Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Barriers ❯ The Beginning ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: I usually try to put these at the end, but a few things warrant immediate attention. First off, I do not own Yu Yu Hakusho or any of the canon characters, only the OCs and the plot, insofar as I thought it up.
 
Secondly, many thanks to my beta, Corri18, for all her invaluable help.
 
And last but not least, this is a massively long first chapter. Please be patient, I promise the following chapters will be much more digestible.
 
With that, I bid you happy reading. I hope you like it, reviews are always welcomed.
 
~Kiku~
 
Koenma sighed. More paperwork. He'd managed to finish two huge stacks of it yesterday, and already there were three more waiting on his desk. It seemed his father was still intent on making him suffer.
 
He ignored whatever Ogre was dithering about and made his way over to his chair. Unusually, it seemed as though a small pile of documents had been set aside from the rest, occupying the space directly in front of him.
 
“Ogre, what's this all about?” He asked over the former's incessant stream of conversation, indicating the papers.
 
“Well, that's what I was just trying to tell you, Koenma sir,” said Ogre rather reproachfully. “But then I suppose you would know that if you ever listened to me…”
 
“Ogre!” Koenma snapped, annoyed. “Just hurry up and tell me what these papers are all about! I don't have all day you know.”
 
Ogre looked like he was about to refuse, but his boss had one of those looks that always made him reconsider, so he settled for an audible, dramatic sigh.
 
“Well, sir, reports have been coming in from Human World as well as the Demon World patrol of various unexplainable phenomena.”
 
“Oh? Like what?”
 
“For starters, demon insects have been showing up in Human World lately. There has also been an increase in the number of humans showing up at the border. The patrol's really had their hands full, you know?”
 
Koenma sat back in his chair, folding his arms across his chest. It had only been a year since the second Makai Tournament, and the winner had been the same demon as before. Things had been going so well, Yusuke and the others hadn't even bothered to show up. Of course, there was still the occasional incident of a demon illegally traveling to the Human World and making a ruckus, but nothing major. So what was all this about?
 
Koenma only half-listened as Ogre rambled on about demon insects, instead inspecting the papers. Sure enough, there was a log of all the humans who had been found on the wrong side of the Demon World border. The numbers seemed to have been increasing steadily for a few months, but last month had seen an increase that tripled the one before.
 
But it was the document on the bottom that really caught Koenma's attention. It indicated something that simply couldn't be true. He read over it several times for confirmation. Small portals had reportedly opened in Spirit World itself, not large enough to allow anything through, but enough that the world on the other side could be seen. It appeared that all discovered portals had been closed, but they seemed to be popping up at an alarming rate.
 
“What's all this about?” Koenma mused aloud.
 
“Er…well, I really don't know, sir,” offered Ogre.
 
“I wasn't asking you, dolt!” Still, he thought, I'd better tell Yusuke and the others what's happening. It may not be as safe as I'd thought.
 
*******
 
Aoyama Shiki opened one eye blearily and scowled at her clock. Was it really morning already? She sat up and rubbed her eyes, trying to clear the last vestiges of the night's dreams from her head.
 
Her school uniform was hanging in her closet; she slid the door back before removing it gently from its hanger and made sure her other clothes were straight before sliding it shut again. Folding her bedclothes neatly, she did a last check that everything was in order before she left her room.
 
Her stockinged feet made no sound as she descended the stairs of her parents' ryokan to the large kitchen where the guests' and family meals alike were prepared.
 
“Good morning, mother,” she said formally, bowing. “Breakfast smells wonderful.”
 
“Good morning, Shiki,” replied Ayaka, smiling. “The tea is ready. Would you please go serve your father?”
 
Shiki nodded, carefully grasping the tray before carrying it into the adjacent family-only dining room. Aoyama Daisuke was, as always, sitting at the head of the small table, reading the daily newspaper. Shiki carefully set down the tray to his left and sat with it, taking great care to pour the tea correctly. It was a task that had been hers since she was young; her parents had even made her take a class on the full-blown tea ceremony. Well, that and everything else one needed to know to run an old-fashioned ryokan like her family's.
 
She returned the teapot to the tray and rose, taking it back to the kitchen. Ayaka would need it for later that morning, when the guests came in for their breakfast. She heard the sound of the paper folding behind her as her father finished reading and reached for his tea. There was nothing quite so predictable as this morning ritual.
 
