Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Forever Fornever Tantei ❯ Ominous Premonitions ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: This is the sequel to Between Death and Reality. While it isn't required that you read that first, some things referenced here may not make a whole lot of sense.
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Yu Yu Hakusho. I am not making any money from writing this. I do, however, own my plotline.
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
Chapter 8
 
Ominous Premonitions
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
The sun was setting on the cold winter evening, though Kurama was in no hurry to return home. He, however, seemed to be the only one who felt this way; those humans that were out and about as the last rays of light were fading from the sky were hurrying to get home before darkness fell. No rule had been imposed declaring a nighttime curfew or anything of the like, but with demons being captured left and right, humans feared to be outside when it was no longer light. Little did they know that the very creatures that they were afraid of were also in hiding, afraid of being seen by those that feared them, as they might be reported and captured. Nothing had been heard of those demons that had already been captured… and sometimes no news was not good news.
 
Kurama walked slowly down the main street that was nearly devoid of people by now. Hands in his jacket pockets to keep them warm, he walked, his mind elsewhere. His thoughts drifted to the group's mysterious shadows. Since the first occurrence, there had been others. What bothered Kurama - and Hiei too, especially - was the fact that their shadows left no trace. The fox had a feeling that this incident was tied to the demon capturing group, as they were all but impossible to trace as well. And that fact did not sit well with either Kurama or Hiei.
 
It was probably due to his mind being on other things that kept Kurama from noticing the four demons that sprang from the alley he was walking by before he reached said alley. He blinked when he realized they had surrounded him and mentally berated himself for his lack of awareness of his surroundings. The fox studied the creatures before him. They were what the typical human would think a demon to be: ragged and evil looking in appearance with unnatural skin and eye colors… among other things. The red-head frowned. None of these demons could have been any more powerful that middle-C class. And while Kurama's human form was less powerful that his demon form and he was suppressing his energy - he had been since demons had been targeted as a safety precaution - he was still obviously more powerful than those that surrounded him.
 
“Kurama,” one of the demons spat. Kurama watched impassively, waiting to see what the demon would do. It hardly surprised the fox that the demons knew who he was. He hadn't exactly been hiding these last three years, or who had been associating with. “You bastard.” Kurama blinked.
 
“What?” the fox asked, wondering where this was going. If the demons had been planning to attack him, they would have done so already.
 
“You miserable bastard,” another demon growled. “It's not fair.”
 
“What's not fair?” Kurama asked, slightly snappishly. He could already feel his patience fading. He had had a long day and a poor night sleep on top of it.
 
“You and your friends have all that damn power and here you are, walking freely on the streets with the rest of the humans,” the first one replied scathingly.
 
“You and your Tantei friends,” one of the demons behind Kurama spat. The fox knew most demons held no love for the Spirit Detective team, but even fewer would dare approach a former member of the Tantei. Even though the Tantei had disbanded, demons remembered and held grudges, but most knew they were outclassed and held their anger in silence or mutterings between groups of them.
 
“You realize the Spirit Detective team is no more,” Kurama said. “We disbanded two years ago.” Of course, demons knew that, but Kurama felt like it needed to be said at this point.
 
“Everyone knows that,” the fourth demons growled, also from behind the fox. “But that doesn't change what you once were. Traitor.”
 
“And you walk free while the rest of us are forced to hide like rats in the shadows,” the second grumbled.
 
“Is that all you have to say to me?” Kurama asked irritably. The demons in front of him took an involuntary step backwards. They knew Kurama was normally detached with his emotions in battle, so seeing something like impatience spring up made the weaker apparitions nervous. They obviously just remembered how much weaker they were than the fox.
 
“What does that mean?” the third demons demanded, not taking the hint in Kurama's tone that he was annoyed with the interruption.
 
“It means I have better things to do with my time than listen to the complaints of the likes of you,” the fox replied evenly. “Yes, my friends and I have been safe so far. That's good for you as well.” Despite themselves, the low-class demons exchanged confused glances at this.
 
“Huh?”
 
“The longer we are free, the more chances we will have of figuring out who is behind this and stopping them.”
 
“But you're not Reikai Tantei any more,” the fourth pointed out.
 
“That hardly means we'll stop fighting,” Kurama snorted before his voice turned hard and cold. “Now, if you value your lives, you'll leave me be.” The front demons backed off another few steps.
 
“You wouldn't kill us,” the fourth demon said. “You'll draw attention to yourself.” Kurama's lips twitched.
 
“To be a good thief require stealth,” he said silkily, sounding much more like his Youko-self than Kurama. “And I was one of the best.”
 
“Youko,” the third breathed suddenly and fearfully. The demons shared glances once more before running off in different directions with no concern for where they were going, other than it was away from the legendary bandit. Kurama sighed when the demons were out of hearing range. That behavior was more suited to Demon World than Human World… but it got rid of the annoyances, so it fulfilled its purpose.
 
