Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Crucify ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 2
 
A black clad figure landed on her side on the firm cement ground of an alleyway. Groaning, she forced her silver eyes to opened, taking in the surrounding area; what came into view where tall stone and metal buildings and the smell of week old trash. On the edge of her draining sight, she saw someone standing in the shadows. “Hey are you okay?” Was the last to register in her ears as blackness over took everything once more.
 
Slowly, her senses started come back to her and the first thing she noticed was she was warm and on something soft.
 
“Ryo, come here I believe she's waking up,” a warm but uneasy female voice ordered softly.
 
Hearing footsteps come towards her, she tensed but relaxed slightly when heard a younger boy's voice.
 
“Is she going to be alright, mother?” His voice held some concern but mostly curiosity and confusion. He had seen her fall from nowhere and he was wondering how.
 
“I don't know yet,” the woman, his mother, replied, “we'll just have to wait and see.”
 
Finally, she allowed her silver eyes to open ever so slowly, only to be greeted by brown ones staring down at her. Moving to sit up, the woman placed her hands on her shoulder, trying to stop her. “No, you should stay laying down, you are hurt.”
 
“I'll be fine,” the girl reassured, her voice gentle, yet slightly firm as she took her desired position. “Though I'm curious as to why you are so concerned about me.”
 
The woman was more than shocked by the question, though could easily see the confusion and mistrust on her face. “I'm concerned about you because you could and still may died from your injuries,” the woman explained in a motherly tone. “Now I have a question of my own.” When the girl's silver eyes shown with curiosity, she continued. “What is your name?”
 
Her intense silver eyes looked deep within those brown one, seeing if she was any danger to her. Finally, after seeing no threat from the woman, she answered. “Lava.” When Ryo spoke up, she removed her gaze from the mother to him.
 
“Ah… Lava? What's going on with you arm?” His voice held uncertainty and even a little bit of fear as he jumped down from where he was siding at the foot of the bed.
 
Looking down to where the brown haired boy had indicated, Lava wasn't at all surprised at what she saw. What looked to be like a dragon tattoo was snaking it self down her left arm, towards the offending ward bracelet that was there. “Dragon.” Her voice was commanding as she called out.
 
The two humans that were in the room, to say the least, were surprised when the tattoo pealed itself from her skin and moved so that it was at eye level with Lava.
 
“Dragon, do not make an attempted at shattering the ward. You, as well as I, know all to well it will only cause more pain than it's worth. So, return to your resting place,” Lava insisted. The dragon seemed to hesitate for a moment, linger as if it were searching from something in its master's silver gaze. Seeming not to find what it was looking for, it did as it was told.
 
Turning her piercing gaze back to the child, Lava spoke. “You have my thanks. I do dislike in when they thing they know best.”
 
“Ah, yeah, no problem, anytime.” Ryo chuckled nervously under those silver eyes.
 
“Would you mind explaining what just happened?” Ryo's mother spoke up, more than a little stun at what she just witnessed.
 
Lava looked both humans over, before sighing. `This is going to be a long night.' Was the thought that came to mind, before settling down to answer their questions. After all, it was the least she could do for them after they saved her life, right?
 
“What you just saw was one of my Seven Dragons of the Violet Flame tell me off.” Noting their confused looks she decided to explain farther. “Seven Dragons of the Violet Flame is a powerful attack that I've required. One of the side effects to learning this attack is that I'm stuck with the said number of Dragon tattoos the attack calls for. And if I'm not careful, one of these Dragons might do as it pleases. An example would be like what you must witnessed.” Lave easily took note of the uncertain that crossed the older woman's face.
 
She spoke up, a motherly concern in her voice that confused Lava. “What would have happened if my son hadn't seen it? The dragon I mean.”
 
“I would be doubled over, coughing up blood with a pounding headache,” Lava answered half-heartedly, unconsciously eyeing the bracelet. Without using her head, she brushed her fingers over the ward. What she received in response was a good jolt of power. Hissing in pain and fury, Lava quickly withdraw her had. Regaining her composer, she settled for glaring death at the damnable thing.
 
Both humans jump back when a jolt, of what looked to be lightening, flew from the ward. However, what scared them into final and completely moving away from the bedside altogether were the inhuman sounds that came from Lava. What finally made her send her son to bed, was not Lava's hissing, but the glare that she gave the bracelet that promised a painful death to whoever placed it on her.
 
“Tell me, what is your name.” Lava's voice was demanding and filled with hatred. Knowing that that hatred wasn't directed, she forced herself to relax. Even with that knowledge, she couldn't stop the fear the shook her body at heard the deadly tone.
 
“Suiko.” She tried to keep her voice from quivering, not wanting to show any fear to a child that couldn't be any older than 16, 17 at the most.
 
“Forgive me, I did not mean to frighten you or your son.” Lava allowed a sigh to escape you lips. She knew that this moment she sounded tired and defeated. “I just get pissed off knowing that I can not live my life the way I wish to live it. When I try to move or even touch my wrist… well you saw what happened. These godforsaken things keep me from defending myself, unless I'm told otherwise. And from where I come from, the defenseless die,” she explained simply.
 
“There is more than one? I only saw one on you.” Suiko was still nervous, but now she understood why the young girl had become enraged.
 
“My katana carries one. It does not allow me to hold the hilt.”
 
“Is there a way to remove them?” Suiko questioned curiously, as she returned to her former spot by the bedside. Most of her fear had turned to curiosity by now.
 
Lava looked over the older woman for a moment, unsure if she liked where conversation was possibly leading. Deciding that she would sate the curious human, she continued. “Someone, other than myself, can remove them. Those some ones are nether Crow himself or a human.”
 
