Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Enma's Torment Theatre ❯ Episode Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Enma’s Torment Theatre
Episode Four
Story: Beginnings
Story by: Rose Thorne (she gave me permission!)
MST by: Chrissy Sky (with, as always, help from Rose! ^^)

Squee! Shounen ai/Yaoi.

Note: I have a habit of quoting from fics as well as anime… and some of them come from Zelgadis/Xellos fics. It figures. Those two…

- Ningenkai -

It was hard to explain why he’d chosen Yuusuke.

He had given his current situation a lot of thought. He’d seen Youkai affairs before, back in the Makai, but they were never very serious and there was no love involved. It had been what Youkai were known for; power struggles. The only reason to sleep with someone was to gain dominance, whether male or female. That was the way things were. Even partnerships were like this.

But Kurama had proven that all contrary. He would never betray him, he knew that as certainly as he knew that the Ningenkai sky was blue. Kurama would always stick by him and fight beside him.

So he knew any affair he had with Kurama would have to have love in it. There was no option otherwise, especially not with the feelings growing in his heart.

But he knew he needed help. A lot of it. If he messed up, then Kurama may not want him… Or something like that. He just wanted to… He couldn’t describe it, really… He supposed the best word would be courting. Yes, that was probably right. He wanted to court Kurama. Earn a relationship with him. Only he didn’t know where to begin.

Whenever he thought of telling Kurama how he felt, he would just start blushing, and that would probably just give the Youko another reason to tease him. So, he had to figure out exactly what he was supposed to do.

And, as much as he hated to admit it, what the courting rituals were in the Ningenkai.

Kurama was still Youko, but he was also the ningen Shuiichi. He was a creature of both worlds, and where that had seemed like an irritation before, it just made Kurama who he was *now* and who Hiei was falling in love with.

So, Hiei had come to a decision. He had to ask for help.

He felt his eye start twitching.

He was *not* asking Kuwabara for help. *That* one was absolutely hopeless. Besides, he had his honor and pride to think about.

Yuusuke? That just brought up an image of Keiko hitting Yuusuke whenever she got angry at him. Okay, so probably not Yuusuke.

Keiko? For one thing, she barely knew him nor he her, and another, he didn’t know how she would react to his wanting another man. Some ningens were funny about that sort of thing.

Botan? That made him want to laugh. Hell no!

Yukina? Well… That was honestly the most promising prospect so far. But then he remembered that his sister *was* falling for the idiot ningen… He shook his head in irritation. But, even if she didn’t know he was her brother, she would still understand him. Hopefully.

Though, thinking it over, he decided that his sister was definitely *not* the one he wanted courting lessons from. After all, she was his *sister!* It would be horribly embarrassing.

He went through his list of options again and he paused a little longer on Yuusuke. The half Youkai leader of the Reikai Tantei had been giving little nudges at him and Kurama to get together since Enma’s Torment had begun, and even a little before then. It had seemed like teasing, but could it be that Yuusuke was trying to play matchmaker? If that was true, Yuusuke *was* the one he should ask. Though it’d hurt his pride just a tad bit; he could just imagine Yuusuke’s smug reaction. He sighed. Well, being with Kurama would be worth the initial embarrassment, right? He hoped so.

He still couldn’t believe he was asking love advice from *Yuusuke* though.

*

Yuusuke was sitting in front of the television with a soda in hand, doing his impression of a couch potato. He was watching reruns of Sailor Moon for some reason or another. If he were asked, he’d say it was because there was nothing else on. Of course, if that were true he could just pop a movie into the VCR, but I digress.

A shadow appeared in his window, but far before then he could feel the familiar Youkai signature, so he wasn’t worried.

What worried him was the look on Hiei’s face when he walked into the room and stood in front of him.

“Hello, Hiei,” Yuusuke said, smiling brightly. “Could you move? I’m trying to see up Sailor Neptune’s skirt.”

Hiei turned to glance over his shoulder at the television. Then he flitted over and turned it off unceremoniously. He walked back to Yuusuke and said without further ado, “I need to talk to you.”

Yuusuke sighed and resigned himself to his fate. “What about? Don’t tell me Koenma sent you with another tape! After the crappy missions he’s been sending us on lately I say we let this one pass.”

Hiei rolled his eyes. “No, idiot. This is more important than Koenma’s ‘crappy missions.’”

Yuusuke leaned back and crossed his arms behind his head, interest peaked. “I’m listening.”

For a moment Hiei looked uncomfortable. Okay, honestly, he *was* but he’d like to retain some of his dignity. He cleared his throat. “Do you… Do you really believe Kurama and I could be together?”

Yuusuke felt like Keiko had just hit him with a mallet. “Huh?”

“I mean it. Answer.”

Yuusuke considered. “Well, if I answer, will you promise not to kill me?”

“I’ll kill you if you don’t.”

The teenager sighed. “Okay, fine. Yes, honestly, I think you would.”

“Why?”

“Hmm.” Yuusuke brought up his fingers and ran off his mental list. “He puts with your attitude better than anyone else in the three worlds, besides Mukuro, and even then she still kicks you out of her lands on occasion. You understand his fighting abilities better than he himself does sometimes, and even though you try to hide it, you get more worried than all of us if he’s losing a fight. He’s your best friend and you know each other inside and out, which is because of the deep bond you share.” Yuusuke smiled.

Hiei stared at him with wide eyes.

Yuusuke lowered his hand. “What? You didn’t think I was teasing you just for kicks, did you?” He threw back his head and laughed. “I’m just surprised that neither of you noticed to begin with.” He smiled up at the little Youkai. “And the best part of it is that you appreciate each other. Understanding each other’s motives and hearts, to the very core, is an important part of it. You two have that already.”

Hiei still stared at him. “I can’t believe we’re having a heart-to-heart.”

Yuusuke laughed again. “Stop it; you’ll make me blush!”

