Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Crucify ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 1
 
A dark, lone figure ran through the lush forest of Makai. Blood flowed down her beautiful face as long midnight tussles stuck to the sticky substance. From the direction she'd come, voices could be heard, yelling and shouting, mocking her in their own way. Though she couldn't make out what was being said, she knew they were hunting her.
 
Tripping on a high root, she fell; her katana hilt shoving into her side, adding to the bruises on her already beaten body. Exhausted, both from running and malnutrition, she laid where she had fallen, not even bothering to move the hilt of her weapon from her side. The voice began increasing in volume, forcing her to raise and begin her trek to her unknown destination.
 
The warding bracelet that adorned her wrist jingled in a haunting melody, it was joined by the jeweled ward that adorned her katana, making the haunting tune louder; making the tune seem more daunting then ever. In sync with each other, the sounds of her soft footfall only added to the daunting sound, synchronizing with the beats of her pounding head as a migraine began to show it self.
 
The damnable wards, she knew were the cause of her vicious headache. It had done this before on several occasions, many when she tried to stray too far off from where her “master” had permitted her to go or when she tried tapping in her youki. However, though these migraines where painful, they were nothing in comparison to what she'd been through. Between regular beating, being burned with metal, rape and other things, she chose not to recall; this simple migraine was nothing.
 
Stopping suddenly, her instinct telling her something was off. She now couldn't hear any sounds that would indicate she was still being followed. There was also an unimaginably strong energy nearby. Quickly, she found that it was familiar to her, but she could not place it. She had sensed it on many occasions while being forced to trail with the thieves, but she was never aloud to check it out.
 
Finally after a short debate with herself, she scratch off the known-existing sounds of being followed and allowed her curiosity to grab hold of her. As she made her way towards the direction of the energy, she stopped short, still in the cover of the foliage. Taking a notice to the fact that foliage ceased to exist from where she stood to about 20 meters ahead of her, where the mysterious energy was. Once again, deciding against her better judgment, she walked out into the open and finished her course to her destination, ignoring the feeling of dread as she moved farther away from her coverage.
 
Standing only two meters from the enormous energy that she had swath out, what she saw amazed her. It was a massive barrier that spread as far as she could see in every direction. She'd even bet that it went into the very earth that she stood upon.
 
As the sensation of danger gripped her, a voice rang out through the clearing. “It's wonderful, isn't it?” Her silver eyes widen as the smooth, almost gentle voice continued to speak. “It's powerful and contains no faults, just like me. How I envy it, though despise it all the same. For it keeps from my one goal.” There was no need for her to turn around to know who was speaking; but she found that her body would not obey her command and she found herself looking at what she feared most… Crow.
 
His violet eyes locked with her silver ones and he spoke, the gentleness that was once there was gone, replaced with almost a playful tone. “You're faster than I remember you being, my kitten.” Walking closer to his “pet”, he pulled out golden knuckle. “Now, kitten, why were you trying to run from me? Now you're going to have to be punished.” There was mock pity in his voice as he cracked his knuckles.
 
The attack came too quick for her defend herself, as usual and she felt herself sailing through the air. Fly back; she tried to hold back the agonized cry that she found escaping her mouth as her body came in contact with the barrier. As the barrier's energy shocked her and began to melt the skin off her back, she felt herself falling backwards before blackness overcame her senses.
 
As she disappeared through the barrier, Crow's pleased smirk turned into a frown as he watched his favorite pet slip through his grasp.
 
~*~
 
“I'm so very glad you decide to grace us with your presence, Yusuke,” Koenma stated somewhat sarcastically, as the leader of his Spirit Detective's burst through his office door, nearly an hour late.
 
“Shut your face dipper breath! You try getting away from Keiko when she's pissed! I dare ya!” raved the aggravated teen, who adorned a bright red handprint on his check.
 
Koenma raised an eyebrow at the youth. “Do you still believe that your ridiculous nicknames still fits? I've been out of that form for nearly three years now.” Koenma's patience was running low, as it always did when Yusuke was around.
 
“So? What can I say, habits die hard,” Yusuke defended.
 
“Yeah, and so do you!” The rough voice of Kuwabara offered up, laughing while slapping Yusuke on the back.
 
“Kuwabara's right on that one, wouldn't you agree?” Koenma stated with amusement.
 
Another in the room cleared their throat, grabbing everyone's attention and breaking up any argument that was going to play out. “Lord Koenma, why, may I ask, have you summoned us?” The silky, strong yet polite voice could only belong to Kurama.
 
“Oh…” Koenma got back on to the case at hand. “Well, the reason why I called you here is because of the barrier.” Before the demi-god could explain farther, he was interrupted.
 
“Did something break through the barrier again?” Kuwabara was already confused, usually when mission like that came up, Botan would tell them about it. Most of the time it was across the commentators and rarely in person.
 
“Well, yes and no.” Koenma replied. Before anyone could question him farther, he elaborated. “Every 50 to 100 years the barrier between the demon and human worlds being to… how should I put it… flicker you could say. The barrier will open portals by itself, then close them anywhere from a second to hours after they been opened. It would be quiet dangerous if a demon were to find any of the long standing portal and cross over.”
 
“What do you want us to do about?” Hiei snapped from his place in a shadowed corner, far away from the humans.
 
“I want you all to be alert to any and all demon activity,” Koenma explained, restacking some papers. “Oh and before I forget, after you get home, there will be no more portals and the commentator will be useless, until the barrier has completely settling once more.” Wave his hand towards Botan he ordered. “Open a portal for them.”
 
“Right-O, boss,” Botan replied, giggling and waving good-bye as she watched the guys go into their respected portal that would take them home.