacey-Lee."

"NAZE?"

(A/N: `Gomen kudasai' = Excuse me. `Naze' = `What')

"You don't like it?"

"To bad."
Artemis's heart fell. `Sakyo! I'm sorry for anything I did to make you angry! I'm sorry!'

~@~

Sakyo was shocked at the news. `Artemis has already left? She didn't even say good-bye. But then again, I never said good-bye to her either.'

Sakyo sat there, sipping his tea when Genkai came in with a note. She held it out.

"Shizuru was holding onto this for you. It's Artemis's last words, written down for you."

"Thank you, Genkai-san." He opened the note and stared at the first line.

`Dear Chichi…'

(A/N: `Chichi' = `Father' `Dad')

`Sumimasen, chichi. I can't do anything good any more. Sensei Luigi will take me to the jinja when I am in my new home. Sumimasen.

`Dewa mata,

`Kodomo Artemis.'

(A/N: `Sumimasen' = `I am sorry'. `Chichi' = `Father'. `Sensei' = `Teacher'. `jinja' = `Shrine'. `Dewa mata' = `Until we meet again'. `Kodomo' = `child'. For those who want to know.)

Sakyo's eyes wandered to the bottom where there was a picture of her and Sakyo from when she was ten. He smiled.

`Still drawing people with no real backgrounds, huh?' Sakyo thought, rubbing his hand over the picture. `Its still beautiful to me.'

"Sakyo?" Shizuru had been standing in the door way with Touya for a time now. She smiled at him. "Sakyo, she's going to be fine. Touya's just been informed that Jin's found Artemis, and she's not looking all to bright right now."
"Is she still OK?"

"Yes," Touya said. "She's just not happy, that's all. Our inside informer, Karasu, said that she's been eating when he's the only one there. But she rarely eats in front of Ototo and Bui. She still getting comfortable with Ani watching her. But she's doing just fine."

Sakyo sighed. "Do you like heart wrenching letters?"

They both nodded.

"Read this."

They read the note together then handed it back to Sakyo. He smiled. "She's always wanting to cheer me up. To see the picture in the corner is a joy in itself. She's always drawn pictures of us to make me smile. That was of a portrait of me and her at her tenth birthday party. She loved that dress."

"I think she'd make a great daughter." Shizuru sat down. "Karasu and Ani are going to bail her out of there. That tight a spot, she can't be that hard to miss for just a few more days."
Sakyo nodded. "I want to ask you something."

Touya turned away and walked down the stairs as his headset made a buzz in his ear. "Member 17, yes?"

"Member 20. She's gotten scared of them. They tried to hurt her," came Karasu's voice. There was a soft whimper from the background. "She's scared to let me near her, but 19 made it in here and he's comforting her. She'll heal, though."