The Youkai snorted. “But seriously, you think we could do it?”

The ningen shrugged. “Sure, you two can do just about anything you set your minds to. Just go for it! Tell Kurama how you feel.”

Hiei paused for a long moment, then sat down on the couch next to Yuusuke. “What if he doesn’t feel the same?”

“Hmm… I hadn’t thought of that.”

“I have.” The fire demon met his eye. “That’s the real reason why I came here. I know that new feelings for me are stirring in his heart. He’s pathetically obvious.”

*If he knows Kurama’s feelings, why is he worried that Kurama doesn’t love him back?* Yuusuke wondered. Maybe Hiei was worrying about this way too much. “Oh?”

“He’s… not pretending to flirt anymore.”

Yuusuke laughed again. “What, he really *is* flirting now?”

“No!” Hiei blushed. “He’s… smiling at me a lot more. And when we talk there are these long contented silences.” He shook his head. “I know his feelings are beginning to change. But this sort of thing… It feels so delicate. And I have no idea what I’m going to do. I don’t want to just jump into bed with him.” He blushed a little more. “That’s not what I want. Anything with Kurama would have to be…” He trailed off and looked down at his lap.

Yuusuke felt his heart swell. This was going to be great! “I think I know what you’re saying. So, you’re going to date him first, then jump into bed with him.”

Hiei blushed again, just when his normal color was starting to come back. “Something like that. I feel that I have to earn his feelings. That they’ll grow slowly over time. But I want to take it slow so that it *does* grow *and* so we don’t lose our friendship.”

“You two?” Yuusuke scoffed. “Never. So, a date. Let’s see…” He crossed his arms over his chest and thought. Then he suddenly remembered something. “It’s the last day of the Carnival! You remember Kuwabara mentioning something about that last week, don’t you?”

“I try not to pay attention to the idiot.” Yes, he remembered.

“Well, I’m taking Keiko there tonight and Kuwabara is asking Yukina.” He paused and saw that Hiei didn’t respond to that last bit; actually he blinked in surprise but as he did not get angry it was not counted as a true reaction by Yuusuke. “You can come with us and invite Kurama!”

“What’s this ‘carnival’ like?”

“Well, it’s a probably not the most romantic thing in the world, but it’s a lot of fun! Kurama will have a blast and it’ll be a great start.” He smiled. “Trust me.”

Hiei frowned. “You gave this same advice to Kuwabara, didn’t you?”

Yuusuke looked suddenly sheepish. “How’d you guess?

“That sounded rehearsed. And you were going to ask Kurama and I to go along with you tonight anyway, weren’t you? Hoping that something would happen?”

Yuusuke laughed nervously. “Can’t keep much from you smart Youkai, can I?”

- Reikai -

Kuwabara walked into the theatre and saw Yuusuke and Hiei were already there. “Hey, Urameshi! Hey, Shrimp! Where’s Kurama?”

“He’s on the way,” Koenma told them. “But while we wait, Botan, would you like to show them what the demon spawn made us buy?”

Botan wagged her finger at the Junior God. “Don’t talk about Chrissy-chan and DT-chan like that, Koenma-sama. They’re very nice, when you get to know them. If you ignore their habit of kidnapping famous pretty boys then sticking them in closets and video taping the results.” The angel of death was behind the cash register of the food stand today. She was wearing a white shirt with a red vest, supposedly like a ningen vender might.

“What did they make you buy?” Yuusuke asking, frowning.

“A bigger variety of food!” Botan told him cheerfully. “We have ten types of new beverages, plus kettle corn, hot dogs, corn dogs, beef jerky… it’s like a ball park!”

Hiei caught sight of something. He picked the note taped to the drink dispenser off and read it aloud. “‘Hey, we didn’t like the thought of you starving, so we told Koenma-*chan* to buy you some new snacks. If you need anything else, just whistle. Seriously, whistle, we’ll hear you! Ja ne, Chrissy and DT.’”

Yuusuke shrugged. “Well, I guess we have someone else on our side.”

Koenma huffed.

Just then, Kurama decided to make an entrance. “Sorry I’m so late! I was taking my little brother of to his friend’s house. Did I miss anything?”

Yuusuke noticed that Hiei’s eyes took on a lovesick quality (not totally so, but somewhat) when he caught sight of his best friend. He smiled and told Kurama, “Not yet. You remember those weird girls from yesterday?”

Kurama stopped in front of them and frowned. “I doubt I can forget yesterday. Nice job rebuilding the theatre again, Koenma.”

Koenma sucked on his pacifier and grumbled.

Yuusuke explained about the food, noticing out of the corner of his eyes that Hiei was fidgeting and trying not to. “Oh, I almost forgot! We’re going to the carnival tonight and we need to be sure to be out of here on time, or else Keiko will kill me! Not to mention that I talked Hiei into coming with us, I wouldn’t want him to miss out.”

Koenma sighed. “It’s a short one anyway, you won’t be here more than an hour.”

“Awesome!” Kuwabara cheered. Then he seemed to hear what Yuusuke had said more fully. “The Shrimp’s coming with us?” His imagined date with Yukina seemed to be taking a rapid downspin. Crap! Definitely not what he’d had planned, Hiei coming along to watch over his sister when Kuwabara was trying to impress her.

Hiei looked up at Kurama cautiously. “Would you… like to come with us?” The “with me” was left out, but he got the feeling Kurama heard it anyway.

Kurama’s eyes widened and for a moment he just stared down at his friend. Then slowly he smiled. “I’d be honored.”

Hiei smiled slightly. The expression on Kurama’s face when he smiled like that took his breath away. Had he really never noticed that before?

Kurama was in a similar state caused by Hiei’s own shy but dazzling beam.

Yuusuke grinned and clapped his hands on their shoulders, steering them toward the food stand. “This is going to be fun, Hiei, you’ll see.”

