Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Enma's Torment Theatre ❯ Episode Three: The Messenger From the Seashore ( Chapter 3 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Enma’s Torment Theatre
Episode Three: The Messenger from the Seashore
Story: Underneath the Rough Exterior
Story By: Draconia (Thank you!)
MSTed by: Chrissy Sky

News: Today (the day I started msting this) I went to buy material for my Hiei costume. Hurray! Very pretty material too.

Admittedly, this fic isn’t as bad as some others, but I do requests and this *was.* So, you know… *shrugs* Ah well, onto the fluffy stuff and riffs.

(The title is an odd reference to Kaworu Nagisa from Evangelion.)

*

Hiei stood in the doorway for a moment, pausing. The events of the previous two missions mentally flashed before his eyes. A lot of anger, a lot of blushing, scornful words… and a few nice words too.

*“I want to have sex with Hiei.”*

Did he mean it? Hiei shook his head. No, he couldn’t. He’d been playing again. Kurama liked playing, but in his games only the fox knew the rules.

The redheaded half-human lay in his bed asleep. He had a habit of sleeping heavily. It was like he was dead to the world. Hiei watched that peaceful face and thought. *What is it he makes me feel? Has he always made me feel this way? Or is this new?* How could it be new though? Surely there were hints before, little things about the fox spirit he had just ignored. His startling beauty, elegance he carried with him even during a fight. Blood red hair that was more a mane than anything human. Green eyes as deep and haunting as a forest. Those eyes were closed now as the owner continued to sleep, but even so, he could see them clearly in his mind. Staring at him kindly.

*Some might compare him to a rose, what with the red hair. But that is just a plant that dies eventually. Kurama is far more intangible than that. No one can hope to cut his stem and stick him in a vase. He’s just… him. There are no words for me to describe him.*

He walked into the room and shook Kurama’s shoulder hard. “Wake up, Imp.”

Kurama’s eyes blinked open, then tried to focus on him. “Hiei? What are you doing in my house?” He looked over at the window and saw it was closed and locked. Hiei followed his gaze.

“I broke in,” Hiei admitted. “From downstairs. Your security sucks.”

Kurama laughed softly. “And why did you do that?”

“I want coffee.” He added, just to make sure, “And don’t be stingy on the creamer.”

“Okay.”

“I mean it.”

Kurama smiled at him then threw off his covers. Hiei stared as the naked redhead made his way to the bathroom across the hallway.

*I don’t know whether to laugh or cry…* He sighed and went downstairs.

*

Kurama came down soon after, dressed appropriately. It had been a whole week since their last mission, but it was the weekend and they expected to be back in the theatre within the hour. At least that’s what they’d been told by Botan.

He blinked as he saw Hiei sitting at the counter table, a cup of steaming coffee in his hand and a small bottle of creamer near his elbow. There was another cup across the table waiting for the Youko.

“Hiei, you’re so considerate,” he said appreciatively, sitting down across the fire demon. He studied his friend as Hiei spouted off some excuse about not wanting to drink black coffee because Kurama was hiding the cream, so he’d had to make it himself. *I think something’s bothering him. Must be the upcoming mission. Though he seems a little nervous too…*

“Hey, fox, are you listening to me?” Hiei snapped, red eyes narrowing.

Kurama’s lips twitched in an all too familiar smile, visible to his friend over the rim of the cup. “Of course I am. Your voice is soothing.”

Hiei nearly dropped his cup.

Kurama laughed. “I couldn’t help myself, I’m sorry.” Hiei just stared at him. “I meant it though. You have a nice voice.” Now the fire demon looked away. Kurama laughed again, a little softer. “I remember fondly when I heard you singing. Thought you were all alone, didn’t you?”

Hiei met his eyes suddenly. There was something in those cherry orbs he didn’t ever remember seeing before. “I *was* alone, until I met you.”

Kurama got the feeling that they weren’t talking about Hiei singing anymore. *Is he saying what I think he’s saying?* He took another sip of his rapidly cooling beverage and opened his mouth to speak when there was a knocking on his backdoor. The two demons turned to look at a happily smiling azure-haired young woman waving at them.

Hiei glared at her and sighed. “It just figures.” *I was about to tell him my developing feelings. I was about to do it, about to make Yuusuke and all those fangirl writers right. Why?*

Kurama chuckled. “Yes, it does.”

*Because he’s… him. He’s the same as me, but different. A wild wind…*

*

The Reikai Tantei stood in the lobby of the now-recognizable theatre. Koenma stood in front of them.

“Before we start today I’d like for you to meet some important people.” The little godling snapped his fingers and a door opened. “They’re visitors from a world parallel to the three worlds we are in now, and are old friends of my father.” He frowned. “Well, not really friends… More like old acquaintances. I don’t think they get along too well.”

Two young women entered the room. One had incredibly long, multi-colored hair with a dominance of periwinkle in her tresses. She was dressed all in black and wore a necklace whose pendant was shaped into a scythe. Her companion was dressed in white and brown robes, her face covered by a ratty cloak hood. She had normal hair; brunette.

The multi-colored hair girl stopped in front of Hiei. The brunette walked around Koenma, seemingly interested in the food stand. Hiei kept close eyes on them both.

“Would you look at something for me, Hiei Fire-Demon?” asked the girl in front of him. Before he could answer she brought out a picture of Kurama in the shower. He stared in shock and Kurama gasped in outrage. The next second he found something being clasped around his neck. He whirled on the brunette, who had snuck behind him to place some sort of collar around him, but before he could attack and seriously maim her, a tremor sensation ran up his arm.

He shivered and glared at the girl. “What did you do?”

The other members of the Reikai Tantei took stances for battle. Kuwabara already had his Rei Ken out.

“Don’t worry!” Koenma ordered. “They’ve done this for a reason. My father ordered them to, because of today’s fic.”

The four boys whirled on the small godling. “What do you mean? What’s today’s fic?” Yuusuke questioned, angry that they had been tricked.

Koenma mumbled something.

“Excuse me?” Hiei demanded.

“Kuwabara/Hiei.”

His red eyes turned wild, mad. He screamed, pulled out his katana, and prepared to rush at the little god when the collar sent another shock through him, this time along his spine. He dropped his katana in surprise and whirled on the multi-colored hair girl. “What does this thing do?”

“Hi, my name is DT, nice to meet you,” she said, smiling. Hiei’s glare turned darker and she answered his question hurriedly. “Well, we made it a few years ago when we were torturing our own MSTers. It basically bonds with a person’s body. If the wearer is about to strike someone or use his ki, he is stopped. The more they struggle against it, the more the shock hurts. It won’t leave any lasting effects, if that’s what you’re worried about, Kurama-san.” The redhead blinked at her, surprised at being addressed. “Koenma-chan has promised that by the end of the day it will be removed.”

Hiei glared at the junior god. “Don’t think I won’t take my revenge.”

“I think…” said the brunette softly from behind him. “I think that you should look at this as you did your first mst. It’s not real so don’t let it bother you.” She flashed a humorous smile. “Even if it’s with the baka ningen.”

DT nodded in agreement. “Yes! Even if it’s the baka ningen!” she echoed, giggling.

Kuwabara glared at the two girls. “Hey, you two are humans too!” They felt like humans, but they smiled at him widely and he suddenly doubted. “Aren’t you?”

To answer him, they both disappeared with a popping sound.

“Well, that was weird,” Yuusuke commented. He stuffed his hands in his pockets. “Let’s go and get it over with.”

“I think I’m gonna be sick,” Kuwabara moaned. “Me and *the shrimp!* I hope my dear Yukina doesn’t hear about this.”

Hiei passed by Koenma coldly into the theatre. Kurama followed, but paused to look down at the pacifier-wielding god levelly.

“The fic wasn’t my idea, it was my dad!” Koenma pleaded.

Kurama nodded. “I’ll tell Hiei that, but you know what he’s like when he’s pissed off.”

- Theatre -
[Not having any food today, the four sit from left to right, as before: Kuwabara, Yuusuke, Hiei, and Kurama. I announce it not because I think you’ll forget but out of sheer habit. ^_^]

Kuwa: I AM going to be sick.
Hiei: Shut up already. I don’t like it any better than you. Just tell
yourself it’s not real. You love… Yukina. [grimaces] Just think about her.
Kuwa: [nods] Okay.
Yuusuke: The apocalypse *is* coming, Hiei’s giving the idiot advice.
Kurama: You didn’t see how Hiei behaved during Kuwabara’s training. He didn’t push Kuwabara hard enough because of his honor.
Hiei: Of course *you* had no problem with that.
Kurama: [smiles] Sorry, Kuwa.
Kuwa: That’s okay. I learned more from you anyway.
Hiei: [glares]

>Underneath the Rough Exterior

Yuusuke: [cackles] Oh, it’s about Hiei alright!
Kurama: Inari, he’s going to enjoy this…
Kuwa: I wish we could bring some beer in here with us…

>by Draconia

Yuusuke: Thank you!
Kuwa: [hick voice] Don’t come back now, ya’ hear?
Kurama: Draco, Latin for Dragon.
Hiei: Shut up.

