Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Defenseless ❯ Why make it simple when it can be tricky? ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I know, I know... most of you don't really want this story to end... but I really think the next chapter should end this not too messily...
 
Disclaimer: If I did own something, I would shout so to the world... Haven't heard anything on the news? That's your answer. I only own the plot and my OC, that's why it's not known world wide. :P
~*~*~*~*~*~
Chapter 9: Why make it simple when it can be tricky?
 
I've got time.” smiled Kurama, making himself comfortable on a chair.
 
Ok,” replied Sachi, the shadow of a smile visible on her lips as she playfully rolled her eyes, “it started the day I was born... Well I guess, I don't even know exactly when I was born...” she muttered to herself then continued.
 
Kurama blinked but said nothing, silently demanding for her to go on.
 
I guess my birthday's between December 31st and January 1st. I don't know, really...”
 
But, shouldn't it be on your birth certificate?” inquired the oh so smart Shuichi.
 
... Which I never could find.” nodded Sachi, “Yeah... go figure. Anyway,” she continued, “they thought I'd bring them misfortune or whatnots and kinda-- left me when I was about four. That's why I was living with that... crazy ass.” she muttered.
But didn't your brother had parents? I mean... brother.” he corrected himself.
 
Sachi shrugged, “Sure he did. Would've been better if his parents never existed in the first place so that they couldn't have invaded my house. But hell, it happened. His mom died of cancer, and his dad blamed it on me. Then he died in an accident... which left that asshole in charge.” said Sachi with an emotionless look.
 
But cancers-- happen. They can't be blamed on someone.”
 
Hey I know that. But apparently he didn't. He kept accusing me. I got so sick of it, I ran away for a week.”
 
Kurama gave her wide eyes, “You did!? And they didn't-- call the police or anything?”
 
Sachi shook her head, “Why would they? All they wanted was the house. I discovered that upon my return. They weren't too happy about me coming back. Not that I was happy to go back. But I kinda needed cash...” Kurama smiled at that. Wasn't that the universal truth? We all need money to survive. Sad that a piece of paper can save your life, literally.
 
Anyway, he was really mad when I came back and started beating the hell out of me -probably a reason I learned to kick ass at a relatively young age- and I ran away again. Except this time... he followed me out.” reminisced Sachi, the scene flashing back in front of her eyes.
 
I don't know why... but-- anger erupted within me. And-- I wasn't angry at all. I was scared... so scared. But then I was angry. Terribly angry... And I just remember... running in front of a truck, wanting for him to die.” whispered the black haired girl, her eyes blank, prisoner of a memory.
 
Next thing I know, I'm safe and sound on the road and there's this thing sticking on my clothes and skin... I guess my “dad” caught up to me and punched my head or something. I was alive. He was dead. So you see... I do bring bad luck to people... That's why I won't stick around.” sadly smiled Sachi.
 
Oh...” Kurama seemed at a loss of words, his brain still rumbling with the given information. “Please don't leave on m behalf. I can assure you I'll be quite alright. I won't chase you down a street.” he nearly sweat dropped.
 
Trying to be tough huh?” smirked Sachi before sighing, “No... it's just-- I don't trust myself. Never know what I can do until it's done.”
 
I see... But it doesn't explain... what makes you special.” blinked Kurama, tilting his head slightly.
 
... Well... if you hadn't picked it up, I wasn't angry when I ran out of the house. But when I was running in the middle of the street, I hated him. All my fear seemed to have been engulfed by hatred... I don't know where it came from, it just-- was...”
 
Hmm...” thought Kurama, one hand on his chin, two fingers pinching his bottom lip lightly. “I might have an idea, but I need to double check... and it might sound ridiculous to you but-- it could explain a lot of things.”
 
Frowning slightly, Sachi looked at him with interest. “If you found out... I'd call you an alien or a savior.”
 
Then let me find out.” smirked Kurama, quickly exiting the room, his communicator in his pocket. 1-800-KOENMA had the answer, he was sure of it!
 
Ten minutes and a few sighs later, Kurama was back in his chair. “I have the explanation... even though I won't force you to believe it if you find it too-- abstract.”
 
Abstract was one way to put it. Out of the realm of normality was more like it.
 
And--?”
 
You're... empathic to people's feelings...”
 
Blink.
 
... 'scuse me?”
 
Uh,” slightly frowned Kurama, trying to think of something to compare to in order to explain what she was, “you know how a sponge soaks up water?” Sachi nodded. “Then, think of yourself... as a sponge, for people's feelings...”
 
Blink. “O...k...” replied Sachi, eying him suspiciously.
 
Kurama raised his hands in defense, “I told you you didn't have to believe me!”
 
No I know... but I mean... is that all you have to say? I'm a sponge??” and she burst out laughing. Apparently, she was enjoying herself because she had to wipe one tear away. “I'm sorry... it's just-- I never expected someone to tell me something so stupid in such a serious manner.” and she laughed loudly again.
 
Well... I guess Kurama was a bit too serious about it, but it was no reason to laugh at him like that. How embarrassing. And there went his composed, calm and serene face. Gone. Like a wild brush fire. “Aww and you're blushing again.” pointed out Sachi, literally pointing her finger at his face.
 
Man... why did he have to be so-- embarrassed in front of a girl!? So he can beat up demons and put up with Yusuke's nonsense, but he blushed because of a simple girl? How lame is the world, seriously?
 