Her mother had finished the meal, and the three of them ate in relative silence. This was something a little more recent. Conversation, Shiki thought, left the house with Ichirou and Emi. Ichirou, her brother, taught at the University in Kyoto, while her sister Emi had left to pursue a career in show business. As far as the family knew, she was currently working in a restaurant somewhere, waiting for a break.
 
Shiki snuck a look across the table at her parents. Her father was of medium height, with a face all sharp and stubborn angles. His hairline was receding, and there was a substantial amount of gray at each of his temples. Some of it was surely age, but he wasn't really that old. No, a good half of that grey hadn't appeared until Emi had taken off.
 
Ayaka, on the other hand, was still as youthful as ever. She had a pleasant, round face, and her expressions were all naturally soft-looking. Her black hair, like Shiki's own, fell in thick sheets to her elbows. They also shared the same cobalt-blue eyes, though Shiki was confident that her own looks were nothing but a shallow imitation of her mother's radiance, like something seen through translucent glass.
 
Having finished her meal, Shiki waited in silence as her parents did the same, then collected the dishes and took them onto the kitchen. She was up to her elbows in dishwater when her mother joined her, chopping ingredients for guest meals.
 
“Shiki, dear,” her mother began. “How is school these days? We don't seem to get to talk too much anymore, so I wondered how you were doing.”
 
Every once in a while, Ayaka started to feel guilty about the fact that the family wasn't really all that involved in each others' lives anymore. When it came to that, Shiki usually just pushed aside any inquiries with a smile, and that was enough.
 
“School is well, mother,” she said brightly.
 
“I see. Just two years left, right? I'm looking forward to having you around to help here full-time. I could really use it these days.”
 
Shiki's shoulders slumped, and she was glad they were not facing each other. That was the last thing she wanted.
 
“Unless…” Ayaka's tone was strange, causing Shiki to turn. Her mother was looking straight at her, a small, knowing smile on her face. “Unless that's not what you want to do? After all, my two other children chose something else. Perhaps this inn will die with your Father and I.”
 
Shiki sighed inwardly. Her mother was always like this. She knew exactly what Shiki wanted. She'd probably even seen the papers from Tokyo University, though Shiki had been trying her best to hide them. She knew everything, and yet she would not contradict Daisuke's ruling that their youngest child was to work at the inn until she was married to somebody respectable. The inn itself would go to Ichirou, of course, but in practicality it was Shiki who had been trained to run it, since Ichirou was a respected academic.
 
“That is…” Shiki started. She was about to affirm that she would, indeed, be there to help. What else could she do, anyway? Her parents were depending on her.
 
Ayaka held a finger to her lips. “Never speak aloud those things which you are not certain of, my child.”
 
Shiki was startled, and clamped her mouth shut. Her mother was given to the occasional cryptic remark, but not like this.
 
“Well, Shiki, your father thinks it's high time you found yourself a boyfriend. Is there anyone at school you're interested in?” She winked.
 
Ugh. My other least favorite topic. “Not really.”
 
“Whatever happened to Hayato?” He had been the topic of their last real conversation, which was about five weeks ago.
 
The color rose to Shiki's cheeks, and she turned back to the dishes. “I confessed. He rejected me,” she answered bluntly.
 
“Oh?”
 
Shiki was silent. What else was there to say? She'd been nursing a crush on Hayato for the past few months. She'd left a note in his locker and confessed to him after school, like everyone else did. He'd refused her and made some comment about “plain girls” that she'd only half-heard.
 
“Are you okay with that?”
 
Shiki was confused. “I guess. I mean, he didn't like me, right? What's the point in dwelling on it?” She shrugged.
 
Ayaka sighed, but spoke no further on the subject. Shiki dried and stowed the last of the dishes, then bid her parents good day and headed for the door.
 
As she was preparing to leave, Shiki noticed something odd. She could have sworn she saw something crawling around in her left shoe. Curious, she crept toward it carefully. Turning her head to look from a different angle, she spied what appeared to be a large bug. Slapping a hand over her mouth to stifle a shriek, she grabbed an umbrella from the stand by the door. As the thing flew out of her shoe, she swung the umbrella, catching it in mid-flight. It dropped, and she stooped to examine it. It was like no insect she could name, that was for sure. It was much larger, and decidedly more creepy.
 
She used a tissue to pick it up and throw it in the nearest trash can just as her mother appeared in the doorway.
 
“Is everything okay? I thought I heard something.”
 
“Everything's fine, mother. I just saw a bug is all,” Shiki smiled bashfully. “You know how I hate bugs.”
 
