Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Before there were Band-aides ❯ Prologue ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Renard: Hey…this is my first story…so…ya

 

Yusuke: *clapping slowly* Good for you.

 

Renard: Hey, don't go and get snappy with me.

 

Yusuke: *walks off*

Renard: Well, I know I should be worried about that…but for now I'm not. So, I

don't own Yu Yu Hakusho…and… onward read!

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

There was a time, not too long ago, where death loomed over your door step. This was a time when bleeding to death took nothing more then a paper cut, before medical knowledge had caught up to human needs. In this time, when you decided your time had come, you could go and no one could stop you, and you could stain whatever you wish to leave a memory for those who betrayed you. Often times, I had wished I lived back then. When life was simpler, and women were nothing more then trophies that sat in the living room cross stitching.

 

Unfortunately, twice I had been caught. It seemed that there was no defeating medical science…ever again. It all started that night when he magically appeared in my kitchen, battle scarred and exhausted. He came just in time to see me bent over the sink, pale and almost lifeless. The steam from the hot water was keeping my face moist, willing my eyes closed as I struggled with consciousness. His voice was enough to pull me from the void of death.

 

"Excuse me." He said. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see him standing up from my kitchen floor. His red hair seemed to be teasing me as I stared deeper into the sink, where my watered down blood was sliding down the drain. I felt his eyes fall onto me, feeling the criticizing burn of his large green eyes as they followed my arms to the sink's edge.

 

I wanted to speak, but I could barely hold myself up, much less confront the strange man who now stood in my kitchen. I took a shallow breathe. He probably noticed that I was practically dead, and since I didn't know him, what would happen to me in his presence was really up for grabs. Not that it really mattered, I wasn't going to be around to find out anyway.

 

If only he had done something besides save my life.

 

I woke up not much later. The sky was still the same color, and my house still made that lifeless buzzing noise that filled my lonely nights. I had never felt like this. My head spun, and I couldn't see straight. All of that aside, I felt pretty damn good considering what had happened. Well, if you don't count the blinding pain that ran through my wrists, or the way my eyes burned in the light.

 

I wasn't supposed to be here. I just wasn't.

 

I remembered the red hair, the tall muscular figure that had stood in my kitchen. What had happened to him? I reopened my eyes, and found two more staring back at me. My heart leapt, but I was too drained to flinch. I think he knew that I was startled, because he started speaking. He didn't really talk about anything important. He seemed to ramble in nonsensical strings. I realized that this pattern of babbling was made to keep me relaxed.

 

Maybe something in me knew he wasn't going to harm me. Even from the start. I guess the same thing in me that knew he wasn't out to get me, wanted him to.

I waited and waited, and some time after, I was able to actually carry on a conversation with him. Not that what we talked about was very interesting, but it seemed to pass the time.

 

"So…what the hell were you doing in my kitchen?" I asked, eyeing a small bruise on his face.

 

"It's…hard to explain." He said rather shyly, rubbing the back of his neck.

 

"Whats so hard to explain? Where you like, in a street fight or something?" I asked rather bluntly, sinking into my pillow.

 

"Something similar." He answered, a faint smile crawling over his lips.

 

"Whatever pretty boy." I muttered with a smile, my eyes falling onto the white bandages around my wrists, and the single line of crimson on each one.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Renard: Sorry that was soooooo bad! Hopefully the other chapters will be better and a bit more interesting. But…you know.

 

Kurama: Please review.

 

Renard: `RAMA! *huggles* Where did you come from?

 

Kurama: *blinks and points to readers*

Renard: O ya *runs away from readers with Kurama*