Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Barriers ❯ Exploration ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2
 
“Lemme get this straight,” Yusuke began. “Basically, a bunch of holes are popping up in the barriers between worlds.”
 
“If you want to reduce it to something that simple, then yes,” replied Koenma.
 
“And if it keeps up, there won't be any barrier left at all,” put in Kuwabara, crossing his arms over his chest.
 
“Again, yes,” Koenma sounded worried.
 
“Oh, well, that's no big deal then,” Yusuke finished, shrugging.
 
“Say what!? Yusuke, we're talking about the very divisions between worlds here! If this continues, there won't be any! Demons will run amok! Mass panic will ensue! My father will kill me!” Koenma's voice was reaching a pitch dangerously close to hysteria.
 
“Relax, Koenma. All we gotta do is find whatever's causing this and put a stop to it, right?”
 
Koenma opened his mouth to speak, but Hiei was quicker. “Fool. You make it sound so easy. We don't even know what the cause is,” he hissed, shooting a quick glance at Kurama.
 
The latter sighed softly, and set down the cup of tea he had been gradually drinking. “Unfortunately, Hiei is correct. We do not know if the disturbance is something from this world or another. Nor can we even say if it is a natural phenomenon or a person. Any direct action at this point is useless. We need more information.”
 
Shiki looked sidelong at Genkai. Something told her that the old woman knew more than she was letting on. If that was the case, though, why wasn't she saying anything? At length, she spoke.
 
“It seems as though you boys have some work to do,” she said casually. “I would recommend going to take a look at one of these rifts.”
 
“Oh yeah?” Yusuke asked, his voice too loud for the room they were in. “And just how are we supposed to find one, grandma?”
 
“Actually,” Botan broke in, “I might be able to help with that.” She held up a small device that looked like a wristwatch and smiled mischievously. “I had your demon compass modified to sense dimensional disturbances, Yusuke.”
 
Yusuke frowned, leaning back and crossing his arms. “You coulda mentioned that before now, Botan!”
 
Botan pouted. “Well, I'm sorry, but it didn't really come up until now. Honestly! I don't know how Keiko puts up with you! Keiko's Yusuke's girlfriend, by the way,” she added for Shiki's benefit.
 
Shiki allowed herself a small smile. “I supposed as much.”
 
“If we're done discussing trivialities, perhaps we should actually do something,” sniped Hiei, standing up. “Or am I going by myself?”
 
Kurama raised an eyebrow. “Eager to get started, are we, Hiei?” A half-smile crossed his face.
 
“Hn. Better than sitting around listening to humans talk about irrelevant things.”
 
“Very well. We shall go then. Thank you very much for the tea, Aoyama-san.”
 
“Er… not at all.” She bowed as they all left the room, then collected the teacups. Genkai remained seated for a time, seemingly lost in thought, whilst Botan and Koenma carried on a separate conversation about something Shiki didn't understand.
 
Returning to the kitchen, she found Yukina busy ladling stew into bowls, humming something to herself as she worked.
 
“Oh, Yukina-san. Several of the guests just left. I don't think they'll be back before that gets cold.” When the girl's face fell, Shiki cast around for something to cheer her up. “Koenma-sama and Botan-san are still here though! And we can always make something else later. I'll help out, okay?”
 
Yukina smiled. “Okay. That sounds nice. But I think Genkai's calling for you, Shiki.”
 
Shiki paused, and sure enough, she could hear the old woman's voice. “Excellent hearing you have there. I'll be seeing you then!” She dashed out of the room and toward the voice.
 
*******
 
“First thing's first,” Genkai said, an edge of irritation in her voice. “While you are here, please remember that you are not running a ryokan. You are my student, and you are entitled to a place in those discussions you are invited to. I didn't realize asking you to make the tea would turn you into a servant.”
 
Shiki was taken aback. It wasn't like she'd gone out of her way to behave as such; it was just natural for her to treat people as customers. When she tried explaining as much to Genkai, the old woman shook her head.
 
“Surely there are senior students at the geezer's dojo? Treat them like that if you must, but this is my house, and you are my guest. I'm not the kind of person who makes someone else do everything for me.”
 
“I'm sorry.”
 
“Don't be. Just fix it. Now,” she continued, effectively ending that part of the discussion. “Your grandfather informs me that he has taught you hand-to-hand and staff fighting. Is this correct?”
 