She pulled on her shoes and walked out the door for school. Ayaka smiled and bid her farewell. As soon as the door was closed, she opened the lid of the trash can. Her eyes widened as she saw what was inside; a hand flew to her mouth. What could this mean?
 
******
 
“Koenma wants a meeting?” Kurama closed his eyes. This couldn't be good.
 
“Yeah,” Yusuke's voice came form the earpiece of the phone, sounding confused. “Apparently something big's going down, Kurama. He wants you get the message to Hiei too. We're all supposed to show up at Genkai's.”
 
“I see. Did he give any further information?”
 
“No. I've gotta feeling this is something he only wants to explain once, ya know?”
 
“Very well. I will see if I can contact him.”
 
Kurama closed the phone. Not that there were any guarantees. Hiei was pretty busy these days. Besides, there was no way of knowing whether he'd be interested in coming anyway. Still, if it's got Koenma worried enough to risk his father's ire by contacting us, it must be important.
 
He looked out at the city. He was standing on the rooftop of his school, having taken the call during lunch. He noticed one other student present, and had been careful not to say anything too conspicuous.
 
Why was she up here, anyway? Kurama was certain he'd seen her before. Yes, she was in one of the junior classes. Her name was… Aoyama. Aoyama Shiki. He had seen the name frequently on the academic boards for her grade.
 
“Good afternoon, Aoyama-san,” he said, taking a few steps toward her and the stairs downward.
 
She appeared to be surprised that he was talking to her, but quickly hid it with a small smile. “Good afternoon, Minamino-senpai. Do you need something?” The girl had a rather ornate bento box balanced carefully on her lap, and appeared to be just starting to eat.
 
“Ah, no, not really,” he replied. “I was just enjoying the fresh air up here is all.”
 
“It is quite nice,” she remarked blandly. “That's why I eat up here.”
 
“Well, that's not really allowed, now, is it?”
 
“No, I suppose not. But then, neither are cell phones.”
 
“Ehe…” He put a hand to the back of his head. “I suppose fair is fair. Enjoy your lunch.” He put a hand on the doorknob to the stairs and opened it, disappearing from view.
 
*******
 
Shiki was out the door as soon as the bell had stopped ringing. Afternoons were, without a doubt, her favorite time of day. Humming to herself a little, she made her way around to the back of the school, and then due west for a few blocks. As soon as she was sure she was away from anyone who knew her, she broke into a run. This always made the three remaining miles to Jii-chan's house go by quickly. Just before she reached the property, she slowed. If the old man knew how much she enjoyed coming to see him, she'd never hear the end of it.
 
As she walked up the path to his front door, she was aware of someone watching her. A smirk broke across her face, and she turned in the direction of her pursuer.
 
“Come on out, Jii-chan. I know you're there.”
 
“How many times do I have to tell you? Call me sensei! Or at least Ojii-san!” Her grandfather leapt from the cover of the nearby bushes and ran at her.
 
Shrugging off her backpack, Shiki sighed with mock frustration. “Must we do this every day…?” She launched herself into the air, intending to get over the old man's head, but he grabbed an ankle as she cleared his height, forcing her to yank it from his grip and land beside rather than behind him. They faced each other, both moves having been neutralized. Shiki waited. She rarely ever initiated attacks. It wasn't her style, which was probably a good thing, since she was only five feet tall and not terribly strong. Her arts relied on using the strength of others against them.
 
Jii-chan came at her again, and this time, rather than try and evade, she waited. Blocking his first few punches, she was about to launch one of her own when he caught her with a blow to the stomach, bringing her to her knees.
 
“Looks like I win today,” he said smugly. “That's three thousand and twelve to five. My favor of course. Now come inside.”
 
Shiki groaned and entered the dojo. He'd been keeping count ever since he'd started teaching her martial arts at the age of seven. Of course, that was only the count for the light daily hand-to-hand. The real instruction was done with staffs, and these days she won at that pretty often.
 
Shiki entered the changing room and put on her gi, pulling her hair into a ponytail, something her father likely wouldn't approve of. He always said that if she was going to put her hair up, she'd best do it properly and use ornaments. She rolled her eyes. Her father was certainly a good person, but his love of tradition seemed often to eclipse his love for her.
 
She grabbed her jo staff from where it hung on the wall and went through her warmup forms, listening and correcting her posture whenever Jii-chan detected something off, which wasn't as frequent as it had once been. Other students around her sparred with longer bo staffs, but Shiki preferred the lighter, shorter jo, mostly due to her height. Sometimes she also practiced with naginata, which were adjusted to the individual measurements of the wielder.
 