>Pairings: Kuwabara/Hiei,

Yuusuke: Kuwabara, you dog.
Kuwa: [is turning green]
Kurama: Why, I never knew…
Hiei: I’ll get you later, imp.
Yuusuke: [grins even more madly] New nickname?
Kurama: [shrugs] Guess so, he called me that this morning.
Hiei: [blushes; he probably didn’t notice he’d called him by that new nickname. Poor Hiei.]

>mild Kurama/Yukina

Yuusuke: Huh?!
Kuwa and Hiei: STAY AWAY FROM YUKINA!
Kurama: [ducks away from them] It’s not me!!
Yuusuke: What did you guys do, switch partners?

>Disclaimers: I DON'T OWN YYH!!!

Kurama: Thank god; this could all be real.
Hiei: YYH?
Kurama: Yu Yu Hakusho abbreviated.
Hiei: Oh…
Kurama: It’s the name of our show.
Hiei: Oh!

>May have a bit of OOC as you read on!!

Kuwa: OOC?
Kurama: The characters within the story are out of character.
Hiei: Yes, we are.

>Chapter One

Yuusuke: The beginning.
Kuwa: Ugh.

>Hiei slowly walked through the park.

Hiei: Yes, I *can* walk.
Kurama: [pats his shoulder]

>He didn't know why he was here,

Yuusuke: He’d gotten amnesia.
Kurama: That or he’s questioning his existence in the universe.

>he didn't want to think about it either. His mind was already preoccupied with last nights events.

Yuusuke: If they are what I think they are, he *would* be. He has to think up a good excuse for cheating on Kurama.
Hiei: [blurts out] I’d never cheat on Kurama!
Kurama: [blinks at him] [Hiei blushes]
Yuusuke: [sees this and smirks]

>Harsh words made him feel as if he was going to crack open like a porcelain doll.

Hiei: Just ignore it.

>He didn't let on that they hurt,

Kurama: He always hides his injuries, if he can.
Hiei: Not from you, obviously.
Kurama: I had to check on you! You won’t let anyone else near you!
Yuusuke: [thinks] You know, you two were gone a rather long time during our fight with Ichigaki. And after our fight with Mashyosukai.
Hiei: Shut up.

>but inside he was screaming at him to stop saying those things.

Kuwa: He’s insulting himself?
Kurama: Yes, it’s his favorite pastime to beat himself up.
Hiei: [glares at him]
Yuusuke: “Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself…”

>His father never understood him anyway.

Hiei: My what?! I don’t *have* a father!
Kurama: That must have been interesting for your mother.
Hiei: [punches his shoulder] You know what I meant! And don’t talk about my mother!!
[Kurama looks hurt]
Yuusuke: [Shinji] So, you’re telling me to take this thing and go out there and fight?
Kuwa: That just sounds wrong, Urameshi.
Yuusuke: [smirks] Shinji meant Eva Unit 01. Not *that.*

>He cherished his little Yukina.

Yuusuke: [gets an image of Gendo and Rei] Ewwwww!
Kurama: That reminds me of the main plot of Maze: the Mega-Burst Space…

>So did he, but Yukina enjoyed Hiei's attention more than her father's.

Kurama: Yes, definitely Maze.
Yuusuke: Wait, Akira and Mei were brother and sister and they were… Eww…
Kurama: And their father tried to keep them apart.
Yuusuke: Eww.

>His father made accusations without bases.

Kuwa: That’s some messed up Baseball game.
Yuusuke: [Gendo] If you are going to do it, do it now. If not then leave.
Kurama: Quit that, Yuusuke. It’s unnerving.
Yuusuke: [grimaces] I know.

>When he was younger a broken vase was his fault even if his abusive father knocked it off.

Yuusuke: [Tohji] Sorry, newcomer. I had to hit you to work off my own anger.
Kurama: This is more like Maze than Evangelion.
Yuusuke: I calls it as I sees it.

>Hiei was forced to move with both his father and his sister to Tokyo, Japan.

Yuusuke: [Misato] This is Tokyo 3. This is our city.
Kurama: Yuusuke…

>He moved here almost eight years ago.

Yuusuke: From birth his records were destroyed. Just like Ayanami Rei…
Kurama: You’re getting out of hand.

>Hiei was seven.

Kuwa: That’s his shoe size.
Hiei: I don’t mind killing you right now.
Kurama: Yukina would cry.
Hiei: Irk…
Kurama: [murmurs] Besides, you wear a six.
Hiei: What was that?
Kurama: Nothing.

>Yukina and him

Kurama: He and Yukina. It’s alright to put it the other way around since
no one is talking.

>both wanted to stay with his father's mother but it was out of the question. Of course if it was Yukina, and only her, he wouldn't mind to let stay with her grandmother.

Yuusuke: Why anyone would want to stay with Genkai is beyond me. I’m always so glad to leave.
Kurama: Some apprentice you are.

>Hiei walked slowly until he came to a tree. He climbed up it,

Hiei: I am NOT a cat.
Yuusuke: [grins] We could hardly tell.

>making a hole in the knee of his jeans bigger.

Kuwa: Huh?
Kurama: Kind of awkward, but it could be because I’m still a little groggy. “Making the hole above the kneecap in his jeans bigger.” Or something.

>He didn't care though. His lip had stopped bleeding and his black eye felt numb.

Kuwa: He got in another fight?
Kurama: Not surprising.

>He didn't care at all. He just sat in the tree and stared at nothing.

Yuusuke: Then what’s the point of staring?
Kurama: A figure of speech.

>"I don't understand," he said to himself softly.

Yuusuke: [Shinji] I thought you didn’t want me! Why? Why did you call me now, Father?!

>The events came through in instant reply through his mind. It bothered
him too...

Yuusuke: [holds up a sign of Shinji Ikari as a child playing in a sandbox
making a pyramid]
Kurama: Yuusuke, QUIT IT! The movie still makes me confused.
Yuusuke: Actually, End of Eva makes more sense than the show -
Kurama: Not right now, Fanboy.

>Hiei sat with his sister at the kitchen table. Both had an essay due in history and needed to finish it by tomorrow.

Hiei: Essay? What the fuck?!
Kurama: Oh I get it. It’s an AU.
Kuwa: Huh?
Kurama: This story exists in a separate timeline from our own; an alternative universe.
[all three of them are confused still. Kurama sighs]

>Yukina was compiling hers onto the piece of notebook paper she was using as an outline and Hiei was revising his.

Kurama: “On the religious symbolism in Sailor Moon.”
Yuusuke: Huh?
Kurama: Some girl did a Senior paper with that title, I believe, and has it posted online.
Yuusuke: Religious symbolism… Maybe S season, but I don’t remember any of the others having too much of it… [Ikuhara. Ikuhara. Ikuhara…]

>The phone rang and their mother answered it.

Yuusuke: “The Phone That Never Rings.”
Kurama: [hangs his head]
Yuusuke: [Fuyutsuki] Say hello to Yui for me.
Kurama: That’s it! No more End of Evangelion jokes, at the very least!

>"Hiei!" he called to him "Phone!"

Kuwa: He? His mother’s transsexual?
Hiei: Maybe I have two fathers, and one just goes by “mother.”
Kurama: Cute, but I don’t think that’s what happened. “Mother” was probably supposed to be “father.” Or “he” was supposed to be “she.”

>Hiei stood up and walked out into the living room where the other phone was kept. He picked it up.

Yuusuke: “What’s your favorite scary movie?”
Hiei: Phantasm.
Yuusuke: [throws his head back and laughs]

>"Moshi Moshi?" he spoke. It was his only friend here, Kurama or Suichii by his family.

Yuusuke: That’s a bit awkward.
Kurama: At least I’m not the only person who noticed this time. Perhaps, “Kurama, or as his family called him, Shuiichi.” And there *is* an h there, even if you don’t spell it with three i’s.

>"Did you see where I put my notes in history?" Kurama asked over the phone. Hiei rolled his eyes at the nervousness in his voice.
>"Yeah. My backpack," Hiei retorted monotonous.

Yuusuke: Wa-wa-waaaa!
Kurama: I didn’t get through high school with A’s *and* being a Reikai Tantei by being forgetful.
Hiei: [smirks] What about the time I dropped by and scared the hell out of your fan base?
Kurama: [laughs] That was funny…
Yuusuke: When did this happen?
Kurama: I forgot to leave the window open so he could sneak inside while mother was away and grab himself something to eat. So he came to school to embarrass me.
Hiei: It didn’t work.
Kurama: No. I don’t like those girls anyway. They’re nice, but I wouldn’t consider them friends.

