Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Crucify ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 3
 
Two days had come and gone since Lava found herself with Suiko and her son, Ryo. She found that she had indeed kept to her side of the bargain and was begin to trust the two humans. With the wards gone, Lava's demon blood went into overdrive, nearly completely healing her by the end of the first day.
 
“Lava, could you pick Ryo up at school today? I have to work late,” Suiko questioned, as she got ready to leave for the day.
 
“No problem.” Lava was concentrated on her dragons. At the moment, she allowed them to freely foam her body, healing any cracked or broken bones that hadn't already healed.
 
Both, Suiko and Ryo had gotten use to their quest strange behavior, but that didn't mean they still weren't intrigued by it. “Remember, be there by 3 o'clock.” Suiko didn't wait for a reply as she hurried out the front door.
 
“Follow her and keep her out of trouble, but do stay out of sight.” One of her seven dragon tattoos pealed itself off her skin and rushed after the woman who its mistress had ordered to keep safe.
 
Sighing once the dragon had disappeared into the shadows, she allowed a soft smile to grace her lips. Her and her dragons felt indebted to the woman and boy for not only saving her life, but also for removing the wards for herself and her swords. The ward that had been placed upon her two katanas had made them one. Now with it off, she felt good holding to swords once more on her own accord.
 
“It seems like we're done.” She spoke aloud as her dragons returned to their chosen places on her back. “So, now what should we do?” Looking at the semi messy house, she smirked. “I suppose we could clean up a little bit. I mean how hard could it be to clean a house?” With that said, she started doing what she could to pick up the house.
 
~*~
 
Tell me again why we're going to the elementary school?” Yusuke was annoyed and hated being forced to go with Keiko to that school. He didn't have the fondest memories of it.
 
“Because, I've got to pick my cousin up for my aunt.” Keiko too was become annoyed. She had answered that question over ten times in the last five minutes.
 
“So, why exactly, did you have to drag us along?” Kuwabara asked with whine.
 
“Damn it! Quit your complaining!” Barked Yusuke as he hit his friend upside the head.
 
“But do tell us Yusuke, why did you bring us along?” Kurama questioned, not really knowing if he wanted an answer.
 
“Well, I just figured if I had to suffer, you guys could suffer with me!” Yusuke answered happily, as if it more reasonable thing ever. “Besides, Keiko's cousin is a brat!”
 
“What did you say, Yusuke Urameshi?” Keiko yelled at her boyfriend, smacking him. “He's not a brat! You're just mean to him!”
 
“Is that the only reason you brought us along?” Kuwabara bellowed angrily. He'd been playing his favorite arcade game and was winning when Yusuke had said they needed to do something important.
 
“Nope.”
 
“What than, detective?” Hiei glared hotly at everyone, but at the moment mainly Yusuke.
 
Looking at the most a loaf person in their rag-tag team, Yusuke explained. “Well, after we walk Keiko and that brat home, we we're going to head towards Genkai's.” Yusuke easily ignored the deadly glares that he was receiving not only from Hiei, but Keiko too.
 
“Well, what are we going to do once we get there?” Kuwabara asked as they walked onto the school grounds. It was nearly 3 o'clock and the schoolyard was filled with adults waiting to pick up their children.
 
“Stupid humans.” Muttering under his breath, Hiei walked to a near by tree and leaned against the bark.
 
“Hiei are you going to be alright?” Kurama questioned his friend mentally.
 
“Fine!” Hiei snapped, growling lowly at the redhead.
 
“Really now? Well, please do tell what the reason is for your energy spike?” Kurama casually questioned.
 
“Hn.”
 
“Hiei? Is something wrong?” Keiko questioned curiously.
 
“No!” Hiei snapped a little to quickly, unconsciously growling low in his chest.
 
“Right, we completely believe you,” Yusuke sarcastically replied, rolling his eyes at the demon. Just as he was about to question farther, the school bell rung signaling the end of a school day.
 
“Ringo! Over here!” Keiko called, waving her hand in the arm, trying to get said person's attention. Once she got Ringo's attention, the dirty blonde boy with blue eyes raced over to her. She noticed right away that someone was following him. This boy had dark brown hair and light brown eyes. She immediately recognized him as Ryo, a close friend to her cousin.
 
“Hey, Keiko!” Ringo wrapped his arms around Keiko's waist, in a quick hug.
 
