Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Forever Fornever Tantei ❯ In Which the Tantei Are Sneaky ( Chapter 26 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Yu Yu Hakusho. I am not making any money from writing this. I do, however, own my plotline.
 
-----
 
Chapter 26
 
In Which the Tantei Are Sneaky
 
-----
 
“I know,” the fox replied. “But I'm not suggesting we play by his rules either.”
 
“What are you suggesting?” Genkai asked, speaking up for the first time since the newscast.
 
Kurama grinned mischievously. “That we take him by surprise. If we play this right, we can take this into our own hands and finish it.”
 
“And how would we play it?” Touya asked curiously.
 
“We go in early,” Kurama responded simply.
 
Hiei frowned. “Don't you think he'll be expecting that?”
 
“We don't go head-first in early,” the red-head explained, already anticipating the question. “We use guerrilla tactics to take out his advantage right until his invitation.”
 
Hiei looked intrigued but Yusuke frowned, not sure of where the idea was going. “What do you mean?”
 
Kurama leaned forward. Plans were spinning around his now-clear mind and he reveled in his ability to think clearly for a few moments before speaking again. “Ichigaki gave us ten days. Starting five days from now, one or two of us will sneak in and cause some havoc and leave. If we play it right, but the time the tenth day rolls around, Ichigaki's forces will be weakened to the point his advantage will be lost.”
 
“That's really risky,” Kuwabara objected immediately. “What if one of us gets caught again? Everything we've done would be for nothing.”
 
“Now that we have the blueprints to the base, it shouldn't be a problem,” Kurama answered.
 
“The most important areas have been marked on the plans,” Maya said thoughtfully.
 
Kurama nodded. “Ichigaki will be expecting us to make a head-long assault early and will prepare for it. He won't think we'd try to sneak back into a place we just escaped from.”
 
“But after the first time we break in, he'll make preparations for another round,” Genkai countered.
 
“Which is why we're going to leave cameras in the building,” the fox said, the full range of this plan finally unfolding. “We'll know where they plan to fortify their defenses and sneak in at a weak point.”
 
Mitari frowned. “We don't have any cameras, though.”
 
Maya shook her head. “No, we can get what we need in five days with our connections. That won't be a problem.”
 
“With any luck,” Kurama continued with a nod for the human girl, “we'll be able to find out more about what Ichigaki has been doing with all the demon's he's captured so we'll have a better idea of what to expect once we go.” And without any luck, Ichigaki would still be at a distinct disadvantage by the tenth day.
 
“Are we really going to take his invitation for a televised fight, though?” Yusuke asked with a frown. It was an interesting prospect, that was for sure.
 
Kurama nodded. “That could actually work to our advantage.”
 
Kuwabara blinked. “How?”
 
“Because if we can show the world how twisted Ichigaki actually is, then he'll lose support,” Maya guessed. “And by taking him down, you guys are no longer the villains.”
 
“Exactly.”
 
The group fell silent for a few moments. Shishi finally broke the silence. “What if we lose?” he asked quietly. It was the question they were all thinking but no one wanted to voice.
 
“I don't deal in what-ifs,” Yusuke replied coldly. The other Tantei nodded with grim determination. “Ichigaki has made our lives hell. Let's return the favor.”
 
-----
 
Botan walked into the main room to see Kurama sitting alone. She frowned curiously, finding it odd the fox would be alone. The others had rarely left his side since he had returned five days prior, as if they were afraid he would disappear again. He looked up and smiled at her entrance. His smile still caused her to go weak at the knees, but she fought the instinct and returned the look before walking over to join him. The ferry girl studied the red-head as she made her way over to him. The five days of rest had done wonders for him; color had returned to his face as the majority of the bruises were gone. Though there were still a few small cuts and bruises visible on his face, he looked much stronger, much more like the Kurama she knew and had fallen in love with. She sat down next to him and Kurama put an arm easily around her shoulders.
 
“How are you feeling?” she asked.
 
