Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Forever Fornever Tantei ❯ Reinforcements ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: This is the sequel to Between Death and Reality. While it isn't required that you read that first, some things referenced here may not make a whole lot of sense.
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Yu Yu Hakusho. I am not making any money from writing this. I do, however, own my plotline.
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
Chapter 3
 
Reinforcements
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
Kurama had felt the familiar presence the second he had stepped through into Demon World, but he showed no outward sign of recognition of being followed as he walked through the landscape. His shadow, however, knew him better than to take him at face value.
 
“Kurama.” The fox stopped and looked into a nearby tree and feigned surprise at the sight of his shadow.
 
“Hiei. I never expected to meet you here.”
 
“Very funny,” Hiei snorted, jumping down to face his friend. Kurama smiled. Some things would never change. “What are you doing here?”
 
“You act as if I am imposing,” Kurama remarked, mocking indignation. Hiei glowered.
 
“You've barely been gone a month. Missing your demon side already?” Kurama's eye twitched and the fire demon smirked triumphantly. Hiei 1, Kurama 0.
 
“Actually, it's just the opposite.” Hiei blinked. “It seems that while we were away, some humans found out about the existence of demons.” Hiei crossed his arms over his chest.
 
“You realize the affairs of Human World don't interest me, fox,” he said. Kurama quirked an eyebrow.
 
“Yukina lives in Human World,” he pointed out.
 
“Damnit,” Hiei scowled. Hiei 1, Kurama 1.
 
“Exactly,” Kurama agreed with a nod.
 
“Fine, then talk already. I am supposed to be patrolling, you realize.”
 
“I think Mukuro will understand.”
 
“Hn. Just talk.”
 
“I saw Gouki. Alive,” Kurama told the fire demon. Hiei blinked in surprise at this.
 
“What?” Kurama nodded. “But he's dead.”
 
“That seemed to be popular opinion… until I saw him,” Kurama replied. “He was captured and being forced to transform in front of human crowds as proof of the existence of demons.”
 
“And people believe it?”
 
“Unfortunately, yes.”
 
“That could be bad.”
 
“It gets worse. I'm sure Gouki saw me as well,” Kurama added.
 
“So you think you may be in danger. Is that why you're here? It's hardly your style,” Hiei said, regarding his friend.
 
“Yes and no,” Kurama replied.
 
“What does that mean?” Hiei demanded.
 
“I'm not going to run away from this, but I cannot kill a human if I'm revealed. And that puts Yusuke and Kuwabara in danger as well,” Kurama said simply.
 
“Kuwabara is human,” Hiei pointed out.
 
“But has worked alongside demons,” Kurama retorted. “Befriended them. I doubt persecution will stop at just demons. It will undoubtedly include those associated with them. That puts our whole group in danger.”
 
“Including Yukina,” Hiei said tightly.
 
“I think she'll be alright for the time being with Genkai around. But I highly doubt they won't eventually investigate her as well,” Kurama replied. His friend nodded.
 
“That bring us back to the question of why you are here,” Hiei reminded the fox. Kurama sighed.
 
“Truth be known, I needed to clear my head a bit and get a fresh perspective. Yusuke and Kuwabara are rarely conducive for thinking,” he told the fire demon. Hiei nodded.
 
“That is true enough.” It really was refreshing, Kurama realized, to be around Hiei, just the two of them, and it was enhanced by the scenery of his former home of Demon World. This trip might do him some good after all.
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
Mukuro looked up unsurprised as the doors of the chamber opened to admit Hiei, Kurama a half step behind him. The fox's dazzling emerald eyes were dancing with thought and emotion. Something was going on in his mind and that would be the reason for his surprise visit.
 
“Hiei,” she greeted, “and Kurama. What a surprise. Welcome.” Kurama's lips curled into a half smile, knowing his presence was not a surprise to the former ruler.
 
“You are most gracious on your welcome, Lady Mukuro,” he said smoothly. Ever the gentleman and man of tradition.
 
“Your presence honors me,” Mukuro replied, also smiling, falling into the traditional role. It was nice every now and then to play these games with a worthy partner. Hiei watched the exchange in silence. The young fire demon had never had much tradition like this in his life, though he understood its place. “Please, be seated,” she said, indicating two vacant chairs. The two demons sat.
 
“Your mind is troubled, Kurama,” Mukuro said when the two had settled themselves. “That is, undoubtedly, the reason for your visit, yes?” Kurama nodded simply.
 
“Yes, that is why I am here.” He went on to relate the details of the demon-related events that had been happening since the visit to Genkai to the two demons. When he had finished, Hiei had closed his eyes and crossed his arms, while Mukuro frowned in thought.
 
“An interesting development that never should have been,” the former ruler said finally.
 
“Indeed,” Kurama agreed gravely.
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
Kurama strolled casually through the forest, Hiei next to him. Both demons had thoughts whirling through their minds.
 