Kurama began walking home once more, although this time a bit more quickly, as he just felt his shadow return.
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
Sitting alone in his living room, Kurama flipped through the television channels hoping to find something that was not related to demons to watch. But the more he flipped, the more in vain his attempts seemed to become. Every news channel was reporting some demon capture or talking about past demon captures. All this media coverage was really beginning to grate on the fox's nerves. Demons just seemed to be all around him, no matter where he went - ignoring the fact that he himself was one.
 
Whenever he returned to visit his family, Shuichi would invariably want to talk about demons with his older brother or be reading about demons or watching something about them on television. As discreetly as he could, Kurama had asked his mother and step-father whether they thought it was wise for Shuichi to be so consumed with this, but they had replied that since it was an important current event that affected all of their lives, it was good for him to be well versed in his knowledge.
 
Many of his classes at the university tended to fall into a classroom debate on the issue, which was also getting old to the fox. Against his better judgment, Kurama continued to deny the existence - but more recently the threat - of demons to humankind. He had to be careful of what he told his classmates, as not to compromise his already precarious position in the world, but deep down somewhere he hoped he could convince at least one person that this paranoia was absurd. But then again, those who said such things were often reported and were watching from then on out with no secrecy behind that. Thus, the number of dissenters was very small. Kurama hoped that those in his classes merely saw his contradictions as him trying to play devil's advocate and be able to argue both sides of the issue. That was, after all, something that institutions of higher learning encouraged.
 
Finally deciding that finding something unrelated to demons was either not going to happen or was not worth the effort, Kurama shut off the television with more force than necessary and threw the remote down on the table in a rare display of a temper. The batteries went flying off in all directions and Kurama groaned irritably.
 
“Nothing on?” Kurama looked up at the voice to see Hiei slipping in through his window. The fire demon was smirking slightly. It tended to amuse him when Kurama was in a mood like his current one.
 
“Unless you want to watch continual coverage on demons,” Kurama replied, his tone indicating his annoyance with the current state of affairs.
 
“Something new and different,” Hiei said and Kurama snorted.
 
“Right.” Hiei made his way over to the couch and sat across from his friend. Kurama idly realized that his furniture seemed to be some of the only furniture that the fire demon was actually willing to sit on. In the Human World, anyway. The two demons sat in silence before Kurama looked over at Hiei.
 
“So what is it tonight” he asked, referring to the reason behind the fire demon's current visit. Hiei looked over at the red-head.
 
“Do I need a reason?” Kurama nearly snorted again.
 
“You, Hiei, always need a reason.” Hiei shrugged.
 
“Fair enough.”
 
“Well?” Kurama prodded. Hiei remained silent and shrugged his shoulders uncomfortably. The fox was taken aback by his friend's strange behavior. “What is it, Hiei?”
 
“A feeling,” the fire demon replied finally and Kurama blinked at this. That was a very un-Hiei-liked response.
 
“What kind of feeling?” Kurama asked, now interested.
 
“Ominous,” Hiei replied. Kurama remained silent, waiting for his friend to sort out the thoughts that had to have been bothering him for awhile now for him to come see Kurama about them. That was something the two demons did for one another: allowed the other to sort through their thoughts and attempt to help, even if it was just to give an ear to listen. Hiei was there for Kurama after Karasu's return several years prior for this fox to sort through his confused thoughts and Kurama had been there when Hiei began to realize his feelings for Mukuro, and countless other times. It was just part of their relationship.
 
“Something is coming,” Hiei said at length. “Something dark.”
 
“What kind of something?” Kurama asked. “A person? An event?” Hiei frowned thoughtfully.
 
“Perhaps both,” he replied finally. “I just can feel something on the horizon.” Kurama nodded his understanding.
 
“Considering the current situation, that does not surprise me,” the fox said. “Things have been quiet for too long.”
 
“Define quiet,” Hiei snorted and Kurama laughed.
 
“That is a good point.” Hiei looked over at the remote that was now in several pieces since Kurama threw it.
 
“How many today?” he asked, referring to the numbering of demons that had been caught. Kurama shook his head.
 
“I don't know. I was trying to avoid finding out for just one day,” the red-head replied with a heavy sigh. “But I suppose there is no running from it.” Hiei shook his head.
 
“No, there isn't.” Kurama bent over and picked up the batteries and replied them in the remote. He clicked the power button and the television burst into life once more.
 
“Shall we find out?” Hiei shrugged noncommittally as the screen focused.
 
“Tonight's top story,” the news anchor reported, “the arrest of a group of humans for their expected involvement with demons.” The screen switched to a feed of men in blue jackets leading several handcuffed men and women to a van. Kurama could feel his eyes widened at this news.
 
“Another small faction that was suspected in demon-related activity managed to elude capture. Their current whereabouts and plans are currently unknown, but they are being searched for by the Organization.” The `Organization' was the name the media had chosen to bestow upon the secret government operative that captured demons.
 
“They've begun to target humans as well,” Kurama breathed. “That cannot be good.” Kurama looked over at Hiei, half expecting a dry remark about how humans deserved such a fat, but none was forthcoming, as Hiei was well aware of what this new development could mean for their group. The fire demon rose.
 
