Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Barriers ❯ Revelation ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Tale of Kurogami
 
Eons ago, when the world was still young, long before the memory of anyone who lives today, there existed two relics of incredible power. They were two stones, one white and one black. It was said that the gods themselves had cut them from a blazing star and the blackest night sky. They were created to give living creatures the ability to become better, stronger versions of themselves.
 
The first was called the Akuma Stone. Pitch-black and radiating only shadow, it was a device of the darkness in people's souls. Not all darkness is evil, but one must always be careful. The ambitious, the crafty, and yes, the greedy and selfish all made use of this stone to increase their might, though only one can benefit at a time..
 
The second was called the Tenshi Stone. Because the universe exists in balance, where there is darkness, there must also be light. The Tenshi stone was used to help others become more than they had been, and required a heart bent on love and protection to use. The wielder may not use it on themselves, but may split its benefits among as many as they wish.
 
They were made this way in an attempt to keep them from being misused, but the makers surely underestimated the evil in some hearts. For one day, a demon named Kurogami heard of the stones and decided to steal them for himself. Once both were in his power, he discovered that no person may control both. Faced with a choice, he chose the Akuma Stone, and gave the other to his foremost advisor, Yuki. He then made to conquer the world.
 
But power has unpredictable effects on people. Lady Yuki saw the lord and friend she loved transformed into something she could not stand. Kurogami was no longer himself. The darkness had corrupted his soul. So Yuki, too, made a choice. She used the power of the Tenshi stone to raise an army of her own, and with it, sought to conquer Kurogami.
 
When he learned of the betrayal, Kurogami grew enraged. He gave his soul over to the darkness entirely, and allowed it to consume him. When Yuki and her army reached his throne room, she saw him thus, and ran towards him, thinking only to save him. His sword pierced her heart even as she snatched the stone away from him. Her gem neutralized its power, and he returned to himself to find his lifelong friend dead.
 
He mourned her for three years before succumbing to death himself. The Akuma Stone had consumed too much of his soul, and he was not allowed to pass through Spirit World. Instead, what remains of him is sealed somewhere in the deepest recesses of Demon World, waiting.
 
****
 
She is surrounded by darkness, unable to see even her hand in front of her nose. That is, if the hand is even there at all. She tries to touch her face, just to be sure, but finds that nothing happens. There is no sensation, no response to the desire to move. She is empty, hollow. Something that once was there is gone, and it left nothing behind. Strange that she had never noticed its presence. One of those things that is significant only when absent, then. Someone… someone once told her that life was like that. Or perhaps not.
 
The realization that something is missing makes her cold, somehow. Or at least, she would have shivered if she had known sensation. Instead, the chill creeps over her consciousness. The worst part is that she isn't even sure what it is that lacks. Perhaps it doesn't matter. Or perhaps… perhaps it is the only thing that matters.
 
The thought panics her lonely mind, and she rages against the emptiness. Give it back! Without fists to bang or a voice to yell with, the thought fades, leaving only the same empty feeling as before.
 
Why do you want it back?
 
She isn't sure where the thought came from, only that it is somehow hers, and also someone else's. Because… I feel empty without it.”
 
Then find something else to fill yourself with. Half of what you were remains. Build upon that, and make yourself into what you are truly supposed to be. Then, when all falls out from underneath you, you will be ready to stand on your own.
 
****
 
Shiki woke with a start, sitting bolt upright on her futon. Her dream had been startling, that was certain. But somehow, she couldn't remember it at all. Strange. She swiftly put it out of her mind as more urgent thoughts rose to the surface. I passed out and then… She rose from her bed and looked around. She was in her room in Genkai's residence, still wearing her uniform. But how…?
 
Her musings were interrupted as Kurama entered the room, holding a small tray with an onigiri and some tea. “I thought you might be about to wake. Here, Yukina made this for you. She thought you might be hungry.”
 
Shiki realized she was starving and opened her mouth to say as much, but found that she couldn't muster much more than a croak. She closed her mouth and nodded instead, bowing a thanks she could not speak.
 