Something in the old woman's tone seemed dismissive, and Shiki's ire stirred to hear Jii-chan belittled so. She suppressed it and smiled graciously.
 
“Yes, Genkai-sensei. Jii-chan has instructed me in many forms and styles; his dojo is mixed martial arts.” She kept her tone light, remembering that her new teacher was doing her a favor by offering free instruction.
 
“Hn,” was Genkai's only response. She sized up the practice room. It would do for now. Later, she might have to move the training outside. “I suppose your staff is wooden.”
 
It wasn't really a question, but Shiki was confused enough to respond. “Yes, it's a wooden jo staff.”
 
Without responding, Genkai made her way over to a door in the corner of the room and opened it. From what Shiki could see, it appeared to be some kind of weapons storage room. Her new teacher disappeared inside for a few minutes; just as Shiki was about to go see if she needed assistance, she reappeared, holding what looked like a metal pipe of about a foot in length.
 
“Here.” Genkai tossed the pipe, and Shiki caught it deftly. Upon closer examination, the pipe appeared to be nothing more than a smooth cylinder of metal, though it wasn't hollow as she had initially suspected.
 
“What's this?” Shiki asked curiously, turning it over in her hand.
 
“It's a staff,” came the simple reply.
 
“But it's-” Shiki was cut off before she could finish her protest.
 
“You change it into something you can actually use through the application of spirit energy. Metal is a much better conduit than wood; it's also more likely to last in a fight against a sword.”
 
“A sword? Why would I be fighting someone with a sword? And what's spirit energy?” The questions were out of Shiki's mouth before she could consider how ignorant they made her seem.
 
Genkai sighed. The girl really was uninitiated. She wondered why the old man hadn't bothered to teach her at least this much. “Spirit energy is what gives you the ability to see demons. It is as much a part of you as the energy that keeps your heart beating. It also has numerous other applications, such as the one I am going to teach you.” The other question she left unanswered, though Shiki was too caught up in the flow of new information to notice.
 
“First thing's first,” Genkai continued. “You have to learn how to focus that energy. Now, concentrate.”
 
*******
 
“Well, this is new,” remarked Yusuke.
 
Kurama nodded and leaned in closer to inspect the anomaly. It only appeared odd when viewed from an angle straight on. Otherwise, it seemed like a mere shimmer in the air, and from the side it wasn't visible at all. When looked at properly, though, it was clearly a window to the Demon World. He could see a forest through it, one that clearly housed no birds or deer.
 
He straightened, stepping back. “I wonder what's causing them,” he mused aloud. He noticed Hiei frown, and the fire apparition stepped forward, reaching out to touch the portal. His arm, rather than going through to the other side, was stopped by something unseen. His eyebrows furrowed in concentration. He drew his sword and attempted to slash at it, but the blade behaved no differently than if he had moved it through ordinary air, and the window was unaffected.
 
A thought occurred to Kurama. “Kuwabara, please try your dimension sword.”
 
“Huh?”
 
“Perhaps if you cut it, it will be disrupted.”
 
“How do you figure that?” The high-schooler protested.
 
Yusuke looked sidelong at Kurama. He had that look on his face again, the one that meant he was really close to figuring something out, but not quite there yet. “Just do it, moron,” he told his friend.
 
“Jeez, Urameshi, you don't gotta be such a jerk about it. Fine.” Kuwabara focused, forming the dimension sword in his mind before allowing it to take shape in his hand. Gripping it tightly, he stabbed at the center of the window. He encountered some resistance, but pushed against it; his effort was rewarded when he felt something give. The edges of the window wavered, and Kuwabara withdrew his blade just as it closed off completely.
 
“Hmm.” Kurama appeared to have solved whatever mystery had been eluding him, but he didn't say anything further. Yusuke trusted him enough not to ask questions yet, and so the four of them turned back toward Genkai's temple.
 
 
Kiku's corner!
 
So, thanks first off to my beta, Corri 18, for reminding me that semicolons are to be used sparingly. Sometimes I forget because I love them so much. ^.^;
 
Also, thanks to the readers. There aren't many of you yet, but to those out there, you rock!
 
That's all for now. Next chapter will be out within the next few days, I hope.
 
~Kiku~