Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Enma's Torment Theatre ❯ Happily Ever After ( Chapter 37 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Episode Thirty-Seven: Happily Ever After



Hiei felt like a coward. It had been a week since the rescue, and he had left shortly after regaining consciousness without a word to anyone. He hadn’t been able to face them, for a number of reasons. So he left, and was currently hiding and trying to think.

Not that he was getting much of that done. He was exhausted, having not slept well in a week. He wanted to curl up in Kurama’s arms more than anything right now, but Kurama had been hurt because of him. The imp had looked at him with guilt, blaming himself for what had happened, and Hiei was afraid that he would be used against Kurama again. Even so, he could hardly bear the separation right now, especially with the nightmares he was having.

It was in part the exhaustion that allowed Yuusuke to sneak up on him. “You look like shit,” was the first thing the teen said, startling Hiei. Yuusuke sat down next to him on the tree branch. “We’ve been looking for you all over, you know. Even Mukuro couldn’t find you. I had to use a Reikai device.”

Hiei didn’t feel like responding, so he remained silent. He didn’t feel like having a heart-to-heart with anyone right now.

For his part, Yuusuke didn’t seem to know what to say. They sat silently for several minutes before he spoke again. “Kurama blames himself, you know. That you left.”

The fire demon flinched. “I know.” He had known Kurama would blame himself, and had intended to talk to him, but it hadn’t happened.

“Hiei… What’s wrong?”

Hiei stared at him bleakly. “What’s *right*, Yuusuke?” The teen opened his mouth to respond, but Hiei cut him off. “Kurama looks at me with guilt, blaming himself for what Karasu did. You all look at me like that, like I’m damaged more than I already was. Because of what the fucking crow did, the future we had planned might not even happen.”

Yuusuke opened and closed his mouth a few times before finally speaking. “He still *loves* you, Hiei. The future is still there.”

Hiei shook his head. “Karasu’s bomb probably sterilized me, and I can still feel him-” He broke off and shuddered. “I don’t know if I can be there, not like this…”

“Well, if how crappy you look is any indication, you’re not doing so well on your own, either.” The fire demon glared balefully at him, but Yuusuke continued. “We care about you. I know Kurama wants to help you more than anything right now. And you *need* him right now.”

He couldn’t deny that. Hiei looked away and didn’t reply for a moment. “He’ll be upset at me for leaving.”

Yuusuke shook his head. “He’ll just be happy that you’re back.” He smiled. “I think he intends to coddle you.”

Hiei’s mouth quirked upward slightly. “Good. I think I need it.”

*

Zelgadis was more than just a little fed up with the situation. It had been a week, and Xellos had been avoiding him, presumably because he didn't want the Beastmaster to know about their relationship. Something needed to be done. Thus making up his mind, Zelgadis went to find his lover, locating him outside the temple, speaking lowly to his master. He hesitated, wondering if it was safe to interrupt--this *was* the Greater Beast after all--before clearing his throat to get their attention.

“Xellos, we need to talk.”

Xellos blinked at him. “Ah, Zelgadis-san. I'm rather busy at the moment.”

Xellas, surprisingly, grinned widely at him. “‘We need to talk’ is never a good proclamation, I’ve found, but that’s no excuse to send him away, Xellos.”

Xellos didn’t seem to know how to respond to that, which was probably good because Zelgadis was angry enough to throttle him if he was put off any longer. He was, in fact, tempted to just kiss the bastard right in front of Xellas and get it over with, especially if the priest called him -san again.

The Mazoku Lord patted the ground between her and Xellos. “Come sit with us, Zelgadis-san. Between the two of us, we should figure out what's bothering my priest.” She smiled at Xellos teasingly.

Zelgadis just stared at her for a moment, then smiled. He might as well enjoy this. They were either both screwed or Xellas wouldn't care, anyway. At least he’d get to watch Xellos squirm a bit.

Xellos shifted uneasily as he sat down. “But, Xellas-sama, nothing is bothering me. Really.”

Xellas only smiled at him. “You forget that I can tell when you are lying, Xellos.”

Zelgadis grinned at the blonde woman. “He’s not that good at it anyway,” he just had to add.