“I should inform Genkai,” he said, but Kurama shook his head, rising as well.
 
“I can do it much more quickly,” he said and Hiei quirked an eyebrow at the fox, as if asking if he had just dared to challenge his speed. Kurama shook his head to attempt to placate the demon. “The telephone,” he said and Hiei blinked, following the fox's gaze over to the phone.
 
“Hn.” Kurama grinned to himself as he reached for the receiver. Kurama 9, Hiei 7.
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
As the next days turned into weeks, more and more humans who were suspected of `consorting with demons' as it were, were captured alongside demons, though Kurama had a sneaking suspicion that they were not taken to the same place as the demons, which meant that there had to be at least two tangible places that the Organization had at their disposal; which meant there were two tangible buildings and several vans - at least - that no one could track and this bothered the fox. But while more and more humans and demons were captured, news of escaped demons and humans who were set to be captured also was on the news constantly.
 
Another development that bothered the fox was the way people began to look at each other. With humans being accused, people began to look over their shoulders a little more often than before. Eye contact was only made when necessary and tempers were starting to run high, as well as threats of accusation. If one wanted another to do something, all that need to be done was hang the threat of reporting them over their head, whether they were innocent or not.
 
It was times like these that humans distinctly reminded Kurama of demons.
 
One had to be careful of what they said within the hearing range of others. People were becoming instinctually paranoid about their neighbors and would jump at the chance for reporting some strange behavior.
 
It was for these reasons that Kurama, Yusuke, and Kuwabara had to work to be as ordinary as possible, though it was more difficult for Kurama, as those around him expected a certain level of extraordinariness from him. But the fox had to tone down his intellect; Yusuke had to tone down his fighting; and Kuwabara had to hide his sixth sense. It made life tricky for the ex-Tantei.
 
They also had to worry about those around them. Keiko, Shizuru, and Genkai would be in the most danger if the ex-Tantei were discovered, as they knew of the boys' identities. Atsuko and Kurama's family were also in jeopardy, but to a lesser extent due to their ignorance of the truth of the situation, though that did not serve to placate Yusuke and Kurama's worry for them.
 
And thus, as the days turned to weeks, they all had to walk a fine line…
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
“With all these humans being captured, it really becomes obvious the truth we've been blind to so long where it comes to supernatural occurrences. Don't you think so, Minamino?” Kurama groaned to himself as the daily debate was once again turned on him in class - considering he seemed to be the only one of dissenting opinion on the matter of demons.
 
“I think you know my answer by now, Takeda,” Kurama retorted, earning a chuckle from some of his other classmates.
 
“Spell it out for me,” Takeda countered and Kurama had to fight himself not to rub his temples. His nights had not been restful since the arrest of those first humans.
 
“Where is the evidence against the captured humans?” Kurama asked finally. “What proof is there that they have done anything wrong, except for the word of the Organization? Are we giving them too much credit? I think so.”
 
“`Question all authority',” the professor spoke up. “Is that not the lesson we have learned from many of the ancients?” It seemed today he was playing devil's advocate, for which Kurama was grateful. All the horrible demons he had faced and the fights he had been in could never have prepared him for a human college philosophy class. These kids could be brutal with their words.
 
“What about those who run? Is that not the behavior of a guilty party?” Takeda argued. “What do they have to fear if they are innocent?”
 
“Unjustified imprisonment,” Kurama replied. “In a place no one can find for an undisclosed amount of time judged proper by those who did the capturing. I know I would run from fear of something like that.”
 
“Is that a confession?” another student - who obviously bought into the Organization's propaganda - broke in heatedly. Kurama blinked.
 
“A confession?”
 
“Just because one argues for an issue does not mean they necessarily believe in it,” the professor cut in again. “It is common practice for intellectuals to argue their opposite viewpoint in order to learn more not only about their own viewpoint, but why others believe differently. Isn't that right, Suuichi?” Kurama slipped down slightly in his chair.
 
“Something like that,” he replied. But before another word could be spoken, the intercom burst into life.
 
“Professors, please tune your televisions to channel six. There will be a news briefing for all to see in five minutes.” Everyone looked around at each other, wondering what this could mean. Kurama suddenly felt that ominous feeling Hiei was talking about before in his own gut as his professor turned on the television.
 
“I don't know what this is about,” the professor told the class, “but I suppose we will find out soon enough.” The five minutes seemed to pass by in agonizing slowness, as everyone waited apprehensively for the broadcast to begin. Finally, the static flickered to life and a news reporter sat at the desk in front of the camera.
 
“Good afternoon, Japan. We interrupt your regularly scheduled programs and activities for very important breaking news.” He paused a moment before continuing to speak. “We have learned of the whereabouts of four highly powerful and dangerous fighters in this world that far surpass any of the others that have been apprehended thus far. Three are demon and one is human.”
 
Four? Kurama thought in numb fear. Three demon and one human? It can't be…
 
“They are to be considered highly dangerous and human enemy number one. They are a group of misfits that have gone by the name of `Reikai Tantei.'”
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
End Chapter 8