Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Forever Fornever Tantei ❯ On the Run ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: This is the sequel to Between Death and Reality. While it isn't required that you read that first, some things referenced here may not make a whole lot of sense.
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Yu Yu Hakusho. I am not making any money from writing this. I do, however, own my plotline.
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
Chapter 9
 
On the Run
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
“They are to be considered highly dangerous and human threat number one. They are a group of misfits that have gone by the name of `Reikai Tantei.'” Kurama's jaw dropped. He knew what was coming next but could do nothing to prevent it or to protect himself from the imminent backlash. Instead, he sat in frozen silence in his seat, watching on almost blankly.
 
“Reikai Tantei? What does that mean?” one classmate asked.
 
“Three demons and a human?”
 
“More powerful than anything else?” The entire class had burst into excited and nervous chatter - except for Kurama. The professor turned up the volume on the television so they could hear the rest of the report.
 
This is not happening, Kurama thought to himself, horrified. This cannot be real… can it? He closed his eyes shut and opened them once more, but nothing had changed. I guess it can. The fox knew very well what coming next. If they knew of the name `Reikai Tantei,' then they would undoubtedly know all their identities as well. This could only end poorly.
 
“All four `Tantei' are currently in our world, along with their allies - both human and demon.” The class went silent when the reported began speaking once more, anxious to hear more of this new `threat.'
 
“The leader of the group is the Toushin Yusuke Urameshi. Age 17 and currently enrolled in school. He is the most powerful of the team in terms of pure power.” A video clip suddenly came to life on the screen of Yusuke fighting during the Dark Tournament.
 
Where could they have gotten this footage? Kurama wondered as he watched Yusuke and Chuu trading punches. Then again, how did they know who we were in the first place?
 
“Urameshi is exceptionally strong with his fists and his Spirit Gun, which he shoots from his finger.” The image on the screen became a shot of Yusuke firing his Spirit Gun at… Yomi?
 
Wait… The Demon World Tournament? The Dark Tournament, alright. That took place in Human World. But the Demon World Tournament took place in Makai. What is going on? The rest of the class gasped at the energy Yusuke's finger emitted on the screen.
 
“Next, the only human member of the group, Kazuma Kuwabara. Age 17, he is also enrolled in school. Kuwabara relies on his strong sixth sense and Spirit Sword in a fight. While he is the weakest member of the team, he is not to be underestimated.” Yusuke's image became Kuwabara knocking Risho into the stands. The class muttered to themselves about hearing rumors about these two punks.
 
“The third member of the team is a fire demon whose speed cannot be matched. Hiei Jaganshi. Age unknown. He is a swords-master who controls the Jagan - an Evil Eye that gives him telepathic powers.” Kuwabara's image became Hiei summoning his Darkness Flame against Zeru. “His speed and skill with a katana is only surpassed by his Dragon of the Darkness Flame, which is a flame of the Demon World.” The maniacal look on Hiei's face as he summoned the Flame caused shivers among the class. Kurama partly couldn't blame them, as Hiei was definitely scary in his own right. He felt a weight settling in his stomach; he knew what was coming next. It figured he had to be last.
 
“And the final member of the team is a demon the community once looked to as its shining star student.” Kurama's stomach rolled nervously. “One Suuichi Minamino. True name: Youko Kurama. Age: 18 as a human and over one thousand as a demon.” Kurama's face came up on the screen; the footage came from his fight against Roto. The fox was surprised when none of his classmates looked back at him. “He is a fox demon of unparalleled intellect. He is a plant master and favors his Rose Whip. He can transform between his human and demon forms at will.” The screen showed Kurama summoning the Death Plant to brutally kill Roto; most of the class found themselves unable to continue watching the screen after that scene. Instead, they all turned to look at him, fear evident in their eyes.
 
“These four fighters are extremely dangerous and should not be approached. Call the hotline with any news of their whereabouts.”
 
“Suuichi…?”
 
“You…”
 
“Demon!”
 
“No wonder you argued against demons if you were one yourself,” Takeda said softly.
 
