Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Captured by a Rose ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 5

 

His mother is dying. That was the source of the anguish deep in his soul. If only I could help him.

 

"I'm so sorry, Kurama-kun," I whispered, holding him tightly.

 

"It's okay," he sniffled, wiping away tears from his face. "Besides, you've done what a good friend would do. You're here for me, and that's all I can ask for."

 

"Really?" I said. "I know the pain death can cause. It hurts, doesn't it?"

 

Kurama nodded somberly. "That's why joined Hiei and Gouki in stealing the three artifacts of darkness. The artifact I carry, Forlorn Hope, has the power to grant its holder its any wish, even saving their loved ones from death. When I moon is full, I will use it to save Mother's life, then my pain will be no more."

 

The kitsune closed his eyes, breathing deeply. "Yusuke, what is it like to die?"

 

I sighed, thinking back to the time I died. "Painful, to see those around you suffer. Why do you ask, Kurama-kun?

 

"When Forlorn Hope grants a wish, it requires one thing in return, the life of its user, that's why," Kurama responded, his spirits sunken in anguish.

 

I grabbed the collar of Kurama's uniform. "What're saying, Kurama!?" I yelled. "That you're going to sacrifice your life for your mother's!?"

 

"Even if I am, you can't stop me, Yusuke!" cried Kurama back, yanking my arm from his collar. He sprang to his feet, and ran off.

 

"Kurama…" I uttered under my breath.

 

With Kurama gone the songbirds no longer sang. The sunlight no longer danced through the branches. Above in the expanse of sky, dark, gray storm clouds rolled in carried by the howling wind. It poured tears of rain.

 

* * *

 

Soaked, miserable and cold, I straggled home alone. In my apartment, I kicked off my shoes, and changed into my pajamas. I crept into my bed, shifted around until I felt comfortable, lying on my side. I dozed off to the tapping of rain that fell in a steady, lonely rhythm.

 

In my dream, I soared in the sky above Kurama's house. I descended downward to his house below. I floated outside his window, peering in through the rain-dripped glass. Inside the kitsune sat forlornly at his desk, writing in his diary. I drifted into his room and read what he wrote.

 

Dear diary,

 

When my gaze first met his in that forest clearing, I knew he cared about me. I saved him when Gouki attacked. I carried him home to safety. I bared my soul to him in the park. I told him Mother was dying. I told him I planned to sacrifice my life in exchange for hers. He got angry because he cared. He values my life when I don't. Why does he feel this way? Does he…love me? Even if he does, I'm not worthy. I hurt his feelings. Like Mother, he'll be better off without me.

 

* * *

 

"Kurama!" I cried, waking up in bed.

 

"Yusuke, are you all right?" asked Botan, by my bedside.

 

"Yeah, I will be, Botan," I said lying. I slipped out of bed, straightening the covers.

 

"Something's bothering you, Yusuke," remarked Botan, seeing through my guise.

 

"It's Kurama," I sighed. The very thought of Kurama writing in his diary, `He'll be better off without me,' struck a pang in my heart. "Kurama, you baka!" I yelled, clenching my fists tightly. "You're a selfish bastard, thinking only about your feelings! What about my feelings, my pain!?" I collapsed onto the floor, wailing bitterly.

 

Botan bent over, holding me closer "Oh Yusuke, what happened?" cried Botan frantically.

 

I explained to Botan about Kurama's mother and what I saw in my dream.

 

"That's terrible," she exclaimed. "But we've got three days until the moon is full, when Kurama can utilize Forlorn Hope's powers. Time is on our side. I'm sure we'll be able to stop him before then," she reassured me.

 

"You're right, Botan," I agreed, collecting myself at last.

 

To be continued…