Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Forever Fornever Tantei ❯ In Which Events Take Place ( Chapter 25 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Yu Yu Hakusho. I am not making any money from writing this. I do, however, own my plotline.
 
-----
 
Chapter 25
 
In Which Events Take Shape
 
-----
 
Rinku knocked down a blue-coated human with his yo-yos before turning to study the carnage of the battle. There were demon and human—some Organization, some rebels—bodies littering the ground. Several yards from him, Jin was knocking down Organization members with gusts of wind. The red-head met eyes with the yo-yo master for a moment and shrugged. He didn't know where Yusuke and the others were yet, either. Rinku turned back to the battle just in time to engage another blue coated human. Their numbers seemed to be unending. And the further into their ranks they pushed, the more powerful the individuals became.
 
The young demon caught his attacker under the throat with a yo-yo, felling him. He frowned. The others needed to hurry. The numbers of demons being captured during this battle was increasingly steadily and the longer they waited, the greater the risk some of their group would be caught as well.
 
We got them, fall back to the hideout,” Genkai's voice suddenly crackled through the earpiece Rinku and the others had been presented with before the plan had started. Rinku looked over at Jin who took down another guard before lifting himself above the battle.
 
“Fall back,” he called out to the demon side, waving his arms. “Fall back!”
 
Rinku turned around with a smirk and started running in the opposite direction of the battle. “Fall back,” he called as he ran past demons and psychic humans alike.
 
He knew very well many of them would choose to stay and fight and that was their prerogative. The goal of this mission was to get Kurama, Touya, and Chuu back from the Organization. That was the best chance the entire Human World had against Ichigaki's evil group. These demons and psychics who had been persecuted since the beginning would not figure into the final equation whether they realized it or not. Some of them would heed the call and hope the time for another fight would come while others would be too caught up in the battle to care about the order. There were sacrifices to be made for this to work out. It was unfortunate, but sometimes choices like these had to be made. At least they would get their time to fight before the end.
 
Jin floated down next to Rinku as he ran. “How many do ye think will leave?”
 
“Not many,” Rinku admitted. “This is a fight they've been waiting for.”
 
“And that's what we counted on,” Suzuka said, falling into step with them from out of nowhere. “We got the opportunity to rescue the others.”
 
“Now let's just keep from getting ourselves captured,” Rinku said as they weaved through groups of demons and humans still battling. They had to be careful as they ran not to slip in the blood that was coating the street.
 
They turned a corner and Jin leaned around it to make sure they hadn't been followed. He shook his head and they continued running. There was too much commotion for anyone to notice a few demons leaving the scene, even if they were the most powerful. Their presence would be missed eventually, but by then they would be long gone.
 
Slinking into the shadows, the group slowed their pace as not to warrant notice from any onlookers. They stuck to back alleys as much as possible. The sun was setting when they reached the steps that led to the hideout. Filing down the stairs and checking again to make sure they hadn't been followed, Suzuka banged on the door three times. A few moments passed before the large door opened to reveal Mitari.
 
The blonde human was visibly relieved to see the three demons. He stepped aside to let them in. The sight that greeted them was Shishi sitting on one of the couches. He nodded at their arrival. “So you finally made it.”
 
“How long have you been here?” Suzuka asked as he made his way to his friend's side.
 
“About an hour,” the blue-haired demon replied nonchalantly.
 
“The others?” Rinku asked, sitting himself down across from the others. As he sat, he was suddenly overcome with fatigue. Fighting a battle was hard work and the adrenaline was starting to wear off. He could feel various aches starting up and pretty soon he knew he would be feeling some of the injuries he had sustained during the battle as would the rest of the group.
 
“Not back yet,” Maya said irritably. Rinku jumped, not having noticed the human girl's presence in the back of the room.
 
“Are they alright?”
 
“They've been in and out of radio contact. Our connection is shaky considering our location and how little time we had to set it up before doing this.”
 
“Did many others leave th' battle?” Jin asked wearily. Looking over at him, Rinku noticed several gashes on his face and arms for the first time. The others had similar injuries and weariness emanating from them.
 
“About as many as we expected,” Mitari replied, coming back into the room with a first aid kit in hand. “We've had a few come here and the other bases have reported a small number returning to each of them as well.”
 
“Do we know casualties?” Suzuka queried.
 
Maya shook her head. “There's no way to know exactly. Some will have been captured, others killed, while others will probably flee and hide on their own.” She shrugged helplessly. “As bad as it sounds, it honestly doesn't matter that much either.
 