“I argued against the threat,” Kurama whispered, suddenly realizing he was on his feet. He wondered when that had happened. “Because we're not all bad. We're not all what they tell you.”
 
“So it's true?” the professor asked and Kurama paused a moment before nodding.
 
“But you don't know the whole story,” he said emotionally, but the professor shook his head.
 
“No, we don't.” He pursed his lips a moment, studying the red-head silently. “And I should like to hear it someday. I can see in your eyes that you are not evil, Suuichi.” Kurama stared in surprise at the professor. That was a very Genkai-like reply.
 
“Sir, can we really…?” a student broke in.
 
“Suuichi - Kurama - whoever you are, go. They will come for you,” the professor said, watching him. “I believe what I see in your eyes and it is not evil. He looked up at the sounds of a large number of footsteps approaching. “Now go!” Kurama looked at the professor, then at his classmates, then back to the professor before nodding.
 
“Thank you.”
 
“Go.” It was Takeda. “Just go.” Kurama nodded before running out the door, all the while resisting the urge to look back once more.
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
“They are a group of misfits that have gone by the name of `Reikai Tantei.'” Kuwabara turned back to look at Yusuke, eyes wide as the television reporter spoke of their group… the once that was supposed to be top secret. The former Spirit Detective's face had lost some color at this and his mocha eyes danced with concern and sudden fear, but the rest of his face gave away nothing else. He had been studying Kurama to learn the fine art of schooling his features.
 
The two boys' eyes met, silently asking one another whether or not this was really happening. Was the human news really reporting of their identities to their peers? If they knew the nickname that had been bestowed on their group those three and some years earlier, then they had to know of their identities as well. And then they would screwed. They could attempt to leave now, but that would only raise even greater suspicion. Oh yeah, this was bad.
 
“All four `Tantei' are currently in our world, along with their allies - both human and demon.” The class was silently watching this report.
 
“The leader of the group is the Toushin Yusuke Urameshi. Age 17 and currently enrolled in school.” Yusuke froze as he heard his name spoken. He could feel gazes beginning to turn toward him as what was being said registered with his classmates. “He is the most powerful of the team in terms of pure power.” More gazes turned toward him as images of him fighting flashed on the screen. “Urameshi is exceptionally strong with his fists and his Spirit Gun, which he shoots from his finger.”
 
Well, they sure know how to build a guy up, Yusuke thought sardonically to himself. The gazes of his classmates were full of fear and shock and anger as they looked at him. But before anyone could truly react to this new development, the reporter began to speak again.
 
“Next, the only human member of the group, Kazuma Kuwabara. Age 17, he is also enrolled in school.” Gazes suddenly snapped back to the television as Yusuke's images became Kuwabara. “Kuwabara relies on his strong sixth sense and Spirit Sword in a fight. While he is the weakest member of the team,” Kuwabara turned red at this comment, “he is not to be underestimated.” The class remained silent as the reporter described Hiei and Kurama as well. At the utterance of Kurama's human name, there was a rustle of shock among the teachers and the girls especially. When the reporter finally finished speaking, angry and fearful gazes returned to Yusuke and Kuwabara.
 
“I always knew you punks were rotten to the core,” one student said finally. “It seems I wasn't aware of how right I was.” There was a muttering of agreement at this statement.
 
“Consorting with demons, Kuwabara?” another asked the orange-haired boy. “And here I thought you were better than that. We thought you were cool.” The gazes upon the two boys were so intense that they were forced from their desks towards the back wall.
 
“What do you have against humans?” someone asked. Yusuke and Kuwabara blinked.
 
“We have nothing against humans,” Yusuke said defensively. He wasn't Sensui after all.
 
“We protected humans!” Kuwabara added. “That was the point of the Tantei!”
 
“Tell us another one, traitor!”
 
“Demons are evil! Why should we believe you?”
 
“Because you don't understand!” Yusuke retorted irritably.
 
“Or maybe we understand better than you think,” the first student said. “We don't want the likes of you here!”
 