Three hastily-consumed rice balls and two cups of hot tea with honey later, she found her hunger had subsided and her voice had returned. She looked at Kurama, who had been watching her eat with a degree of amusement. His face sobered.
 
“What happened?”
 
He sighed. “We were attacked, quite simply. Taken by surprise. The one in charge
held us immobile while the other tried to pry information from the weakest person in the room. You know most of the rest of it. After the demon attacked you, Hiei managed to cut the bonds holding us in place.” He paused, and then continued. “They made a tactical retreat. I can only assume that whatever they took from you was the goal anyway, so there was no need for them to stay.”
 
Shiki looked down at the teacup in her hands. “That thing they took… what was it?”
 
Kurama's brows furrowed. “You mean you do not know?” When she just looked at him with a blank expression, he frowned slightly. “No, I suppose not. I have a feeling we are all going to find out shortly, however. Your grandfather is here, and he wishes to speak with you when you have recovered. So rest a bit more, and then we will see what he has to say.” He made as if to leave the room.
 
She shook her head slowly. “No need. I'm fine now. And I think finding out what's happening is a bit more important than a few hours' sleep.”
 
Kurama doubted that she was fully recovered, but kept his face impassive as she stood on wobbly legs and headed to the central room. Sighing inwardly, he followed after her. For someone so polite, she was really was quite stubborn.
 
*****
 
Hiei watched the two of them enter the room. Finally. He noticed that the girl seemed a bit unsteady on her feet. He shot a look at Kurama, who gave the tiniest resigned shrug.
 
“Is everyone here?” asked the old woman.
 
“Yeah, grandma, we're here. You gonna tell us what the Hell's going on now?” Yusuke couldn't have masked his impatience even if he had wanted to. For once, Hiei sympathized. He did not enjoy being attacked for no discernable reason. At least not when he couldn't fight back. If the girl hadn't loosened the puppeteer's hold… he didn't relish finishing the thought. She was looking at the old man sitting next to Genkai. Right. Wasn't he related? Whatever. He glanced around at the others. The idiot was twitching, or something, and Koenma's face peered out from that briefcase thing the ferry woman always carried around.
 
Interrupting his thoughts, the old man spoke. “I am Takahashi Shin'ichi. It is good to meet you all, though perhaps the circumstances are less than ideal.” He spoke lightly, cracking a smile. Hiei's eyes narrowed. Now was hardly the time. But then he noticed the girl relax, and understood.
 
The old man appeared to sober somewhat, and took to fingering his goatee thoughtfully without speaking. Finally, his voice could be heard again. “I'm not really sure how to go about this. How to tell you what you need to know.”
 
“Perhaps you should start at the beginning,” suggested Kurama quietly.
 
The old man looked at him for a few seconds, seeming to study him closely, then nodded slowly. “I suppose the beginning's as good a place as any.” He folded his arms in front of his chest and tilted his head towards the ceiling, as though trying to remember something.
 
“There are many varieties of apparition. All of them possess their own unique strengths and weaknesses. Fire apparitions are excellent in combat, ice apparitions are skilled in the healing arts. Water apparitions are different again. I suppose it is with them that it begins.
 
Water apparitions are unique in that their strength lies in defense. As a species, they are not very aggressive, but still there are few who would dare attack their settlements. Individuals are also coveted as bodyguards on the demon slave markets.” He paused, and a something inscrutable passed across his face before he continued.
 
“Essentially, if you want something protected, there are few better to ask than a water apparition, though you'll have a beast of a time trying to find one.”
 
“The man giving the orders… he was one of these water apparitions, was he not?” Typical Kurama, always three steps ahead. Hiei studied the Kurama's face carefully, but as usual, it was largely expressionless. If the two hadn't known each other for as long as they had, he may have missed the troubled glint in the fox's eyes. Hiei frowned slightly. Kurama was putting things together, and not liking the results.
 
“From what Genkai told me, yes. Water apparitions generally have that sort of appearance. But this is where the story diverges, and intersects with another, older tale.” He looked at Kurama directly. “Perhaps you have heard of Kurogami?”
 