Xellos smiled weakly. “Why, Zelgadis-san, you’re getting in touch with your Mazoku side.”

“I’ve been learning from the best,” Zel retorted easily. One more -san, and he’d do it.

Xellas giggled. “You two are so friendly now! Was it more than just being kidnapped and forced to read bad fan fiction?”

“Zelgadis-san seems to--” Xellos started before Zel grabbed him and kissed him hard, taking full advantage of his open mouth.

When he pulled away, he growled, “I told you not to call me -san, Xel.”

Xellos opened and closed his mouth, glancing between his master and Zelgadis fretfully. “Zelgadis, really! Xellas-sama--”

“Xellos, have you not been giving your boyfriend enough attention?” Xellas shook her finger chidingly. “Humans don’t like that sort of thing, you know.”

Xellos stared at his master, speechless for once. The Beastmaster laughed. “Yare, yare. All the times I threw you at him and you had to get together when I wasn’t around to gloat.”

Zelgadis couldn’t help himself any longer. He threw back his head and laughed loudly. It wasn’t often that Xellos lost his cool and it was hysterical. Plus, it was relieving to know that the Greater Beast really didn’t seem to mind.

Xellos pouted. “Zel-bunny,” he whined. The chimera only laughed harder.

*

Kurama fingered the brand-new copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows that had come in the mail. He and Hiei and pre-ordered it ages ago, before Karasu had kidnapped them. They had planned to read it together. Now it was looking like he might be reading it alone.

Not that he was in the mood.

Hiei had left without a word a week ago, shortly after regaining consciousness. He hadn’t even said goodbye, and there was no indication of when he would return, or if, and Kurama was worried that perhaps Karasu *had* achieved his goal.

He picked the book up, wanting nothing more than to throw it at the wall; it reminded him of what he may have lost.

“You’re not going to read it without me, are you, Imp?” came a soft voice from beside him.

Kurama dropped the book and turned, staring at Hiei. The fire demon looked terrible, as though he hadn’t been taking proper care of himself. He reached out and pulled Hiei into a tight embrace, fighting off tears. “Gods, Hiei, I thought I’d lost you.”

“I’m sorry.” The youkai melted against him, and Kurama pulled him onto the couch. “I needed…” he trailed off, not sure how to continue, then looked up and cupped Kurama’s cheek. “I need you. Without you, nothing’s worthwhile.”

“I need you, too.” Kurama kissed him. “You look terrible, Hiei.”

Hiei smiled slightly. “Yuusuke said the same thing.” He leaned against the redhead. “I haven’t been sleeping well…”

“Or eating, I’m betting.” He rubbed the fire demon’s shoulders. “Tell you what. How about you take a nice shower, I’ll cook some dinner, and then we can call it a night.”

Hiei glanced up at him. “Add a chapter of Deathly Hallows in there, and it’s a plan.”

“Deal.”

*

Koenma stood when Yuusuke entered his office. “Did you find him? Is he okay?”

“Yeah, I found him. He looks like shit, but I think he’ll be okay. Especially if Kurama has anything to say about it.” He sighed. “He’s worried about that bomb. I didn’t really think he was that serious about wanting kids, but it’s kind of like he’s grieving.”

“I healed him, and it’s usually pretty thorough.” He frowned. “There’s no way to make sure, though, since he’s the only one of his kind.”

Yuusuke smiled. “I’m sure you fixed it, and I’d bet Yukina could fix it for sure if you didn’t.”

Koenma smiled back as Yuusuke sat on the edge of his desk, the only part of it not covered in papers. “Your faith in me is astounding.”

Yuusuke leaned forward and kissed him. “So, did you finish reading Deathly Hallows yet, or too much paperwork?”

“Too much paperwork,” Koenma sighed. “You’d think Dad would at least try to keep up with it while I’m gone.”

Yuusuke nodded. “Wanna blow this popsicle stand? We can get some dinner and go to my place and read it together. I’ve been too worried to crack it, myself.” Koenma looked somewhat surprised by this news. The tantei grinned, moving his hands up and down Koenma’s hips caressingly. “And there’s plenty we can do the rest of the night.”

“I thought you’d never ask.” Koenma embraced him, kissing him deeply.

