Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Captured by a Rose ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4

 

To Magia: This fic is a modification of the anime since it begins when Yusuke and Kurama first meet, continuing on through the series.

To everyone: Thank you for your support and reviews!

 

"Kurama-kun!" I cried from the cafe, hobbling over on my walking stick into the street to greet him. "It's great to see you!" His very presence brightened my spirits like the sun shinning on a dark and cloudy day.

 

The kitsune chuckled heartily. "I see you're up and about when you should be resting, Yusuke."

 

"See!?" muttered Botan, rubbing it in. "He NEVER listens at all!"

 

"That's enough, Botan!" I grumbled irritably.

 

Botan pulled me aside. "I have other concerns, Yusuke…" she whispered. "How can you trust Shuichi-kun, I mean, Kurama, when you just met him? His friend Gouki tried to kill you!"

 

"I know, Botan," I acknowledged. "But my heart tells me to trust him. He protected me from Gouki, then he brought me home, saving my life."

 

She sighed. "You are right, Yusuke, but still, be careful."

 

"Of course," I replied. "I'll ask Kurama about the Forlorn Hope, and the Orb of Baast."

 

Botan nodded. "Alright, I'll return to the spirit world and see what I can gather about the sword of darkness and its thief." Saying that, Botan left leaving Kurama and I alone.

 

"Yusuke, you are still hurt," said Kurama, sliding an arm under my shoulders to support me. "I know of a nice park nearby, where we can rest.

 

With Kurama's support, the trip to the park was swift, almost painless. Every time I lost my balance, even slightly, Kurama's grasp tightened, and he held me closer. I truly felt from the bottom of my heart that he cared about me.

 

At the park life abounded everywhere. Children laughed and played by the playground. Some built sandcastles, while others chased each other down the slides, or tested their skills on monkey bars. A bike path snaked around the playground, winding back into a deeply wooded area that appeared peaceful and secluded.

 

In that cove we found no people. Up in a branch of a pine tree there, a male songbird serenaded a female in an elaborate song of courtship. She crooned back, wooed by his call. A rival male interrupted and a chase between the three ensued.

 

"Fastening, aren't they?" observed Kurama watchfully. He sat down.

 

"Yeah, they are." I sat down besides him on an old, slightly rotted bench, lined with soft lichen. I leaned back gazing at the sky above where sunlight danced in through a maze of twining branches.

 

"While I'm here, I can escape the troubles of the world," said Kurama wistfully, gazing up into the same vast expanse of sky.

 

I said nothing, just listened thoughtfully. He continued: "Yet when I leave, the troubles return. I wish I could run away from them…forever, Yusuke…" Kurama drifted into thought, pondering deeply about recent events in his life. A particularly painful one surfaced as sadness in his expression. Tears welled in his beautiful, green eyes and he could no longer mask the pain he once held inside.

 

"Kurama!" I cried. He threw himself violently into my chest tortured by his pain. I wrapped my arms around him to support him in the same way he supported me, on our walk to the park.

 

"It's my mother, my mother, Yusuke," sobbed Kurama bitterly. "She's…dying…"

 

To be continued…