Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Doesnt It Feel Like Christmas? ❯ A Visit From The Christmas Dog! ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]



Late that night, about 9 o'clock , Yuske and Kuwabara were walking through the snow playing "ding-dong ditch" on random people. Which was a game where they'd ring someones doorbell and then run away before the resident opened the door.


"Okay, which house should we do next?"asked Kuwabara still chuckling over the last one. Yuske looked around at the neighborhood.


"Hey! What about that raggedy house over there!"said Yusk pointing to the jacked up home.


"Yeah, okay!"said Kuwabara running over to the house but Yuske quickly stopped.


"Hey, wait!"he quickly said with this surprised look on his face.


"What?"


"Isnt that Zinnia?"asked Yuske pointing over to the reddish colored wolf in front of the house. It was odd because she had a rope tied to her collar with a wagon on the end of it.


"Yeah, that is Zinnia!"whispered Kuwabara. "What's she doing?"asked the spirit detective.


"Beats me."started Yuske. "Let's spy on her."


"Yeah! Let's pretend we're secret agents!"



Zinnia in wolf form stared at the door. It looked kinda beaten up. And it was probaly locked. Of course, the smartest thing to do was knock........with only paws....so instead she knocked by headbutting onto the door. The door cracked open. Zinnia blinked. She guessed it wasnt locked. She slowly entered the house pulling along the wagon like some kind of sled dog. She looked around. A house of poverty. She was gonna write a letter to city hall about this. She looked around some more. No christmas tree. How can you have christmas without a tree? She supposed that she'll just have to set the gifts in the middle of the living room. She carefully picked up a present by the pretty red bow and gently placed it on the floor. She did this again and again with the others. She was completely unaware of Yuske and Kuwabara watching her through the window.


"I dont believe this...."whispered Yuske as he watched Zinnia throught he window.


"I do."started Kuwabara. "Zinnia is very giving."he explained.



Once Zinnia finished she stared at the several gifts on the floor. Six of them. Two for the mother, 2 for the little boy and 2 for the little girl. She was startled by the sound of a stair creaking. She quickly looked for a place to hide, but it was no use. The fact that she had the wagon still tied to her would make it very difficult. "Is someone there?"asked a soft, gentle voice. Zinnia turned to the stairs to see a little girl sleepily coming down the stairs carefully holding on to the railing. The little girl gasped as she gazed upon the beauitful, wrapped presents in the middle of her living room.......but what was more shocking was the wolf staring up at her. "Y-you came!"cried the little girl hurrying down the steps. The next thing Zinnia knew, she was in the loving hug of a small child. "I cant believe you came! I was gonna give up hope!"she said tearfully. Zinnia looked confused.


"I wonder what she's talking about......"thought the wolf to herself.


"What's all that noise about, sis?"asked a voice as the older brother came down the stairs. His eyes widened. "MOM!"he screamed calling up the stairs for his mother. "Mom! You're not gonna believe this!". he then ran down the stairs to get a closer look at the presents. He then saw Zinnia. "Is that the......."


"See?! I told you the Christmas Dog was real! But you didnt believe me! She's real!"she shouted stilling snuggling Zinnia. her brother just stared in awe.


"Wow...."was all that he could say.


"Christmas Dog?"thought Zinnia. "What's that?"she turned her attention back to the stairs when she heard for footsteps. It was the mother. At the sight of the wolf she let out an ear shattering shriek.


"Oh my gosh, how did that dog get in her here?!"she screamed reaching for the broom. The little girl gasped.


"Mommy, no!"she pleaded. "This is the Christmas Dog."the woman paused.


"What?"


"This is the Christmas Dog, Mommy. I told you she'd come this year!"


"And look! She brought us presents!"said the little boy pointing to the gifts laying in the middle of the floor! The mother gazed at the beautifully wrapped presents.


"This is unbelievable...."she said.


"Can we open them now, Mommy? Pretty please?"asked the little girl.


"I suppose so."


"Yay!"the little girl finally let go of Zinnia and placed herself in front of the presents. Zinnia gently pushed two neatly wrapped gifts up to the little girl with her nose. She then pushed 2 more to the little boy and the last 2 to the mother.


"Wow! She even got presents for you, Mom."said the little boy before opening his first gift. His eyes widened.


"What is it, big brother?" the little boy pulled out his gift.


"It's a hand held radio with headhphones! And it's even batteries included too!"he outbursted holding his present up in the air. He set it back down in the box and quickly ripped open the second gift. He frowned. He pulled it out. "A sweater."he said uninterested as he stared at the blue sweater. His mother laughed.


"A sweater is exactly what you need, sweetheart."she turned to her daughter. "Why dont you open your presents, dear?"


"Okay!"said the little girl before opening her first gift. She quickly pulled out a large, pink stuffed bunny. "Oh my gosh! I love it!"she said snuggling it.


"How adorable!"said the mother. "What are you going to call her?"the little girl thought for a second.


"I'll call her.......Candy!" Zinnia's tail wagged in delight.


"That's a nice name."she thought. Now the little girl turned her attention to her second gift. She gently set Candy down and opened it. Just like her brother she had gotten a sweater too. Except hers was pink.


"Thank you, Christmas Dog!"said the little girl hugging Zinnia again.


"Thank you, Christmas Dog!"said the little boy hugging Zinnia as well. Now all that was left was the mother's presents.


"Mommy, why dont you open your presents?"suggested the little girl. The mother stared at the 2 unopened gifts before her.


"Oh, yes.......I suppose I should."she said before slowly unwrapping her first gift. Everyone watched closely. The mother gasped at what was inside. "Its.....its....its....a turkey." Her two children stared drooling at the uncooked bird. Zinnia pushed the second gift up to her. She stood there panting and wagging her tail happily. The woman looked down at her. She gently stroked her head. The mother unwrapped the last gift and looked inside. She blinked.


"What's inside, Momma?"asked the little boy. The woman took out a piece of paper.


"It's a piece of paper........with a phone number on it."


"Who's number is it?"he asked.


"I dont know.....I'll be sure to call it though."she petted Zinnia once again. "Thank you, Christmas Dog." Knowing she did something good, Zinnia's heart felt warm and fuzzy inside. She turned to the wagon which still was tied to her with the rope. She carefully gnawed through it. She pushed it up to the 2 kids.


"We can have the wagon too?!"asked the little girl excited. Zinnia nodded. "Yay!"she hugged Zinnia for the third time. "I love you, Christmas Dog." Zinnia licked the little girl's face before leaving out the front door which was left open. The little girl ran up to the doorway. "Where are you going?!"she cried. Her mother picked her up.


"Maybe she's going home, sweetheart."