As she swung the staff, she felt herself relax. Practicing like this often lent her much-needed clarity and focus. Around Jii-chan, she was truly at ease. The old man was the only member of her family she considered herself close to, although she and her brother had once been so as well. But now Ichirou was married and in Kyoto, so it wasn't the same as it had been when they were kids.
 
She lowered her staff. It seemed like her heart just wasn't in it today. She'd been feeling weird since she'd seen the bug that morning. It was like there was something tugging at the corner of her thoughts, something she couldn't identify. Whenever she tried to focus on the feeling, it disappeared.
 
“Oy, what's this?!” Jii-chan inquired loudly. “Your form's gone on holiday and taken your focus with it!”
 
Shiki smiled ruefully. “Sorry, Jii-chan. I just can't seem to shake this funny feeling is all.”
 
“Call me sensei!” The old man's expression grew serious. “What kind of feeling?”
 
She shook her head slowly. “I don't know.”
 
“Hmm.” The old man thought for a moment, then smacked the side of his fist against his open palm enthusiastically. “Of course! Come here, girl.”
 
Shiki made a face, but followed him outside anyway. He led her to a tree in the back yard, from which was suspended a birdcage. As they got closer, she could see that the cage contained not a bird, but a large bug like the one she had killed that morning.
 
“What is that, Jii-chan?” She asked, pointing.
 
“So you can see it then?”
 
“What are you talking about? Of course I can see it. It's a giant bug. I killed one just this morning,” she added, shuddering.
 
“Oh? With what?”
 
“An umbrella.”
 
At this, her grandfather laughed uproariously.
 
“What's so funny? It was gross,” she said flatly.
 
“Ehehe, sorry. It's just… an umbrella. Oh dear. You always were resourceful, girl, but that's a new one.”
 
Shiki snorted. “If you're done laughing, you could at least answer my question.”
 
The old man grew sober again, and frowned. “That is a demon insect.”
 
“What?” Shiki shook her head in disbelief. “Demon..?” If her grandfather weren't so serious, she'd have brushed it off as a joke. But there was no trace of laughter remaining in his face. As it was, she still couldn't really accept what he'd just said.
 
“Yes. But there are those better suited to explain this than me. Wait here. I'll be back in a minute.”
 
As he left, Shiki approached the cage with the demon insect. It certainly looked like something she'd call demonic. It had iridescent eyes, a large, sticklike body, and gossamer wings. Still, she couldn't say that it wasn't just a freakishly large version of some actual bug species, though she couldn't identify which.
 
“Well, come on then.” Jii-chan had apparently returned.
 
“Where are we going?”
 
“To visit an old acquaintance of mine. She lives in the mountains.”
 
“The mountains? But I have to go home. Mother and father will be expecting me.”
 
“Which is why I called and told them you'd be home late.”
 
This was moving too quickly. Shiki took a breath to calm herself. “But… shouldn't I change or something?”
 
Jii-chan frowned. Bring your things if you must, but your gi will be just fine where we are going. Bring your staff too.”
 
Shiki was going to argue further, but Jii-chan's expression stopped her. There was something in the old man's usually jovial eyes that belied the importance of whatever it was they were doing. So she simply nodded and went to fetch her backpack and uniform.
 
*******
 
“No.”
 
Kurama sighed. He'd expected about as much. “Hiei, if I didn't think this was important, I wouldn't have come all this way. Please, come with me to Genkai's.”
 
“Why should I care about Koenma's problems?” Hiei's eyes narrowed, and he crossed his arms.
 
“Because they could very well end up as everyone's problems. Think about it. Why would he risk all the punishment associated with contacting us if he didn't think it absolutely necessary?”
 
“Nice try, but I have plenty of better things to do around here.”
 
Kurama smiled, allowing Hiei to see his amusement. “Better things? Like ferrying lost humans back to their own world? Come now, Hiei. If nothing else, the promise of a good fight should at least tempt you to see if it's worth your while.”
 
At the apparition's continued silence, he sighed. “Very well then. I'll just tell Yukina you were busy. I'm sure Kuwabara will be pleased.”
 
Hiei rolled his eyes. It was a cheap gambit, and they both knew it. Still, it was enough. “Fine. But if I don't want to do whatever it is Koenma asks, I'm leaving.”
 
“Of course, Hiei. I'll give you a few minutes to inform the necessary parties, then we'll both leave.”
 
“Hn.” Hiei grunted, then sped off to the patrol headquarters.
 
*******
 
“You have most inconvenient timing as always, Takahashi.” Genkai sipped her tea.
 
