Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Captured by a Rose ❯ Chapter 8 ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 8

 

Author's note: I revised this chapter. I thought the previous one with Hiei's entry was rather choppy, cutting up the flow of the story. Please let me know what you think of this revision. Thank you.

 

 

I lay down on the cold cement of the hospital roof with Kurama.

 

You're weak. I'll give you some of my spirit energy," said Kurama thoughtfully.

 

He pressed his lips to mine. The touch of his warm flesh to mine drew us closer. He breathed his spirit energy into me, revitalizing me in the same way Keiko did when she resuscitated me a week ago. With the kitsune's energy refreshing my body, all feelings of fatigue vanished.

 

"How do you feel, Yusuke-kun?" he questioned.

 

I smiled. "Better."

 

"By the way, thank you for saving my life…and my mother's. Neither of us would be alive if it wasn't for you. How can I thank you?" said Kurama gratefully.

 

I winked. "Don't worry about it, Kurama-kun. Besides, I'd do anything, especially for a friend like you."

 

Kurama returned my smile. "Thanks."

 

When we arrived at his mother's unit on forth floor, the doctors couldn't believe the change. Her heartbeat returned to normal, indicated by the steady, monotonous beat of the monitor. Her blood pressure stabilized, her breathing eased.

 

"She's stabilized!" cried one of the doctors. "She'll be alright!"

 

Soon the doctors left her unit to attend to other incoming patients. Kurama sat besides her, clasping her hand in his.

 

"Mother, I thought you were the only one who loved me. Now I know, there are others, who love me too," Kurama said, releasing his mother's hand.

 

He sank back into the chair beside me, falling asleep with his head on my shoulder. I too slept. In my dream, I floated freely in the room above my body. I sensed the presence of other spirits nearby. I flew out in the hall to see what was there.

 

In another unit, a spirit messenger like Botan loomed by the bed of a dying woman. The aged body inhaled its last breath, then stiffened growing cold and still. A luminescent figure emerged from it, embraced by the messenger.

I

"Her soul is being escorted to the Spirit World," hummed a rich, ethereal voice around me.

 

"Botan?" I called out.

 

She appeared to me her exquisite, pink kimono, hovering on her broomstick. "That's what happens when the living cross over. Remember, when we first met, Yusuke?"

 

"Yeah, and I thought you were the grim reaper," I chuckled softly, gliding over to her. "Oh, did I tell you, I found two of the artifacts, the Forlorn Hope and the Orb of Baast."

 

Botan rejoiced. "Yusuke, that's great! But I have some bad news. The last thief, Hiei, who stole the sword of darkness has…vanished."

 

"What!?" I exclaimed. "What'd we do? We only got four more days!"

 

"I'll go look for him. You take care of Kurama, okay?" said Botan, taking off.

 

"Yusuke-kun, where are you?" echoed Kurama from inside his mother's room.

 

"I'm here," I answered, flying back in. The kitsune also dreamt now, since we meet in the same dream now.

 

"Do you see her?" Kurama glanced over at his mother.

 

"Yes. She's dreaming," I replied.

 

As I said that her dream body rose up from her physical body in a majestic flash of light. This must have been the first time she experienced her dream consciously, for she gazed about in surprise.

 

"Have…I died and gone to heaven?" her thoughts resonated silently.

 

"Mother!" cried Kurama, gliding closer. "You're dreaming."

 

He startled her. "Dreaming?" she asked sweetly. "You…you're an angel sent by Kami-sama. I've heard stories where people are about to die and angels come with a message from Kami-sama, who says it's not their time. Have you come to tell me that, my dear angel?"

 

Kurama contemplated deeply. "This must be Mother's way of understanding what happened," he thought. "So I'll play the role of her angel."

"Yes, I've come for you Shiori-san, with that message," the kitsune announced gently. His great love for her manifested as an aura of pink light radiating from his heart center. "I also want to tell you how much you mean to your dear son."

 

"My Shuichi-kun?" Shiori wondered.

 

"That's right," said Kurama, clasping her hands in his. "You opened his heart, teaching him how to love. And for that he'll always thank you."

 

"Oh, dear angel," wept Shiori, shedding tears of light. "I am so happy for him! Thank you for sharing that with me."

 

"Your welcome, beloved. Kami-sama blesses you and wishes for your happiness." As Kurama said that he waved goodbye to his mother. She returned to her body. Her dream ended. Dawn finally broke in the darkened sky, spilling out shades of violent, orange, pink and red in misty fingers of light.

 

 

When Kurama's mother woke up, a healthy pink replaced her old, deathly pallor. She looked ten years younger bursting with life and vitality.

 

"Doctor, I'd like to check out. I've never felt so invigorated!" she exclaimed cheerfully.

 

"Well, Minamono-san, you seem perfectly well so I have no objections. The nurses will check your vital signs, then you are free to go," he observed.

 

 

Outside of Nakayama general hospital Shiori smelled fresh flowers, breathed in the morning air, and bathed in the warm sun for the first time in months.

 

"I've never seen her so happy," remarked Kurama joyfully. "And it's all because of you, Yusuke-kun."

 

"Me, Kurama-kun?" I said. "What did I do?"

 

"Now's not the time to be modest," the kitsune teased. "I wouldn't be alive if it wasn't for you. You saved my life, and Mother's. For that, I'll always be grateful." Kurama grinned playfully.

 

"What?" I muttered.

 

"I'd like to thank you, with this." Kurama closed his eyes wrapping one arm around my waist, the other sliding behind my neck. He pulled me so cloth I felt his breath on my lips. "Close your eyes." His soft lips caressed mine, landing a tender kiss.

 

To be continued…

Author's Note: I finished finally! That ends the saga with Kurama's mother. I feel this revision wraps it up. So the next saga begins in a new chapter of Kurama and Yusuke's love…