“Hello Keiko, how are you?” The other boy asked politely, while looking around the schoolyard.
 
“I'm doing good, Ryo what about you?”
 
“I'm fine, but have you seen my mom? She should have been here by now,” Ryo stated, slightly worried about what he was going to do if she didn't show up.
 
“Oh come on Ryo, why don't you just walk home by yourself?” Ringo questioned his friend, with a teasing look that said `chicken'.
 
“Because I'm not suppose to. Anyway, I don't see you walking home alone, and you live closer to the school then I do,” Ryo replied smartly, not abandoning his search.
 
“Well, we could always walk you home,” Keiko through up.
 
“What?” Yusuke whined, not wanting to walk another brat home. “You said we only had to pick up this guy,” he gestured towards Ringo, ruffling his hair. “Now, you're going to make us walk this kid home, too?”
 
“Yusuke, be nice for a change!” Keiko smacked her boyfriend again, in anger. She had zero tolerance for him today, not after he stood her up last night.
 
Both younger boys ignored Keiko's anger as she turned back to them. “Now where did you live again?” Keiko questioned, calmly. To anyone else her sudden mood swing would have been really weird, but to the boys, it was nothing, as long as Yusuke was around when it happened.
 
“I live on-”
 
`Little Ryo?' A voice cut off Ryo. He looked around, trying to pinpoint the voice.
 
“Ryo, what wrong?” Keiko watched as the boy in front of her began searching the thinning crowd a parents and kids. She also took note that he had a curious look on his face.
 
`Little one, I am one of the Seven Dragons of the Violet Flame, that my Mistress sent to watch over you.' The voice was nothing but a whisper. `I've been ordered to inform you that she shall be here within a few minutes.'
 
“Wait a second, that boy has youki coming off him,” Hiei relayed to his teammates telepathically.
 
“Yes, that seems to be the case,” Kurama quickly agreeing, noticing it as well.
 
“Yeah, but how? Or more importantly, why?” Yusuke demanded. “I mean come on, I've been around this brat hundreds of times and not once have I felt youki coming from him, so why now?”
 
“Ryo, have you meant anyone new recently?” Kurama questioned, having some suspensions that Ryo had come into contact with a demon recently.
 
“Why?” Ryo answered his question with a question.
 
“Just wondering is all.”
 
“Guys, we have to get going if we're going to walk Ryo home as well,” Keiko stated after she had finished talking to Ringo.
 
“That will not be necessary,” a silky voice stated from the ever so thin crowd.
 
Racing over to the silver-eyed girl, Ryo throw his arms around her waist in a big hug. “Lava! Where's mom?” Innocent curiosity shone brightly in his eyes.
 
“She had to work late.” Lava replied simply, gently returning his embrace with one arm.
 
“Oh, ok. Come meet my friends!” Dragging Lava towards the group so that they were standing in front of them, that's where he started his introductions. “This is Keiko and the one right there is Kuwabara, and that,” he pointed towards the red head, “is Shuichi, but everyone I know calls him Kurama. I don't know why but they do, anyway, and then the one leaning against the tree behind everyone is Hiei. And finally, he's Ringo!” Ryo pulled the blonde hair boy towards him.
 
To Lava, Ringo looked around Ryo's age, meaning he was around 9-years-old. “And that's everyone!” Ryo shouted loudly, causing Lava, as well as the other demons, to flinch at the high-pitched noise.
 
“Hey, you brat! What about me?” Yusuke shouted.
 
Ryo turned to him with an all to innocent look. “Oh, do I know you?”
 
Keiko giggled at Yusuke expense. “That's my boyfriend, Yusuke. Ryo and Ringo have a tendency to try and get under his skin. And most of the time they succeed,” she explained while the two boys laughed innocently.
 
Lava nodded. “A pleasure to meet all of you. I am Lava, if you didn't know that already.” She gave Ryo a pointed look. “But we must be going. Now Ryo, say your good-byes.”
 
“Can't they come with us? Please?” Ryo made the puppy face that always worked on his mother.
 
“Your mother said nothing about allowing your friends over,” Lava explained, uneasy about making decisions she felt weren't hers to really her to make. She placed a hand on his back to lead him away, after he had said his farewells. As her hand came in contact with his back, her dragon returned to her.
 
“There it is again.” Hiei warned, now watching both Ryo and his friend closely.
 