>"Oh... Oops," Kurama laughed at himself.

Yuusuke: [Dumbed down Kurama] Me so dumb, me forget notes, put them in friend’s backpack…

>"I'll bring them over, Kurama," Hiei and Kurama said goodbye and then hung up.

Yuusuke: Yeah, Kurama is *hung* I’m sure.
Kurama: [hits him]
Hiei: He *is.* [most likely remembering this morning]
Kurama: [blushes as red as his hair]
[Yuusuke laughs it up]

>They went to study at the library together and Kurama had an English essay to do that was due the same day as Hiei's history.

Yuusuke: They’re learning about Hiei’s history? Whoa, that would be an interesting course. Even though I *hate* school. Don’t think I don’t.
Hiei: My past is none of your concern.

>Kurama went to a different school than the others.

Yuusuke: Until the Stars season, then they all went to the same high school and could serve detention together.
Kurama: It was Super S in the manga.
Yuusuke: Pfft. I don’t pay attention to the manga or I get even more confused.

>"DAD!! I'M GOING OVER TO SUICHII'S!!" Hiei called up to her.

[the Reikai Tantei waits for their hair to return to normal, as it was blown by the sudden wind gust]
Hiei: A little louder next time, a few people in the Makai didn’t hear me!
Yuusuke: They installed the Surround Sound while we were gone, didn’t they? My poor ears… And it did it again, it said his dad was a woman.
Kurama: [shrugs] Ignore it.

>"Whatever!" his father called back.

Kurama: Could you get anymore obvious that he doesn’t care about his son?
Yuusuke: [Gendo] Rei, go to Dogma and get the lance.

>Hiei rolled his eyes and waved at his twin. She smiled back and handed him Kurama's neat and organized folder of notes.

Kurama: If they’re not organized then what’s the point of having them?
Yuusuke: Hiei, tell your boyfriend to give his brain a rest sometime. He’ll fry it with stress and he’ll lose sperm count or something…
Kurama: [hits him]

>"Moron," Hiei commented before leaving.

Kuwa: Shrimp, did you just call Yukina a moron?
Hiei: I thought I called Kurama a moron.
Yuusuke: No, it was his dad. I know because I always insult Gendo.
Kurama: *Everyone* insults Gendo while watching that show.

>By the time he came back home, his father was standing in the hallway.

Yuusuke: With a poodle in one arm and a two foot salami in the other…
Kurama: Hiei saw his father when the elevator doors opened. They looked at
each other and didn’t move. The doors closed again.
Yuusuke: [blinks, then starts laughing] I thought you didn’t want us using Evangelion riffs!
Kurama: You missed it, I caught it. Nothing more.

>He crept inside, not sure if he was in a good or bad mood. His answer came swiftly. Bad mood. Hiei collapsed on the floor, blood leaking from his busted lip.

Kuwa: How did he get a busted lip?
Hiei: Obviously, baka, that asshole just hit me.
Yuusuke: Hiei, you may be the Anthy Himemiya of this fic.
Hiei: Huh?
Kurama: She gets slapped a lot.

>"Dad?" Hiei stood up and looked at him.

Yuusuke: [Luke] Search your feelings, father. You can’t feel this. Feel the conflict within you and let go of your hate!
Kurama: [Vader] It’s too late for me, my son.

>"Where were you?!? Your sister has been worried sick!" he yelled at him. Yukina gave an apologetic look from behind before it turned into worry. Hiei collapsed back onto the ground when a blow meant for the stomach hit his chest,

Hiei: He can’t be my father. He has bad aim.
Kuwa: Aim is genetic?
Yuusuke: [shrugs]

>knocking the wind out of him.

Kurama and Hiei: [sing] Like the wind, we’re just shooting to dream…

>"I was at..." he was kicked on the ground. Yukina tried to stop him but Hiei's pleading eyes held her back.
>"Where?!?" he yelled again.

Yuusuke: Hiei yelled?
Kurama: Unclear who’s speaking… At least the grammar is okay.

>"Suichii's! I was at Suichii's!!" Hiei yelled, shielding himself from another blow.

Hiei: I never call him Shuiichi. Even if Shiori is around. I just artfully avoid calling him by name.

>"Figures...

Yuusuke: Yes, it does.
Kuwa: This guy probably doesn’t like homosexuals either… Seems that type.
Yuusuke: Aa.

>Get up!" his father yelled at him. He complied and stood up, glaring at him.

Kuwa: His father complied?
Yuusuke: “Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself.”

>"Don't look at me like that, brat!"

Hiei: Like what?
Kurama: Like you’re better than they are. You do that to everyone.

>he was punched in the face again, leaving him with a black eye. Hiei breathed in short gasps as he knelt down. He glared back at the older man's retreating back Yukina ran up to him and helped him stand.
>"Hiei? Hiei!" he didn't respond.

Kurama: “He” should be capitalized, since it’s not him who’s talking…

>He had slipped into unconsciousness.

Yuusuke: Reminds me of when Heero Yuy fell into that coma.
Kurama: [Heero to Trowa] “I’ve got a concussion, I’m flat on my back, and you’re leaving?!”
Kuwa: Huh?
Kurama: Something I read once on Shinigami.org… I think. It’s closed down now. [Sadly. That was my favorite GW site. It had the funniest shit in the world.]

>He hated his father.

Yuusuke: [waves] Hi, Shinji!

>He loved Yukina.

Kurama: Hi, Man Maze!

>He'd do anything to protect her,

Kurama: Not too out of character there.

>but would do anything to see his father out of his life.

Hiei: Kill him.

>Not so much as dead, something close to that.

Hiei: No, just kill him. It’ll make you feel a lot better.
Kurama: Hiei…

>Prison would be enough for him. He was his father after all.

Yuusuke: Prison: The Only Place for Fathers.
Kurama: Can’t think of anything better than that?
[Ironically enough, tonight was Thursday and that’s when my dad goes out to drink. I hate that.]

>He looked down from the tree to see Kurama looking up at him.
>"Been here long, Hiei?" Kurama asked.

Kurama: [sings] It’s been awhile since I fucked things up/ Just like I always do…
Yuusuke: [Hiei] Long enough to get stuck up here. Call the firemen to get me down.
Hiei: [grumbles]

>"What are you doing here?" Hiei asked in an emotionless voice.

Kurama: [before Yuusuke can say anything] To fuck you silly.
[Yuusuke, Hiei, and Kuwabara stare at him]

>"Yukina said you weren't in school and you were fine last night. I figured that something might have happened after you left my house. Apparently, I was right," Kurama jumped up into the tree and sat next to Hiei.

Kurama: I just hopped up there?
Hiei: Now who’s the cat?
Yuusuke: “He makes tall leaps in a single bound…”

>"Your sister called me. She was worried when you ran off this morning."

Yuusuke: Running instead of flitting…

>"What time is it?" Hiei asked curiously, but seeming uninterested.

Kuwa: Tool Time!
Yuusuke: Time for you to get a watch…

>"Five 'til five," said Kurama. "Been out here all day?"

Yuusuke: So far, yes.
Kurama: And we want to go home.
Hiei: I just want this damn collar off.

>"Yeah," he replied softly.
>"C'mon, I get you something to eat at my place.

Yuusuke: I bet it’s ice cream.

>You can spend the night and I can get your lip cleaned up a bit."

Yuusuke: With his -
Kurama: My tongue, I know, I know.
Yuusuke: [stares]
Hiei: [blushes lightly] You okay, Kurama?
Kurama: I just want to go home now…
Kuwa: What’s bothering him?
Hiei: I think the fic is pissing him off… [pats Kurama’s shoulder]

>Hiei complied with him and followed him home.

Yuusuke: Like a stray cat.
Hiei: Shut up!

>He didn't want to go back to his house anyway. He was afraid of what might happen. Whatever it was, it wouldn't be gone when he came home tomorrow from Kurama's house, the only safe haven he knew off.

Yuusuke: Awww! Even if you do get fucked by Kuwabara, that’s so cute!
Hiei: [tries to hit him, but he feels that sensation again] Arrrggh…

>* * *

Yuusuke: Stage fright, go away /This is my big day /This is my time to be a star!
Kurama: [screams and hits him with a seat cushion] Don’t sing Minmei! Anything but Minmei!
Yuusuke: Gees, okay, okay, calm down.
Hiei: [pulls Kurama back into his chair] Easy, fox…
[What? You never seen Robotech? That woman is more annoying than Relena.]

>"So what happened?" Kurama asked him as he ate slowly. He didn't want to let on that he was famished, it wasn't like him. His pride stood in the way of a lot of things, and yet the walls stood in more.