“I prefer to think of it as `opportune,'” countered Jii-chan, setting his own cup down. “Things are stirring up, Genkai, we both know it.” He sat back and studied his acquaintance with a measured expression. There were, of course, no guarantees that she would do what he wanted. He could only hope that she would understand how necessary it was.
 
“Are you absolutely sure she's awakened fully?” Genkai returned the stare, and it looked to Shiki very much like two old tigers facing off over some disputed piece of territory.
 
“Of course I am! I wouldn't waste your time, now would I?”
 
“What you are is a waste of space, old man.”
 
“Me?! Old? I don't look half as old as you, hag!”
 
Shiki sighed. He was at it again. Jii-chan seemed to have this argument with all his old “friends.” She'd only met a few of them, each stranger than the last. Genkai actually seemed relatively ordinary, if a bit cranky.
 
“Um… excuse me?”
 
“What is it? Spit it out, child!”
 
“Er… if this is really such a bad time…” She let the question hang in the air. There was really nothing else she could say. The two masters looked at each other again, and it seemed as if half the conversation was happening without her knowledge. She found it slightly annoying to be left out of the loop like this, but she was pretty used to adults not asking for her thoughts.
 
Genkai set down her tea. The girl was right. There was no time to waste. “Well, if you're aware, there's nothing else for it. I'll have to train you. You'll be staying here for the next few days. I hope that's okay,” she said, in a way that suggested it had better be.
 
“Er… that is… I have school, and…” Shiki wasn't certain that this was a good idea.
 
“Eh, don't worry about it!” bellowed Jii-chan. “Vacation's coming up anyway, you can afford to miss a few days. I'll make all of your excuses. You just be good and do what the hag here tells you, okay?” He patted her back in a way that felt more like pounding, and she leaned forward to soften the blow. He'd gone back to that blustery friendliness again. There was no way he'd answer a serious question now.
 
“Sure, Jii-chan,” she said, forcing a rather pained smile.
 
“Well, it's been great, Genkai! I'm off back to my dojo now, though! See you in a few days!” With a silly smile and a wave, he was off, leaving Shiki to wonder what exactly she'd just gotten herself into.
 
******
 
“We've got some time, I'll give you the basics,” Genkai began.
 
“The basics of what, exactly?”
 
Genkai sighed. She hoped Takahashi's granddaughter was a fast learner. “World structure. This world, everything you can perceive with your five senses, is referred to as either the Living World or the Human World. In addition to this world, there are two others: Spirit World, governed by King Yama and his son Koenma, and the Demon World, currently under the control of a rather peaceful faction of demons. Human World and Demon World are connected by a portal that remains open at all times; sometimes humans wander into Demon World by mistake, in which case they are swiftly intercepted and returned here with their memories erased. Are you getting this so far?”
 
Shiki nodded. If she didn't think too much about the implications, it wasn't difficult to grasp at all. “Are the Human and Demon Worlds the only two that are connected? Is there only one connection between them?”
 
Genkai sighed. “The answer to both of your questions should be yes. Typically, souls are ferried from the Living World to Spirit World by ferry spirits when they die. Those in Spirit World have the means to access either of the other worlds if they wish, but there is seldom any occasion other than the one I just mentioned. There is only the one portal between the Human and Demon Worlds, and as I said, it is heavily guarded.”
 
“You said the answers should be yes. Why aren't they?”
 
“That is something I aim to find out. But my other guests are here. Make some more of this tea, would you? I'll allow you to sit in on the meeting if you promise that the information does not leave the room. Perhaps your question will be answered.”
 
Shiki nodded, and took the teapot with her as she rose and headed for Genkai's kitchen. She was surprised to find someone already in there. A young girl with blue hair was apparently preparing a meal of some kind.
 
“Er-” Shiki stammered. Something about the girl felt… odd.
 
The girl smiled shyly. “Hello. I'm Yukina. I live here with Genkai.”
 
Shiki pushed aside her unease and smiled. She seemed friendly enough, certainly more so than Genkai herself. “I'm Aoyama Shiki. Just Shiki is fine, though. Pleased to meet you.” She indicated the pot. “Mind if I use the stove?”
 
Yukina shook her head. “Not at all.”
 
“Thanks.” Shiki moved next to Yukina and turned on the burner next to the one the other girl was using. “What are you making? It smells very nice. I'd say it was stew, but… there's something interesting in it.”
 
“Oh. I'm using several local herbs from around here, so maybe that's it.”
 
