Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Enma's Torment Theatre ❯ Incorrect Kanji/ An Untraditional and Cute Love Story! ( Chapter 12 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Enma’s Torment Theatre
Episode Twelve: Incorrect Kanji/ An Untraditional and Cute Love Story!
Story: Vital Allies, Valuable Friends
Story By: Rose Thorne
Msted by: Chrissy

Notes: Sorry this took so long, again. Normal laziness, working on novel, that kind of thing.

And keep requesting! It’s where I get all my victims - er, fics, these days.

More Notes: There really are pacifier necklaces. Koenma still sucks on his. But we can’t have him hiding that incredible smile from Yuusuke, now, can we? *wink* And “Lucy” is referencing multiple things: Lucy/Satan in DT’s novel, I Love Lucy, and Lucy in Charlie Brown.

Oh, and the kanji joke. Does anyone know where it’s from? *ferret grin*


~ Satellite, a week and a half later ~

Earlier on in the week, Yuusuke had found in one of the other rooms a replica of Freddy Krueger’s glove. At least they hoped it was a replica. The finger knives were *real*. And the teen got the weirdest look in his eyes when he put it on. Koenma kept telling him to take it off, though he didn’t seem too concerned about the look. The Junior God kept saying things like, “He gets that look when we play Utena,” under his breath.

Kurama had taken a large part of the console apart and was working on it in the Observatory. Hiei was by his side, assisting and distracting him at different moments.

Kuwabara got tired of the kitchen scheme and concocted a new one, with Kurama and Hiei’s permission. He turned the volume all the way up in the Holocabana, donned a pair of headphones, and played Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy while leaving the door open.The sound of blasters and lightsabers now filled the satellite most mornings, which worked just as well. This somewhat distracted Yuusuke and Koenma, however, so not as many doors were getting opened as there should be.

Another day, they’d opened up a room full of sakura blossoms. That distracted them as well, though their excuse was they were searching the blossoms to make sure there was nothing hidden underneath. Yuusuke kept rehashing lines from Tokyo Babylon, and he was joyous that Koenma actually got them.

Rando hadn’t called them all week, again.

The morning after Hiei had given him advice, Yuusuke had gone into the Junior God’s room to wake him up. He’d lost his nerve of actually admitting his feelings just then, but didn’t exactly break his promise to Hiei either. He *would* tell, just not right away. He’d do it when he felt the time was right. Yuusuke reassured Koenma that they were still friends by trying to make things seem as normall between them as possible. If only for little allowances. Koenma could hold his hand, but only for reassurance. Otherwise it just seemed silly. Not that he tried to at other times. No, other times Yuusuke could swear the godling was trying to kiss him. Or something. But other than that, things had virtually gone back to normal.

Except when Hiei teased and accused them of flirting, which he hadn’t known they’d been doing. Which was awkward.

“And I get really tired of Kurama calling us cute,” Yuusuke said, wedging the crowbar in the door. He’d named it Lucy for some anomalous reason.

“I think you’re cute,” Koenma said, quite seriously. He was leaning against the wall next to the door.

Yuusuke blushed and paused in his work. Koenma smiled at him, and it was easier to see without the pacifier in the way. The damn thing was tied around his neck by a string - one Yuusuke had gone looking for. He ended up asking Kurama for one of the wires he was throwing out. (Hiei seemed mildly worried that the Youko was discarding parts.)

“Stop that,” he said.

“Stop what?” The godling tilted his head to the side adorably. Yuusuke cursed him mentally for being so endearing. “Complimenting you?”

The teen went back to pulling on Lucy. “Something like that.” Of course, he knew perfectly well that it would only stop him from saying something again right away. Later on, however…

The door opened then and the two looked inside. They didn’t see it at first until their eyes met the floor. A miniature of a fancy red sports car. It looked expensive.

Koenma whistled. “You could probably sell that when we get back.”

Yuusuke was thinking, however, eyes trained on the car. “It reminds me of something.” He went to pick up the model.

The godling shrugged. “That’s not surprising. Everything in these rooms seem to be outright referencing something.”

Yuusuke was looking at the car close up. He tapped his chin with his free hand. “Red car,” he murmured. “Red car…” He turned it around, pondering it from different directions, and then looked at it from the front. His mind suddenly supplied the image of a man with light purple hair sitting behind the wheel and he laughed. “Oh, I get it!”

“Hm?” Koenma suddenly saw a post it stuck on the floor, which must have been underneath the miniature.

“It’s Akio Ohtori’s car!” The teen exclaimed. He laughed a bit more. “Hey, let’s give this to Kurama for Christmas.”

Koenma looked from him back at the note in his hand. “‘Just add water,’” he read. He met Yuusuke’s gaze again. They seemed to come to the same conclusion. “You don’t think…”

“We shouldn’t try it out here,” replied the teen. “Not enough room.”

“And you can’t give it to Kurama for Christmas. We’ll have to show this to him later,” Koenma pointed out.

Yuusuke frowned. “Well… We can give him the note and hide the car.”

“The note makes no sense on its own!”

“That’s the point.”

“And Hiei will know we’re hiding something.”

His Reikai Tantei cursed. “Damn. Yeah, you’re right.” He shrugged. “We’ll just say it’s an early present then. I mean, what if we’re stuck up here for Christmas? It’s almost Thanksgiving!”

Koenma frowned at him. “Don’t talk like that. I’m sure we’ll be home by then.”

“And what if we don’t?”

“Well… I guess we’ll make the best of it here.” He handed the post-it to the teen. Yuusuke gave him a sour look. “It may be longer than we’d wish but I’m sure we will get out of here eventually.”

“Yeah.”

Koenma put his pacifier in his mouth and walked down the hallway. Yuusuke closed the door and moved to catch up with him.

“You sure we can’t hide it?”

“Positive.”

“Damn.”

~ Observatory ~

Kurama looked up from his work as their three friends walked in. Hiei scooted a little away from him, trying to make the movement as nonchalant as possible.

“Vroom!” Yuusuke said and tossed the car to the fire demon. He caught it deftly.

“… A car?” Hiei asked, expression deadpanned.

Yuusuke nodded. “Weird huh? It’s a miniature of Akio’s car.”

Kurama blinked. “Akio? The prince? Anthy’s brother? The man slut?”

“The very one!” The black-haired youth grinned broadly at the last description of the anime character. “And check this out.” He handed Kurama the note.

The Youko looked at it then showed it to Hiei. “‘Just add water?’ Isn’t that from Loony Tunes or something?”

“The writing is sloppy,” Hiei murmured, looking at the note in his hand.

Kurama nodded. “It looks like they wrote the wrong kanji and erased it. They should have used a dictionary.”

“If Rando knows so much about human nature, why did he mess up on a thing like that?” Kuwabara asked.

Yuusuke shrugged. “Maybe he’s just lazy. It was laying underneath the car.”

