Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Captured by a Rose ❯ Chapter 7 ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 7

 

"I believe you were looking for this, Yusuke," said Kurama softly. He held out a green crystal orb, a deep green like the color of rich malachite. Its many geometric facets reflected a multitude of light, especially the moon's silvery light.

 

"The Orb of Baast…" I murmured, awestruck by its splendor.

 

"After knocking out Gouki, I found it on the ground beside him. Here, take it." Kurama offered it.

 

I took it and smiled. "Thank you, Kurama…"

 

He smiled back in a shared moment of intimacy.

 

"Shuichi-kun! Shuichi!" A desperate scream pierced the air. A doctor ran to Kurama, breathing so heavily he could scarcely speak. "It's your mother!"

 

"Mother!?" gasped Kurama. "What happened?"

 

"I fear her condition has destabilized," reported the doctor regretfully. "She might not make it through the night."

 

"WHAT!?" Kurama couldn't believe his ears. His world fell apart, he struggled to piece it back together, and now it fell apart again. "MOTHER!!" he screamed, shattering the placid silence of the night.

 

The doctor sighed knowing he could do nothing to ease Kurama's suffering. He left to check up on Kurama's mother.

 

Kurama shook me hard. "Why do things like this happen, Yusuke? WHY?"

 

It's like asking, why does suffering happen?

 

"Kurama-kun, I…I don't know…" I said grimly.

 

The kitsune turned from me, now taking out something else. In his hands was a small, round mirror, its surface crystal clear. It was the Forlorn Hope!

 

"Yusuke…" he began. "You've been a great friend, the greatest friend I could ever have."

 

"Kurama!" I yelled. "What are you saying!?"

 

"I'm saying…" Kurama paused. "Thank you for…for everything. Goodbye, Yusuke-kun." He closed his eyes, praying to the Forlorn Hope. "Oh spirit who dwells in this cursed mirror, come forth and grant me the wish of my heart."

 

A loud, resonant voice reverberated out from the depths of time and space. "Is the happiness and life of this woman the desire of your heart?" it asked, causing the image of Kurama's mother to appear in the mirror.

 

"Yes, her happiness is all I desire, from the bottom of my heart. She loved me, she raised me care during my 15 years of life. Yet all I have done in return is deceive her, by wanting to run away. Now, the least I can do is to give my life to save hers," whispered Kurama sorrowfully. The lovely youth glimpsed into the mirror one last time, to behold the image of the mother he loved so dearly.

 

"Very well," returned the voice. "I grant you your wish by taking your life to save hers."

 

"KURAMA!!" I cried, barely able to hear the sound of my own voice drowned out by a hiss that split the air.

 

The noise came from a white beam of light that fell onto the hospital roof. It surrounded Kurama and me in a blinding column of light! In the middle of the column the mirror sparked, then lightning crackled and emanated from it. The lightning bound Kurama sucking out his very life force.

 

I reached out to grab it, only to have the lightning jerk me down as well. "Mirror!" I roared. "Don't take his life! Take mine instead!"

 

Kurama seized me. "Baka Yusuke!" he screamed. "Why do you do this!?"

 

"No mother should suffer…the agony of loosing her son…" I uttered weakly, feeling my life force wane. "And…I have my own reasons…Kurama-kun…"

 

"What reasons? Yusuke? Yusuke!!" hollered Kurama, shaking me violently.

 

I shut my eyes halfway, feeling even weaker. "Remember…Kurama-kun? You asked me…why did I reach out and help you? It's the same reason I give my life now…for yours…" I withdrew into myself to find those deep and powerful feelings take a hold of me. Now I knew what they were. "Love…" I whispered. "Love, Kurama…"

 

"…Love?" repeated Kurama. "The words…they finally came to you…" He sniffled. His eyes watered. A small, tear fell from his cheek and onto mine, like a diamond of sparkling sadness.

 

The lightning and bright light dissipated, leaving Kurama and I alone under the night sky, bathed in the moon's silver glow.

 

"Yusuke-kun, don't leave me," implored Kurama tearfully. He held me tighter. "I can't live without you…Yusuke!"

 

Kurama's cry echoed in my consciousness. "Kurama?" I called out faintly.

 

"Yusuke-kun, you're alive!" Kurama exclaimed.

 

I still breathed, but barely. My head pounded. Sweat beads coated my body, drenching my clothes. The Forlorn Hope took most of my life force, and some of Kurama's to save his mother.

 

"How valiant of you, lad," commended the mirror's deep voice. "You were willing to sacrifice your very life for the one you love. Keep that love shinning, even in the darkest of times, Urameshi Yusuke."

 

As the mirror said that, the moon's aura seemed to brighten. She smiled down on us, her light soft and happy.

 

To be continued…