Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Blood Red Marker ❯ Chapter 4: Identity ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ok, here I am with the next chapter.

And Hiei doesn't need to save the girl, she is quite capable herself.

Chapter 4- Identity

The girl stood stock still as she watched the Lord make his way down the hall. Ever since she had killed the demon and the human, she had adopted a cold and silent resilience from her previous self. Her only thoughts were survival, and her only instinct kill. The thought that his was a dangerous combination tried to push its way into her attention, yet it failed miserably.

The Lord now stood but a few feet from the girl, barely visible in the darkness. The Lord was smiling broadly. "Now, my dear, that wasn't hard for you wasn't it?" The girl answered with a low growl. "No need to become angry, I helped you, didn't I? I helped you discover your purpose and your key to happiness." He stated matter-of-factly.

The girl growled again. But I'm not happy, bastard. Her thoughts were still angry. The lord demon, though, took no notice and continued to talk. "Well, are you ready to discover your identity, also?" He looked questionly at the girl. The girl only stared back, refusing to let the eagerness show on her face.

"Hmm. Yes, I thought so. Follow me, then." The Lord turned around, then went striding down the hall to where the door to the outside was. The girl's eyes became rounder for a fraction of a second, then settled back to their stoic state. She cautiously followed the Lord.

The Lord stood in front of the door, his head turned and waiting for the girl. The girl stopped a good five feet away. Still smiling, the Lord absently rubbed the door handle with his hand. The door, that had refused her very touch by sapping her energy, simply dissolved into thin air. The Lord walked through.

The girl stood there in shock for a while. It was outside. The wind, the rain, the sun, the moon would all soon be hers to behold! I cant believe it. Fresh air, finally! I just hope that it all wasn't just a lie…From where she stood, she could see forests rising up a hill. There was a wind, and clouds that covered the sky. With anticipation, the girl stepped through the door. Her smile faded. The forest was not a happy, peaceful place like she had once read in the library. The wind was foul, warm, and stank of rotting flesh. The clouds were dark and foreboding, blocking out the sky as far as her eye could reach. But, where is the sun…. Her thoughts turned to dismay, then flamed into anger. This, this is what I have strived for all my damned life? This show of foul earth? This is what I have been tortured over, beat over, trained for? I refuse… The girl's mind was racing.

"Yes, not what you expected is it?" The Lord's words interrupted her thoughts. "But this is the world. True as it is, you would have been better stuck in the house."

Now the girl was compelled to respond. "Stuck where there is no life at all save for your scrawny hide? Where I would whither away without knowing the truth? Hn, I prefer the truth to blissful ignorance." The girl's voice had a hard edge.

The Lord chuckled quietly to himself. "Yes, you are one of a kind. You know, you aren't the first to experience this sort of…training. But you are indeed the longest to last."

The girl only stared at the Lord. "But now, I will do as I said." With these words, he clapped his hands together twice, and immediately two lower-class demons came scuttling out from the dissipated door. Between them they were carrying a large full-length mirror. They set it before the Lord, so that he was looking at himself in it. "This, my dear, will show you your identity." The Lord turned the mirror toward the girl.

With a motionless face, the girl gazed on her image for the first time. A young woman stared back at her, lithe and muscular yet small and agile. She was scrawny, and had very pale skin due to the lack of sun. The girl looked at the image from the feet up. She was wearing a pair of dark, baggy brown training pants that were topped with a sash of the same color. The girl was wearing a baggy white shirt that cut off at the upper arms.

The girl paused a moment before looking at the face, afraid of what she would see. What if I dislike it… A this thought she narrowed her eyes in anger at her weakness, then looked straight into her own face. The girl had dirty, sand-blonde hair that cut off at her shoulders in layers. The face was a small rounded one, with a nose that was perhaps a little on the large size along with the mouth. The eyes, though, stopped the girl's breath. Her eyes were pitch black, as black as the house she had lived in all her life. They ad no pupils and no whites, or everything was colored black.

"My own touch, my dear, to be sure that you never forget where you came from." The Lord had walked around behind the girl, so that he was another reflection behind hers. "I have heard that you found a purpose. Do tell me."

The Lord inched closer to the girl, picking up some of her hair and running it through his hands. Wrenching her eyes away from her image, she looked to the ground. Closing her eyes, she felt that grey fire yet again leap inside of her. "My purpose is to kill those who would harm me, kill me."

"Yes, yes, but you are wrong. There is something else." The Lord brought a handful of her hair to his face, and smelled it. He then brought his face up behind hers. "You are to kill for me."

The girl closed her eyes and smiled. No. What he says is wrong. I will kill those who would harm me. For me. The Lord took this action for consent.

"Furthermore, you kill on my command. Who I tell you to, when I tell you to and so on. But now, I shall give you more for your cooperation." He suddenly appeared in front of her face, close enough to be a lover. "I shall give you a name." He stepped back.

The girl's black eyes had opened, and glared straight ahead. She was determined not to clue the demon on her emotions. Yet a name would be nice..

The demon stood back a ways and looked over her. "It is hard for me to remember what it was that your mother was named, yet your father was named Zannthys. This I know for he was the best of assassins."

The girl faltered at the mention of her parents. She had never heard mention of them before. But still she remained silent.

"Zann. Therefore, you shall be Zann."

The girl started to laugh. The demon stood back a ways and looked over her. "It is hard for me to remember what it was that your mother was named, yet your father was named Zannthys. This I know for he was the best of assassins."

The girl faltered at the mention of her parents. She had never heard mention of them before. But still she remained silent.

"Zann. Therefore, you shall be Zann."

Zann started to laugh. Yes, yes! This is my final moment. I am to kill those who would do me harm…

The Lord was confused at her reaction. "Well, Zann, is it so funny?"

"No, you horned bastard." The girl was still giggling. "I am to kill all who would do me pain. You are a fool, you left me without sun for to long. My heart, and soul, have indeed become covered in shadows."

Zann reached for her katanas. "Now that I have a name, an identity, I can start filling out my purpose in life." Her blades were out now. She closed her eyes for a moment, grasping hold of that grey flame and willing it to give power to her swords. When she opened her eyes, her swords were once again covered in the grey and black flame. "And, I shall start with you, Lord."