Hiei gave Yuusuke a look. “Don’t even think about it. Keep this thing in a dry place.”

“Aw. You wound me.” Kurama handed the car back to Yuusuke and he took it. Koenma looked at him, remembering what his friend had said about giving the car to the redhead, but the human just smiled at him. Not a little puzzled, the godling stayed quiet. Kuwabara took the small car from Yuusuke to look at it.

They heard a beeping sound just then.

“Crap,” Kuwabara said. He gave the toy back to his friend. “Here we go again.”


~ Theatre ~
[The boys walk in and take their usual seats.]

Kuwa: Okay, so I was playing loud?! Big fuckin’ deal.
Yuusuke: Meh. Just ignore it.
Koenma: He seemed… abnormally tight-lipped about this fic.
Kurama: That was a little unusual.
Hiei: Almost two weeks and he didn’t find a fic he was willing to brag about?
Kurama: It’s not like there’s a shortage of bad fan fiction.
Kuwa: Here it comes.
Koenma: Why do you always announce it? We can see it perfectly ourselves.
Kuwa: [raspberry]
Koenma: No thanks.
Kuwa: [the ningen blushes] Stupid toddler.
Yuusuke: [hits him]
Kuwa: Itai! Urameshi, why’d you do that?
Yuusuke: Because I felt like it.
Koenma: [smiles]

>Vital Allies, Valuable Friends

Yuusuke: Hmm.
Kurama: Oh dear. What is it now?
Yuusuke: I think that has multi-layered meanings. Like Tenchi Muyo.
Hiei: Huh?
Kuwa: You never showed him Tenchi?
Yuusuke: [frowns] No, I guess not. Sorry, Hiei.
Hiei: [grimaces] Oh, I’m weeping.
Yuusuke: The title also means, “Useless Tenchi” and “This End Up.”
Koenma: What meanings do you think *this* has, Yuu-chan?
Yuusuke: Well, after dissecting the “Vital Allies” apart, it could mean friends who are still alive -
Hiei: Stop.
Yuusuke: What?
Hiei: I don’t want to hear anymore.
Yuusuke: Why?
Hiei: You’re bullshitting.
Yuusuke: So?
[The Fire Demon doesn’t dignify that with a response.]

>by Rose Thorne

Yuusuke: Again?! Maybe this is why Randy wasn’t bragging.
Kuwa: Two times in a row!
Kurama: Ne, have we sung Every Rose Has It’s Thorn yet?
Koenma: No, and don’t you dare.
Hiei: Is that where she got her name?
Yuusuke: I thought it was from you, Kurama.
Kurama: Well… Looking back at all of her fics we’ve read, her favorite character seems to be Hiei.
Hiei: [looks skyward with a “Why me?” expression]
Yuusuke: Now I’m going to be wanting to call out, “Rose Whip!” the next time we see her name.
Koenma: Kurama, you do know you have one of the kinkiest techniques of all time, right?
Kurama: [doesn’t respond]

>~~Standard Disclaimers Apply~~

Kurama: “The plot, if you want to call it that, belongs to me.”
Yuusuke: That just reminds me of Re-Animator. You know, Hill.
Kurama: The plagiarist.
Yuusuke: Right.
Hiei: Herbert West is a good anti-villain. He doesn’t fall into stereotypical mad scientist crap but he’s not righteous either.
Kurama: Neither good nor bad. “Shades of gray.”
Hiei: [nods] His dedication to his field is worthy of admiration. And his dark humor is entertaining. However, he could have done with some issues.
Yuusuke: He was in love with Dan and didn’t dare admit it. There’s your issues.
Hiei: Hn.
Yuusuke: Besides, it’s a comedy. Give Herbert “issues” and he’s not Herbert West anymore. And I want to know why no one thought to look into Herbert’s accusations. And couldn’t that doctor have sued Hill for copyright infringement or something? Wouldn’t it be more damaging to the university if anyone found out?
Hiei: But Hill had that hypnosis power. He used it on the Dean, right? What was to stop him from using it on anyone else?
Yuusuke: Well, if you’re going from the R version. The un-rated version doesn’t really go into Hill’s so-called powers.
Kuwa: Could you quit now? I’ve got a headache.
Koenma: And we’d like to get out of here this century.
Yuusuke: Pfft. None of you appreciate our commentary.

>Hiei scowled at the Ningenkai from his perch at the top of a telephone pole,

Kurama: My, that’s original, isn’t it?
Yuusuke: [falls over laughing]
Koenma: What?
Yuusuke: [points at Hiei] Yuuto!
Hiei: Eh?!
Yuusuke: Telephone pole. When Yuuto first showed up in X he was -
Hiei: Oh, right. Standing on one.
Yuusuke: Yuuto!
Hiei: But I’m nothing like Yuuto. He’s… cheerful. [grimaces]
Yuusuke: I’d say you were like Subaru, but that guy has more issues than you.
Koenma: Is X your favorite anime?
Yuusuke: You’d think it would be, huh? [snicker] But no, Slayers is my favorite.
Kurama: It matches your personality.
Yuusuke: [smirk] What’s yours?
Kurama: [sheepishly] Shoujo Kakumei Utena. I can’t resist pretty symbolism.
Yuusuke: And I know Hiei loves Evangelion the best.
Hiei: [nods] It appealed to my analytical mind.
Yuusuke: You, K-chan?
Koenma: [thinks for a moment] Cowboy Bebop.
Kurama: And you, Kuwabara-kun?
Kuwabara: Well… I like a lot of fighting anime, but I don’t really have a favorite… Real Bout High School is cool.
[Except for Real Bout, all of these are my favorites. However, they’re not my absolute favorite. That honor goes to Maze: The Mega-Burst Space. Why? It’s not the best anime ever, I admit that, but it’s inanity makes me happy.]

>watching as the drama of ningen life played out before him as night fell.

Hiei: [singing] It all returns to nothing, it all comes tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling down…
Yuusuke: In speaking of Evangelion.
Hiei: [smirks]

>Ningens . . . Annoying little creatures . . . They're like insects.

Hiei: Or sheep.
Yuusuke and Kuwa: Hey!

>They're everywhere and they get into everything . . .

Hiei: Or sand…
Kurama: [pets hair]

>He sighed in annoyance. And it was where he was stuck until he finished his parole.

Kurama: Or until he and Yuusuke decided to go off and kill whoever was responsible for X the movie to be made.
Hiei: Hn.
Yuusuke: Blargh. Pain… Suffering…
Hiei: I want a Shinken.

>The fire demon scowled. It wasn't like it mattered . . . He had no life in the Makai either.

Hiei: But it’s the principle of the thing.
Yuusuke: [Hiei] Damn it, I have standards!

>And, though he would never admit it, life was actually somewhat better in the Ningenkai.

Yuusuke: Especially after the Third Impact.
Hiei: Hell yeah.

>There were no enemies to constantly have to defend against, and it was easier to steal what he needed in the Ningenkai.