“Much better,” he said with a sincere smile. “The pain is all but gone.”
 
“I'm glad.”
 
“How are you doing?” he asked suddenly, throwing the deity off.
 
“What?”
 
The fox chuckled at her surprise. “You didn't look too good yourself when you rescued me.”
 
Botan flushed. “I was worried about you!” she protested before relenting. “But I'm much better now that you're alright.” She felt Kurama's chin rest gently on the top of her head and sighed contentedly. Even if it was just for a few moments, the time they had together was precious.
 
“I'm glad,” he whispered, echoing her own sentiments.
 
They sat in comfortable silence for a few moments before Botan spoke. “Where are Yusuke and the others? It's much too quiet.”
 
Kurama laughed. “Yes, it is a little eerie, isn't it?” Botan nodded silently. With the Dark Tournament fighters and the Reikai Tantei all in one place, it should never be quiet, even if the group was in hiding. “Yusuke and Kuwabara are somewhere with Mitari. Hiei vanished with Genkai a few hours ago and I haven't seen them since. As for everyone else, I have no idea.”
 
“Maya is in the kitchen,” Botan supplied after a moment. “Rinku was helping her make something for dinner.”
 
Kurama grimaced. “I feel sorry for her.” The few times Genkai had allowed the young demon into her kitchen had turned into catastrophes, thus earning him a ban from the temple kitchen. He had to have someone else even get him a glass of water when he was thirsty or Genkai would beat him senseless while his friends merely laughed. Yukina was usually the kind soul that took pity on the boy.
 
“It was definitely a sight,” the ferry girl agreed with a laugh. “She seemed to be enjoying the company, though.” Botan was able to tolerate the human girl much more easily now that her fox was back. Though there was still a level of distrust, Botan had mostly gotten over the kiss and her history with Kurama since his return.
 
“As long as they don't burn the building down and notify the Organization of our presence,” Kurama said wryly.
 
“I don't think Hiei would go that far, Kurama,” Yusuke said as he walked into the room with Kuwabara and Mitari trailing him. The red-head hid a smile behind his hand as the humans took seats opposite them.
 
“It might be worth it to keep you idiots from speaking,” the fire demon retorted, entering from another doorway. Botan started, not noticing his arrival. Genkai followed the fire demon into the room.
 
“So much for the quiet,” Botan muttered and Kurama laughed softly into her hair. Hearing the fox able to laugh so soon after such a harrowing experience was refreshing to Botan and she relished in hearing his warm voice sounding strong once more. Though she knew the peace would be short-lived, the few days she could spend with the recovering fox were priceless after his prolonged absence.
 
Touya and Jin wandered into the room a few minutes later, looking surprised at the gathered crowd. “Did we miss something?” Touya asked, raising an eyebrow.
 
“Rinku's in the kitchen,” Kurama said with an air of someone cradling some dangerous news. Touya and Jin grimaced much like the fox had at those words. Genkai looked sick. “We're taking cover in here.”
 
“I hope someone is supervising,” Touya said, taking a seat on Kurama's other side.
 
“Maya's in there with him,” Botan answered.
 
“Tha' might no' be enough,” Jin muttered darkly. The wind master was hovering in the air across from where they were sitting.
 
“What might not?” Rinku asked as he and Maya entered the room. They were both miraculously in one piece. A sigh of relief echoed through the room and the two newcomers looked around curiously.
 
“You all look like you just survived an attack,” Suzuka said as he and Shishi walked in the doorway Hiei and Genkai had previously occupied.
 
“Rinku was in the kitchen,” Genkai supplied. Suzuka and Shishi lost a shade of color while Rinku flushed.
 
“We are alive, aren't we?” Shishi asked, looking at himself as if expecting to be transparent.
 
“Who let him in there, anyway?” Suzuka asked as he sat down.
 
“Was I not supposed to?” Maya asked in a tiny voice.
 
“Only if you want to burn the building to the ground,” Touya replied with a smirk.
 