Kurama sighed, trying to ignore the blood rushing in his cheeks and he coughed, “But you're not just a sponge.” he stated in all seriousness. Sachi looked up at him questioningly.
 
I'm not? Oh good... nobody can use my blood to clean dishes then.” she smiled as if it made everything better.
 
No, you're not. You absorb people's feelings, but what you feel is about a hundred times greater.”
 
Sachi stared at him, and blinked once again. “... So what you're saying, is that I'm a giant sponge? Dude, I'm not that fat ok?” she replied, crossing her arms on her chest, her eyebrow twitching slightly. Seeing dear pretty boy almost face plant, Sachi laughed softly “Relax, I'm kidding alright?”
 
I know you are... can't you be serious for five minutes?” nearly begged Kurama, getting slightly irritated at her immature behavior.
 
No I'd rather not, what good does being serious all the time do to you? I don't want to end up like you -no offense- but having fun is... just that: more fun.”
 
'Yusuke, you have a greatfriend right here.' sighed Kurama, rubbing his forehead. Why did Sachi have to go and make simple enough situations seem impossible? She sure was similar to Yusuke: carefree. Unless-- he found something that could trigger her into being serious... The problem was: what?
 
... What would you say if you got a brand new, shiny motorcycle?” inquired Kurama innocently, his eyes smiling.
 
Sachi bit her top lip. “What brand?” she asked him, watching him intently. Questions questions. Go ahead and confuse him, see how well he fares in your trap.
 
'Smart one. Trying to test my knowledge and get what she wants... Well, let's not disappoint her.' “Whichever you want, from Suzuki to Honda.” he answered slyly.
 
'Damn... he caught it.' thought Sachi, propping her head on a hand. “Which color?” she kept on going. Who knows... maybe this would turn out rather interesting, maybe even amusing.
 
Black.” answered the fox without hesitating. After all, she liked to go out at night and her bike had been black. Logic is undeniable.
 
Sachi smirked, “What options?”
 
Crap, this was getting tough. Kurama didn't know much of the world of motorcycles. She got him. He raised both hands up, “Alright, alright... you win. I give up.”
 
A light chuckle met that official announcement, “Not persistent are you?”
 
In this domain, no.” admitted Kurama, standing up.
 
So remind me-- where is this conversation going?” inquired Sachi, looking up at him like a patient child who had all the time in the world to eat candy.
 
...” Kurama sweat dropped. 'I can't believe my short term memory fails me on that simple question...' he mentally sighed.
 
Sachi laughed light heartedly, “I thought so.” she smiled. She never felt so at ease with anyone before... This truly was a surprise. 'I haven't laughed so openly in front of anyone before...'
 
A pause established itself between the two teens, letting them bathe in awkwardness. So, who's up for strip poker? ... Just teasing, as if Sachi had time to play cards. Tch.
 
I'll go make some breakfast. I can imagine you'd be quite hungry after not eating for a couple days.” How sweet and caring, nothing out of the norm here, Shuichi is known for being a gentle man. (1)
 
A nod answered him, “Sounds good... but you'll have to carry it up here since I can't really walk yet...” replied Sachi, slightly frowning at her leg. Maybe she should try to walk...
 
Not a problem. I've got a tray.” he smiled back and left the room.
 
(1) Gentle man, gentleman... get it? >.> Yeah, lame pun but oh well... kind of funny?
~*~*~*~*~*~
My, my... what income of reviewers. o_o Thanks! I don't think this was the last chapter... I'll make another one, even if it's half shorter... just because I want to end it on a nice, round, even number... Who am I kidding? I write for me and the fans! (Don't forget the fans...) I hope you all liked this and... the next chapter, is the conclusion of this well liked story. I must say, it'll be the first *story* I ever complete.
 
Even though I realized-- I kind of ran out of idea at the end of this chapter... could you tell? =/ That's why it's shorter... Sorry, but I think I'm running into writer's block for the final chapter. Sucks huh? >.< Tell me about it.
 
carmelapple: I didn't even know it was down until I updated! ^^;; Informed that I am. >.> I'm glad you like it! More will come very, very soon!
 
kara mcpherson: Hey no problem! One reviewer is better than none. Besides, a review is a review, you say what you think and that should be more than enough. Of course critical reviewers would comment on-- say the grammar, punctuation, flow and all that stuff... but people rarely do. It's usually just plot. :P So don't worry! And I'm working... on that ending... >.>
 
fallen_angel_tears: Haha, I can't resist, your review was so funny. And so long. o.o I liked that! ^-^ Thank you! And... about that cliffhanger... >.> Hopefully that chapter explained a lot. (It should have-- I think) and... and... I'll be working on this until it's over so don't worry, you won't have to wait long... unless you're Hiei. :P
 
bee bee: Lol that's no problem. A review is a review even if it has only three words. ^^ I'm glad you liked it... and hopefully you liked this chapter too. :P
 
DamnBlackHeart: *bows* Thank you! Yeah I try to-- alternate and not make it too... sentimental... most stories do that, and it's not really what I shoot for in this story... I'm glad you like it! I don't know about the chapters being longer... maybe, and maybe not :P Depends how much I have to say. ^^;;
 
kahuffstix: Well, I hope this explained the superstition... >.> I think... and I was thinking “It's strange I didn't get a review from mediamier, usually she's pretty quick.” then I realized... I hadn't posted it. -.-x What a moron I am. ^^;; Forgive me?