“As long as the others return, there is still hope for the worlds.”
 
Rinku blinked when Mitari knelt down next to him. “I'll clean up your wounds,” the blonde said and the young demon nodded absently. He barely felt the sting of Mitari's cleansing as he thought about the others. Were they ok? What kind of shape would they be in when they got back? And what would Ichigaki do in retribution for losing his precious advantage?
 
Another hour passed before there was a resounding knock on the door. Everyone in the room immediately jerked upright as Mitari made his way to the door. Maya followed him. Together they opened the door a crack and with a huge sigh of relief, opened it wide. In filed the missed members of their group.
 
Hiei led the precession into the room with Kuwabara, supporting a weary Touya, following. Next came a wobbly Chuu, who had Botan following him carefully in case he fell. After the ferry girl came Yusuke, supporting a pitiful looking Kurama and Genkai behind them. The gathered demons jumped to their feet to help the released prisoners. Kurama took priority, being in the worst shape of the three. Yusuke and Maya helped sit him down on one of the empty couches. Mitari had gone to refill the first aid kit.
 
Maya knelt down next to Kurama grasped one of the fox's hands. She had tears in her eyes. “I'm so glad you're alright,” she whispered. “I- we were so worried.” She caught herself a little too late though Botan didn't appear either to have noticed the slip or to be angry about it if she had.
 
“I'm alright,” Kurama said with a wan smile. His voice was weaker than Rinku was used to hearing from him. The pallor of his skin as well as all the bruises and gashes with dried blood that accentuated it didn't make the fox appear any better. But the strength of the look in his eyes was enough for everyone in the room; he was going to be ok.
 
Chuu slowly sat down next to Rinku and the young demon turned to his former team captain. “Chuu…”
 
“'ey there, lil buddy,” the brawler said tiredly. He had some ugly bruises and cuts on his person but otherwise just appeared weary. That was a good sign.
 
“What do you need?” Rinku asked immediately.
 
Chuu waved him off impatiently. “I'm fine, jus' a bit tired. Touya and Kurama need it more.” Rinku looked over at Kurama but he had all the Tantei as well as Botan, Maya, and Mitari looking after him. He shrugged to himself and made his way over to Touya, who had Jin and the others watching over him carefully. The ice master was naturally pale but he seemed even paler than normal and he had more marks than Chuu did. He was definitely in worse shape than the drunken fighter.
 
“What can I do?” Rinku asked as he approached.
 
Touya shook his head slowly. “I'm fine, just need some rest.”
 
“You loo' like ya could use some medical attenshin,” Jin countered, arms crossed across his chest adamantly.
 
“They're just minor wounds,” the ice master countered. “Let them treat Kurama first.”
 
“How was he?” Suzuka asked softly.
 
Touya shook his head, indicating he didn't want to discuss it in present company. The others nodded. They'd wait until the fox had been ministered to before hearing the story.
 
------
 
It took well over an hour before the others were satisfied that Kurama had been treated the best he could be under the circumstances. The fox had grown impatient with his pushy would-be doctors but they wouldn't hear any protests from him. Finally he had been forced to take it all in stride and just be thankful he had all these friends to care about him. In truth, with his minor wounds healed and the more major ones dressed, he did feel stronger. And Botan had presented him with a set of his spare seeds so the effects of the withdrawal were fading as he came into contact with greater degrees of his element.
 
“So, now what?” Kuwabara asked at last, collapsing into a chair on the other side of Kurama's couch. Botan, who sat at the fox's side, glared at the orange-haired teen.
 
“Kurama, Touya, and Chuu have to rest.”
 
Kuwabara blinked. “Well yeah, I got that. But for how long?”
 
“Ah only need a few days meself,” Chuu said thoughtfully.
 
“Two or three days should suffice,” Touya echoed.
 
Kurama pursed his lips thoughtfully. His energy was drained and he had nearly died from withdrawal. He also had some nasty wounds that would need time to heal. At the same time, time was not a luxury they had at this point. They still weren't sure what kind of reaction Ichigaki would have to their escape nor did they know the casualties on either side of the diversion battle. They needed the entire group to be back in the game quickly. “A week,” he said finally.
 
“That's it?” Yusuke asked in surprise. “For as long as you were held?”
 
Kurama shrugged. “I heal quickly.”
 
Botan frowned. “You won't be one hundred percent in a week.”
 