Hiei: True enough.
Yuusuke: Like stealing your best friend’s heart?
Kurama: [grins]

>Kurama's lucky. If I were ningen . . .

Kuwa: Eh!?!
Hiei: If I were a ningen… I’d try out that ‘cutting off my own head’ thing.
Kurama: Hiei…

>Hiei beat down the traitorous thought angrily.

Yuusuke: With a beating stick.
Hiei: No, a Shinken.
Koenma: The traitorous thought lay in a bloody mess on the ground, twitching.
Hiei: If I used a *Shinken* it wouldn’t be twitching. [smirks]
Yuusuke: [pats] Okay, Dark Fuma, calm down.

>Kurama has turned weak. His life here has made him soft.

Hiei: Yes. Soft, supple, lithe, beautiful -
Kurama: Not now, Dragon.

>They youkai sighed and left his perch, opting instead to land in his tree to settle down for the night.

Yuusuke: *Your* tree.
Hiei: Hn.
Kurama: What the story doesn’t say, however, is that it’s the Sakura tree that follows him around all the time.
Hiei: [twitch] I am NOT Seishirou.

>He frowned as lightning lit up the sky.

Hiei: [in the fic] Oh, wait, that’s not lightning. It’s a pentagram-shaped kekkai…

>Hiei cursed.

Yuusuke: [falls over laughing] Hiei ½!
Hiei: You are never to speak of that in my presence again, ningen.
Yuusuke: [keeps laughing, unfazed]

>Lightning plus sleeping in a tree was not a good idea.

Yuusuke: *Is* that how you get your hair to stand up like that?
Hiei: [nose twitch]
Kurama: I like his hair!
Yuusuke: So do I. Sorry, just being stupid.
Hiei: That’s no excuse. You’re like this every day.

>In fact, during a lightning storm, it was best to avoid high places entirely--something he'd learned from a not-so-pleasant experience with such things.

Yuusuke: Kurama took you to the Tokyo Tower?
Hiei: [hits him]

>The fire demon jumped down from the tree and ran under an outcropping of a building, which he considered much safer than beneath a tree.

Koenma: Until the building exploded.
Hiei: Until the building was crushed by the attacking angel…

>Hiei frowned angrily. I hate storms . . .

Yuusuke: They remind me of THAT DAY.
Kuwa: What day?
Yuusuke: *THAT DAY.*
Kurama: Quit it.
Yuusuke: You people bring me no joy.
Hiei: That’s what Koenma’s around for.
Yuusuke: [blushes slightly]

>He needed sleep. Depriving himself of sleep for a night could mean the difference between life and death in a battle.

Yuusuke: Unless you’re Spike Spiegel.
Koenma: Yeah, he can fight with a hangover, let alone half asleep.

>However, he needed a safe place to sleep, which meant Kurama.

Hiei: Well… I do feel safe with him, not that it’s any of your concern, story.
Kuwa: Yeah, stupid story, stop butting into our lives!

>The youkai growled in annoyance. The fox of legend was nothing more than an uber-genki ningen teenager, and it was disgusting to see how far the great thief had fallen.

Kurama: Hey! I resent being called *genki*.
Koenma: Yeah, Kurama has all those Bishounen Angst Waves.
Yuusuke: Genki makes me think Amelia. The day Kurama starts standing on tall, protruding objects and spouting nonsensically about justice will *never* happen.
Hiei: A long time ago I may have thought things like that, but I still respected him.
Kurama: [smiles]

>Lightning flashed again, followed by a clap of thunder that made Hiei flinch and helped him make up his mind. As he sped toward Kurama's, he could think only one thing.

Kurama: [Hiei] I hate fan fics.
Yuusuke: [Hiei] I wonder what Kurama’ll think when he finds out I sleep in the nude.
Koenma: [Hiei] These fishnets are really itchy.
Hiei: Enough.

>I really hate storms . . .

Yuusuke: They force him to be sociable! Oh, the horror!
Others: [mock gasp]

>* * *

Yuusuke: [sings] It’s naked-naked-naked time!
Hiei: What the fuck?
Koenma: You feeling okay, Yuu-chan? [feels the teen’s forehead]
Yuusuke: Dude, I am out of songs that have anything remotely to do with stars.
Hiei: But what was that from?
Yuusuke: The Potter Puppet Time songs. They’re funny. Harry sings about snitches, Dumbledore sings about naked time, Snape sings about his lost love…
Kurama: I don’t want to know…
Yuusuke: They’re really funny!
Kurama: I’m sure.
Yuusuke: Fine, don’t believe me. [Pauses, then starts humming Naked Time again]
Kurama: Quit it.

>Kurama smiled at Hiei as the fire demon entered his room through the window, his grin telling Hiei that the youko had been expecting him.

Hiei: If it’s that seductive grin he gets when I walk into the room after a shower with only a towel wrapped around my waist, I know why.
Koenma: And so do the rest of us.
Kuwa: TMI!

>Hiei ignored it, though it pissed him off.

Yuusuke: [Hiei] He’s a tease. All Youko are teases.
Kurama: Hey!
Hiei: And exactly how would you know, human?
Yuusuke: [inches away] It was a joke…
Hiei: You joke about my mate? *My* -
Kurama: Calm, dear.
Hiei: …But for a minute there I had him worried.
Kurama: I know, dear.

>He was becoming predictable. Predictability meant he was becoming soft.

Hiei: [smirks]
Kurama: My, someone has a one-tracked mind today.
Hiei: [runs hand along the kitzune’s chest]
Kurama: Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing… [kisses Hiei]

>The fire demon made a mental note to go hunt down some illegal demons for Koenma at the earliest convenience to hone his survival skills.

Yuusuke: And vote Kurama off the island.
Koenma: You actually watched that horrible thing?
Yuusuke: No. But, at this point, you’d have to have lived under a rock to not have heard of it.

>He scowled, wondering how long it would take before there would be none left for him to hunt, thus surrendering him to grow as soft and feeble as a ningen.

Yuusuke: [falls over] What? Reikai Tantei get a retirement home or something?
Koenma: No, but I think my father is seriously considering an asylum.
Hiei: Hn.
Yuusuke: Pfft.
Kurama: Translation: You’ll never take us alive… or dead.

>Hiei glared at Kurama, wondering how it was that the fox's face hadn't torn in two from his disgustingly wide grin.

Kurama: [sings] Mona Lisa, Mona Lisa, men have named you…
Hiei: Narcissistic.
Yuusuke: Because this isn’t Ninja Resurrection!
Kuwa: Ew…

>For some reason, the fox always acted happy to see him.

Kurama: [sings] Come on, baby, light my fire…
Others: [laugh out loud]
Hiei: *I* have a one-tracked mind?

>Hiei remained crouched on the windowsill, pointedly annoying the moronic youko.

Hiei: Erotic, not moronic.
Yuusuke: Exotic.
Koenma: Neurotic.