“Yeah!” came the chorus of angry voices. Yusuke looked pleadingly to the teacher, who was watching the boys with a mixture of fear and surprise. She bit her lip, then opened the door. Yusuke's eyes widened. She nodded and he nudged Kuwabara. The orange-haired boy took in the open door immediately. They slowly edged themselves towards the door without seeming obvious, though as hard as their classmates were glaring at them without really looking at them, they didn't seem to notice.
 
“Down with the demon!”
 
“Down with the traitor!”
 
When the boys were within about three meters of the door, the chants began to gain strength. They looked back to their teacher.
 
“Go!” she said forcefully and the two boys broke into a sprint to and out of the door. It seemed to take a moment after they had left fro the class to realize they were gone.
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
The moment Genkai turned had turned on the television Hiei had felt external presences approaching the temple. He blinked when he felt how many there were. None were very powerful - human, Hiei decided immediately - but there were enough to pose a problem. Killing humans was, after all, against the law; and Hiei was still a criminal.
 
“Genkai,” Hiei said quickly and the psychic looked up at him and nodded. She felt it too. The reporter came onto the screen with the news of the identities of the Tantei. Hiei's features darkened as their identities were given away to the human public. Yukina watched on horrified, hands over her wide mouth. The other six demons watched impassively, turning to either Genkai or Hiei when the reporter had finished speaking. Genkai clicked off the television with more force than necessary.
 
“That would explain the presence of the humans,” Genkai commented darkly.
 
“What?” Yukina asked in surprise, not having noticed their presence.
 
“The temple is surrounded,” Hiei said.
 
“They will come for all of us,” Genkai added. “We are accomplices to the Tantei.”
 
“We can't allow that to happen,” Touya said immediately.
 
“Touya's right,” Chuu agreed immediately.
 
“The wards to do prevent humans from approaching the temple,” Genkai said, looking at her eight demon companions.
 
“Then we'll just have to keep anyone from approaching,” Shishi said simply.
 
“We'll pool our powers and create a barrier,” Suzuka added, a mischievous smile playing on his lips.
 
“And how long do you think that will last?” Genkai demanded.
 
“Long enough to form a plan,” Hiei supplied and the other six fighters nodded. Yukina looked over at Genkai.
 
“Let's do it,” she said fiercely. Genkai was taken aback by the tone of the normally soft spoken koorime before nodding.
 
“Alright.”
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
Keiko watched on in horror from her seat as the reporter unveiled her friend's identities one by one. She sat wide-eyed and silent through the muttered reactions of her classmates. They had expressed no surprise at the news of Yusuke and Kuwabara's true identities, due to their reputations across the city. Many of her classmates had gone to school with the two before high school and had seen first-hand why they had such a reputation. There were a number of surprised gasps at Kurama's identity, however. Keiko bet some of the girls had gone to the same junior high as `Suuichi,' though a year behind him. She was amazed, however, at how easily her peers took this news to be the truth. Yes, three of the four were demons and they were very powerful, but they were protectors, not destroyers.
 
“Hey Keiko!” Keiko jerked out of her shocked reverie to see most of the class staring at her.
 
“What?” she asked shakily.
 
“Didn't you hang out with Urameshi and Kuwabara in junior high?” one girl asked. Keiko swallowed, knowing her peers would take any opportunity to connect her - or anyone else for that matter - with the demons. It was just like that now.
 
“I don't know what you're talking about,” Keiko replied, attempting to school her features. She had never been very good at it, as she had rarely needed to do so. She could not do it like Kurama. Then again, no one seemed to have that skill mastered as he did.
 
“Liar!”
 
“Urameshi's your boyfriend!”
 
“I've seen you with him. With both of them!” Keiko blinked. She knew there was no more point in attempting to deny the connection between the two of them.
 
“But you think I knew what he was?” she asked in a vain attempt to keep herself from becoming a target as well. If Yusuke found out she was being targeted as well, she knew what he might to in order to protect her, and he didn't need that to his name. Not now of all times.
 
“You must have! You disappeared that when he was gone too!”
 
“He was gone for months,” Keiko reminded the class. “I was sick for a week. And that was a long time ago.”
 
