Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Conquering All Odds ❯ A Love Rival? Enter Hiei ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Conquering All Odds

Chapter Six: A Love Rival? Enter Hiei.

~*~

Snow: So! Here`s chapter six of my little story, thank you sango16 from Mediaminer.org for your review and thanks to everyone who has reviewed this humble little fic at Fanfiction.net because it`s way more popular there than it is at MM.org…

Hiei: Shut up! Get on with the story!

Snow: Hold on! Um, someone asked me in a review "Can`t they sense Yusuke`s Spirit Energy?" That is a very good question…You`ll figure out the answer in this chapter okay?

Disclaimer: I don`t own YYH!!

Snow: On with the ficcie!!! *dun dada duuun*

~*~

Kurama smiled and picked Yusuke up, saving him from falling off the bed. He placed him in his lap and started stroking his back with his knuckles. Despite not wanting to, Yusuke purred.

`I guess it isn`t that bad being a cat.' Yusuke thought, closing his eyes and drifting off into sleep.

~*~

"Koenma? Do you have any more information on Yusuke?" Botan asked, walking into his office. She made her oar dissipate and walked over to the toddler.

"No, not at all…we can`t get a read on his Spirit Energy…" Koenma said with a look of worry on his face. "I`ve checked everywhere, Human World, Demon World, under my bed…he can not be found any where!"

"Why would he be under your bed?" Botan asked, smiling and giggling nervously.

"It`s called a joke, Botan." Koenma snapped sarcastically, stamping another paper. His brow was furrowed in frustration.

"Is there something wrong?" Botan asked.

"Yes there IS something wrong!" Koenma snapped once again. "We have a new case AND our Spirit Detective is missing!"

"A new case? What is it this time?" Botan walked to the side of Koenma`s desk and looked over his shoulder at his paper work.

"I would appreciate it if you didn`t look over my shoulder while I`m stamping! It makes me nervous!"

"Well, what is the new case?"

"Okay, there is a new demon named Atsuki. Atsuki is a powerful cat demon that can morph into any human he touches. While he is in that particular human`s form, he can make his spirit energy match their`s exactly! He has followers that aren`t as strong, but can turn someone into a cat by simply scratching them." Koenma showed a picture of Atsuki on a television screen. He was a very attractive looking man. He had silver hair, his cat ears stuck up on top of his head and he had a long cat tail spurting from his spine. He wore a black kimono and had a vile of blood on a string tied around his neck. Purple eyes were narrowed in an arrogant way.

"He looks…tough…" was all the Grim Reaper could say, but she was blushing. This so called Atsuki was a cute guy.

"That`s because he IS!" Koenma shouted. "He is in the Upper A class of demon."

Botan gasped. "No, but Hiei and Kurama are only in the Upper B class. They are almost an A!"

"We need Yusuke to defeat him." Koenma said, slamming his hands down abruptly on his desk. "Hiei and Kurama just aren`t up to Atsuki`s standards! And Kuwabara only has his sword that can slice through dimensions and his high spirit awareness…even he can`t sense where Atsuki`s hiding because of his energy masking capabilities!"

"Maybe you could find some of his lackeys and torture them until they tell all." Botan suggested.

"I would, but two of his strongest warriors, Zagato and Nuriko are no where to be found." Koenma brought up a picture of them on the television screen.

Botan stared at the picture. "Oh! I remember escorting those two to your office the other day! They had been killed and you told me to take them to the other room until you could decide to send them to Heaven or Hell!" She exclaimed. "I`ll go get them right now! Maybe they know where this `Atsuki' character is!" Botan formed her oar, hopped on it and flew off.

~*~

Meanwhile Yusuke was awoken by the sound of coughing. He opened his brown eyes and looked around. It was two thirty six in the morning. Stretching out his cat muscles, he stuck his hind quarters in the air and yawned. `Wonder who`s sick..' Yusuke thought, jumping off of the bed. He wandered out of the room to the bathroom and peeked in. He saw Kurama holding his head over the toilet, throwing up. His hair was tied back with a white ponytail holder to keep from falling in front of his face.

Yusuke approached him and let out a soft meow. `Great, he`s sick…I hope he gets better soon…' He thought concernedly.

Kurama turned his head in Yusuke`s direction and smiled weakly. "Yuki, did I wake you up?" He asked, but closed his mouth quickly and began throwing up once again.