Kuwa: Huh?
Kurama: Actually, that seems a bit too proud, even for me. If I’m *that* hungry -
Hiei: Fox, save it.

>"Nothing," Hiei replied blankly.

Yuusuke: [Misato] When you say “nothing” like that it always means something!

>He slowly ate

Kurama: Look, another trend.

>the steamed rice in front of him even slower when Kurama asked the next question.

Yuusuke: [Kurama] You gonna eat all of that?
Kuwa: Didn’t they eat rice in Just a Favor?
[Hiei and Kurama stare in shock as, yes, they remember they *had*]

>"It's gone on for too long.

Kurama: That wasn’t a question.
Yuusuke: [Kurama] It’s been too long since you last came to me, my little fire demon…

>What if he hits your sister?" Kurama gave him a hard look.

Hiei and Kuwa: IF HE DOES, HE’S DEAD!
Yuusuke: [points to his ear] A little louder, I can still hear out of this one!

>"He wouldn't. Yukina is their precious child. Remember? I am the Forbidden Child," Hiei retorted, fear not so much evident in his voice but more in his eyes.

Hiei: [growls] It’s uncomforting that all these ningens know about me.
Kurama: I thought so too at first, but at least this way if and when we die, we’ll in fact still be alive, because of these fan girls who believe in us.
Hiei: [wide eyed] Hn…

>Shiori walked in and smiled at the boys. She then frowned at the bruise over Hiei's eye. She didn't say anything but start humming and going back to her usual daily chores.

Kurama: Huh? What do you mean she didn’t say anything? Hiei’s sitting there at the table with a bruised eye! *My* mother would have definitely said something.
Hiei: Then it’s not Shiori. Don’t worry about it.

>She wouldn't do anything about it, Kurama thought to himself. Shiori didn't feel comfortable around Hiei for some reason, but she was to polite to mention it. Only if he showed her disrespect would she mention anything.

Kurama: What the fuck?!
Hiei: [puts an arm around him] It’s not your mother, fox…
Kurama: Shiori’s good name is at stake! This is an outrage!
Yuusuke: [watches with a knowing smile as Hiei calms the Youko down]

>Hiei wasn't around long enough for that kind of thing to happen so it always passed by.

Yuusuke: So why mention it?
Kuwa: Shiori-san isn’t like that. This Shiori sounds like a bitch…
Kurama: [is gripping the armrests of his seat tightly, menacingly staring at the fic]

>"Meet anyone at your new school? Since you got transferred you haven't said anything about anyone there,"

Yuusuke: Hiei doesn’t talk about a lot of things.
Hiei: With reason.

>Kurama made conversation light given heed to the fact that Hiei saw the change in Shiori.

Hiei: From one of the nicest ningens I’ve met to mega-bitch?
Kurama: [his ears are starting to extend and his hair is inking away, slowly, from red to silver]

>"Bunch of morons, actually," he said.

Yuusuke: He thinks that about all ningens.
Hiei: Not all of them. Just the ones I have to work with.
Kuwa: Chibi Youkai.
Hiei: Baka ningen.
Yuusuke: You’ve lost your usual malice. Both of you.
Hiei: Too damn tired to care.

>"Do the morons have names?" Kurama inquired.

Kurama: [calms down and his hair and ears go back to normal] I sense a set up for a joke coming along.
Kuwa: What joke?

>"Kuwabara Kazuma and Urameshi Yuusuke."

Kurama: That one.
Kuwa: [grumbles]

>* * *

Yuusuke: [singing] Both the stars that fall mysteriously and the cold wind... /Secretly, nature conveys an important message.

>"Hey! Urameshi!" a tall man with an odd hair style in a blue school uniform came up behind him and clasped a hand on his shoulder.

Kuwa: What tall man with odd hair?
Hiei: I’ll give you one guess.
Kuwa: Shrimp!

>"What?!" Yuusuke asked annoyed. That was when Kuwabara noticed Keiko smiling at the two boys.

Kuwa: Keiko is the tall man with odd hair?
Hiei: Baka ningen! It’s you!
Kurama: Well, the writing was confusing, you can’t truly blame him for that one.
Hiei: Yes, I can.

>"Oh..." then he noticed Yukina. "Excuse me!" and off Kuwabara went.

Kurama: Capitalize then and and.

>He stopped though when he saw her brother walking in.
>"Afraid?" Yuusuke teased.

Hiei: Obviously.
Kuwa: I am Kazuma Kuwabara and I’m not afraid of anything!
Hiei: Except for spiders, rats, and a few other things I can’t think of right now…
Kuwa: Shrimp!

>"Shut-up! I am not!" Kuwabara glared.
>"Then go and talk to her!!" Yuusuke taunted.

Yuusuke: He *does* talk to her. He flirts, albeit badly, whenever he’s around her.
Hiei: [glares]
Kuwa: I don’t flirt! And if I did, I wouldn’t do it badly.
Yuusuke: Keep telling yourself that.

>"Fine! I will!" Kuwabara pulled together his confidence and all his dignity and walked up to her. Yukina seemed flattered and didn't mind but Yuusuke saw Hiei twitching in anger.

Yuusuke: He wanted Kuwabara to pay attention to him and not his sister.
Hiei: Kurama?
Kurama: [hits Yuusuke]
Hiei: Thank you.
Kurama: No problem.

>He held back the urge to laugh.

Kurama: Since when? Nothing ever stopped him from laughing at danger before.

>Kuwabara started to come back over and glared at Yuusuke who was trying to hard not to laugh his ass off. "WHAT!?!"

Hiei: You do that a lot, baka.
Kuwa: What?
Hiei: You leave what you’re doing to go and do something else, like leaving a fight to go yell at Yuusuke or to ogle my sister.
Kuwa: Oh…

>"Did you even notice Hiei?!? He was so going to kill you if you stayed any longer!!!" Yuusuke doubled over laughing.

Yuusuke: It’s not that funny… They fight *all* the time. It’s annoying more than anything.
Kurama: Yes.
[Hiei and Kuwabara are glaring at each other]

>Kuwabara's eye twitched and Keiko covered her mouth to stifle the laugh.
>"Shut-up!!" Kuwabara turned red and started pumbling Yuusuke with fists.

Kurama: Pummeling.

>"They're at it again," Botan, a young girl with blue hair a little darker than Yukina's, came up next to the twins.

Yuusuke: I guess we’re all just victims in this fic.
Hiei: I’ll be happy when Koenma joins us in our torment. [smirks]

>"I think Kuwabara-kun is very sweet and Yuusuke shouldn't provoke him," Yukina giggled at the position the teens were in.

Kurama: [falls over laughing]
Hiei: Why, I never knew you two had a thing going. And in public too! For shame.
Yuusuke: [glances at Kuwabara] Ick…
Kuwa: [blanches]
Kurama: Oh, and there should be a period there instead of a comma.

>Kuwabara had Yuusuke in a head-lock with Yuusuke pulling at Kuwabara's cheeks, stretching his mouth far outward.

Yuusuke: The first Saint Beasts episode.
Kuwa: Huh?
Yuusuke: That’s from episode 14... I know it is…
Kurama: Start worrying if Botan shows up with her bat. Only then.

>Hiei could only smirk.

Yuusuke: He’d gotten a hold of some Brand New Joker Products.
Kurama: [Joker] And hair color so natural, only your undertaker knows for sure.
Yuusuke: That would explain the starburst…
Kurama: [glares] I like that starburst! [fixes Hiei’s hair idly]
Hiei: [smiles slightly]

>The two boys had been bothering him since he came here. They had challenged Hiei to a fight and when they knew they had gone to far

Hiei: … they fell over the edge of the cliff…
Kurama: *Too*…

>they apologized and started hanging around him.

Yuusuke: [Hiei] Ew, ningen cooties!

>It was annoying,

Yuusuke: And the cooties itched.

>but Hiei welcomed it for some reason that he hadn't figured out yet.

Yuusuke: [singing] It’s just love…
Kurama: Relena now? You have something for annoying women in space?
Yuusuke: Relena?! Hell no! Noin, now there’s a woman.

>"Class will start soon," Hiei said and he and Yukina walked down to their classrooms.
>* * *

Yuusuke: [singing] My present self I do not need sympathy /In the midst of war I am a flaming falling star /LONELY...
Kurama: You know, I think Trowa’s singing about Heero in that song.
Yuusuke: [frowns] He’s singing about himself.
Kurama: But there are lines at the end that allude to Heero.
Yuusuke: Oh…

>By the time the bell rang for lunch, Hiei, Yuusuke, and Kuwabara got yelled at, at least, five times for falling asleep in class.

Yuusuke: Can we fall asleep during this fic?
Kurama: No, because I’ll kill you if you make me read this alone.
Yuusuke: You could sleep too.
Kurama: I can’t. I’m so annoyed with that I *have* to riff it now…
Yuusuke: [pats his shoulder]

>For Yuusuke and Kuwabara it was okay, but for Hiei it wasn't.