-Theatre-

[Sitting from left to right: Kuwabara, Yuusuke, Hiei, and Kurama.]

Yuusuke: Hey, Hiei, it’s pretty dark in here. Never noticed that before. Don’t you try nothing on Kurama because I might not be able to see it and, damn it, we’re taking pictures. Got to find something for those Christmas cards, dontcha know?
Kurama: What on Earth are you babbling about?
Hiei: You’ll have to pay for pictures.
Yuusuke: Hey, that gives me a brilliant idea. If you guys let me film a porno I could sell it online to your fans -
Hiei: No.
Yuusuke: Come on!
Hiei: It’s good for you to be so enterprising, but find something else to work yourself up about.
Kurama: I have a bad feeling about tonight.
Kuwa: So do I.

>Beginnings

Yuusuke: How ironic.
Hiei: [blushes] And of course you’re enjoying this.
Yuusuke: Every second of it.

>By Rose Thorne

Kurama: Her again?!
Yuusuke: Hello, “I am Bored,” lady! We missed you!
Hiei: Oi.

>~Standard Disclaimers Apply~

Kurama: “A Long Time Ago in a Galaxy Far Far Away, George Lucas created Star Wars. And he looked at it and saw that it was good. And all was right in the world. But then, we saw that Obi-Wan doth look upon Qui-Gon with lust, and that Mr. Lucas was not likely to include that in the next movie, so we said screw it and wrote it ourselves, even though we do not make any money off of this. And all was right with the world.” [by Keelywolfe]
Yuusuke: You spend way too much time online.

>Kurama sighed as he dressed the wound in Yuusuke's side.

Yuusuke: Then Kurama videotaped the wound in the new dress he designed while it captured Clow Cards…

>He's always getting himself hurt like this . . .

Yuusuke: Habit.
Hiei: To make an omelet you’ve got to break a few eggs.
Kuwa: Or bones.

>I wish he'd be more careful.

Yuusuke: [singing] A dream is a wish your heart makes…

>He winced as he moved in a way that jostled his own injuries, then smiled.

Yuusuke: [Zelgadis] Ra Tilt!
Kurama: [Xellos; laughing] Remember, Zel-chan, whenever you want to take your anger out on someone, I’m always available. [I don’t remember which fic this is from… Gomen ne.]

>I should take my own advice.

Yuusuke: [Spike] Never leave food in the fridge.

>"You know, Yuusuke. If you die again, I don't think Koenma will let you come back."

Yuusuke: Ah, sure he will!
Koenma’s voice: Don’t push your luck.

>The ningen winced as the salve burned his wound slightly.

Yuusuke: Ouch.
Hiei: I’ll burn it more than slightly…

>"I know. But he also would be pretty pissed if we hadn't gotten that artifact back. He said something about it being a key to something important.

Yuusuke: And apparently this “something” is not important for our knowledge.
Kurama: Nope.
Kuwa: Well, it *is* short, so maybe the plot is condensed?
Hiei: [snorts] I *know* you don’t know what that word means.
Kuwa: [glares] Stupid shrimp!

>If I hadn't gotten that demon, we could've been in deeper trouble."

Kurama: A two-thousand year old man would start chasing after every green-eyed girl he could find in Chinatown…
Yuusuke: A tad obscure there.

>"I know," Kurama sighed. He finished dressing Yuusuke's wound, and then went to check on Hiei, who was unconscious.

Yuusuke: And then Seishirou tried to take off Subaru’s glove…
Kurama: Kind of obscure yourself.
Kuwa: Seishirou can be scary sometimes.
Yuusuke: He scares me *all* of the time.

>Kuwabara was sitting by him, bandaging his own wounds. The fox checked Hiei, then warded the Kokoryuha.

Hiei: That just rolls off the tongue, doesn’t it? Come on, try it.
Kurama: [sighs]
Yuusuke: In speaking of dragons, the incantation for the Dragon Slave just rolls off the tongue. [smirks] Power beyond twilight; Crimson beyond blood that flows -
Kurama: [hits him] *No.*

>"Will the Shrimp be okay?"

Kurama: Usually.
Hiei: Depends on your definition of “okay.” And why do you care?
Yuusuke: He’s waiting for you to die so he can date your sister.
Kuwa: Urameshi!
Hiei: [cracks his knuckles]
Kuwa: He’s lying!

>Kurama couldn't help it; he smirked.

Hiei: He does that.
Kurama: [chuckles]
Hiei: [smiles back a little]

>"He'll be fine, Kuwabara. He's just exhausted after using the Kokoryuha."


Kurama: Not too unusual.
Kuwa: You said that a lot during the last Rose Thorne fic.
Kurama: Irk… Never mind. Pretend I didn’t say anything.

>The fox couldn't help it. It was so obvious that Kuwabara and Hiei were into each other.

Kuwa and Hiei: Not ANOTHER one!
Yuusuke: [falls out of his chair laughing] Take that in a literal sense!
Kuwa: Ick…
Hiei: [smacks Yuusuke]
Kurama: [hides a smile]

>They bickered constantly, but neither of them truly meant what they said. They bickered in an almost endearing way.

Hiei: [barks a laugh]
Yuusuke: Endearing in the way a Great White shark is endearing…
Kurama: I like Jaws.
Yuusuke: We should add it to the list, ne?
Kurama: Yes.
Hiei: Great, something else that will suck my intelligence away.
Yuusuke: Come on, Gundam Wing wasn’t *that* bad…
[Note: I like GW a lot, but that doesn’t mean Hiei is going to.]

>The fox wondered briefly if the two had realized their feelings and done something about them yet.

Hiei: I’d kill him but I really don’t want to be in jail right now.
Yuusuke: Yeah, it’d be embarrassing for Kurama to date jailbait, literally.
Kurama: [blushes]
Yuusuke: Then you get married right before he goes to the electric chair…
Hiei: [stares at him like he’s gone nuts]

>He wasn't entirely sure. All he knew was that the two seemed to be made for each other.