>Kurama gave in and greeted him. "Hi, Hiei. Looks like it's going to storm, ne?"

Yuusuke: [Hiei] Dispense with the pleasantries; Let’s just skip to the wild sex.
Koenma: [Kurama] Rose Whip!
Kurama: [blushes]
Hiei: Ha ha.

>Hiei ignored the question, and Kurama continued speaking, not having expected an answer.

Kuwa: Then why did he ask in the first place?

>"I'm guessing that means that you need a place to stay?" Hiei shot the fox a "No, really?" glare, which the fox ignored as he continued speaking.

Hiei: Doesn’t that sound a bit like Rando?
Kurama: You mean how he seems to not hear your quiet, scathing insults?
Hiei: Yes.
Kurama: Quite.

>"Well, you're welcome to stay here for the night."

Hiei: [smirks] In your room?
Kurama: [giggles] In my bed.
Yuusuke: Uh… What was that from?
Hiei: Koenma will tell you when you’re older.
Yuusuke: [gives him a strange look as Koenma coughs lightly]

>Hiei grunted an assent, sensing that Kurama wasn't going to let him get away without some sort of a reaction this time. "Whatever."

Yuusuke: Then he began to remove his clothing.
Kurama: A demon of few words, my Hiei.

>The fox smiled maddeningly. "You're welcome, Hiei."

Yuusuke: You said something about an asylum, K-chan?
Kuwa: Kurama’s turned into the Cheshire Cat!
Koenma: He’d make a better Mad Hatter.
Yuusuke: No, no; he’s Alice, remember?
Koenma: Oh, right.
Hiei: It’s not Kurama at all. It’s Rando.
Others: Eh?!

>The fire demon clenched his teeth. What the hell was Kurama's problem?

Yuusuke: Sexual tension.
Hiei: That’s funny during Phantom Menace, but not here.
Yuusuke: Pfft. You can use that joke for anybody.
Hiei: Like you and Koenma?
Yuusuke: [blushes, then grumbles]
Koenma: [pats his shoulder]

>Why couldn't he just understand that his attempts to be friendly were in vain? A warrior doesn't need friends. They get in the way and betray.

Kurama: [thoughtfully] What a sad existence.
Hiei: Where is this story going?
Koenma: Do you care?
Hiei: Not enough to wrack my brain for a good excuse.

>The same small part of his mind that he'd thought he'd beaten into submission piped up again.

Hiei: [himself] Where’s my shinken?
Yuusuke: No, you must’ve hit it with the stupid stick. I mean, it was stupid enough to come back after beating it into a bloody pulp.

>No man is an island.

Koenma: [Hiei] But that’s a ningen adage and I’m a Youkai. Doesn’t count.
Yuusuke: No, but the man can sure be a *beach* sometimes.
Hiei: That was bad.
Yuusuke: [shrugs]

>Hiei beat the thought into submission again,

Yuusuke: [barks like Menchi running away from Excel]

>somewhat disturbed by the idea that his mind was talking back to him.

Koenma: No, only be worried if you start talking back to it.
Yuusuke: No, that’s the Zero System.
Koenma: Oh…

>He vaguely realized that Kurama was speaking to him. "What?"

Kurama: [himself, but it’s Haruka’s] “It’s not fair to indulge in your own world. Don’t leave me alone here.”
Hiei: [himself] How dare you accuse me of daydreaming!?
Koenma: [sings] Oh, what can it mean to a daydream believer and a homecoming queen…

>Kurama's eyebrows raised. "I asked if you were hungry."

Yuusuke and Kurama: [Gourry and Lina, crazed with hunger] Food food food food!

>Hiei frowned. While he wanted to say no, he really was hungry . . . And, as with sleep, a meal could mean the difference between life and death. K'so . . . "Hai," he muttered reluctantly.

Yuusuke: Hai desu!
Kuwa: Mil is anything but reluctant.
Kurama: [Mil Varna] Let’s make babies! Right now!
Kuwa: See?!

>Kurama stared at him as if he'd grown a second head,

Koenma: Which he had.
Kurama: [himself] Hiei, were you messing around with The Necronomicon again?
Hiei: [himself] …No.
Kurama: [himself] Hiei… Ah well. I guess this just means there’s more of you to love.
Hiei: [himself] Shut up, fox.

>obviously having not expected the answer, but he got over it quickly. "Alright, what would you like?" Hiei returned the stare that he had received.

Yuusuke: [Hiei] Here. I don’t want it anymore.

>Kurama laughed. "Right. Something edible. Be back in a bit."

Kuwa: Good thing this isn’t a horror movie.
Yuusuke: [creepily] Or is it?

>The redhead left the room, and Hiei sat on the windowseat,

Koenma: That’s new.
Kurama: Isn’t windowseat two separate words?
Koenma: [glares] And you were doing so well, too.
Kurama: Sorry.
Koenma: No you’re not.

>staring out the window as it began to rain. Stupid storm . . .

Yuusuke: It’s just like the storm on That Day…

>Kurama was back within a few minutes with what were evidently leftovers from his family's dinner.

Koenma: [Hiei] Kurama, I thought the dog was for emergency rations only…

>Hiei ate sullenly, one of the few things he knew about ningens popping into his head as he did so.

Hiei: They smell funny after it rains.
Yuusuke and Kuwabara: Hey!
Hiei: It’s true.

>Ningens showed how much they cared about one another by imposing on their loved ones (1).

Yuusuke: Oh, cute, a footnote. That takes me back.
Kurama: [chuckles] Harukami’s Xel/Zel fic, ne?
Yuusuke: Oh, yeah. Didn’t she use forty once?
Kurama: Probably.
[Yuusuke and Kurama do (did) what my friends and I, and most likely what you and your friends do. Exchange good fan fiction. And I do recommend Harukami’s fic. I just keep forgetting the name. It’s not finished, it never will be, but it’s the best.]

>K'so . . . I'm imposing.

Kurama: Don’t worry about it. Everyone gets food from me. I’m quite accustomed to it after all these years. [He means everyone in the group, in case you didn’t realize. Not the entire world. That’d just be silly.]

>He hated depending on anyone, and hated having to remember all the stupid ningen customs that Kurama followed.

Yuusuke: He still didn’t understand the one about using the front door.
Hiei: Hn.
Kurama: [sings] Stop right now. Thank you very much. I need somebody with a human touch…

>The fire demon finished his meal quickly,

Koenma: Choking on it.

>and Kurama set the dishes aside to take down later.
>"How was your day?"

Hiei: [himself] It sucked, thank you for asking.
Yuusuke: [Hiei] Better now that I’m with you.
Koenma: [Hiei] Great, actually. I finally killed the idiot. Stuffed him in a body bag. It’s in your back yard, so you might want to bury it. On a bad note, I fell into the pool during my fight with Kuno.
Kuwa: [Hiei] I found a talking cat and it won’t leave me alone. Take it.
Kurama: [Hiei] I woke up this morning and found out I’d slept with the idiot.
Hiei: … This bizarrely feels like my life flashing before my eyes.