Hiei: That’s not fair.
Kurama: You wouldn’t fall asleep anyway…
Hiei: I wouldn’t be in a school in the first place.

>The teacher sent Hiei down to the counselors office to discuss why he's falling asleep.

Kurama: Why he *was* falling asleep… Damn tense changes.
Yuusuke: School counselors are probably the most useless people in the world. They call you in their office and tell you what you already knew to begin with…
Kuwa: And they don’t actually “counsel” kids.

>As if the teacher would care anyway...

Yuusuke: Most of them don’t.
Kuwa: Takenaka-sensei does, though.
Yuusuke: The one exception.

>Hiei slowly ate his lunch, thus, delaying his departure for having to see Counselor Tsukia.

Yuusuke: In speaking of Takenaka, he may be omitted from being in this fic too… Lucky bastard.

>The annoying, over-emotional, probably the only job she could land, counselor. He wasn't looking forward to it.

Yuusuke: Then don’t go.

>"Jaganshi Hiei?" Keiko was helping out the school for extra-credit.

Yuusuke: Jaganshi Hiei?
Kurama: My guess, it’s his surname.
Hiei: I don’t have a last name.
Kurama: Oh, and that whole thing is unclear.

>She gestured that he could go on in.

Yuusuke: The pits of hell!
Hiei: Too late.

>"Hello, Hiei!" came a disturbingly peppy voice behind a neat and organized mahogany desk. Even the books on the shelves seemed like they were in alphabetical order by author. It was disturbing. Not even a paper clip misplaced. The paper clips seemed to be in a neat stack, as well, in it's little container.

Kurama: Paper clips in a neat stack?
Yuusuke: I guess the lady has all *lot* of time on her hands…
Kurama: And “seemed” should be cut out. It’s obvious Hiei could see quite clearly that the books are in alphabetical order and that the paper clips are stacked.

>"Hn," was the only stunned reply that came from his lips.

Yuusuke: Not too unusual.

>Not even Yukina and Keiko combined were this neat.

Yuusuke: And stop picking on Keiko and Yukina, story.

>"You teacher is concerned about you," she emphasized 'you' by pointing with both hands together and elbows on her desk at the young 15 year old.

Hiei: I don’t even want to think about being a teenager again… It was hard enough the first time.
Kurama: [pats his shoulder]

>"Is something bothering you? Are you having problems here or at home maybe?"
>"Why are you emphasizing 'you' and 'home'?" Hiei asked skeptically.

Kurama: Hmm, skeptically should be replaced with something else. Maybe rudely, demandingly…
Yuusuke: I was wondering that same thing, Hiei. This lady seems stupid, even by teacher standards…

>"You have a black eye. Was that from a fight?"

Yuusuke: “Two hits. Me hitting you, you hitting the floor.”
Kurama: Yes, that *was* what it was like.

>Hiei remained silent, stood, and left her office with her giving him a sad look.

Kuwa: [counselor] Aww, Hiei-chan’s leaving so soon…
Hiei: Do NOT call me that. I’ll tear off your balls and make you eat them.
Kuwa: [blanches]
Yuusuke: [stifles a laugh]

>"Come and talk when you feel like it!" she changed her frown into her peppy smile, with the voice. Keiko watched as Hiei left the office gaping. She could only stifle a small giggle again.
>"Weird, huh?" Keiko commented, only getting a slight nod that was barely noticeable. She giggled again and went back to organizing files.

Yuusuke: Um, that last part, who was she talking to?
Kurama: Hiei, maybe…

>* * *

Yuusuke: [singing] When morning comes /The stars cease to be seen but /In darkness or in light /They silently wait for the future
Kurama: We’re in the darkness, and yes, we’re waiting to get out of here.

>Yuusuke and Kuwabara waited after school. Hiei walked out with his sister behind him and frowned at the two boys.

Hiei: [himself] If you two hate school so much, why are you still here?

>"Hey! You guys want to walk home together?" Yuusuke asked curiously.

Hiei: Absolutely not.

>"That would be nice," came Yukina's sweet reply. Hiei just rolled his eyes, but went along anyway.

Kurama: Well, it would be on the way home. And since he can’t flit away, he really has no other choice.

>The walk was silent most of the way.

Hiei: With these two ningens and me? Ha!

>Yuusuke was the first to be dropped off.
>After he was dropped off conversation started lightly.

Yuusuke: Oh, so it was *my* fault they weren’t talking? *I* would have started talking in the first place and Kuwabara would have been too busy fawning over Yukina.

>"I heard you had to see the shrink today, shrimp. How was it?" Kuwabara grinned, branding Hiei with that personal nickname.

Hiei: For which I killed him on the spot. The end.

>"Disturbing," Hiei cringed thinking about it.

Hiei: Like this whole fic.

>"It couldn't have been that bad!" Yukina scolded him.

Kuwa: Huh?
Hiei: She doesn’t scold.
Kuwa: Yeah!
Yuusuke: If there’s ever one thing you two can agree on, it’s her.
Kurama: It’s good that they can find some common ground, since they’ll become in-laws one day.
Hiei: *Don’t* remind me.

>Hiei glared and retorted, "Her paper clips were organized!!"

Hiei: So?

>Kuwabara burst out laughing, "Seriously!! I heard she was a neat freak!!"


Kuwa: I don’t think that’s very funny. It’s stupid.
Hiei: And unnecessary. Definitely not funny.

>"Don't make fun of her! She must be very sweet!" Yukina tried defending but the stifled laugh couldn't be hidden well.

Kuwa: That’s more like the real Yukina.
Hiei: Yes.
[the door to the theatre opens and two girls walk in. The Reikai Tantei stare at them. It’s the girls from earlier that day.]

>"Let me give you an example... She emphasizes 'you' in a sympathetic way and acts like an annoying, peppy person!" Kuwabara replied.

Brunette: [bows] UPS delivery! Your order for a new lampshade just arrived.
DT: No, Chrissy-nee-chan, that’s the next stop.
Chrissy: [the brunette, obviously] Oh, okay. What are we doing here?
DT: [points at Hiei, specifically the collar]
Chrissy: [gasp] Hiei-san, I didn’t know you were into bondage!
DT: [smacks her] Baka! We put that on him this morning.
Chrissy: We’re into bondage?
DT: [hits her again] No! Definitely not. [pulls out a measuring tape] Grab one end.
Chrissy: But, Imouto, we’re family!
DT: [smacks her again] Be serious. [the two girls measure the distance across the theatre. Koenma appears in the room]
Koenma: What are you two doing here?
DT: Enma-chan wants us to put up a kekkai. He’s getting bored of Hiei not being able to hit people.
Chrissy: [cries out and goes to hug Hiei, letting go of the measuring tape and letting it smack into DT] Poor widdle Jaganshi! [before Hiei was able to pry her off, Kurama did it for him with a scowl on his face.]
DT: Be serious, Onee-chan. [she puts the kekkai in place] There, that should keep him from doing something permanent. [glances at Kuwabara] Well, to the theatre at least. Ja ne! [vanishes]
Chrissy: [throws a large straw of pixie stix at Yuusuke] Ja ne! [vanishes]
Yuusuke: They’re not so bad… [eats the candy]
Hiei: Hey! They forgot the damn collar!
Chrissy: [appears again] Oops! [takes it off] Sorry. Ja! [vanishes again]

>"You've been?"

Hiei: An idiot all your life?
Kuwa: Shrimp!
Hiei: [gets up from his seat and stands in front of the ningen. He smirks]
Kuwa: Uh… never mind…
[Hiei sits back down]

>"No, Yuusuke. Yuusuke's mom drinks a lot

Yuusuke: A lot is an understatement.

>and she tried to pry it out of him that she was the cause he didn't get enough sleep one night. She digs and digs... She doesn't pressure you to come back though."
>"Pathetic," Hiei murmured.

Hiei: Like this story.
Kurama: Hiei, be nice.
Hiei: The fic isn’t!

>Kuwabara gave Hiei a sideways glance, noticing his black eye in more reality. His eyes narrowed a bit, but before Hiei could notice he acted his normal self, only a hint of red on his cheeks.

Yuusuke: Here it comes, boys. Brace yourselves.
Kuwa: Eek. [covers his eyes]
Hiei: [growls]
Kurama: [yawns] Try not to take it too seriously, would you?
Yuusuke: Hypocrite.
Kurama: [glares]

>Yukina noticed this and smiled to herself inwardly.

Yuusuke: As opposed to smiling to someone else.
Kuwa: How does one smile to themselves?
Yuusuke: I thought you were covering your eyes.
Kuwa: Ha! I would never. Doing something like *that* would be unmanly.
Hiei: [raises an eyebrow]

>She wasn't as innocent as she always seemed.