“Yeah, I felt it too.” Yusuke added, also keeping his eyes on the two that were walking away.
 
“That means she's the demon.” Kurama stated calmly.
 
“Well, bye everyone!” Ryo shouted over his shoulder as he continued to keep pace with Lava.
 
“Bye!” Ringo and Keiko shouted back, waving. Once they were out of hear range, Yusuke turned to Keiko.
 
“Hey, I have to go, something just came up.” He didn't give Keiko time to react as he ruffled Ringo's hair, telling him he'd see him later, and ran off.
 
“You have better call me later Yusuke Urameshi!” Keiko shouted after them as she finally registered what it was he had said.
 
~*~
 
“Urameshi, where the hell are we going?” Kuwabara questioned as they waked down the sidewalk, following a good distances behind Ryo and Lava.
 
“Weren't you listening, fool?” Hiei growled.
 
“Listening to what?”
 
“To what Hiei was say earlier?” Kurama replied, hearing Hiei's growl.
 
“Oh… yeah.”
 
“Then you should know we're following the brat and his friend because his friend is a demon, moron.” Yusuke was becoming annoyed.
 
“You're not thinking about fighting a girl, are you?” Kuwabara sounded appalled by the idea. “It's not right and it goes against my honor code!”
 
“We're not going to do anything but get her alone so we can see if she has a passport. Remember, Koenma told us to keep track of all the demon actives.” The only reason why he was actually doing what was told of him was because it involved someone that he cared for.
 
“I'm curious on how she was able to separate her youki like that, and why she used it on a human,” Kurama's eyes shone gold before turning back to their original emerald color, showing that Youko agreed.
 
“What you all should do for now is be quiet,” Hiei hissed. “She's listening.”
 
“Yeah, how do you know that, Shrimp?” Kuwabara questioned, not really believing him.
 
“Hn. Use your senses, ape, her youki's all around here, or should I say us,” Hiei explained impatiently. “It's following us.” `This type of energy, I've felt it before, but where?' He could really place what it was, but deep down he knew it. `That's the least of my concerns at the moment. I need to get away from here soon.'
 
“Hiei are you doing alright?”
 
“Fine, fox.” Was all Hiei said.
 
~*~
 
`Interesting, we're being followed.' Though Lava had thought that, several other beings heard it.
 
“Mistress, do you wish for us to be your ears?” a whispered voice questioned, that she easily recognized as one of her dragons. She could feel them pushing against her control, wanting freedom to roam.
 
“Stay in the shadows. Do not attempt to hurt them Dragons, otherwise punishments will be given.” Give her commands and warnings to her beasts; she released them from her body, though keeping a close watch over them.
 
The dragons could feel the power coming off the small group, pushing their instincts into attacking, but they didn't. The followed the orders there mistress had given them.
 
“Hey Lava! Earth to Lava!” Ryo waved his hand in front of the demoness's face, trying to get her attention. When he saw her snap back from whatever world she was in, he began to talk. “So what did you think of my friends?”
 
“They were interesting. But how well do you know them?”
 
Curiously, Ryo questioned her.
 
“Two of them are demons.” Lava sated the boy's curiosity. However, that just brought on a whole new wave.
 
“Really? Which two? And what kind of demons are they? Are they like you?” Ryo quickly questioned in one breathe. He looked up at Lava with pleading eyes, hoping that she would answer him. Before he had ever met Lava, he had believed that demons existed and now that he was proven right he wanted to learn everything that he could about them. And Lava had helped him, explaining the different breeds, classes, and types.
 
“Well, one is like me and the other, is a fox.” Answering only half his question, Lava wanted to see if he could describe each of their main behaviors.
 
“Oh, but which two?” Though Lava knew Ryo wanted that little piece of information, she was going to make him figure it out on his own.
 
“Who do you believe would most likely be a demon out of the group?”
 
Ryo thought for a minute, before answering. “Well, fox demons are known for their curiosity, playfulness and beauty. They are also strong physically and mentally, so they're crafty creatures. But the crave physical contact with others.” He had remembered that one easily, seeing as it was one of his favorite demons. “The one that's like you would make him a fire demon. That means he'll be fast and powerful. He'll also control one of the six fire types: Black, violet, blue, green, orange, or yellow. Black being the strong out of the group and yellow being the weakest.
 