“Is that so? You will have to teach me which ones.” Shiki fell silent. I guess I'm mother's daughter after all. The thought was tinged with some bitterness; she wondered if any of her interests were really her own, or if they had all been manufactured by someone else…
 
“Um… Shiki? Is something wrong? The water has been boiling for a while now and-”
 
“Oh!” Startled, Shiki grabbed the pot from the burner, moving it to the counter beside the stove. “Thanks, Yukina-san. Is the tea in here?” She opened the cupboard anyway, and found what she was looking for. Allowing the tea to steep, she leaned on the opposite counter and closed her eyes.
 
Yukina smiled, occasionally stirring the large pot of stew still on the oven. After a few minutes, Shiki moved the teapot to a tray, setting several cups on it as well. She had no idea how many guests there would be, so she decided to be on the safe side and take a couple of spares.
 
“I'll see you later, I suppose,” she said to Yukina, then left carrying the tray.
 
She knelt in front of the door before knocking. At Genkai's acknowledgement, she slid open the door and stood again, carrying the tray into the room. She was surprised to observe that most of the guests appeared to be her age. There was another girl with blue hair; this one had a cheery face and wore a pink kimono. She was in the company of a strangely-dressed toddler who sat most uncharacteristically still for someone of his age. There were also two high school-aged males. Both of them looked like delinquents or something; one had slicked black hair and a scowl, the other one was still in his school uniform, and was at least a foot and a half taller than Shiki, with orange hair.
 
They were quite possibly the strangest-looking group of people she had ever seen. Still, it was her job as hostess not to let that show. If there was one thing being the daughter of an okami was good for, it was developing a pleasant mask. So Shiki served them all tea without saying anything.
 
“And who's this?” asked the blue-haired woman.
 
Shiki looked to Genkai, who nodded. “I'm Aoyama Shiki. I've come to train under Genkai-sensei. Pleased to meet you.” She bowed.
 
“So formal! I'm Botan, Chief Ferry Girl of the River Styx! This here's Koenma, my boss, and those two are Urameshi Yusuke and Kuwabara Kazuma.”
 
“Jeez, Botan, I can introduce myself!” admonished the one called Kuwabara.
 
Shiki wasn't paying much attention. She looked at the toddler again. Unless she was mistaken (and she was pretty sure she wasn't) Botan had said that he was Koenma. Which was almost certainly the same name as Genkai had told her the young lord of Spirit World had.
 
“Um…” she began awkwardly, her practiced poker face slipping a bit.
 
“Your surprise is understandable,” the toddler said fluently. “But I am, in fact, Koenma.”
 
“Ah.” Shiki wasn't exactly sure what to do, so she bowed deeply. “It is an honor to meet your highness,” she managed.
 
“Did you hear that, everyone? Someone just showed me the proper respect! You could all take a lesson from this!”
 
“Aw, can it Koenma. You can't blame her since she doesn't know you,” Yusuke smirked. “You don't need to bow to him or anything, trust me.”
 
“Yusuke!”
 
“Would you two be quiet?” Genkai snapped. “Honestly. Arguing like children. Where are the others?”
 
“Others?” Shiki asked.
 
“We're waiting for Kurama and Hiei,” offered Botan. Upon seeing Shiki's confused expression, however, she elaborated. “They're the last members of our group. Kurama went to go find Hiei, but we're not sure how well it's going to work, exactly. It's a…complicated situation.”
 
“I see.” Shiki didn't really get it, but she supposed she'd find out soon enough anyway.
 
“Speaking of which, they've just arrived,” said Yusuke.
 
Shiki looked over at the door as it slid open. The first person she saw was a guy with spiky black hair. She would have guessed he was about two inches shorter than herself (not counting the hair), making him the third person after Genkai and Yukina that fit that description today. Maybe she wasn't so short after all. He had a sort of ruthless look about him that she had seen in certain martial artists, usually those that hadn't always practiced in a dojo.
 
But it was the second guest that caught her attention. “Minamino-senpai?”
 
Kurama's eyes narrowed, and he looked slightly puzzled. “Aoyama-san.”
 
“You two know each other?” Kuwabara asked, looking from one to the other.
 
“Not really,” answered Kurama. “Aoyama-san attends the same school as I do.”
 
“That's beside the point right now,” Genkai interrupted.
 
“Of course. I believe you have something to tell us, Koenma?” Kurama and Hiei were seated. Shiki remembered her job and poured them both and herself some tea, then sat back and waited. She wasn't sure what was going on, but she had a feeling it might be important to listen.
 
******