Kuwa: What!? How dare you!
Hiei: She’s innocent!
Kuwa: Yeah!
Hiei: The author of this story, however…
Koenma’s voice: Be nice, or I’ll ask the girls to put the collar back on.
DT’s voice: Actually, Koenma-chan, we accidentally put it in the blender.
Koenma’s voice: How do you accidentally put something in a blender?!
DT’s voice: Accidentally on purpose, of course!
Hiei: [smirks]

>Hiei kept something hidden from everyone until he knew he was alone.

Yuusuke: His heart?
Kurama: He doesn’t even let that out when he’s *alone.*
Hiei: Humph.

>Yukina almost walked in on him once.

Yuusuke: Whoa! Too much info!
Hiei: Ick.
Kuwa: That’s horrible. Next time lock the door, Hiei.
Hiei: Whatever.
Kurama: Maze…

>She waited until he was done before she got a glance at,

Yuusuke: Again, too much info!
Kurama: Maze.
Yuusuke: Will you quit that?
Kurama: [shrugs]

>at the time, the recent entry.

Kuwa: Entry?
Kurama: Oh, it’s a diary.
Yuusuke: [laughs]
Hiei: Hn.

>Hiei felt something towards Kuwabara.

Hiei: Anger. Ire. Annoyance. Fury. Resentment.
Yuusuke: The line between anger and love is very, very fine.
Hiei: [glares] Shut up and go back to saying innuendoes between Kurama and I.
Kurama: [turns his head sharply to look at Hiei]

>She didn't know what, he didn't even know. Kuwabara knew what he felt though.

Kuwa: I’m with the shrimp; anger and annoyance.
Hiei: As long as we know where we stand.
Kuwa: Yeah.
Yuusuke: I attract weird people… What am I, some kind of magnet?

>The way he wrote about Kurama, though, was like how he felt about herself (Yukina).

Yuusuke: Yukina is really a man too?
Hiei and Kuwabara: [descend upon him]
Yuusuke: [cowers] In the fic! In the fic! Not the real Yukina!

>She didn't see much on Yuusuke except the fact that he respected him.

Hiei: That, at least, is true.
Yuusuke: Aww, Hiei, I didn’t know you cared!
Hiei: Patronizing fool.
Yuusuke: [grimaces] Don’t sound like Genkai, please…

>Especially since he doesn't pressure to find out what happens to Hiei when he comes to school with a new bruise.
>"Here's my place! Later, guys," Kuwabara seemed in a bit of a hurry to get to his house.

Hiei: He can identify his own home. I’m shocked.
Kuwa: Shrimp…
Yuusuke: I knew their cooperation wouldn’t last too long.

>"Let's go," Hiei commented and started walking. Yukina smiled. He was coming back to the house. She hated being there alone with him. Unfortunately, she also knew that it meant that he was going to be very angry with Hiei.
>* * *

Yuusuke: [singing] Inexpressible thoughts /Shall I tell them only to the fading stars /Alone I shall tread /The path I believe in…
Kurama: What’s with all the Gundam Wing songs?
Yuusuke: “Insanity is contagious.”
Kurama: Right…

>"Hey, bro," Shizuru called to him. He only waved. "Something important?!?!" she yelled up at him.

Hiei: This fic stopped making sense a long time ago.
Yuusuke: In a galaxy far, far away…
Kurama: That’s why I quit correcting.
Yuusuke: Aww, we’ll miss it, Kurama.
Kurama: Hm.

>Kuwabara picked up the phone and ran to his room. He dialed Yuusuke's number.
>"Moshi Moshi!" Yuusuke's voice came over.
>"Yuusuke!"

Yuusuke: That’s my name, don’t wear it out.

>"Hey, Kuwabara! What? Forget something?" Yuusuke asked tauntingly with a hint of sarcasm.

Kuwa: I forgot to beat the shit outta you.
Yuusuke: I’d like to see you try.
Kurama: Children.

>"Did you notice Hiei's black eye?"

Kurama: If he didn’t, I’d be worried about his vision. Or his good sense.

>"Yeah, why? He probably got in a fight?" Yuusuke asked.

Kurama: It’d sound better without the question mark.
Yuusuke: [simpering] You’re back!
Kurama: Front.
Yuusuke: [stares at him]
Hiei: [snickers]

>"Yukina said he ran away from home two days ago. One day he didn't show up at school."

Kuwa: Wouldn’t we have noticed that ourselves, if we’ve been hanging around him for the past few days?
Kurama: I think that was a sort of add-on, where you were trying to make a point. I think…

>"Oh! Domestic problems you think?" Yuusuke was catching on to want the oaf was getting at.

Kurama: I was right.
Hiei: [rolls eyes] I thought you said you’d quit.
Kurama: Well, I’m not giving the author any suggestions on what to replace that with. I can’t think of anything anyway.

>For acting so stupid he really could be quite intelligent at times.

Kuwa: Hey! Stupid story!
Hiei: I second that. Even if I agree with the fic on this one small part.
Kuwa: [glares]

>"Wanna check up?" Kuwabara asked hopefully.

Yuusuke: [Kuwabara] Wanna play doctor?
Kuwa: Ick.

>"Geez! You've only known him two months!" Yuusuke teased.
>"Urameshi!!" Kuwabara, though Yuusuke couldn't see, turned beet red.

Kurama: [nudges Hiei, makes a beet grow in his hand (from a seed in his hair), then mimics picking it up out of the ground]
Hiei: [smirks]
Yuusuke: [sees them and smiles]
Kuwa: [looks like he’s going to be sick - from the fic]

>"All right, sorry! Meet me at the corner to his house!" Yuusuke complied and hung up. Kuwabara ran downstairs, gave a proper goodbye to his sister and left to meet up with Yuusuke.

Yuusuke: Aww, Kuwa-chan running to his love’s rescue. How romantic.
Kuwa: Ick.

>* * *

Yuusuke: [singing] The shattered pieces of the burning star still /Give forth light and soar across the sky…
Kurama: If you listen carefully, Heero’s either singing about Duo or Quatre. Not Relena.
Yuusuke: [nods] I noticed. I hope its Duo, because Quatre belongs with Trowa. It just seems right that way.
Kurama: [chuckles]

>Hiei came inside after his sister. He slowly trudged in behind her, as if he was already being scolded. He didn't know why he was afraid, he'd never been before. He was just very, very cautious. Or could being very, very cautious be considered fear?

Kurama: In a manner of speaking.

>"I don't see him. Maybe he's asleep," Yukina whispered softly over her shoulder. The door behind the two twins slammed shut and Yukina's eyes hung wide with fear and worry. Mostly worry.

Yuusuke: Dun-dun-dunnnnn…
Kurama: I don’t think he’s asleep, Yukina-san.
Hiei: I’ll put him to sleep.

>"Where have you been brat?" came the all too familiar voice.

Kurama: Comma before brat.
Hiei: [hits Kuwabara in the arm, finally figuring his should test his freedom, and when nothing happens, he smirks]
Kuwa: Hey! What did I do?
Hiei: Nothing, yet.

>"Away," Hiei's bland reply landed him a hit across the face.
>"I've notice. Where were you?!?" the older man's roaring voice boomed through the house.
>"Why would you care?!" Hiei yelled back.

Kurama: Replace would with do.
Yuusuke: This isn’t going to be all too pleasant, is it?
Hiei: The roaring of his voice brought the house towering down. Hiei and Yukina used pieces of the shattered walls to poke their dead father’s body.
Kuwa: That’s… disturbing.
Hiei: Like I said before, so is the fic.

>Yukina begged with her eyes for him to stop. Hiei didn't know why he was fighting back, he normally didn't. That just made things worse.

Kurama: In some cases, yes. But if your parent is abusing you, you should tell someone about it and have them reported to child services. *That* is the best way of fighting back.

>"Hiei," Yukina spoke softly, barely audible.
>"Go upstairs, Yukina," came Hiei's voice, a soft hint of caring. "NOW!!" Yukina looked at her brother gravely before she turned and slowly went upstairs. She didn't want to, she wanted to help, but Hiei wouldn't allow her.

Kurama: Of course he wouldn’t. He wants to protect her and would risk everything to do so.
Hiei: [smiles at him slightly] Kind of like you and your mom.

>"When can I fight?!? I know how, oniisan!!" yelled Yukina.

Kurama: The magic of italics! Gaze upon the magnificence of the flashback scene.
Yuusuke: [bored] Ooh. Ahh.
[Note: Yes, there were supposed to be italics here. They just won’t show up on the version you’re reading.]

>"I don't want you to be fighting! It won't help anything! Only fight if threatened!" Hiei retorted, as much anger as she held in her voice.

Kurama: With as much anger as she had had in her voice.
Yuusuke: That or Hiei’s a woman.