It was Hiei who responded. “Kurogami? Don't lie to us, old man. Kurogami is a tale to scare demon children and spineless fools.”
 
Takahashi turned slightly to face Hiei, and something in his expression gave the fire apparition pause. “I used to think the same. I've studied demon lore for a number of years, and nothing had given me cause to believe the tales.”
 
“Uh… hello? Someone wanna fill me in here?” Yusuke sounded cross; Kuwabara just nodded empathetically, looking confused.
 
“Kurogami is an ancient demon lord, supposedly the strongest that ever lived. He was said to possess the power of gods in the form of two magic gems, and it was this same power that was his undoing,” Botan chirped informatively.
 
“There's a bit more to it than that, but your friend is essentially correct,” continued Takahashi. “As I said, I never believed it either. Not until I met Mizuki.”
 
This seemed to stir the girl. She became suddenly alert, and looked up suddenly from where she had been placidly gazing at her hands.
 
“My wife, Mizuki, also knew a great deal about demon lore and legend. We met in university, and it was quite by accident that we discovered this about each other. Neither of us ever worked for Spirit World's government as such-” he nodded towards the screen where Koenma was watching silently. “-but we did deal with the occasional disturbance in our area. I was dealing with a particularly nasty B-class when she saved my life. Naturally, when we discovered that we were both spiritually aware, we began to work together.”
 
Takahashi paused, apparently lost in old memories. The others gave him some time before Genkai could be heard clearing her throat.
 
“You're not done yet, old man.”
 
His eyes snapped back into focus, and he sighed heavily. “No, I suppose not. Well, over the years, I learned a great deal about Mizuki. Some of it was… hard to digest. What matters most, though, is that the stories of Kurogami are at least partially true.”
 
Botan spoke up. “That still doesn't explain anything that happened here.”
 
Takahashi shook his head slowly, still staring at the floor. “After the downfall of Kurogami, the Stones were given to the water apparitions. For protection. Occasionally, someone would discover the truth of Kurogami's tale and come seeking them. The method used to protect the stones was harsh, but deemed necessary. The stones were kept together at all times, sealed within the heart of a water apparition child. This kept them hidden perfectly, but it also greatly reduced the child's spirit energy. Every generation, a new guardian was chosen. But even with all that… they were bound to fail eventually. The village was attacked by a particularly strong group of demons about three hundred years ago. The elders decided to split the tribe, and sent the child with the stones to a different world. Mizuki… Mizuki was that child. And so the stones were passed to her half human daughter, and her granddaughter after that.”
 
“Then…” Botan trailed off, eyes wide. Everyone was looking at Shiki, whose face had become a mask of passivity. Hiei noticed that something in her eyes had gone hard, and the set of her jaw was firm.
 
“I see,” she said simply. Shiki bowed to her grandfather, then continued. “I must go clear my thoughts. Farewell, Ojii-sama, Genkai-sensei.” She stood, knuckles white on her staff, and exited gracefully.
 
“She's taking it pretty well,” remarked Kuwabara, confused. “I think I'd be really ticked right about now.”
 
The old man swallowed hard, and shook his head. “My granddaughter's anger is not like yours, then. If she burns, it is only because the ice has grown too cold.”
 
Kuwabara looked even more confused, but Hiei understood. The corners of his mouth twitched slightly. This was getting interesting.
 
***************************************************************** *******
 
Kiku's Corner:
 
So, oh my goodness, I am SO sorry. It has taken me WAY too long to get this updated. It isn't always easy when you have college to deal with, plus another fanfic and a really busy beta. Oddly enough, however, this has led me to the rather serendipitous fortune of now having two betas, which will make this twice as good, according to my voodoo math. So, please enjoy, and review if it pleases you.
 
Thanks to Corri and Beth both, for without them, I would be lost in a sea of semicolons and archaic grammatical structures.
 
Thanks also to Akpixie, Yume ninja, and LMR, for their reviews of the last chapter. I appreciate the support, and hope they have not abandoned me yet.
 
~Kiku~