*

The storm blew in quickly and fiercely. Koenma and Yuusuke barely noticed it, buried in a copy of Deathly Hallows on Yuusuke’s bed. Xellos and Zelgadis had been lounging in the hammock when they fell asleep, and ended up soaked—or Zel did, anyway. Lina and Kuwabara, miles away from each other, slept right through it, their snores louder than the thunder.

Hiei, however, woke at the first loud clap of thunder, panicked. He had been dreaming, and even though the rational part of his mind knew it was only a storm, the rest of it believed them to be explosions; that Karasu hadn’t been killed.

“Dragon?” Kurama’s voice was sleepy, but concerned. “Are you okay?”

The fire demon was awake, but he couldn’t pull away from his nightmare with the thunder rolling across the sky. He clung to Kurama.

The youko sat up, and leaned over him, his eyes filled with worry. “Hiei?”

Hiei pulled him down by his sidelocks, kissing him desperately. “Make it stop. Please, make it go away.”

Kurama winced as Hiei tugged his hair again at another boom, but he wanted to help. “How?”

“Make me forget.” The youkai let go of Kurama’s hair and snaked a hand under the covers, caressing him frantically.

Hiei had told Kurama earlier that he wasn’t ready, when the fox had made overtures. He hesitated. “Are you sure?”

The fire demon cringed again, then looked at him levelly, his eyes pained and tinged with fear and need. “I need you. I need to lose myself in you.”

Kurama understood; he needed the intimacy, to be reassured. He leaned down and kissed Hiei deeply, then moved down to ravish his neck and chest. Hiei responded to Kurama’s ministrations, with low moans, arching his body to the youko’s touch. He moved down slowly, nipping lightly near Hiei’s belly button and then again near the junction of his hip and leg before slowly licking up his erect member and taking the head in his mouth, sucking lightly.

Hiei made a sound between a gasp and a growl, thrusting up slightly, and Kurama played with him for a minute before he engulfed him completely, swallowing past the gag reflex. Then he did something he had learned in his other life but had never tried on Hiei; he hummed. Hiei’s reaction was immediate. He cried out in ecstasy and came.

As the fire demon slowly came back to himself, he realized that Kurama was laying beside him, gently caressing his hip. Hiei turned to face him, brushing Kurama’s erection and pulling insistently at him.

Kurama rolled onto him, and Hiei spread his legs to offer access, moving against the youko. The redhead fumbled with the nightstand, quickly pulling out the lube. He prepared Hiei briefly, and the youkai forced himself not to tense as Kurama pushed in, watching him to reassure himself.

When Kurama was fully sheathed, he leaned down and kissed Hiei, then moved slowly. Hiei countered his thrusts and their tempo increased, building a wonderful pressure in his belly that intensified to a crescendo and then released, taking all conscious thought with it.

From a distance, it seemed, he felt Kurama pull him close and heard his loving murmur, before he sank into a sated, peaceful sleep.

*

By the time he woke, the sun was already high, and all Hiei wanted to do was sink back into the pillow and go back to sleep, but Kurama was already up, his side of the bed already cool. Hiei made himself get up, and padded sleepily to the bathroom, where he quickly showered.

After throwing on some blessedly clean clothes, he headed downstairs, where he found Kurama cooking breakfast in his boxers and an apron. Hiei appreciated the view from the door for a moment before the redhead turned and smiled at him. “You looked so peaceful that I didn’t want to wake you up.”

Hiei crossed the kitchen and kissed him. “I needed the sleep, I think. Food?”

The youko nodded, hugging him. “I decided to try that egg, bacon, and cheese casserole that Zel made. It should be ready in a few minutes.”

Zelgadis had made it on their last day on the lunar base, the day Karasu had captured him. Hiei repressed a slight shiver. “Any cinnamon rolls?” he asked hopefully.

Kurama shook his head. “I couldn’t find any at the store this morning, so I bought you some Ben and Jerry’s Cinnamon Buns ice cream. I figured we could eat that while reading the rest of Deathly Hallows.”

Hiei was a little surprised by the news that Kurama had shopped while he’d been sleeping, but he brightened at the mention of ice cream and Harry Potter. “I have plenty of cinnamon buns, it seems,” he said, goosing Kurama.