>"Then why don't you when dad gets mad?!? Tell me, then!" Yukina looked into hurt eyes.
>"I can't fight him... It will only get worse," Hiei turned and left the room. Yukina stood in the middle of an abandoned room, apparently not at their home, with a wooden sword in hand.

Yuusuke: Pray there are no Kenshin references.

>Hiei, I can't help if you won't let me...

Yuusuke: God?
Kurama: Death?
Yuusuke: Huh?
Kurama: Something I remember from a Terry Pratchett novel…
[Note: Here the words were bolded. If it had been DEATH, though, it would’ve been in all-caps. ^^; ]

>She closed her eyes and then ran upstairs.

Yuusuke: Tripping on the stairs as she went.
Kuwa: Urameshi!
Hiei: Today’s a good day to die, is it?
Yuusuke: Her eyes were closed! Read it yourself! How could she see to walk up the stairs if her eyes were closed?!

>"How sweet," his father mocked tauntingly, making his fist contacting with his face for emphasis. Hiei fell over, landing hard on the linoleum floor a few feet away.
>"Bastard child... No one wanted you anyway. Your grandparents, your mother, not even me!

Kurama: Obviously not.

>What makes you think Yukina would want you anymore then I?" he harassed as he continued to kick and hit relentlessly.

Kuwa: Yukina can speak for herself and, even though I don’t understand how, she cares about Hiei.
Kurama: Yes, that she does.
Hiei: Shut up.

>Hiei managed to block a few of the attacks, but didn't have the strength after the fourth kick to the stomach and chest.

Hiei: Weakling.
Yuusuke: You’re so bright and cheery today, Hiei.

>* * *

Yuusuke: [singing] In the night where solitude alone surrounds me /Let's count the stars till morning…

>"Kuwabara!" Yuusuke called to the lone standing teen.
>"Urameshi," Kuwabara acknowledged. They walked down the street at a fairly fast pace, but nothing to let on anything was wrong. They didn't want to be too conspicuous, but they wanted to get there quickly enough to make sure everything was okay.

Hiei: These two idiots not look suspicious? That’s a laugh.
[Yuusuke and Kuwabara glare at him]

>* * *

Yuusuke: Everybody, nice! Everybody, nice!/Believe in the shining of tomorrow /Everybody, chance! Everybody, chance! /Grab onto my hand and carry on...
Kuwa: That doesn’t have stars in it.
Yuusuke: I know, but stars shine… Besides, I just wanted to sing one of Duo’s songs.
Kurama: I’m practically positive that Duo’s singing about Heero in that song.

>Yukina stood in Hiei's so called 'room'. More like a small closet.

Yuusuke: Great, now he’s Harry Potter.
Kurama: Don’t say that. He may just get a letter by owl.

>He normally slept in her room. He hated small places, a small form of claustrophobia she assumed.

Kuwa: She assumes his claustrophobia? She’s becomes claustrophobic too?
Yuusuke: Only a very literal person would ask that.
Kuwa: Sorry.
Yuusuke: But, is he claustrophobic?
Kurama: No. He just seems claustrophobic.
Hiei: If I’m not in a closed off area, I can see when people are going to attack me.
Kurama: But I like the idea of him having claustrophobia. It’s kind of endearing.
Hiei: [blushes]

>When he was younger, their father would just lock him in the smallest place he could find.

Kurama: I know some people who want to make a shirt saying, “Kill Vernon.”

>This was before the beatings that happened when he turned seven. She figured it just carried over.
>She grabbed the metal sword from it's hiding place behind the bed.
>Holding it up to her face she softly whispered, "Enough."

Yuusuke: Uh oh.
Kuwa: Oh, Yukina, don’t do anything to get yourself hurt!
Hiei: [is growling lowly]
Kurama: It’s not really her…

>She turned and headed towards the stairs. Racing down them she noticed Hiei lying semi-conscious on the floor and her eyes narrowed to angry slits. She was like an angered mother, not a sister. She took over the mother role in this situation and went through with what she wanted to do.

Yuusuke: Super Yukina, here to save the day!
Kurama: That was *really* corny…
Kuwa: [worries about Yukina]
Hiei: [him too, even though he won’t admit it later]

>She ran over and stepped in between the two and held the blade to the nose of her so called 'father'.

Yuusuke: [Utena] I may not know anything about Himemiya, but right now I want to get back to what is normal for me!
Kurama: I liked that episode. She beat Touga’s ass.

>"Yukina?" his voice seemed stunned and his eyes conveyed that message clearly.

Yuusuke: Someday shalalala lala /I want to whisper privately to you the secret that I have hidden...
Kurama: Xellos?
Yuusuke: I told you, insanity is contagious.
[Note: The title of that song is “Secret, Somebody’s Message”]

>"What? Don't think I'm strong enough?" she glared. Anger pierced through him like fire melts ice.

Yuusuke: [Saionji] You’re a girl?
Kurama: [Utena] I never said I was a boy! And I’ll never lose to anyone who hits a girl!

>"Your hurt yourself with that, sweetheart!" he cried to her in worriment.


Yuusuke: And then Saionji slaps Anthy.

>She pulled the blade artfully and swiftly away from his hand and under his throat.

Yuusuke: [Inigo Montoya] I want my father back, you son of a bitch.
Kurama: Wasn’t that his chest, and not his throat?
Yuusuke: Oh yeah.

>"What are you doing?!?" he yelled at her. Fear prominent.

Yuusuke: Then Saionji got that crazed look in his eyes again.
Hiei: What the fuck are you people talking about?
Yuusuke: I’m going to put Utena on the list too, okay, Kurama?
Kurama: Sure, he might like it.
Hiei: List? What list?
Yuusuke: I’ve got a list of things that I’m making you watch.
Hiei: [stares at him]

>* * *

Kurama: [looks at Yuusuke]
Yuusuke: Oh, I’m out.
Kurama: Ah well. [sings] Fly me to the moon, and let me play among the stars…
Yuusuke: I used that one.
Kurama: I know.

>"Did you hear yelling?" Kuwabara asked. They decided to stop wasting time and hurry. They raced to the door and knocked.
>* * *

Yuusuke: That’s it, let’s just ignore them.

>The knocked caught Yukina off guard and her father pushed her back. Hiei glared and tried to get up but the pain forced him to fall unconscious. She noticed and did exactly as her brother taught her.

Kuwa: Yuusuke, if you say one word -
Hiei: We’ll kill you.
Yuusuke: Okay, okay.

>Crouch, kick outward, move forward, blade down over head.

Kuwa: Wow…
Kurama: [sarcastic] She’s a regular samurai… [blinks] Oh great, another reminder of Just a Favor.
Hiei: [groans]
Yuusuke: [to quote Fernando] “Chicks with swords are cool.”

>Her father lay on his back, she with the sword placed hovering over his right eye. She was contemplating whether or not to just kill him or not, but something held her back.

Yuusuke: The rope tied around her ankle?
Kurama: A kekkai?

>A doll made of straw lay on the floor. Hiei was guiding Yukina through the maneuver. Crouch, kick outward, move forward, blade down over head.

Kurama: The wonders of copy and paste.

>She did the first three steps without the doll and then held the blade over the dolls head.

Hiei: I thought she was doing it without the doll the first three times…
Kurama: Doll’s head. And it should be made clear that she’s trying a forth time, this time with the doll.

>She would have pierced through the soft fabric if Hiei's arms hadn't held her back.
>"Huh?" she looked at him.
>"You don't kill," he replied.

Yuusuke: You can’t, that’s a reverse blade sword.
Kurama: [hits him]

>"Why not?! I can do it!" she replied annoyed.
>"One, I don't want my little sister to go to jail. Two, you don't have it in you to do it in real life," he smiled at his last comment smugly. Something that only she saw from him. His innocent smiles.

Kurama: I’ve seen Hiei’s “innocent” smiles and in no way are they smug.
Hiei: [blushes]

>"How would you know? I sneak downstairs at night sometimes, you know!" she huffed proudly.

Yuusuke: [Vader] Impressive. Most impressive.

>"Oh!! Your so brave!!" Hiei joked. She glared at him and he laughed.
>"What?!?"
>"Gotta do better than that!" he started laughing...

Hiei: I hate to agree with the fic, but killing does take a lot and…

>Kuwabara and Yuusuke managed to get through. They stared agape. Yuusuke ran and tried to get the sword away from Yukina, but failed miserably.
>"I will not be afraid to turn the blade on you!" she yelled. She was crying.

Yuusuke: [singing] And the world just keeps tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling down…
Kurama: So will the tear gems.

>"Why..Why are you doing this?" her father asked, scared.

Yuusuke: Because everyone wants to kill Gendo.