Yuusuke: To kill.
Hiei: How in the nine hells are we “made for each other”?!
Kuwa: I don’t get it either…
Hiei: Kurama, I can see. Maybe even Yuusuke.
Yuusuke: [chokes]
Hiei: But *him* I don’t.
Kuwa: [grumbles]
Kurama: He’s a very sweet, kind person, Hiei, and even though you two fight *all* the time you do care about each other. Or else you’d have killed each other long before now.
[Hiei and Kuwabara stare at him]

>The youko glanced at the foreboding sky as thunder broke his reverie.

Yuusuke: Because it struck him in the head. Six hundred and sixty-six times.
Kurama: *That* is definitely obscure.
Yuusuke: Oh, wait, it’s six-hundred and sixty-seven… The dude was hit again after they met him in the bar… I think he was anyway.

>"We should find some shelter. It looks like it's going to storm."

Yuusuke: Well, she *does* control weather.
Kurama: Oh sure, since the new movie is out that’s not obscure…

>He helped Yuusuke to his feet, watching as Kuwabara picked Hiei up

Hiei: For which I cut his arms off.
Yuusuke: “He’ll tear your arms out of their sockets if he looses. Wookiees are known to do that.”
Hiei: [hits him] “Get this big walking carpet out of my way.”
Kurama: [laughs at them]

>--smirking at the gentleness the usually-clumsy ningen displayed. Yuusuke was oblivious to it.

Hiei: Such as to a lot of things.
Yuusuke: Just remember who helped you out this morning.
Hiei: Hn.

>They quickly looked for shelter, finding a cave nearby.

Hiei: It ended up being one of Kurama’s old dens. Let’s see what happens.
Kurama: [falls over laughing]

>"I hope it's not occupied . . ."

Hiei: Just by the man-eating vegetation. Nothing to worry about.

>Kuwabara set Hiei down near the entrance, carefully propping him against a rock.

Kurama: … and a hard place.
Yuusuke: I know *what* kind of rock, too…
Hiei: [starts fiddling with the wards on his kokoryuha]
Yuusuke: Uh, what rock? I don’t see any.

>"I'll go check. You guys are hurt more than I am." The ningen's rei ken manifested as he entered the cave. After a few moments, they heard muffled fighting noises and a low, dying roar.

Hiei: Aw, Kuwabara found the man-eating plants!
Kurama: That’s starting to get old.
Hiei: Not to me.

>Kuwabara exited the cave shortly after. "It was occupied, but it's not anymore."

Yuusuke: The man-eating plant decided to sell Kurama’s den back to him.
Kurama: I think there’s a site called “Hiei and Kurama’s Den” but I can’t remember right now…

>The rei ken disappeared and he picked up Hiei again, entering the cave with Yuusuke and Kurama right behind him. Kuwabara set Hiei down and rose. "We might want firewood. It looks like that thing I killed might make a decent meal." The ningen left.

Yuusuke: Damn, Kuwabara, you’re just so… outgoing in this fic… I mean… Gees…
Hiei: [Kuwabara] Oi, me so manly, killing man-eating plants and chopping firewood.
Yuusuke: [singing] I feel pretty, oh so pretty…
Kurama: That’s the most obscure one by far.
Hiei: [chuckles] Let’s stick Kuwabara in a dress; I want to see if he looks like Gourry does.
Yuusuke: No, because some sailor will try to pick him up and I wouldn’t know how to explain that to Shizuru.
Kuwa: [is humming loudly, pretending not to hear them]

>No sooner had the ningen disappeared in search for firewood then it began to rain heavily.

Yuusuke: [singing] Here comes the rain again…

>Yuusuke sighed. "He is going to be soaked when he gets back. We really will need that fire."

Yuusuke: So we can eat him?
Kurama: “Diego, spit that out. You don’t know where it’s been.”

>He was right.

Hiei: There’s something you don’t see everyday.
Yuusuke: Humph.
Hiei: [blush] Oh, sorry. Almost forgot about *that*… [glances at Kurama]
Kurama: What?
Hiei: I’ll tell you later.

>Kuwabara came back with enough firewood to last them the night.

Yuusuke: [Franknfurter] He had a certain naive charm, but *no* muscle.
Hiei and Kurama: [singing] In just seven days (oh baby) I can make you a man!

>He also came back soaked to the bone.

Yuusuke: But even still; he didn’t win the wet t-shirt contest.

>They quickly started the fire.

Yuusuke: [Lina; bored] Whatever, FIREBALL.

>Kuwabara volunteered for first watch. "I'm soaked. There's no way I'm going to be able to fall asleep."

Yuusuke: Sure you can. You’ll just get pneumonia or something.
Kuwa: Gee, Yuusuke, you’re a pal.
Yuusuke: [Silk] One does one’s best.

>Kurama grew some soft leaves for them to sleep on,

Kurama: What kind of leaves?
Yuusuke: Huh?
Kurama: Well, not all leaves I would deem comfortable to sleep on. How about grass?
Hiei: Grass would be fine, Imp.
Yuusuke: [smirks]

>helping Kuwabara move Hiei onto one,

Yuusuke: He has more than one?!
Kurama: [gapes at him and blushes furiously] Yuusuke!!
Hiei: Hentai! [hits him; hard]
Yuusuke: Itai!!

>then lay down and went to sleep.

Kurama: That’s a slight tense change. Should have been “laid down.” Or “then went to lay down.” Or something.

>The fox woke up in the middle of the night, feeling very hot for some reason.

Yuusuke: He soon realized why; Hiei had crawled beside him in the night. He was naked, and Hiei was naked, rubbing against him and -
Hiei: Enough.
Yuusuke: Why? Am I giving you ideas?
Hiei: I already have plenty, thank you.
Kurama: [blushes]

>He sat up and looked around, then nearly fell over in shock.