The redhead laughed, and the timer for the oven dinged. “Oh, you! Go sit down.”

The fire demon rolled his eyes. “Let me get it. I don’t have to use pot holders.” He opened the oven and grabbed the casserole dish, only to yelp and pull his hands back quickly.

Kurama hurried to him, taking his hands in his. They were already slightly red. “You were *burned*. But how?”

“If my life is turning into a bad fanfic, I’m going to be pissed.” Hiei scowled. “Maybe the ward wasn’t deactivated properly? This is the first time I’ve really tried this since we got back…”

Kurama frowned, pulling him to a chair. “We’ll go to Genkai’s after breakfast and have her check it out.” He turned back toward the oven and removed the casserole, placing it on a pot-holder on the table. “I’m sure it’s easily fixed.”

*

Yuusuke and Koenma were at the temple. It looked like Koenma was trying to ask Xellas a question and was failing to get a straight answer, from how frustrated he looked. Yuusuke just looked like he was trying not to laugh. When he saw Hiei, Yuusuke headed over.

“You guys okay?” Yuusuke frowned at the bandages on Hiei’s hands.

Hiei shrugged and Kurama answered for him. “The ward might not have been deactivated. He burned himself taking a dish out of the oven today.”

“Genkai went for some sort of meditation walk. She said Lina was too loud,” Yuusuke said. “Kurama, want to help me go find her while Yukina heals his hands?” The youko nodded and they headed off toward the forest.

Hiei entered the temple, finding Yukina in the kitchen. When she saw his hands, she immediately led him to her room. “Genkai-san doesn’t usually make mistakes,” she said, frowning, as she healed his hands.

Hiei shrugged. “Everyone makes mistakes.”

Yukina nodded. “There are other things that could cause this, though. I can check to make sure nothing is wrong, oniisan.” The fire demon nodded, and Yukina checked his body with her youki. Her hand paused over his belly and she gasped.

Hiei winced. “It’s the bomb, isn’t it?”

His sister shook her head, suddenly looking excited and happy. “No, no, Hiei. You’re *pregnant*! That’s what caused it.”

Hiei stared at her, shocked. “But I can’t be. I didn’t… We weren’t *trying*.”

Yukina hugged him. “With all the stress you’ve been under, it’s entirely possible that you lost control briefly.” She laughed lightly at his flummoxed expression. “It only takes once, oniisan.”

The door opened and Genkai entered, followed by Kurama and Yuusuke. Kurama frowned at his expression. “Dragon? Are you okay?”

Yukina smiled at Hiei encouragingly, and he looked at the youko with wide eyes. “You remember how we were going to wait?”

It took Kurama a few moments to realize what Hiei was talking about. He knelt and hugged the fire demon. “It doesn’t matter, Hiei. We can always adopt.”

Hiei pushed him away, looking at him seriously. “It looks like we won’t have to.”

Kurama’s eyes widened as he understood. “You… You’re really…?” Hiei nodded, and Kurama kissed him deeply, hugging him tightly.

“I kind of need those ribs, Kurama.”

The redhead loosened his hold a bit. “I’m going to be a daddy!”

“If anyone calls me mommy, I’ll kill them.”

Genkai rolled her eyes as Kurama cuddled Hiei and began to question Yukina about Koorime pregnancies. “Guess you didn’t need me after all, Yuusuke.” The teen only grunted, looking shocked.



The End.

Notes: Rose did all of this, apart from the Zel, Xel, and Xellas part which I helped with, so give her a round of applause for finishing before she had to move to Cali!

Wow. I can’t believe it’s really over! I started this in 2003, so it’s my longest fic that didn’t manage to die after I started it. There would be a few things I would change now, but despite the errors and the pairings moving along too quickly, I think it holds up pretty well.

But yeah. It’s really over! Beg all you want for us to continue, but there’s really nothing more that we can do with them. (I’ve started a Gundam Wing msting series, but it’s nothing to do with ETT. You’re welcome to read all the same. Heh.)

If anyone is still reading this after our one year hiatus, thanks for sticking with it all this time and we’re glad you’ve enjoyed it!

~ Chrissy