“No,” the fox agreed exhaustedly, “but it'll be enough. We don't have the time to waste. I'll manage.”
 
“He's right,” Maya said. She was leaning against the back wall. “If he says it'll be enough time, then we have to trust his word. He knows his own capacities better than any of us. And we don't know what kind of action we're going to have to take or when after this; better not to wait too long or we risk being found again.”
 
“So what do we do now?” Rinku asked, looking around at the present company.
 
“We wait,” Genkai said. “The whole point of today's operation was getting those three back so they can heal and get back in the fight. Part one is finished. Part two is waiting.”
 
“But we'll have to amp up security while they rest. If they found us once, there's no telling if or when they could find us again,” Mitari added from the other side of the room. “Not to mention, we need to keep an eye on the news.”
 
“Ichigaki won't take this lying down,” Botan agreed. “Something's bound to happen.”
 
“There will be a period of regrouping for both sides,” Hiei said. “That's how wars go. The only question is when the next battle begins.”
 
“So,” Yusuke said with an uncomfortable shrug, “we wait.”
 
------
 
Maya and Botan helped Kurama along the hallways of the hideout to a place where he could rest. The fox was grateful since he felt dead on his feet. With the adrenaline of the day wearing off, the pain was returning despite the earlier healing and his body was demanding sleep so it could begin repairing itself. He was only too happy to oblige.
 
When they had reached the room—though it was in truth more of a closet—that was to be the fox's, Maya went in first and placed a candle on the floor next to a cot someone had previously left. Kurama blinked at the candle and Maya shrugged.
 
“We don't want to use too much electricity as not to bring attention to ourselves.” She paused, as if deciding whether or not to add on the final piece of information. “Plus the light in here is burned out.”
 
Kurama smiled wearily but also understandingly. “It's fine. I don't plan to need much light while I'm sleeping anyway.” Maya smiled wanly in return.
 
Botan steadied Kurama as he sat down on the cot. The ferry girl sat down next to him while Maya hovered uncomfortably. As Kurama pushed himself into a more comfortable position, the human girl spoke up.
 
“I'm glad you're ok, Suuichi.” She didn't appear to realize she had used his human name but Kurama picked up on it right away. He supposed it made sense since he had gotten to know her originally in his human guise and he still remained in that form. But at the same time, it almost seemed uncomfortable for Maya to use his demon name, as if she wasn't quite willing to truly believe who he was. “We've all been worried.”
 
“I'm ok thanks to all your efforts,” the fox replied earnestly. “Thank you.”
 
Maya nodded and turned to leave. She paused in the doorway as if she wanted to say something else but seemed to decide better of it and left without a word. Botan watched after her for several silent moments before turning back to the red-head.
 
The fox could only imagine what was going through the ferry girl's head. So much had happened since their last meeting. They hadn't exactly parted on good terms when Kurama had been captured…
 
“Botan,” Kurama began but the blue-haired girl shook her head.
 
“No, let me go first.” She paused as if to gather her thoughts, her normally bubby personality taking the back seat. “I saw the kiss. And it broke my heart.” Kurama opened his mouth to object—he needed her to understand more than anything else—but Botan waved him off. “And while I was mad at you, I hated her. I hated her for being in your past and having that connection to you that I could never have.”
 
Kurama was dumbfounded by the logic. “Botan, that was years ago.”
 
“I know. But still, I didn't get to know you until Yusuke was sent to capture you.” The ferry girl smiled sadly. “I guess the realization that there were others in your past really shook me.”
 
“That's all history,” the fox replied earnestly. He needed her to understand that she was the only one he loved. “You're the only one that matters to me.”
 
Botan nodded. “I know that now. But for a period of time, I was… uncertain.” She paused thoughtfully. “But it took being forced to work with Maya to get you back that made me understand that. She's a good person and I respect how hard she has worked. I think seeing all that she was doing to coordinate our efforts made me see her good qualities. I realized I couldn't hate her just for being in your past. It was silly.”
 
Kurama took Botan's hand in his own and squeezed it, hoping to convey the strength of his feelings to the ferry girl. “I love you,” he said. “I've lived a long life but what is in my past remains there. You, Botan, are the only one I've ever truly loved with all of me.”
 
Botan's serious face split into a grin and a weight felt as if it had been lifted from his chest. Seeing her smile like that made the fox's heart sing. Botan wrapped her arms around the red-head, but gently as not to irritate his remaining injuries. “I've missed you so much.”
 