Yuusuke: Hiei *was* naked and -
Kurama and Hiei: Shut up!!

>Kuwabara was asleep beside Hiei, who was sharing his heat with the ningen.

Kurama: Then why am I hot?
Yuusuke: You’re a voyeur?
Kurama: No, definitely not.
Yuusuke: I see; you’re a hands-on type of guy.
Kurama: [sighs] Yes, if you must know.
Yuusuke: Actually, no, I’m just helping Hiei out.
Hiei: [blushes and hits him]
Kuwa: Did I miss something?
Yuusuke: What do you think you’ve missed?
Kuwa: He’s not… fighting back anymore.
Yuusuke: [smirks] Of course he’s not.
Kuwa: [is still confused]
Yuusuke: [pats] I’ll tell you when you’re older.

>He heard a low chuckle and glanced at Yuusuke.

Kurama: [Yuusuke] Quick, get the camera! These are going to be the best Christmas cards yet!

>"It took them long enough," the ningen whispered, still giggling. "They've been beating around the bush forever."

Kuwa: I don’t think the bushes appreciate that.
Yuusuke: Mr. Bush probably doesn’t either.

>Kurama smiled. "You noticed too?"
>Yuusuke grinned. "How could I not? Kuwabara's my best friend."

Yuusuke: Yeah… but… he’s so into *Yukina*… And everyone within a five-mile radius can tell when he’s flirting with her.
Kuwa: Urameshi, I do *not* flirt!

>He chuckled again. "And Hiei's yours.

Kurama: Yes. *Mine.*
Hiei: [gawks, then blushes and looks away]
Yuusuke: Reminds me of those little valentine candies. “Be mine,” and such.
Kurama: *That* reminds me of a Heero/Duo fic I read once…
Yuusuke: Wait, you really *do* read Yaoi?
Kurama: I thought that was pathetically obvious by now. Now that I think about it, *you* know quite a bit about the subject as well.
Yuusuke: [blushes] I disavow all knowledge of such things.
Kurama: Closet bisexual?
Yuusuke: No!

>We could've played matchmaker."

Yuusuke: Been there; done that.
Kurama: So that’s what you were talking about.
Yuusuke: [throws and arm around Hiei and musses his hair] Yup!
Hiei: [glares]

>The ningen pretended to snap his fingers.

Yuusuke: And he disappeared.
Kurama: “Pretended” to.
Yuusuke: Oh. Right. And he *pretended* to disappear.

>Kurama chuckled softly. "That would have been amusing."

Yuusuke: It is!

>He sighed. "It's like a sauna in here."

Yuusuke: Eww, all that sweat…
Kurama: And having done nothing to earn it?
Yuusuke: [chuckles]

>He removed his tunic, rolling up the sleeves of his shirt. Yuusuke removed his shirt altogether. Kurama blushed slightly.

Yuusuke: Like what you see, Kurama?
Hiei: [glares] That’s not really him.
Yuusuke: Yes, the real Kurama would rather look at small fire demons, I know.
Hiei: Don’t sound too crushed.
Yuusuke: [simpers] I’m so heartbroken!
Kurama: “Removed his tunic and rolled up the sleeves of his shirt.” Shaky transition there. It’s not horrible or anything, though.

>"You're gonna roast in that shirt, Kurama," Yuusuke remarked, leaning back against the cave wall.

Yuusuke: We’re going to eat Kurama, too?
Hiei: [blushes] There’s no *we* in it. If you come near him, I’ll kill you.
Yuusuke: Alright, alright; he’s all yours, buddy.
Kurama: [is blushing as well]

>The fox sighed and removed his shirt.

Kurama: No, I didn’t.
Yuusuke: Yeah, save that for later…
Hiei: [smacks him]

>"I know." He watched Hiei and Kuwabara sleep for a few moments. "I envy them."

Kurama: Why?
Yuusuke: Don’t know…

>Yuusuke moved closer to Kurama.

Yuusuke: Eek!
Hiei: Welcome to hell, Urameshi.
Kurama: Come on in, the water’s fine.
Kuwa: [grumbling] Now *you* know how it feels.
Yuusuke: [slumps in his chair]

>"So do I. It's like they're perfect for one another."

Hiei: Again, I don’t see how.
Kurama: Just ignore it. It’s almost over.

>He chuckled again. "And they'll never have to worry about running out of things to say to one another."

Kurama: Well, that’s thinking positive.
Hiei: Optimism has always been your strong point.

>"Aa . . ."
>"Kurama . . ."
>The fox turned his head. "Nan da?"

Kurama: [Yuusuke] There’s a bee on your back.
Kuwa: That’s sort of obscure… Unless anyone actually remembers the DiC Sailor Moon well…
Hiei: [Yuusuke] Give me some sugar, baby.
Yuusuke: Eek.

>Yuusuke kissed Kurama deeply,

Hiei: Told you so.
Yuusuke: [wants to hide under his chair]
Hiei: Suck it up, Hentai.

>running his hands though silky red tresses

Hiei: *Is* it that soft? [tentatively pets Kurama’s head]
Kurama: [smiles softly]
Hiei: Well, what do you know…? There are a few tangles, but it’s not so bad.
Kurama: Shush, Dragon.

>as he marveled at the fact that he was finally doing what he had always dreamed of.

Kuwa: He’s going to be an astronaut.
Yuusuke: [singing] Fly me to the moon, and let me play among the stars…
Kurama: A cowboy.
Hiei: President of the United States. [has his fingers twined around Kurama’s side-locks]
Yuusuke: [cont.] And let me see what Spring is like on Jupiter and Mars…

>Kurama moaned against Yuusuke's mouth, and Yuusuke pulled away, concerned.