“You came back the same day!”
 
“Coincidence,” Keiko lied.
 
“Good excuses for it being so long ago.”
 
“Good memory for it being so long ago,” Keiko retorted and the class went silent.
 
“That's enough class!” the teacher broke in. “I think we all know Keiko of all people would have reported something like this if she knew. Isn't that right, Keiko?” Keiko swallowed.
 
“Yeah,” she said with some difficulty. “That's right.”
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
Iwamoto watched the news report with a high degree of satisfaction while Takanaka watched on behind him, less thrilled than his colleague.
 
“I always knew there was something wrong with Urameshi. Kuwabara too. Ever since the day they walked into my classroom, I knew. And here's the proof!” Iwamoto cackled. Takanaka frowned.
 
I always knew you had something great in your, Yusuke. But is this really it? Or are we being deceived?
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
Mitari watched the report, eyes filled with surprise. Oh no. They've been found.
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
Amanuma watched alongside his friends in their classroom. While the rest of the class seemed really interested and even afraid, he watched on sadly. This can't be good. For anyone.
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
Minoru Kamiya watched on with his patients at the report. He shook his head sadly at the sight. One of his patients looked up at him.
 
“Doctor?” the elderly woman asked. He blinked. “What it is?”
 
“A shame,” he replied. “A shame for mankind is what it is.”
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
Yana, Kido, and Kaito watched on together, none of them having class when the report came on. They looked at each other, surprise and worry registering on their faces.
 
“They've turned against their protectors,” Kaito said darkly.
 
“Only trouble will come of this,” Kido added.
 
“Big trouble,” Yana finished.
 
“Oh yes.”
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
Kurama ran from the building, knowing that pursuers would soon be after him. Eyes from all over campus followed him as they registered who he was. Some yelled angrily while others stared in fear. Kurama paid them no mind as he ran. He needed to get back home and regroup. The team needed to meet and regroup after this major blow. Taking side-streets and hidden paths as he ran, Kurama pulled out the communication mirror from his pocket and flipped it open. It took a moment before Botan's face appeared.
 
“Kurama! What's wrong?” she asked when she saw his pale face and the sweat that was beginning to form on his brow. But most of all, she noticed the unbridled worry in those emerald depths.
 
“We've been uncovered,” Kurama replied and related the newscast to her.
 
“Where are you going now?” Botan asked with a frown.
 
“Home. To regroup. We all need to regroup, but I have a feeling this will have spread us all out,” the fox answered.
 
“I'll come right away,” Botan said determinedly.
 
“No!” Kurama said forcefully, sliding to a sudden halt. Botan blinked.
 
“What?”
 
“You would draw too much attention to yourself in the air,” Kurama replied.
 
“I don't always take human form when I come to Human World, you realize,” she retorted.
 
“But then none of us would be able to see you,” Kurama countered and Botan giggled sheepishly.
 
“Oh yeah, I forgot. Only ghosts can see me in that form.”
 
“Botan, please, stay put for now,” Kurama said, voice almost pleading. Botan blinked at this. Kurama never begged - or pleaded or whatever.
 
“I want to help,” she said argumentatively.
 
“I know,” Kurama told her. “But right now you'll be the most help where you are. Tell Koenma.” He looked at her a moment. “Please.” Botan could hear the concern for her in his voice and she finally understood why he wanted her to remain in Spirit World for now. He was worried for her safety because he loved her. Always thinking about everyone but himself. Botan finally nodded.
 
“Alright. But stay in contact.” Kurama smiled gratefully.
 
“Of course.”
 
“Be careful,” she told him seriously.
 
“I will,” he promised.
 
“I love you.”
 
“I love you too,” he told her before closing the mirror and beginning to run once more towards his apartment.
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
Botan sighed as Kurama's end of the mirror went blank. She closed her mirror and held it to her chest a moment. Memories of her dream from months earlier came back with a vengeance and she bit her lip worriedly.
 
“Oh, be careful. I don't want to lose you either.”
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
End Chapter 9