>Hiei ignored the question. He didn't do small talk.

Hiei: Only after sex.
Others: [fall over laughing]

>Kurama seemed unfazed and began to tell the fire demon about his day.

Yuusuke: [Kurama] Punished Yuusuke and Kuwabara for trying to put you in woman’s underwear again. In the name of the moon! [poses]
Koenma: [Kurama] Yuusuke and I realized our love and had sex while you and Kuwabara were, like, one foot away. [Yuusuke blushes furiously]
Kuwa: [Kurama] Felt you up while you were unconscious. Then Yuusuke splashed me with water and I turned into a pig. Keiko adopted me. She calls me “P-chan.” Don’t laugh.

>Hiei spaced out,

Koenma: [Hiei] Ooh. The pretty colors. I can taste them!
Yuusuke: [Freddy] Hey, Spence. Let’s trip out…
Kurama: He doesn’t have that stupid glove with him, does he?
Koenma: No, I made him leave it in his room.
Kurama: Good.
Yuusuke: [pouts]

>gazing out the window at the violent sky as Kurama spoke, the fox's soft tone lulling him into a relaxed semi-asleep state.

Hiei: It *is* relaxing…
Kurama: [smiles]
Hiei: Not to mention the sounds he makes when we -
Kurama: [kisses him] Shush, Dragon.

>It was strange . . . Never before in his life had he felt welcome anywhere, but Kurama seemed to really enjoy his company and considered him a friend.

Hiei: And just a moment ago I was cursing that quality…
Yuusuke: Make up your mind, Fic Hiei!!

>It's . . . nice . . . Feeling wanted . . . Having . . . friends.

Koenma: [Hiei’s thoughts] Speaking like… William… Shatner…

>Belonging somewhere. He was only partially been paying attention when Kurama said something that shocked him out of his reverie. "What?!"

Yuusuke: [Hiei] Hang on a god damn second, I have to put my hearing aid on!!
Kuwa: [Hiei, stoned] Say that again, K’rama, it was really funny… [snickers]

>"You're beautiful," Kurama repeated, smiling slightly.

Yuusuke: Oh fuck…
Kurama: Oh dear.
Koenma: This can only end tragically.
Yuusuke: He’s just getting used to the friend thing, don’t rush him! [is wincing]

>"You looked so peaceful just then . . . Like you were truly at peace and almost . . . content. It was really beautiful, to see you so at peace."

Yuusuke: Oh fuck. You should’ve just stopped at the “You’re beautiful.”
Hiei: I don’t get it. What’s going to happen?
Kurama: We’re not entirely sure yet -
Koenma: But it’ll be bad.
Yuusuke: One of them’s not leaving the room alive.
Kuwa: I don’t get it either. Isn’t this a get-together fic?
Koenma: By Rose Thorne? Are you mad? That’s much too simple!
Kuwa: Oh…
[Sorry, Rose-sensei, but this is going from what they know of your work so far.]

>The smile disappeared as Hiei muttered the first thing that came to mind. "Liar." The youkai immediately cursed himself for saying it and revealing more about himself than he had planned.

Yuusuke: It’s not anything he couldn’t have found out on his own. Spoiler sites being what they are.

>He knew that Kurama had to be lying.

Kurama: He had failed the polygraph test.

>Him? Beautiful? Hardly. He was just an unwanted, runty, half-breed Forbidden Child--someone people looked at with disgust, or not at all. Never beautiful.

Kurama: Mou… [pulls Hiei closer to him, cupping his chin and tilting his face up] I think you’re quite beautiful, my Dragon.
Hiei: [smiles dazzlingly and closes the space between them, kissing the fox spirit with vigor]
Yuusuke: The sadder the fic gets, the hornier *they* get!
Koenma: [rubs the back of his neck]
Yuusuke: Oh… [relaxes] That’s nice. [doesn’t notice he’s leaning closer to the godling]
Kuwa: [appalled] You’re doing it too, Urameshi!
Yuusuke: Huh? What?
Koenma: [quickly] Nothing, ignore him.
Yuusuke: [sits up] No, what is it?
Koenma: [starts beating on Kuwabara]
Kuwa: Ow! Itai!!
Yuusuke: [still confused]

>The fire demon didn't realize that Kurama had moved until the kitsune was right in front of him. He stood and stepped away, uncomfortable with the fox's invasion of his personal space.

Yuusuke: This is bad. This is very bad.
[Hiei’s moved into Kurama’s lap, deepening the kiss.]

>"You really are beautiful . . . Don't you believe me?" Hiei didn't answer, so Kurama continued.

Yuusuke: No! Stop before it’s too late!
Koenma: Abort ship!
Kuwa: “Woman and Mawgs first!”

>"You know, Hiei, the first thing a person has to do to find happiness is to love them self." Hiei responded to the statement by looking away. Kurama gently forced Hiei to look at him. "Hiei, you are the most beautiful person I know, inside and out."

Koenma: And Fic Kurama is now on the Titanic.
Yuusuke: [clovers his eyes] Oh, just tell me when it’s over.
[Kurama tilts his head back as Hiei sucks on his neck… Hey. Rabbits, remember?]

>The fire demon flinched, his eyes filled with disbelief. "I . . . I love you Hiei."

Koenma: [Spike] I don’t like this set-up, Jet. I don’t like it at all.
[Kurama is so caught up in what Hiei’s doing that he failed to spot the missing comma.]

>Hiei backed away, his back hitting the wall as Kurama leaned closer and kissed him softly on the lips.

Yuusuke: [Trowa] Too fast. Surprise, surprise.
Kuwa: I thought you weren’t looking.
Yuusuke: Meh.
Koenma: He slipped me his tongue!
[Ahem. The real line is, “She slipped me her tongue!” A reference a manga I’m sure none of you have read.]

>The fire demon froze at the action, unfreezing as Kurama ended the kiss.

Koenma: And pouncing at him, making the Youko fall back onto the floor.
Yuusuke: You wish.
Kuwa: Lunging at him, katana held high.
Yuusuke: More like that, yeah.

>Hiei shoved him away and fled.

Yuusuke: Or that.
[Kurama finds on one of Hiei’s earlobes, making the Jaganshi gasp softly]
Yuusuke: No, not that.
Koenma: A little too caught up in the moment, don’t you think, guys?
Kurama: [pulls away to smirk at their boss] From a certain point of view, maybe.
Hiei: I didn’t think so. [settles more comfortably on the redhead’s lap]

>Hiei ran, his mind whirling with confusion.

Yuusuke: Ukyu?
Kurama: Oro?
Koenma: Wrong shows.