Yuusuke: “She slipped me her tongue!”
Kurama: Again, *really* obscure.

>The fox immediately drew him back in for another deep, probing kiss.

Kurama: [singing] I can’t get enough of you, baby…
Yuusuke: [tries to hide under the chair again]
Hiei: [takes the opportunity to his advantage and knocks the human onto the ground]
Yuusuke: [glares up at him]

>When they finally broke for air, Kurama blinked at him. "I thought . . . Keiko and you . . ."

Yuusuke: We are. And no one tell her about this fic, either.
Hiei: Shucks.
Kurama: You always ruin our fun.
Yuusuke: Do not! I’m *helping* you have fun, for crying out loud.
Both: [blush]

>Yuusuke grinned, shaking his head. "We were always only friends. Very good friends. Nothing more than that."

Kurama: “Friends with benefits.”
Yuusuke: Ugh.

>Kurama smiled. "If I had known that . . ." They kissed again.

Hiei: And they got stuck that way.
Kuwa: I was wondering where my superglue went.

>"I've had my eye on you since you saved my life."

Kurama: Well, of course. Yuusuke is known for doing crazy things. Take your eyes off him and you’ll miss it.

>Yuusuke laughed. "If I'd known that, I would have told you my feelings that night.

Kurama: [Yuusuke singing] Damn it, Janet. I love you!
Hiei: What night?
Kurama: The night I tried to use the mirror.
Hiei: Oh.
Kurama: That reminds me, you were watching me, weren’t you?
Hiei: … Yes. I’d figured what you were going to use it for so I thought I’d stop you before you killed yourself.
Kurama: [smiles] I thought it was something like that.
Hiei: [smiles back just a little bit]

>I was attracted to you when you first came to tell me that I could have the Mirror after you used it.

Kurama: But not when he first saw us and Gouki in the forest? [whirls on Hiei] Did I look alright that night?
Hiei: [closes his eyes as he remembers] Your eyes were sad, but they had been sad the entire time during the burglary. Other than that, you looked fine to me.
Kurama: Phew. I was getting worried for a minute.
Hiei: [frowns] Are you making fun of yourself? I *know* you’re not that narcissistic.
Kurama: [winks]

>Then I got to know you better, and those feelings just grew."

All: [sarcastically] Awww!

>Kurama smiled. "Somehow, I'm not so jealous of them anymore," he commented, gesturing at Hiei and Kuwabara.

Hiei: Kurama, there’s nothing to be jealous of.
Kuwa: That was an insult toward me, wasn’t it?
Yuusuke: Thinly veiled, but yes I think it was.

>"Me either." Yuusuke hugged Kurama.

Yuusuke: By taking a running start, then glomping onto him. They lost their balance and rolled down the hill.
Kurama: Obscure, again. But you’d make an interesting Wakaba.

>"I'll take the next watch.

Kuwa: I always wanted one of those Mickey Mouse watches.

>Go to sleep."

Yuusuke: “Just when you thought it was safe to get back into bed!”

>"Hai . . ." Kurama made himself comfortable against Yuusuke's chest

Yuusuke: He went in circles over one spot and ran his claws over the area.
Kurama: Hiei’s the cat, not me.
Hiei: Hn.

>and drifted off to sleep, mumbling something just as he fell asleep.

Kuwa: How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop?
Yuusuke: There is another Skywalker?
Kurama: I … you…
Yuusuke: Not bad. We’ve made two obscure references to Clamp.

>Yuusuke smiled. "Me too, Kurama. Me too."

Yuusuke: Yeah; whatever he said.

>Yes . . . I'm very versatile.

Yuusuke: That must come in handy.
[a mallet/large mace appears out of nowhere and whacks him]
Yuusuke: [rubbing his head] Filia?
Kuwa: Huh?
Yuusuke: That was Filia’s mace! I’d recognize it anywhere!

>I can also write Yuusuke/Kuwabara

Yuusuke and Kuwabara: [scream bloody murder]
Hiei: [shouts in Yuusuke’s ear] AHHHHHHHH! How do you like it?
Yuusuke: [gets dizzy and falls over; I think he was hit in the head too much today]

>and Yuusuke/Hiei fics.

Yuusuke: [weakly from the floor] Why am I the victim?
Hiei: [smiles suddenly] Hey, and it’s not me this time!
Yuusuke: [glares at him]

>And I'm sure if I tried, I could write a Kuwabara/Kurama fic.

Kuwa: [blinks]
Kurama: There *is* one out there that I know of. Something about Kuwa thinking Youko looks like a cat…
Hiei: [glares at the ningens] He’s *mine.*
Kurama: [blushes]
Yuusuke: [smiles] Tell that to the fangirls.

>I know that some people probably really didn't like this fic.

Hiei: I don’t care, I just want out of here.
Yuusuke: Can’t wait for your date, ne?

>Some people just can't stand Hiei/Kuwabara pairings.

Hiei: Like I said, I don’t care.
Chrissy’s voice: It’s not my favorite thing in the world, but I don’t hate it. Predominantly, I stick with Hiei/Kurama fics.
Hiei: Good.
Chrissy: Always glad I can help.
Hiei: Then let us out!
Chrissy: Hold on, it’s almost over.

>However, they bicker like they're married,

Hiei: [calmly begins unwrapping the kokoryuha]
Kurama: [quickly grabs him and places a loud smooch on his lips]
Hiei: [blinks for a few minutes, then starts floating around the room]
Yuusuke: Whoa…
Kuwa: How’s he doing that?
Kurama: Beats me. Just be glad he didn’t blow anything up.
Yuusuke: Good thinking.
Kurama: “One does one’s best.”

>so I can really see it.

Kuwa: [grumbles] Get your glasses checked.
[the mace appears again and hits him]

>Just remember, folks.

Yuusuke: Insanity is contagious?

>Love is never wrong.