The small kitten winced, he felt bile rise up in his throat. He closed his eyes tightly, trying to force the sickening liquid down. He ended up turning away, but staying with Kurama throughout his spell.

~*~

The sun had just rose when Shiori came into the kitsune`s room with a bowl of soup and orange juice on a tray. "How are you feeling, Shuiichi?"

"Nauseated and my stomach hurts, but other than that I`m fine." Kurama replied, managing a small smile for his mother.

"Here, you need to eat something." Shiori placed the tray on the nightstand and turned to go to the door. "I`m going out for a while to the movies with a friend...will you be alright?"

"Yes, I`ll be fine Mother, I can take care of myself." Kurama said, sipping the chicken noodle soup.

"See you around five o'clock?" She said, confirming that time.

"Okay, bye." Kurama said, slurping a noodle. Shiori went out and shut the door behind her.

Yusuke just curled up into a ball near Kurama`s legs and stayed like that for a while.

~*~

About an hour later, Kurama had moved into the living room and was now watching the Home Gardening Channel. "Wow, look at those lilies." said one woman named Eliza. "Aren`t they beautiful when you tint the color of their leaves with purple food coloring!"

Kurama just rolled his eyes at the woman as she showed a picture of pure white lilies that was labeled "Before" and a picture of the corrupted lilies that were slightly wilting and had purple streaks every here and there on the petals that was labeled "After."

"The lilies were beautiful before they tinted them, now they are probably going to die in a few days." Kurama sighed.

Suddenly a knock was heard on the window. Kurama rose from his comfortable position on the couch and walked over to it. Seeing who it was, he opened the window and in the blink of an eye, there stood Hiei.

"I sensed your spirit energy weakening and decided to check and see if you were dead." Hiei said, looking Kurama over. Kurama was dressed in pajama bottoms and a white t-shirt. He wore socks and his hair was frizzy, his face was flushed from a fever.

Hiei`s hand moved carefully to the kitsune`s forehead. Brushing away his bangs, he felt his forehead. "You have a high fever, you need to be resting."

Kurama`s face turned redder, but not from the fever. Yusuke lifted his head and glared at Hiei. `Why am I suddenly jealous?' He thought, puzzled.

Hiei`s glance moved from the kitsune to the cat resting by the blanket that was on the couch. "What`s that?" Hiei said, referring to the small kitten.

"It`s called a `cat'." Kurama explained, smiling at the confused little kitten that seemed to be glaring daggers at the fire demon. Under his black fur, Yusuke blushed from his smile. It was so serene, so genuinely kind and gentle, but he knew that under that smile was a kitsune that you didn`t want to piss off unless you wanted to die.

Unbeknownst to him, every hair on his back stood on end. He hissed and drew his claws. `I`ve never been like this before…' He thought as he released a hiss he could no longer keep in.

"Looks like he`s jealous, kitsune." Hiei smirked. "He must be very fond of you."

"I guess," Kurama coughed.

"Go sit down, it`s pathetic to see the great Youko Kurama being beaten by a virus." Hiei said and walked into the kitchen. He returned with a bowl of ramen. "Eat." He commanded. "You`ll never get better if you don`t eat something."

"How did you learn how to use the microwave?" Kurama asked, cocking an eyebrow in a mixture of interest and worry.

"I tried to work that thing one time before, but it beeped at me when it`s timer reached zero. So I blew it up. Fortunately it was at Kuwabara`s house and he got in trouble for it."

"What were you doing at Kuwabara`s house?" Kurama asked, slurping a noodle.

"Botan called us over to discuss Toguro and things of that sort…" Hiei trailed off. "Now eat!"

Kurama began to eat more as Hiei pleasingly watched.

Yusuke just continued to give death glares to Hiei. `Damn it…'

~*~

Snow: There we go! Chapter six is done!! ^_^

Hiei: Whooo…hooo… *dully*

Snow: You should be happy! I put you in the story!

Hiei: Yeah, but I`m not Yusuke`s "love rival" I don`t love ANYONE!

Snow: Yeah whatever! This fic is WAY more popular on FF.net than it is on MM.org…I wonder why…

Hiei: Shut up and end the fic!

Snow: Bye Bye ya`ll!! Until next time!! ^_^

~*~