Rinku pouted. “I'm not that bad, you guys.”
 
“Oy!” Chuu called from somewhere down the hall. “Wha' happened to th' kitchen? I' looks like a war broke out!”
 
The entire room burst out laughing as Rinku tried to shrink to a smaller size to avoid the embarrassment. Botan smiled to herself as she laughed. They would begin their guerilla operations in two days, but it was nice to have some time where everyone could be themselves before such an important fight, even if that time was short.
 
Botan felt suddenly determined. This was what they were fighting for: the freedom to laugh and smile. In order for them to be able to enjoy life as they once had, the troll doctor would have to be taken down. Not only for them, but for everyone; even humans were suffering while Ichigaki reigned with his campaign of fear. It wasn't right.
 
“Are you alright?” Botan blinked and looked up at Kurama who was looking at her curiously. “You have the strangest look on your face.”
 
The ferry girl flushed. “I'm fine. I was just thinking…” She paused when she noticed everyone in the room looking at her—apparently Chuu had entered the room while she had been lost in thought, too. “I was thinking that since this all started, we haven't had much reason to laugh like this.” The room seemed to deflate slightly at this as everyone thought about what was to come. Botan's eyes widened. “Oh, I didn't mean to bring the mood down!”
 
“You're right, though, Botan,” Yusuke said quietly. “And that's why we're going to stop him.” The ferry girl nodded, hearing the cold determination in the ex-spirit detective's voice. She knew that when he took that tone, he meant business. The others in the room looked just as determined as Yusuke sounded.
 
“I know.”
 
-----
 
Kurama watched silently as Touya and Jin put their earpieces in place and checked their packs one last time. The group had decided that the two former Spirit World Shinobi would be the best choice for the first guerrilla mission. After all, they had made a career of moving stealthily among the shadows for years before entering the Dark Tournament. They were well-trained for this exact sort of mission.
 
The main room of the hideout had been transformed in the last day into something of a makeshift command central. There were several monitors that would transmit the data from the cameras that the two former Shinobi carried. The layout of the building sat out on the table, various areas marked for reference. Touya and Jin had already memorized the map so they didn't have to carry it during the mission.
 
Maya had been true to her word in bringing in the equipment they had required for the plan. None of the cameras or other electronics was especially high-tech, but they would perform their functions just fine and that was all that mattered. Kurama marveled at the fact that she had been able to get as many cameras as she had in such a short time, but didn't dwell on it. The human girl was resourceful and knew the ins and outs of the rebellion's connections well as one of the leaders.
 
Finally satisfied that they were ready, Jin and Touya turned to the rest of the group; everyone had gathered to see their friends off. Their faces were hard and the atmosphere in the room tense; it was game time. Genkai appraised them both before nodding.
 
“Remember the goal of the mission,” the psychic said. “Plant the cameras in the selected locations and make sure they are up and running.”
 
“An' then cause some havoc,” Jin said with a wolfish grin. His elfish ears were perked.
 
Genkai nodded. “Exactly. Just make sure not to get caught.”
 
“And be on the look-out for anything we can use,” Kurama added, crossing his arms across his chest. Any information, even the smallest detail, could be important down the line. But of course former Shinobi knew that well.
 
Touya nodded. “We'll be in touch,” the ice master said, touching his earpiece.
 
“Good luck,” Maya said as the two demons turned to leave.
 
Jin flashed a grin that accentuated his canines and they opened the door. Dim rays of sunlight from the rising sun reflected off the steel door. They had decided to raid the building at sunrise since that was the time most groups were the most vulnerable. Shift-changes usually occurred at this time, with the old group being tired from their watch and the new group still waking up. And with uneventful nights, sunrise watches were generally complacent about anything happening so paid the least attention. The two former Shinobi slipped silently out the door and closed it once more.
 
“They'll be alright, won't they?” Botan asked, stifling a yawn.
 