Yuusuke: “Love is love,” baby.
Kurama: I found this definition a while ago for ‘Yaoi’ I’d never heard before. “An idealistic and feminine belief which states that love transcends gender.”
Hiei: I like that.
Kurama: [nods]

-Ningenkai-

It was evening. Keiko and Yukina had dressed in their best kimonos, their hair styled and/or pinned up. Yuusuke and Kuwabara dressed far more casually, even though Keiko had specifically told them not to, but they had never been one for rules. Kurama was wearing one of his nice Chinese garments, a green shirt with gold cuffs that accentuated his eyes. Hiei wore ningen clothes, jeans and a long-sleeved black shirt, with shoes that fit properly.

The Fire Demon didn’t like being around so many strange ningens, but they kept to themselves for the most part and none of the clowns tried to sell him any balloons. Though, he stopped and stared at one that stood on stilts and blew fire out of his mouth. He thought that was very interesting indeed. Yuusuke stopped by a booth that was selling anime and saw a boxed set of X/1999; the show. He begged Keiko for money for at least fifteen minutes straight until she gave in. Even then, he didn’t have enough, so he begged Kurama for money.

“It’s just more that’s going on your tab,” he said.

“I know, I know! Just gimme!” replied the leader of the Reikai Tantei.

So, Yuusuke spent the rest of the night fondling his precious new babies. Keiko looked like she wanted to hit him many times, but held herself back.


Kurama saw a necklace. It was a dagger with a rose on the hilt. Hiei stopped him from buying it, however. “It looks gaudy,” he told him.

Kurama smiled slightly. “You’re right. So is a lot of the stuff here, ne?”

The booths with the games surrounded and immersed themselves with the rides. Hiei found out that the object of playing was to win a prize; usually a stuffed animal or a picture with an idol on it. Some, however, gave away fish. Yuusuke and Kuwabara played that one for a little while, but moved on when they couldn’t land the ball into the little glass jars.

It was while the two ningens had started throwing darts that Kurama snuck off to try a different game. Hiei watched him from where he’d stayed with the humans. The Youko-human handed the attendant the appropriate amount of money, then took his place in front of a rifle embedded into the stand. He took his time aiming, and Hiei could see his target was a black outline of a man. Just when the attendant began to get bored of waiting, Kurama made his shot; a perfect bull’s-eye first time around. He did it again two more times and got a prize; a stuffed toy. Closer inspection proved it to be a red fox. Kurama walked back to them with a satisfied smile and handed the toy to Hiei without a word. Hiei stared up at him.

“What’s this for?” he asked.

Kurama tried not to laugh. “I wanted to get you something on our first date. Besides, look at it this way.” He leaned down and whispered in his ear. “You’ll be carrying a little me around with you wherever you go.”

Hiei’s lips quirked up in a smile. “Fine.” He looked at the toy closely for a long time, before deciding whether or not it was a good thing. He carried it under his arm and didn’t lose much of his dignity doing so, either.

Kuwabara tried to win something for Yukina, but had no such luck. Hiei looked at the fox toy he carried, the fox beside him, then at his sister. She smiled up at the big idiot saying she didn’t need anything, but Kuwabara still tried. He sighed. “Hey, Kurama.”

“Hmm?”

“Give me some money.”

“What for?”

“Just come on.” He dragged Kurama off to another booth. They returned moments later and Hiei slipped a white stuffed bear behind Kuwabara’s back. The tall boy looked down at him in shock for a moment, then smiled in thanks.

“I guess this means that you’re accepting toward their relationship now,” Kurama teased softly.

Hiei gave him a level glare. “Of course not.” Grudgingly, yes.

Yuusuke and Kuwabara then made everyone get on the bumper cars. Kuwabara ran into Yukina *once* just for fun, but Hiei wouldn’t leave him alone after that. Kurama intervened by crashing into Hiei, which led the two of them to chase each other around until their time ran out.

“Oh, Yuusuke!” Keiko cried suddenly. “Let’s ride the ferris wheel!” Before he could argue, she grabbed his arm and hauled him over.

Hiei’s eyes followed the large wheel as it finished its turn. “We don’t all have to go on that thing, do we?”

“Why not? Come on, Hiei,” Kurama beseeched, taking his hand. He smiled down at him, his face bright with happiness, those kind eyes shining.

How could he possibly say no?

Yuusuke smiled when he saw them getting on the ride after him and Keiko. Everything was going perfectly. He wished the two of them the best of luck for the future, one of which they would hopefully spend together.

The ferris wheel was supposed to be romantic, Kurama remembered. They took their seats and it began to rise slowly, stopping again to allow other people to board the ride. Then going, then stopping again, and so on. *And never before would I have thought I would be riding in one of these things with /Hiei/!* Before all this had happened, he would have thought it funny. Now, he felt his stomach tightening in knots, in a good way, and smiled. It was… nice feeling this way about someone, especially when it was someone he trusted so completely as he did Hiei. Then it seemed to register in his mind that Hiei had a tight grip on the bar attached to the seat, his knuckles white.

“Hiei?”

The fire demon blinked then looked up at him. Outwardly, Hiei was as calm and in control as always, but Kurama, having spent so much time figuring out his friend, knew it wasn’t so.

“What?”

“Are you alright?”

“Of course I’m alright.” No, definitely not.

“Hiei,” he said sternly, laying his hand over the others. “Please talk to me.”

*We always tell each other everything.* “You… You remember when I told you about what happened to me after I was born? Well… when I was thrown over… I fell a mile down.”

Those green eyes widened in understanding. “You’re afraid of heights!”

The Youkai neither agreed nor disagreed with the statement. He looked down at his lap, to avoid looking at the scenery and especially the ground.

“Hiei.” Kurama put an arm around his friend. “Hey. Look at me.” He tilted Hiei’s chin up so he had to meet his eye. “Nothing’s going to happen to you,” he said with certainty. “I won’t let it.”