>When his mind had calmed a bit, he found himself standing at the top of the tree, his eyes closed as water ran down his face from the rain that was pouring down. Being high up was his way of relaxing and clearing his mind, but it wasn't working. What had just transpired had too much implication to not think about it. The soaking rain wasn't helping matters either.

Yuusuke: He’d turned into Hiei-cha -
Hiei: You finish that sentence and you’re dead.
Yuusuke: [gulps]
Kurama: [nuzzles his Dragon] Shh…

>K'so . . . He jumped to a sturdy branch and sat, wondering what he should do. What the hell is going on . . .?

Koenma: Kurama slipped you his tongue.
Hiei: Hn. I don’t see the problem with that.
Kurama: [smirks]
Kuwa: It was the Kiss of Death.
Yuusuke: But Kurama’s not an Amazon…
Hiei: No more Ranma ½ jokes.
Yuusuke: Aww!

>Hiei wondered, touching his lips with a trembling hand. Why the hell is he doing this to me?

Yuusuke and Koenma: Because it’s in the script.
Other three: [give them strange looks]

>The fire demon sat on a sturdy branch, leaning his head against the strong trunk of the tree as he considered his feelings for the first time in a long while.

Kurama: Repetitive. He already sat down.
Koenma: [grins] Oh, by the way, you missed a missing comma back a ways.
Kurama: I what?!
Hiei: Ignore him. [kisses the Youko’s cheek]

>He sighed. I don't love him . . . Not in the way he wishes. But . . . He's a friend. I trust him. The fire demon cursed himself for not realizing that he returned Kurama's feelings of friendship.

Yuusuke: Well, it’s something to work with, I guess.
Koenma: No. Kurama’s hormones ruined it.

>Friendship . . . His stomach lurched as he thought of something.

Hiei: He slipped me something in that food!

>What if . . . Kurama always was just in love with me, and he never had any intention of being a friend? The youkai swallowed hard. What if . . . all he wanted was to bed me, and he was only setting up a ploy to gain my trust so he could do so . . .?

Kuwa: Meep.
Yuusuke: Of course, for the original versions here that’s totally untrue. It just happened. I just helped Hiei realize it. The fics helped Kurama. It wasn’t like I was manipulating them. You make me feel like their pimp, Kuwabara.
Kuwa: I didn’t say anything!

>Hiei pushed the thoughts away. They weren't something he wanted to deal with at the moment. Sleep was what he wanted. He would talk to Kurama tomorrow.

>Hiei stared at the sky, frowning as the storm seemed to pick up. He was at the same dilemma as before. He needed a place to sleep. He didn't want to risk staying with Kurama; if the fox really only wanted to bed him, he wouldn't hesitate to, now that his request was out in the open.

Kurama: It’s not like I’m some hormone-crazed teenager, story.
Yuusuke: No. But a rabbit, yes.
Koenma: A good thing neither of you is female.
[Or that this isn’t a male-pregnancy fic. Not that I have any objections to doing one. I’d quite enjoy it. But, for a change, Kurama is the victim - er, mother.]

>The youkai considered. There was no way in hell he was going to stay at the temple. Stormy nights tended to produce rather vivid nightmares, and he didn't want Yukina to hear something she shouldn't.

All but Hiei: Meep.
Hiei: Hn.

>Besides, Genkai was . . . weird.

Yuusuke: You can say that again, story!

>Every time she looked at him, it felt as if she was piercing through his mask effortlessly to look at his soul and the secrets and emotions buried beneath. It was disconcerting.

Yuusuke: Don’t worry, she does that to everyone.

>Hiei sighed. That left either Yuusuke or the Fool, and there was no way in hell he was going to show any sort of weakness in front of Kuwabara. Yuusuke, at least, he could trust not to blab anything if he had a nightmare. The ningen also had the courtesy to tease him privately rather than in front of everyone. The Jaganshi sighed. Yuusuke it is . . .

Yuusuke: I feel a heart-to-heart coming on, Hiei-papa.
Hiei: [nods]

>He flinched as thunder cracked immediately after a lightning bolt flashed across the sky, realizing he was in a high place and vulnerable. He jumped down, opting to take the low, safe route to Yuusuke's.

Hiei: Through a dark, mysterious forest… Oh wait.

>* * *

Yuusuke: [sings] You can bottle fame and brew glory, but you cannot put a stopper on my pain…
Others: [stare at him]
Yuusuke: Potter Puppet Pals. That’s Snape’s.
Others: [still stare at him]

>Yuusuke looked up from the manga he was reading

Hiei and Kurama: Fake.
Yuusuke: [sighs]

>as there was a sharp rap on his window. What the . . .? The only person who could knock on his window, five stories up, was Hiei, but that was unlikely. He glanced out the window, shocked when he found that it was, in fact, the youkai.

Yuusuke: The one, the only.

>He opened the window, glancing at the soaked fire demon. "Let me get a towel." He left the room, returning a few seconds later and handing the item to Hiei. "Give me your cloak so I can hang it up to dry." The fire demon complied silently, and Yuusuke winced as he saw that Hiei was obviously soaked. "Maybe you should change out of those wet clothes . . ."

Kurama: [glares at his human friend]
Yuusuke: [worried]
Kurama: The nerve, trying to get my Hiei out of his clothes.

>Hiei shot him a strange look. "Why?" He used his ki to dry them easily.

Yuusuke: Huzzah!
Koenma: [Hiei] And for my next trick…

>"Never mind." Yuusuke rolled his eyes. "I take it you need somewhere to stay for the night to get out of the rain?"

>"Hn."

Kurama: Translation: What do you think?

>Yuusuke took that to mean yes. "Is Kurama out of town or something?" Hiei shook his head, indicating the negative. Yuusuke raised his eyebrows. He knew that Hiei sometimes stayed with Kurama during bad weather. "Er . . . Not that you're not welcome, but . . . Why are you here then?"

>"Hn."

Kurama: Translation: None of your fucking business. With a couple of exclamation marks thrown in for good measure.

>Yuusuke frowned, noticing from years of translating Hiei-speak, that the inflection of the fire demon's voice had changed. "Did you guys have an argument?" He sounds almost . . . upset. For Hiei.

Yuusuke: Oh, now I’m doing it too.
Koenma: What?
Yuusuke: Same thing Kurama did. Just making it worse.
Kuwa: You’re going to kiss him too?!
Yuusuke: [sighs] That’s not what I meant.

>Hiei scowled inwardly. He wondered what Yuusuke meant by that, then beat the thoughts down as his rational mind made a comeback with the assertion that he was reading too much into the question. "Hn . . ."

Hiei: [sardonic] Oh, yeah, that’s going to work.

>That definitely means yes. "Did you want to talk about it?" Yuusuke winced as he said that. This was Hiei! Of course he wasn't going to want to talk about it. His eyes widened in surprise as Hiei seemed to hesitate. "Do you? You can trust me."

Hiei: You were right.
Yuusuke: I calls ‘em as I sees ‘em.

