Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Captured by a Rose ❯ Chapter 17 ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 17
//…..// means thoughts.
 
 
//Oh, my head, it hurts// Kurama thought to himself. //Can't move, something tight//
 
“Well, well, Suzaku-sama, our guest has woken up,” Muguru cooed, perching on Suzaku's shoulder.
 
The youkai lord crossed one leg over the other, relaxing in his throne as he sipped a glass of red wine. He smiled lustfully, taking in the lovely features of the kitsune shackled by his lightning magic at the foot of his throne. Through half lidded eyes, Kurama gazed at pale youkai feet in red slippers. Around the ankles burnished gold bangles, reflecting the firelight from two torches that flanked the throne.
 
As Suzaku shifted the bangles jingled making a pleasant noise. “Welcome to my abode, Kurama.”
 
“Suzaku?” Kurama groaned, struggling against his restraints.
 
“At last you're awake,” Suzaku noted, staring down through his wine.
 
“Why am I here? And where's Hiei?” asked Kurama, his manner calm as he rose up to his knees, his arms held back by the magic.
 
“You're friends are back in the human world,” answered Suzaku aggravated at the thought of mere humans. “And as for why you're here, that's another story.” He raised a hand, releasing Kurama from the lightning. “Please, make yourself comfortable.”
 
The kitsune stood up, straightening his uniform as he eyed Suzaku suspiciously.
 
“I take it you don't trust me yet,” jested Suzaku, placing his empty glass on the arm of his throne. He motioned to Muguru to summon the servants. She nodded flying out of the chamber. “As you probably know from Koenma, particular youkai warlords have weakened the dimensional barrier between the human and demon realms. Those lords would be my Saint Beasts and I. Of course once we destroy the barrier the human world will be ours.”
 
“I'm afraid to say your plans make us enemies, Suzaku-san. As a reikai tantei, it is my sworn duty to help Urameshi Yusuke protect all of humanity,” apologized Kurama.
 
“Just the speech I'd expect from an ally of Urameshi's,” replied Suzaku wearily, sinking back in his throne. “But forget about him.”
 
“I'm sorry, Suzaku-san, I can't,” declined Kurama respectfully.
 
//He's so beautiful as well as polite. I just can't stand that stubbornness// thought Suzaku to himself. He cupped Kurama's cheeks in his hands, drawing him closer. “Are you more loyal to your fellow humans than your youkai brethren?”
 
“It's not that,” Kurama shivered, feeling Suzaku's fingertips caress his smooth skin. //That touch, its just like Yusuke's. I miss him//
 
“That pitiful human, you love him,” hissed Suzaku crossly. He broke his caress, slapping Kurama's face.
 
The kitsune winced, swallowing his anger. Any sudden move might further incite the youkai lord's wrath, resulting in punishment or even death. Kurama feared his malice and godlike power over lightning.
 
Suzaku smirked, lips curled in a twisted smile. “If you value his life, you'll do as I say.” As the youkai lord pointed towards the mirror mounted in his chamber, my image manifested in it.
 
I ran without stopping to Genkai's temple, scaling mountains and rivers in the middle of the wilderness. If anyone could help me find out what happened to Kurama she could.
 
“Yu-kun.” My name escaped Kurama's lips, his gaze transfixed on my picture in the mirror.
 
“Lightning, smite him,” commanded Suzaku, absent of all mercy.
 
Out of nowhere thunder crackled splitting the calm blue sky above. In a flash of blinding light lightning plunged where I stood.
 
“Rei-gun!” I cried, wrapping one hand around my wrist, shooting reiki out a finger to deflect the attack. I pushed most of it away, except for a splinter of lightning. It hit me head on, burning away the all the clothes on my left arm.
 
“Yusuke!” wailed Kurama at the top of his lungs, reaching out at the mirror.
 
“Disobey me and I won't miss next time,” warned Suzaku coldly. “You'll do as I say or he'll die.”
 
Kurama's body shook with rage, fists ready to fly at the youkai lord. //No I can't give in, for Yusuku's sake. I love him. If I'm forced to act unfaithful to save you, forgive me, Yu-kun//
 
* * *
 
Shiori rushed outside shocked to see the charred patch of grass on the lawn. Botan knelt by Hiei adjusting the pink kimono she dressed him in.
 
“Really, Hiei. It's all I had,” Botan chuckled, helping him up.
 
“Whatever,” Hiei replied curtly.
 
“My dear Shuichi-kun, what happened to him?” Shiori asked them desperately.
 
Botan shut her eyes looking away. “He's gone, Ms. Minamino. But don't worry. We'll get him back. I swear.”
 
Shiori clasped her hands in front of her chest, bowing her head deeply as a gesture of appreciation. “Thank you, Botan-san. I know I can count on you. Please bring him back safely, okay dear?”
 
“I'll do everything I can, Ms. Minamino,” reassured Botan confidently.
 
“So will I,” added Hiei at last, feeling obliged to help his close friend.
 
* * *
 
“Everything…hurts…” I uttered in pain.
 
“Take it easy there,” an old gruff woman's voice called out over me.
 
I regained consciousness in an old temple, the halls dark, its floors made of highly polished wood. Outside was a long winding veranda outside typical of traditional Japanese architecture. A steeply pitched roof above, covered in red clay tiles had its eaves extended out over the verandas, where the space opened up into a surrounding garden.
 
I spied Genkai in the back of the temple, out on a veranda overlooking the temple garden. She meditated on a bamboo woven tatami matt, shaded by the overhanging roof. From the area where she sat, stepping-stones were placed across an asymmetrical pond, boarded with stones. Lush grasses grew in the garden along with evergreen trees that symbolized eternity. An outer bamboo fence enclosed the garden, its yellow branches assembled diagonally, held in place with long horizontal branches.
 
I approached Genakai, stepping down on the grassy area below the veranda by the pond, where I washed my hands in a low stone basin, fed by a constantly running bamboo pipe. A stone lantern was placed nearby, adding to the overall aesthetic effect of Genkai's Japanese garden.
 
“Peaceful, isn't it?” commented Genkai from the elevated walkway above me, awakening from her meditation.
 
“Yeah, it is, Baa-san,” I agreed, taking in the garden's beauty. “I'm too worried to focus on it.”
“Its about your friend, Kurama?” the old woman inquired, rolling up her bamboo matt. “Koenma sent word that the youkai lord Suzaku kidnapped him. He tried to attack you through the weakened barrier. That's why the lightning came from. I found outside unconscious.”
 
“That damn Suzaku!” I growled, gritting my teeth. “I knew something happened to Kurama-kun! Take me so Suzaku, so I can kiss his ass right now.”
 
Genkai sighed, crossing her arms. “Confront Suzaku and he'll kill you. You don't have a chance. That's why you must train first, Yusuke. And you'll be needing the help of your other friends.”
 
“Friends? Which friends?” I muttered, frowning at her.
 
The old woman chuckled. “Botan and Hiei of course. Koenma says they'll be coming here soon.”
 
“K'so,” I cursed. “Does that goddamn toddler think he controls everything?”
 
“You'd better respect the great Koenma. He's a good friend of mine.” Genkai knocked me out for insulting him.
 
That hag's got a strong left hook.
 
TBC…