“I could remove them then, after all I am a human. That is, if that's what you want.” Knowing that she was pushing a tender subject, she made sure to keep her voice soft, not wanting to anger the younger female. The rage that Lava had displayed early was still fresh in her mind.
 
Lava stared at the light brown haired woman with cold, calculating eyes.
 
`There is not way this teenager is a normal human being. Well, minus the fact that she has moving tattoos, and the color of her eyes and how easily she talks about the fact the defenseless perish. Everything about this girl has got me curious,' Suiko thought as she used all her will power not to look away from that cold gaze.
 
“Are you saying you're will to help me?” Lava's voice held uncertainty, as she watched Suiko nodded. She was slightly impressed when she didn't break eye contact. “What will I owe you?” The deep mistrust that question held shocked the older woman.
 
“You will owe me and my son nothing,” Suiko answered in a motherly, firm tone that said that was the end of the discussion.
 
Now, it was it was time for Lava to stun. What she had been taught was that everything came with a price. The more you wanted, the higher the price. That is was she'd always lived by, but now a human woman sat in front of her telling her she didn't have to pay anything?
 
“You do not seem to understand.” Lava's tone was even and she held an expressionless façade up. “What you are willing, and already have done, for me is a life debt by my honor. You not only saved my life, but you are willing to free me of these retched bonds. And here you ask for nothing in return. That in it self is not acceptable,” She explained in a patient tone.
 
“Truthfully, I have nothing to ask of you,” Suiko easily replied. Thinking a minute, she changed her mind. “Wait, there is one thing that you could do for me.” She watched as Lava gave her a questionable look. “I want you to learn to trust, if not me, then somebody.”
 
`Humans, what an interesting breed. They are nothing like what I was told.' The thought flashed through head mind. `Well, at least these two aren't.' Lava corrected herself. “Fine, just remember, I don't take betrayal easily,” Lava warned almost causally with a deadly under tone.
 
“I understand. I don't believe anyone like to be betrayed, not even the ones who are doing the betraying. Now, let me see you wrist.” Lava did what was asked of her. “Now, I'm not promising anything ok?” Suiko wanted that clear as she looked down at the seemingly harmless bracelet. The black-haired girl nodded in understanding.
 
Her hand trembled as Suiko moved her hand closer to the bracelet, remembering what had happened to Lava when she had touched it. A relief filled sigh, escaped as she wrapped her fingers around the jewelry.
 
“Now, the question is, can you remove it?” Lava questioned anxiously.
 
Ever so slowly, Suiko started to move the bracelet off the other girl's hand. As soon as the bracelet was away from Lava, Suiko dropped it on to the floor, as if it were poisonous.
 
“Do you thing you could do that again?” the silver-eyed girl questioned softly, though her voice was filled with hope and curiosity.
 
“I don't really know. I'm surprised I got that one off so easily. Why do you ask?”
 
“I'm curiosity to know if you would be kind enough to remove the ward off my katana.” Lava answered, looking around finally. “Speaking of which, where is my katana?”
 
“Oh, I put it in the closet for safe keeping. Do you want me to get it for you?” Suiko was already moving towards the closet that held Lava's blade.
 
The silver-eyed girl didn't bother replying, seeing how Suiko had already gone to retrieve it. Once the woman was out of the room, Lava looked at her wrist where the ward once hung and absently rub it. Finally, she faced her palm up and forced a violet flame to come forth. A true, rare smile graced her lips as she continued to watch the flame dance.
 
~*~
 
“Hiei, are you sure you be alright?” Kurama asked the dark figure that was sitting on his windowsill. “I mean, the portals are down and unless you find a stable flicking portal, you stuck in human world.”
 
“I can control my self, fox,” Hiei insisted hotly.
 
“Are you sure? What if you meet a female that catches you eye?” Kurama stopped doing his homework in favor of studying his friend more closely.
 
“Do be absurd, now female will `catch my eye,' are you put,” Hiei bit out as he shifted slightly under Kurama's green eyes. “Like I said before, I can control my urges. Don't make me repeat my self again.”
 
Kurama caught Hiei ruby eyes with his own, forcing him to meet his gaze. “Are you sure you can? Canj you handle Yusuke and Kuwabara? And what will happen if we run into a demon that managed to come through one of those portals?” His emerald eyes held worry as her ask his questions.
 
“Kurama, I can and will control myself!” Hiei's hand now rested warning on the hilt of his katana. “It's not like I've never gone through a heat cycle before!”
 
“Yes, Hiei I know this but you've always gone to Makai and got away from the others. Will you be able to stop yourself if you anger gets the better of you? Or will you kill them?”
 
“Hn.” Was the only answer he graced the fox avatar before speeding away with in human speeds. `Kurama doesn't realize what he's saying! I'll just stay as far away as possible from the two idiots. And for a human or demon female catching my, he's sadly mistaken!' Once Hiei's internal rant had end, he was on the outskirts of the city. Darting into the forest that surrounded the human jungle, he headed towards a hidden lake.
 
He reached the lake within minutes of entering the woods and he stripped himself of his clothing. Driving into the icy cold depths, he sighed. “That's much better.” Swimming towards the shore, he walked onto the bank. Allowing him self to air dry, another sigh escaped his lips.
 
Usually his temperature stayed around a comfortable 125 degrees. His temp was lower than a pure bleed fire demon, while too high for a Koorime or for any ice demon. However, during his heat cycle, his temperature soared over 140 degrees, making him, more or lets, uncomfortable.
 
Finding himself dry enough, he quickly redressed and started back towards the city. `I have a feeling I'll be visiting this lake a lot with in the next two weeks,' Hiei predicted as he felt his body heating uncontrollably once more.