>I already made the mistake of ignoring Kurama's wish for friendship . . . Hiei sighed heavily, sitting down on the floor. "I guess . . ." He felt stupid saying it, but he couldn't turn back. He'd feel even more like an ass if he did.

Koenma: [Hiei] Could you help me find my tail?
Yuusuke: You know Eeyore is masochistic, right? That tail is attached by a pin.
Koenma: … Ow.

>Yuusuke sat down facing Hiei, shocked by the fire demon's strange openness, but endeavoring to hide it. "Go ahead."

Yuusuke: [Hiei] Well, there was this one time at band camp -
Hiei: [hits him]

>Hiei sighed softly. "I don't know . . ."

Koenma: [Hiei] I forgot my lines.
Yuusuke: [Hiei] I don't think the flute will fit *there*.

>He paused, not sure how to explain. "I was at Kurama's . . . but . . ." The fire demon took a deep breath, struggling with the concept of discussing his feelings with anyone--including himself.

Yuusuke: But I thought not talking to himself was good.
Koenma: Not when it's figuring out emotions.
Yuusuke: Oh... That's cool then.

"He was talking, and he . . . said he loves me . . . and . . ." the fire demon trailed off, one hand reaching up absently to touch his lips.
>The ningen raised his eyebrows.

Kurama: Ready to throw them.

>Kurama had kissed Hiei, obviously, and the fire demon was having a hard time dealing with it--as was to be expected from someone who ignored his emotions.

Yuusuke: What am I, a mind reader?
Koenma: Good guesser?
Kuwa: You haven’t seen the scores on his tests, have you?

>Yuusuke sighed. "Well, I can't say I'm surprised by that . . . I was actually starting to wonder if you two had something like that between you."

Yuusuke: True.
Koenma: Everyone does. The Yaoi fics speak for themselves.

>He noticed that Hiei didn't look at him. "So what do you think of that?" Hiei having a heart-to-heart with anyone is surprising enough, much less him having one with me. This is just weird . . .

Hiei: That first time, I was tempted to ask Yukina for advice and not Yuusuke.
Yuusuke: Why didn’t you?
Hiei: … She’s my *sister*.
Kuwa: [understands] Ah.
Yuusuke: [doesn’t] So?
Hiei: [sighs] Never mind.

>"I . . ." Hiei paused. "That's the problem. I don't . . . really feel like that for him . . ." The fire demon sighed. "And . . . It makes me wonder if he ever truly wanted to be my friend or . . ." He trailed off.

>"Or if it was all fake?" Yuusuke finished.

Yuusuke: Don’t blame manga for this.
Kurama: I don’t know, you keep telling people to yell at the Tokyo Tower.
Yuusuke: No, no. That’s blaming *Clamp.*

>Hiei nodded. Would Kurama really do that? The ningen rested his head on his palm, thinking.

Hiei: Uh oh.
Yuusuke: Ha ha.

>Well . . . He was the youko.

Yuusuke: The one. The only.

>It's possible, but I doubt it. He probably fell in love with Hiei after becoming friends with him.

Yuusuke: And didn’t realize it until years later. Which is so cute!
Kurama: Bah.

>"I don't think that's what happened . . ." He quickly realized that most people would be disgusted by Kurama's action, but he had taken the news in stride.

Hiei: He himself or “me?”
Kurama: Yuusuke, I think.

>Interesting . . . And Hiei doesn't seem adverse to the idea . . .

Yuusuke: Since he was straddling Kurama a few minutes ago, I think it’s definitely not *adverse*…
Kuwa: The Hiei in the story.
Yuusuke: Meh. Hiei-papa, you gotta get rid of your clones; they’re starting to confuse me.
Hiei: [snorts] If only.

>It's just that the feelings aren't there for him . . . "Have you talked to him?"

Yuusuke: Poor Hiei. Those feelings were supposed to support him!
Kurama: [rolls his eyes]
Hiei: No, only after sex. I think I told you that before.

>Hiei flinched, startling Yuusuke. "No. I . . . left."

Koenma: [Hiei] No, it was right! Right, I tell you!

>Yuusuke felt the proverbial light bulb switch on.

Hiei: [snickers]
Yuusuke: [sighs]
Koenma: [pats his shoulder]

>Not only was Hiei confused about that, but his pride was bruised because he had to retreat.

Koenma: Now I’m picturing a Monty Python-esque scene. And Kurama is the man-killing rabbit.
Kurama: Fox, thank you very much
Hiei: No, no. It's man-eating *plants*...
Kuwa: Oi, does that mean they don't eat women?
Yuusuke: We should throw them Randy to be sure.
Hiei: [smirks] There's a thought.

>"You should."
>Hiei kept his gave riveted on the floor. "I will."

Yuusuke: [himself] Is the floor that interesting?
Hiei: [himself] Well, they are *on* the floor…
Kurama: Dragon.
Kuwa: Ew…

>"When?"

Yuusuke: Soon.
Koenma: How soon?
Kurama: [sings] When. Where. Who. Which…

>"Tomorrow."

Yuusuke: [sings] Tomorrow, tomorrow. I’ll love ya, tomorrow -
Kurama: That’s all we need, Little Orphan Yuusuke.
Hiei: I'm not raising him!
Yuusuke: Aw, but I love you, Hiei-papa-warbucks...
Hiei: [stares] Koenma, unless you want your boyfriend in several pieces, keep him away from me.
Koenma: Yuu-chan, quit.
Yuusuke: [snickers] Okay, okay.

>Yuusuke nodded, about to get up when he thought of something else. "Hey, Hiei?" The fire demon looked up. "Why did you talk to me? It's not really . . . normal for you . . ."

Hiei: [himself] Oh, will you stop asking all these annoying questions?!
Kurama: [Hiei] What is this normal you speak of?

>Hiei looked away again, his eyes distant. "I . . . didn't know what else to do. And . . . I guess I can trust you . . ." A loud clap of thunder rent the air, and the fire demon jumped slightly.

Hiei: I think lightning looks pretty.
Yuusuke: [falls over laughing]
Kurama: Oh dear… [pets Hiei’s hair and watches Yuusuke roll around]
Hiei: [frowns] I keep a safe distance away…

>Yuusuke frowned. Hiei had just shown him a weakness, which was very strange. He's afraid of storms . . .? The ningen forced it from his mind. He had no business prying into Hiei's past.

Hiei: I wish all the those other ningens felt the same.
Kurama: [sings] I need somebody with a human touch…
Hiei: Shush, Imp.
Kurama: [laughs softly]

>If his friend wanted him to know, he would tell him. "Well, anytime you need a friend, I'm here."

Koenma: [Yuusuke] You know, one that’s not trying to “bed you.”
Kurama: [glares at the godling]

>". . . Thank you . . ." Hiei's lips curved upward ever so slightly, and Yuusuke grinned at the expression and the words, knowing that they meant quite a bit, coming from Hiei.