Hiei blinked, all too aware of how close Kurama was leaning over him. He felt a million things stirring inside him and his breathing came quicker, but it wasn’t for any so-called fear he might have. Kurama smirked and leaned even closer, stopping just before their lips touched, making sure Hiei was alright with it.

“Kurama.”

“Hiei?” He couldn’t help but smile wider.

“I think I’m falling in love with you.” It came out in a nervous rush, but his friend understood him clearly.

“Good.” Kurama closed the distance between them and they kissed. Hiei let go of the bar and took hold of his waist. Dimly, they both heard Yuusuke cheering them on.

Next, the two ningens wanted to go on, what Kurama called, a roller coaster. It wasn’t as tall as the ferris wheel, thank goodness, but it was much, much faster. When it was over, Kuwabara ended up making a beeline for the lavatory, apparently to lose his dinner. Yukina looked a little worried. “Do you think he’ll be alright?” she asked.

Yuusuke waved a hand dismissively. “Oh, sure!”

Hiei snorted. “Why in the seventh circle of hell did he get sick? That ride was boring.”

Yuusuke grinned lecherously. “Only because you didn’t get to kiss Kurama on that one.”

Hiei glared at him and Kurama blushed, looking decidedly pleased with himself. Yukina smiled beautifully. “Hiei, you are with Kurama?”

Hiei’s eyes got wide, but Kurama answered before he could. “Well, we’re still talking about that, but yes, we are.”

Keiko grinned. “You two make an adorable couple!”

Yukina agreed. She could tell Hiei was happy, even though he tried his best not to show it. She was so happy for him.

When Kuwabara came out, he still looked sick so everyone agreed it was best to call it a night and go home. Of course, the orange-haired boy didn’t want to, but Yukina told him he should rest and so he went along with it.

*

Kurama was getting ready for bed when he felt the familiar youki outside his window. He smirked and continued changing his clothes, knowing perfectly well the owner of that youki was watching him. He could almost imagine how big Hiei’s eyes were right then.

Dressed in nothing but shorts, he opened the window to allow his audience inside. “There *is* a door, you know.”

Hiei shrugged and stepped inside. He met his gaze fully, and there was a strange light in those ruby orbs. Oh, yeah, he’d enjoyed watching Kurama strip.

“Can we talk?” he asked.

Kurama smiled. “Of course.” He turned and went to sit on the bed. “But I need to go to sleep. I have classes tomorrow.” There was a question left unasked, and he prayed Hiei would understand him.

Not surprisingly, he did. “Then you lay back and I’ll talk.” He walked further into the room, pushing Kurama to lie down. He turned the lamp light off for the redhead and the room became dark, vaguely illuminated with the moon’s rays coming through the window.

Kurama climbed under the covers and he sat on the edge of the bed. Hiei paused in thought, so the Youko decided to start their talk. “When did you decide you wanted me?”

Hiei looked over at him. “Last week.”

“I thought so. But that doesn’t really matter does it? What’s important is that we realize it now, even if we needed a little push to get here.” Kurama’s hand went and took Hiei’s. They both watched their hands move together, each feeling the other until their fingers twined and clasped. “What I feel for you… It’s new and I’m a little afraid of it. I mean, you’re my friend. Before all this happened, the thought of feeling like this would have seemed a joke, but now… I feel deep inside like this was meant to happen.” He looked searchingly into Hiei’s eyes.

The Jaganshi smiled and it took his breath away. “I feel the same way. As bizarre as it is, I like it. I like feeling this way about you. The emptiness inside me is gone. I was searching for something that I didn’t know had a name, and it was right in front of me the whole time. The day’s brighter for some reason, and I know it’s because of you.” He squeezed his hand. “It feels so delicate inside, but at the same time it’s incredibly strong.”

Kurama nodded. “Honestly, I think it’s a little scary. I mean, if something were to happen to you… If you died… I’d seek vengeance.”

“So would I,” Hiei told him. “But, nothing’s going to happen to us. I won’t let it.”

Kurama laughed softly, hearing his own words flung at him. “I guess it’s rather foolish to be afraid of something neither of us have control of. People die everyday, so it’s no use worrying about it.” He yawned. “We have to live for the now, and with luck find a future waiting for us.”

Hiei nodded, looking away at something in front of him, eyes not really seeing anything. His deep voice was soft. “Kurama. Would you spend that future with me?”

The redhead felt his heart swell with joy. “Yes. I would be most privileged.” He laughed again, mind wandering. “Imagine us years from now. In the Makai…”

“… Living the palace life on Mukuro’s territories…”

“Which will be yours by then. We might even have kids.”

“God,” Hiei breathed out. “Me, a father?”

“I think you’d make a great father.” He burrowed himself against his pillow, becoming increasingly tired. He didn’t want to sleep, though, so much was going on inside him.

“Kurama… What if I wake up and this is all a dream? How can I possibly face living, knowing this never really happened?” Hiei looked back at him suddenly.

Kurama grinned drowsily, reaching up with his free hand to touch the starburst above Hiei’s brow. “Well, if you really feel that way, why don’t you stay here tonight? Then in the morning you’ll know, won’t you?”

Hiei gulped. “Here?” Kurama nodded. “In… your room?”

“In my bed.”

Ever so slightly the fire demon blushed. “Yes. I would.”

Kurama let go of his hand to lift up the blanket. Hiei removed his ningen clothing, making sure he took as much time as Kurama had taken earlier with the same chore, then joined him. He snuggled against the other’s soft, warm chest, Kurama’s arms encircling him, and a new sensation came over him. He felt as if he had always belonged like this, in this embrace. Lifting up his face, he looked at Kurama only to have the Youko attack his lips with a gentle kiss.

They would sleep through the night, and as the moon set on their friendship it would arise again as the sun on their newfound love.

TBC.