“I've missed you, too,” Kurama replied. He closed his eyes and rested his chin on her head. “Thank you,” he whispered. “Thank you.”
 
------
 
Three days passed before anything appeared on the news. Kurama was sitting in the main room with Touya and the other former Tantei when the television screen - which was left on all the time in case something happened - flared to life. Yusuke immediately grabbed the remote and turned up the volume while Kuwabara called for everyone else to come. The news anchor began speaking as all the occupants of the shelter filed into the room.
 
“Three days ago the outer limits of Tokyo were awash with blood as a surprise demon attack on the headquarters of the Organization led to hefty causalities on both sides. Initially asked by the Organization to refrain from reporting this event, we now take you to a live announcement by the head of the group.”
 
“Here it is,” Yusuke muttered under his breath. He ground his teeth when Ichigaki appeared on the screen. “You'd think people would know not to trust such an ugly mug.”
 
“Look at how many people trust you, Urameshi,” Kuwabara retorted playfully, earning tense chuckles for many of the gathered individuals.
 
“Three days ago,” Ichigaki began speaking and the room quieted down, “a large group of demons and human sympathizers who had so far managed to avoid the reach of our group launched an attack on us. We fought bravely to keep them at bay and succeeded in capturing a large number of them and killing more before the remaining few retreated.”
 
“What's this we business?” Shishi muttered. “He didn't do a damn thing.”
 
“The numbers of the remaining demon population are dwindling and they are growing desperate. There was a high casualty rate on our side as well during this battle but due to the efforts of those brave men and women, many dangerous beasts and sympathizers are off the streets. We must stay the course in order for this world to belong to the humans again.”
 
Yusuke rolled his eyes. “Says the troll.”
 
“And make no mistake, this world will belong to the humans once again. That is why I have a message for the Tantei and their friends.”
 
The room tensed.
 
“You do not have righteousness on your side as we do. You do not belong in this world. That is why you will not win.” The demon doctor's evil face contorted into a twisted smirk that caused several people in the room to wince. “But I am a generous man and offer you one final chance; hand yourselves over and you might even live.”
 
“How generous,” Rinku said, rolling his eyes. “Can we take it? Please?”
 
“But if you insist on opposing me, I have a proposition. Ten days from now, you will be given free passage into the headquarters. There, you will be given the opportunity to fight for your lives. And the entire nation of Japan will see the strongest of the villains fall as it will be televised.” He smirked. “Think about it carefully. Until then, keep strong Japan. We will prevail.”
 
Kurama picked up the remote and turned the television off, unsure of what to say. He looked around the room and all his companions seemed to be at a loss for words as well. Yusuke finally broke the silence.
 
“A televised fight, huh? We've done that before.”
 
“This isn't the Dark Tournament, moron,” Hiei snapped.
 
“What is he up to?” Botan asked with a frown. “Why offer us this chance?”
 
“He has the clear advantage,” Kurama replied. “With all the testing he's done and all the new subjects the battle brought him, his power is sure to have increased. He knows what to expect from us but we have no idea what to anticipate from him.” The fox pursed his lips. “We've known all along that guerilla tactics wouldn't win this. Sooner or later, we will have to fight.”
 
“But with the entire country knowing about us and thinking we're evil, we can't fight in secrecy like we're used to,” Kuwabara added.
 
“And with Demon World blocked off from us, we can't expect any help from our allies there,” Yusuke supplemented.
 
“So what do we do?” Suzuka demanded.
 
Touya leaned forward irritably. “I can't believe Ichigaki would just let us waltz into his headquarters and give us a fair fight.”
 
“Of course he won't,” Maya replied. “There is really no way going with this could go our way.”
 
“But if we don' accept, wha else can we do?” Chuu asked, crossing his arms. “We don' have many options, do we mates?”
 
Kurama leaned back in his seat thoughtfully. Now that the drugs had made their way through his system, he was able to think clearly. It was a feeling he savored. He would never take the ability to think clearly for granted again. “If we do take advantage of this, we would have to separate Ichigaki from his men. Without an army behind him, he is a much smaller target.”
 
“But he'll be expecting that,” Hiei countered. “He'll undoubtedly have thought about this.”
 
“I know,” the fox replied. “But I'm not suggesting we play by his rules either.”
 
“What are you suggesting?” Genkai asked, speaking up for the first time since the newscast.
 
Kurama grinned mischievously. “That we take him by surprise. If we play this right, we can take this into our own hands and finish it.”
 
------