“Do you know which fire he controls?” Lava had crammed that description into his head, seeing as she was a fire demon.
 
She thought for a minute before answering. “I am not exactly sure, but he's powerful. My guess though, is that he controls one of the stronger flames.” She was beginning to have a hard time controlling her dragons. They could sense that the fire demon was in heat and wanted to eliminate him before he became anymore of a threat to their mistress now that she was free. “We're going this way.” She steered her charge into an alley.
 
“Ok. But why?”
 
“I must deal with something.” Stopping to lean against the brick wall, Lava looked where she knew the group of guys would appear. And, sure enough, they did, surprising Ryo.
 
“Hey! What are you guys doing here?” Ryo pointed at them.
 
“I want you to head home, Ryo. Your mother is home now.” Lava never took her eyes off the group, purposely ignoring Hiei.
 
“But-”
 
“Don't argue, just do it, Ryo,” Lava ordered more firmly.
 
“Can you send the Dragons with me?” Truthfully, Ryo didn't want to be alone as he walked down the dark alleyway.
 
“Follow him.” Was the only thing Lava said, causing the group to become confused.
 
“Who you talking to?” Kuwabara questioned, looking all around. “I don't see anyone. Well, besides us and you can't order us around.”
 
“Idiot, look at the shadows,” Hiei ordered hotly. He was beginning to get annoyed with Kuwabara's idiocy. “When have you ever seen violet colored shadow?” His ruby eyes watch as long, violet shadows followed the boy as he walked down the alley. Once they were close to him, they jumped from the wall landing gently on the before disappearing beneath his clothing.
 
“What the hell was that!” Yusuke demanded more than asked.
 
“I believe I know.” The red head looked thoughtful before continuing. “But do correct me if I'm wrong. What we just witnessed was something similar to Hiei's Dragon of the Darkness Flame.”
 
“Correct, Youko Kurama. That is what Kurama stands for, is it not?” She didn't wait for his reply. “That was my Seven Dragons of the Violet Flame. Instead of only a single dragon, I use seven. However, it still only comes in second. For Hiei, I'm guessing he controls the black flare. Wielders of the Dragon of the Darkness Flame have little control over their single dragon, while I can control all seven as I see fit.” Lava made sure to watch Hiei out of the corner of her eye, but otherwise make no indication that she noticed him. Though she did take note that he was struggling. “But all this is besides the point. The real question is why were you following Ryo and I?”
 
“Where the hell is your passport?” Yusuke answered with his own question.
 
“Passport? I don't even know how I ended up in this world. Now, why were you following us?”
 
“We're Spirit Detectives, it's our job to keep demons who aren't welcome out of this world,” Yusuke explained.
 
“Spirit Detectives.” Lava repeated, testing the words out. “I've heard of you before, but I do not have anything feelings for you.”
 
“Now, what are you doing here!” Yusuke demanded impatiently.
 
“I've already answered that, Detective. I will not repeat myself,” Lava growled, becoming annoyed with people repeating questions that had already been answered.
 
“What happened before you ended up here?” Kurama's silky voice cut through the tense in the air.
 
Silver eyes met green ones as Lava debated on whether or not she should answer. Deciding that there was no harm, she answered his question. “I was thrown against a barrier, which I'm guessing was the Kakai barrier. The next thing I knew I was laying in an alleyway, in the human world.” Not once did she take her eyes from the fox.
 
“So you do not recall-” Kurama started but was stopped when Lava jumped away, barely avoiding Hiei's katana.
 
“Hiei! What the hell are you doing!” Yusuke tried to grab the quick fire demon as he continued his assault.
 
“Yusuke! Don't touch him! He's not himself!” Kurama stopped him before he could get to close to the fire demon.
 
“What do ya mean?” Kuwabara questioned, also stopping his forward rush.
 
“Hiei's going through a reproductive cycle right now. Meaning he's more dangerous than usual.” Right now, Kurama was just hoping to keep his head after Hiei's cycle was over. Hiei really did hate it when something was told about him that tried keeping to himself. “Hiei usually goes back to the demon world, but without any working portals, he couldn't get there.”
 
Both fire apparitions had disappeared in black blurs. Lava led Hiei through the city; leading him through parks, and even buildings at one point, and streets, in a game of tag. Finally, Lava led, or more like he gently herded her, towards the outer regions of the city and into the dense forest.