>"Enough..." Yukina's eyes softened, but her posture stayed the same, never faulting or moving the blade away from his face.
>"Urameshi!" Kuwabara called over to where Hiei was. He didn't look to good. He wasn't breathing right either. Rather than subtle, smooth breaths, his breaths were ragged and came in gasps.

Kurama: Did it change tenses again?
Hiei: Just ignore it.

>"I'll call for help," Yuusuke ran for a phone.

Yuusuke: Help! There, I did it.

>"Hang on," Kuwabara whispered quietly, so quiet that only he heard himself say it. In all reality it was more of a reassurance for him as much as it was for Hiei to try and keep breathing. "Hang on..."

Yuusuke: [sarcastically] Awww.
Hiei: [looks like he’s not taking any of this seriously, again]

>* * *

Kurama: [singing] Daniel my brother you are older than me/ Do you still feel the pain of the scars that won’t heal?/ Your eyes have died, but you see more than I. /Daniel, you’re a star in the face of the sky…
Yuusuke: Well, we weren’t all out.

>The hospital ride was less than exciting.

Yuusuke: The ambulance driver was listening to elevator music.

>Kuwabara called his sister up and she took him, Yuusuke, and Yukina over to the hospital.

Kuwa: What about Hiei? I thought he was hurt?
Yuusuke: Oh, forget him, just leave him there. He’s a cat, he’s got other lives.

>The entire care ride was silent. If one were to speak, it would be as if an avalanche would fall from a mountain peak. The silence was keeping them from breaking anything...

Hiei: [screams very loudly]
Kurama: [worried immensely] What is it?
Hiei: It said there would be an avalanche, so…
Kurama: [laughs]

>By the time they arrived, Hiei was already in the ER.

Yuusuke: And he was driving the cast bonkers.

>Yuusuke asked the receptionist where a phone was and he called Kurama. Kurama arrived shortly after with a look of set determination for something and worriment.

Yuusuke: Yes, Kurama, make your move and steal the Youkai back from the idiot!
Hiei: If he put the moves on me, it would be the *idiot* in the hospital.
Kuwa: Why, you…
Hiei: [raises his right hand, clenching and unclenching his fingers]
Kuwa: [gulps]

>"Kurama-kun," Yukina looked at him sadly. Kurama sat down next to her. She explained what had happened in a soft, hoarse voice. Hoarseness from crying; soft because it was her nature. The explanation only deepened the determination set on Kurama's face.
>"What happened to him?" Kurama asked.

Yuusuke: [Kurama] Because I’ll beat the shit out of him for touching my fire demon.
Kurama: Actually, I *would.*
Hiei: Because you’ve got my back.
Kurama: And you’ve got mine.
Yuusuke: You two are so cute it’s almost sickening.
Hiei: [glares at him]
Yuusuke: I said almost!

>Kuwabara sat down next to them as Yukina replied, "Police arrested him."
>"Nearly arrested Yukina, too," Kuwabara added in.

Hiei: But they thought better of it when I pulled out my katana.
Yuusuke: Sounds kinky.
Hiei: Hentai.

>"Sword incident?" Kurama grinned.

Yuusuke: I know what kind of swo-
Hiei: [starts playing idly with the wards on his arm]
Yuusuke: Ugh, never mind.

>"I'm not completely innocent," Yukina smiled.

Kuwa: Yes, she is!
Kurama: Fic. Not real.

>The doctor came out from the ER and smiled. A sigh that no one knew they were holding in came out. Yukina smiled, on the verge of tears. Kuwabara couldn't help but grin; same as the rest of them.

Hiei: But then they found out the doctor had only come out to tell them a stupid ningen joke about chickens crossing a road. They promptly beat the life out of him.

>"He'll be fine. Not completely serious... He's still in ICU, but he should only be there for a couple of days tops," the doctor trudged on and walked down to the room with Yukina naming all that was wrong and broken. Mostly a few ribs, bruised face, sprained wrist, and an easily fixed internal bleeding problem that was relatively minor but they still wanted to monitor it.

Hiei: I should *hope* I have ribs.
Kurama: I think the fic meant that they’d been broken. I hope anyway…

>Yukina walked in and sat next to him. She sat there until she had to leave. It went like this for three days.

Hiei: The whole fic went on for three days?
Kurama: This story has horrible transitions…

>* * *

Yuusuke: [goes through the motions of using his rei gun, but doesn’t actually do anything]

>By the time they had moved him into the normal ward of the hospital, he was already complaining about being there.

Hiei: I know for sure it’s not me now. I would have been complaining long before then.

>"When can I go home?!?" Kuwabara cringed as Hiei kept complaining about going home.

Yuusuke: [Hiei] Are we there yet?

>"When you feel better!" Kuwabara said his normal reply.
>"I do feel better! I feel fine!" Hiei retorted. Kurama was trying hard not to laugh. Kuwabara and Hiei had been doing this as if it was a daily routine now for almost every other fifteen minutes.

Kurama: Makes no sense. Well, since I’m reasonably intelligent, I know what it’s trying to say, but still. It gives me a headache.
Yuusuke: In anime, couples are traditionally bickering.
Kuwa: Urameshi!
Yuusuke: You two don’t bicker. You exchange death threats. What Hiei and Kurama do when they come back from those long trips, all alone, in the woods, is called bickering.
[Kurama and Hiei blush]

>"Not according to the doctor! So shut-up, already!" Kuwabara glared. Yuusuke couldn't help but laugh now. Kuwabara and Hiei glared at him across the room which made Kurama start laughing.

All: [unenthusiastic laughing]
Yuusuke: [wipes his eyes] Oh, that was so funny.
Hiei: Hn.

>Hiei's eye was twitching now, "SHUT UP!!"
>They didn't stop.

Yuusuke: Idiots. He’ll get mad and release the kokoryuha.

>"Stop laughing! It's not funny!" he yelled again. Yukina looked on wildly at her brother and then to the people laughing and then to Kuwabara who was turning beet red again.
>"Then stop...fighting...with...Kuwabara!" Yuusuke manage to get out slowly and with effort.

Yuusuke: Impossible. They irritate each other, like bugs.
Hiei: [is getting increasingly irritated]

>"How is that funny, Urameshi?!?"

Yuusuke: I have no idea, really. It’s much funnier seeing Hiei and Kurama fight.
Kurama: At least I’m good at teasing him.
Hiei: [grabs hold of the armrests tightly]

>Yuusuke could tell why the two were fighting,

Yuusuke: Because Kuwabara was acting like an idiot again.
Kuwa: Urameshi!

>even for how dumb he may be.

Kuwa: Ha!
Yuusuke: [grumbles]

>Kurama just smiled. Yukina finally caught on.

Yuusuke: And tugged.

>"You two sound like a married couple!" she chimed in.

Hiei: That’s it. [he starts to go into flames]
Kurama: Oh crap… Hiei!
Hiei: I can’t stand it anymore, Kurama. [takes the wards off his arm]
[Yuusuke and Kuwabara start running, Kurama at their heels]
Hiei: [to himself, alone] Kurama… He’s the one I - [the kokoryuha is released and the scene is cut]

*

Koenma glared at the his monitor in his office. On the screen were two girls sitting in lawn chairs. “That kekkai was faulty!”

Chrissy shrugged, sipping her lemonade. “They don’t make ‘em like they used to.”

DT smiled brightly. “Besides, our little spells are no match for Hiei’s Black Dragon!”

Koenma sighed and fell back in his seat. Botan stood by, trying not to laugh.

“You shouldn’t have tried to do that,” she chided. “These demon girls are even more tricky then ones in the Makai.”

Koenma glared at her.

*** TBC***

I’m ending it today with Yuusuke’s list of “Things I Must Make Hiei Watch.”

1. Hellraiser series. [He’s got to love Pinhead!]
2. Original Star Wars trilogy. [And probably the new ones too, even if they suck.]
3. Revolutionary Girl Utena. [Zettai Unmei Mokoshiroku…]
4. Gundam Wing. [so he can know who Heero Yuy is.]
5. Slayers. [Hey, why not?]
6. The Fight Club. [Obviously.]
7. David Lynch’s Dune. [Hell yeah!]
8. Nightmare on Elmstreet series. [This kind bothered Kurama, so maybe it could be a date movie for him and Hiei. It’d be so cute to see Hiei comforting him! Ha ha!]
9. Cowboy Bebop. [He’ll love Spike; hell, who doesn’t?]
10. Evangelion. [This should be higher up on the list…]
11. Noir. [Only because Kurama hasn’t seen it yet, and I know he’ll like it. The music and quality are awesome and he enjoys that sort of thing.]
12. Highlander. [He’ll love the sword fights.]
13. X/1999. [Because it’s X. There should be no other reason.]
14. Tokyo Babylon. [To bring it in full circle.]
[Note to self: add more to list after talking to Kurama. But no Indies.]