“How long do you intend to stay?” Hiei asked suddenly. Kurama frowned thoughtfully.
 
“Not more than a few days,” he replied finally. He smirked. “I don't know if I can leave Yusuke and Kuwabara along any longer than that.” Hiei snorted in agreement.
 
“That's a true enough statement.”
 
“I appreciate Mukuro's hospitality,” the fox continued. “But I'd hate to… interrupt anything.” He glanced at Hiei out of the corner of his eye and was satisfied to see the fire demon's expression torn halfway between embarrassment and a sneer. Only Kurama could catch him like that… except for maybe Mukuro now.
 
“Damn fox.” Kurama grinned. Kurama 2, Hiei 1. Hiei settled for a glower at the ground.
 
“We should be there soon, at least if they are in the same place as last time,” the red-head said, changing the subject.
 
“They are,” Hiei confirmed. “I can sense them ahead.” Kurama reached out with his mind and felt four powerful energy levels, the signatures unmistakable.
 
“Most, anyway.”
 
“Hn.” With a silent agreement, the two demons jumped into a nearby tree and made their way silently to the source of the readings from above. Stopping at a clearing and suppressing their energy, they looked down to see four training demons. Jin, Touya, Shishi, and Suzuka had already gotten stronger in the last month. Kurama smiled to himself. They were a good selection to train. Touya, who was sparring with Jin, paused and looked up.
 
“Come out,” he called. Kurama exchanged a slightly surprised glance with Hiei, and both jumped down to face the other four.
 
“Kurama!” Touya greeted in surprise. “Hiei. What are you doing here?”
 
“Back so soon?” Jin asked from his sitting position in mid-air. Kurama smiled slightly.
 
“Yes. Trouble in Human World,” he replied. Ho looked around, confirmed the absence of two fighters.
 
“Where are Chuu and Rinku?” Hiei asked for him.
 
“Human World,” Touya replied, then blinked. “Wait, what kind of trouble in Human World would bring you here?” Kurama sighed and related the tale of the demons in Human World quickly to the four. Suzuka blinked.
 
“There are a lot of demons in Human World, especially Japan.” Kurama nodded.
 
“It's where the Kekkai had always been weakest with the most holes.”
 
“Chuu and Rinku…” Shishi trailed off.
 
“An' Yusuke `n Kuwabara!” Jin added. “An' you o' course,” he said, looking at Kurama.
 
“Where are they in Human World?” Kurama asked.
 
“Genkai's,” Touya answered. Kurama nodded in relief.
 
“Good, that should be safe… for now anyway.”
 
“For now?” Shishi demanded.
 
“Genkai has a reputation among humans and demons. If humans are hunting demons, it won't be long until they look into her,” Kurama answered. “And she's not the only one at the temple.”
 
“Yukina!” Jin exclaimed. Hiei's features grew hard.
 
“We need to do something,” Suzuka said.
 
“We can't just bring all those in danger to Demon World,” Hiei said sharply. Kurama nodded.
 
“That would only delay the problem, even if we could. We have to face it head on.”
 
“How?” Touya asked. Kurama sighed.
 
“That's why I'm here.”
 
“We'll help,” the ice master said and the other three nodded. Kurama smiled gratefully.
 
“Glad to hear it.”
 
“I'll tell Mukuro,” Hiei said. “Bring them.” Kurama nodded and the fire demon disappeared in a black blur.
 
“Mukuro?” Suzuka asked with a raised eyebrow.
 
“Has been kind enough to allow me to stay with her while I'm here. Now you've been invited as well,” Kurama replied with a shrug. “I've already spoken to her about Human World and it was she who suggested I find you.” Four sets of eyes widened at this.
 
“How long?” Touya asked.
 
“A few days, max,” Kurama replied.
 
“Let's go then!” Jin said excitedly. Kurama couldn't help but smile at the enthusiasm.
 
“Let's.”
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
Mukuro's private sitting room was filled with seven demons, each silent with their own thoughts. The silence was suddenly broken by a beeping. Several of the demons jumped in surprise, but the owner merely pulled out an object that resembled a compact and opened it.
 
“Kurama!” Botan exclaimed. “Are you watching this?” Emerald eyes blinked.
 
“Watching what?” Kurama asked.
 
“The news!”
 
“I'm not exactly near a TV,” the red-head replied. “Why?”
 
“It's crazy, you have to- wait, where are you?” Botan said, changing the subject quietly.
 
“Demon World,” Kurama answered of simply. Botan blinked.
 
“Demon World?”
 
“Mukuro's, to be exact,” the red-head specified.
 
“Why in the world are you there?”
 
“Out of necessity,” Kurama replied. It was that moment that Jin, Touya, Sukuza, and Shishi chose to peer over Kurama's shoulder to see who was on the other end. Botan's eyes widened slightly at the sight of the four demons. Kurama grinned. “Necessity,” he repeated.
 