Yuusuke: Aww. A happy ending. Can we go now?

>~Owari~

Koenma: Yes.
Yuusuke: Awesome.
[Everyone runs out as the theatre doors open.]

~ Observatory ~

The Youko put his tools away and sat aside the parts he was working on earlier. Once clearing their improvised bed, he sat down and looked up at his lover. Hiei was staring out at the stars, a far away look on his face.


“Hiei?”

Hearing his name, he looked back at Kurama and his expression cleared, giving way to a small smile that softened his eyes. “It’s nothing,” he assured.

The Youko returned his smile, reaching over to touch his hand. “Tell me,” he appealed softly. “I want to know.”

Hiei hopped down onto the bedding next to him. “You can’t guess?” he asked, a smirk forming on his lips. He was teasing.

Kurama laughed softly again. “No. So tell me.”

“What if I don’t?”

“Can I at least have a hint?”

Hiei thought about that, and relented. “Alright. Ready?” The fox spirit giggled and nodded. Hiei gave him a chaste kiss on his lips. Kurama raised an eyebrow. “Still can’t figure it out?”

“Is it something I already know?” He wrapped his arms around the Youkai’s smaller frame, bringing him closer.

“I hope you do,” Hiei replied seriously.

“Ah.” The Youko grinned. “In that case,” he kissed the ward covered Jagan, “I love you too.”

Hiei snorted. “I’ve gotten so sappy.”

“Don’t worry, dear heart, I won’t tell anyone.”

“They already know.”

“Well… Mukuro doesn’t know.”

“Thank the gods. I couldn’t stand to be in the same room with her if she did.”

Kurama chuckled at that. “But don’t let the fics get to you.”

Hiei shrugged. “I know, it seems stupid, but they do sometimes.”

The redhead nodded thoughtfully, taking a deep sigh and breathing in his Dragon’s scent. “They can hit a certain chord, ne?”

Hiei nodded. “It’s irritating.”

“I think that’s the point.”

“Hn.”

*

Yuusuke was lying on his bed looking at the miniature car in his hands once again. He was *so* tempted to try some water on it… But there were some objections to that idea. First, if it really did get bigger with water, how were they supposed to get it out of the Satellite when they left? Second, the only place big enough to put it was in the Observatory or the Holocabana. In the Holocabana it would get in the way and he was pretty sure Kurama and Hiei didn’t want a car sitting in their room.

He sighed and “drove” the car along his chest, not really thinking about the car anymore. He wondered how surprised Kurama would actually be on Christmas, or if he would like the present at all. Akio Ohtori wasn’t exactly one of the Youko’s favorite characters. “Vroom…”

Someone knocked on the side of his open doorway and he looked up to see Koenma. The godling was smiling. Yuusuke sat up.

“Something up?”

Koenma shook his head. “No.” He stayed just inside the entrance. “Just bored I guess.”

Yuusuke snickered. “So you came to see me, huh? Geez, didn’t know I was an entertainment.” The words came out before he realized it. He blushed, smile faltering.

The Junior God thought for a moment, picking out his next words with caution. He didn’t want to say anything to make it worse. Then he opted to just let the slip slide. Obviously, Yuusuke was uncomfortable enough with it. “But I see you’re bored too.”

That brought another smile to the youth’s face, remembering. *I’m bored, you’re bored… Ah, memories. Gotta love ‘em. Pfft.* “Don’t stand there like that; you’re making me nervous.” Not quite true, but it was close enough. He didn’t have any suggestions for alleviating their mutual boredom. Frankly, he was starting to get sick of the Holocabana. *How times change, I guess.*

Koenma tilted his head to the side, like earlier. The pacifier was in his mouth now, however. It looked silly with the little wire attached to it. “And how would you like me to stand?”

Yuusuke blushed again. “Stupid. I meant you can come in.”

The godling walked into the room, standing beside the bed and watching Yuusuke expectantly. Yuusuke sighed exaggeratingly.

“You can sit.”

“I can?”

“*Yes*.” He folded his legs beneath him to give the other room.

Koenma took him up on his offer finally, sitting next to the human on the narrow bed. Yuusuke yawned suddenly.

“Heh. I’d *like* to take a nap,” he announced.

“Don’t let me stop you,” Koenma said smoothly.

Yuusuke blushed again, but lighter than before. “Not while you’re here.”

“Why not?”

“Because!”

“Oh, there’s a good excuse.”

Yuusuke couldn’t help it. He chuckled. Then the godling frowned and rubbed the back of his neck.

Remembering earlier in the theatre, he reached over and massaged the spot for him, not thinking about it until the deed was done. Again. Koenma sighed and leaned into his touch, but nothing more. Was he just being more extraordinarily stupid than usual or was it just Koenma’s effect on him?

Yeah, it was probably Koenma.

Studying the godling’s face, something in his mind seemed to click. *Now.* He should tell him now. Involuntarily, he took a deep breath, steeling his nerves. *Damn. It’s not like I’m lacking in courage or anything! Then again, this is different than fighting…*

“Koenma?” In the back of his head, he suddenly wondered how long it had been since he’d actually said his friend’s full name aloud. He didn’t remember.

Those hazel eyes opened when Yuusuke’s hand pulled away. The serious expression on the human’s face was foreboding. “Hmm?”

*Here goes nothing.* “Oh, nothing really. Just wanted to tell you I like you. As more than a friend. But I want to take things slow.” He jumped up abruptly from the bed and turned to the shocked Reikai Heir again. “Want to get something to eat?”

It took a moment for the words to register. Koenma blinked up at the younger man until the words finally sunk in. Then he blinked some more, trying to assure himself that what he had heard was indeed *what* he had heard. The pacifier fell out of his mouth and he realized he was supposed to say something. He said the first thing that came to mind.

“Um… There’s only fruit, though.” Instead of vegetables. Rando had finally changed the menu.

Yuusuke shrugged. His heart felt lighter and energized now. Strange, but it wasn’t a bad feeling. “Doesn’t matter. C’mon.”

Numbly, the godling followed the youth until they’d almost reached the door when he remembered what he *should* say. “Yuusuke?”

“Yeah?” He stopped to look up at him.

“I like you too.”

“Cool.” Yuusuke smiled brightly and walked out of the room. Koenma caught up to him, taking his place beside him.

“And, Yuu-chan?”

“Huh?”

“Why are you trying to hide that glove from me?”

A laugh. “I was hoping Kurama was in the kitchen.”

“Give it.”

“Make me.” The youth took off running.

“Yuu-chan!” Laughing, the Junior God ran after him. Not that he was planning on stopping him. He didn’t want to lose his place beside Yuusuke Urameshi, where he was sure he belonged.

TBC.
Man, I’m sappy when I’m tired. G’night!

The footnote from Rose’s fic, about the imposing:
1) - That's really how it goes in Japan.

[I didn’t make any remarks about it, other than the Harukami thing, because the boys would already know this, yes?]