“Where are Chuu and Rinku?” Botan asked as she looked at the demons.
 
“Human World,” Touya replied.
 
“Human World? Oh dear,” Botan said with a nervous gasp.
 
“What?” Kurama asked at the nervous tone.
 
“That reminds me, why I called in the first place! The news!” Botan exclaimed.
 
“Well?”
 
“Demons on the news! Maybe I should just patch it through to you,” the ferry girl said.
 
“You can do that?” Suzuka asked in surprise. Botan grinned.
 
“Of course I can, silly!” Jin whistled.
 
“Not bad!” Botan laughed.
 
“Um, Botan…?” Kurama prodded gently.
 
“Oh, right! The news.” A moment passed and the screen switched from the blue-haired ferry girl to a human news station. On the screen were a large crowd of people and a large white truck on the street. Curious, Hiei and Mukuro crowded around the communicator with the other demons.
 
“Our breaking news story tonight, an exclusive view of a demon bust,” the announcer said behind the picture. Kurama inhaled sharply. “The demons were first spotted several days ago by neighbors in this apartment building. They reported four men in trench coats and hats coming and going from the alley during all hours of the night. Reports of strange noises were also filed. Today, the newly formed Demon Containment Division responded to a call. On their arrival, they found a group of nonhumans. Here they are now!”
 
Out from the alley filed four defeated creatures. The first had green skin; the second was blue with an extra eye; the third was brown with one eye; the final was a shade of maroon. All four had their eyes downcast and their hands were bound in front of them. The crowd split as they walked forward to the truck.
 
Behind them was a group of strong looking men. Each held something in their hands, but they were too small to be seen on the screen.
 
“As you can see,” the reporter continued, “the demons have been pacified so they are no longer a threat to the human populace.” The demons were forced into the back of a truck that resembled a prison transport truck. “They will now be taken to a top-secret location where they will pose no more threat.” The doors closed and the men got into the white truck. “People are reminded to call the hotline at any sightings of demons or suspicious behavior.”
 
The screen went blank before Botan's face appeared once more, this time her features grave. Kurama blinked a few times.
 
“Well?” she said.
 
“Low-class trash,” Hiei growled scathingly.
 
“That may be, but they were still stronger than a human,” Kurama pointed out, “and they were subdued.”
 
“The question now becomes what they will recognize as demons,” Mukuro said. Kurama nodded.
 
“Those four were obviously not human, but there are many that have a humanoid appearance.”
 
“Do you have any idea where their `top-secret location' is?” Touya asked suddenly. Botan shook her head.
 
“We aren't able to track them for some reason,” the ferry girl replied solemnly.
 
“Then what is there to do?” Suzuka asked.
 
“Get Chuu and Rinku out, for one,” Hiei said simply.
 
“Yes,” Kurama agreed.
 
“We'll all go,” Touya said.
 
“It's too dangerous,” Mukuro disagreed. “Kurama and Hiei would be more than enough.”
 
“We don't know that for sure,” Touya argued.
 
“Saf'ty in numbers!” Jin agreed.
 
“If it's there and back, all of us going won't be a problem, right?” Shishi added. Mukuro sighed.
 
“Alright then, but be careful,” the former ruler said. “And be quick.” Kurama rose.
 
“As quick as possible,” he agreed.
 
“Then leave in the morning,” Mukuro said.
 
“Do we have that much time to spare?” Touya asked.
 
“If they remain at Genkai's, then it should be plenty of time,” Kurama said.
 
“I'll inform Koenma,” Botan said. Kurama nodded and Botan's face disappeared from the screen. Kurama turned to the group.
 
“Morning it is.”
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
Kurama sat in his chambers, watching the sun set. It had been a long time since he could enjoy a sunset in his former home, though the events of the previous day loomed heavily on the fox's mind. He blinked at the sound of a door opening and closing softly.
 
“Hiei,” Kurama greeted without looking up. The fire demon remained silent as he stood next to the fox at the window. The two stood in companionable silence for awhile before either ventured to speak. “Do you sense it?” the red-head asked quietly.
 
“What?”
 
“Something,” Kurama replied noncommittally. “Something is happening. What, I don't know.”
 
“Something is coming,” Hiei commented in agreement.
 
“Yes.” A pause. “It never seems to last.”
 
“What?”
 
“The peace.”
 
“No.”
 
“It must be fate.”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Hiei?”
 
“Hn?”
 
“Thanks.”
 
“Hn.”
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
Author's Note: It's been awhile since the last update, and I'm sorry for that, but senior year is keeping me real busy. On top of that, softball conditioning has started and I got a nasty cold. But anyway, here is the update. Hope you liked. You know you want to hit that nice little button and submit a review. All the cool people are doing it!