“You should know better than anyone that this type of mission is their specialty,” Kurama said, raising a curious eyebrow at the ferry girl. Koenma had contracted the Spirit World's Shinobi countless times while he was between Spirit Detectives. They were the best at what they did, after all.
 
“Working in the shadows is exactly what the Shinobi train for. And Jin and Touya were two of the best.” Most demons in Human World—and many in Demon World as well—knew of the Shinobi and their reputation. The current generation of Shinobi had been especially renowned for their talents long before ever entering the Dark Tournament.
 
The deity shrugged uncomfortably. “I know all that. I'm just worried.”
 
Yusuke turned to her. “We just have to trust they know what they're doing,” he said gently. She knew he was worried about his friends as well. Yusuke had lost three of his teammates at various points during this ordeal and he took every loss personally. He was always concerned for his friends and was always wondering if there was anything else he could be doing. But at this point, all they could do was wait for Touya and Jin to make contact.
 
Kurama wandered over to the table where Maya had already seated herself. She was studying the blueprints Yusuke, Hiei, and Kuwabara had swiped from Ichigaki's lab. Eight different spots had been strategically marked with large dots on the plan; those were the spots that the cameras were to be placed.
 
“If only we could have gotten a few more cameras,” Maya muttered to herself as she studied the map.
 
“Getting eight in as short a time as you did was a feat in itself,” Kurama told her with a small smile. The fox was a master of using his resources and contacts in his time and was still surprised with the number she had been able to procure considering their situation.
 
The human girl shrugged listlessly. “I just hope it will be enough.”
 
“We'll make do,” Hiei said curtly. Maya started, not noticing the fire demon coming up behind her, though Kurama merely looked over his friend who shrugged silently.
 
The next hour was spent in a tense silence as the various humans and demons milled in the main room waiting for any news from their friends. Finally the speakers flared to life as Touya made contact.
 
“We're in,” the ice master whispered. An audible sigh of relief went through the room at this. “The security was weak around the perimeter so there were no complications.”
 
“Good,” Genkai said, walking up to the desk with the microphone. “The cameras?”
 
“Jin's setting the first one up now.”
 
A moment later the first monitor on the desk sprang to life as the camera was turned on. The camera was covering the entrance hall to the Organization's headquarters from inside an air vent. The hallway was oddly business-like considering what they were doing. There was even a reception desk with a woman sitting behind it, though she looked like she was about to fall asleep. She likely didn't get much traffic at this time of day.
 
“Make sure the power light is hidden,” Kurama said, moving up next to Genkai.
 
“Aye, aye,” Jin grumbled through his own piece, voice low as not to attract any unwanted attention though it was still early. “We're no' rookies, here.”
 
“Of course,” Kurama replied with a slight smile.
 
The two demons worked efficiently over the next hour, moving through the Organization's compound silently, planting cameras at the designated spots. When there were two left to plant, Jin and Touya had an idea.
 
“The only ones we have left are Ichigaki's office and his control room,” Touya said thoughtfully through his communication device. “If we split up, we'll be able to cause more damage in those two locations before leaving.”
 
Maya pursed her lips. “Is it really a good idea to separate?”
 
“We spli' up plenty o' missions as Shinobi,” Jin replied easily, though his voice was hushed. “We know how ta get out. We can rendezvous back a' the base.”
 
“What if you run into trouble?” Genkai asked with a frown.
 
“We can be in contact,” Touya whispered. “This is our best chance to get into these two places, after all.”
 
Kurama crossed his arms across his chest. “They have a point. Who knows what they could find there.”
 
“And what if Ichigaki is in one of those places?” Maya asked with a frown, turning to look at Genkai and Kurama.
 
“Then we won't go in,” the ice master replied. “We can find other places to cause trouble.”
 
“Exactly,” Jin added.
 
“Then do it,” Genkai agreed. Maya looked like she wanted to argue but the psychic cut her off. “Think of what they might find in one of those places.” Maya closed her mouth. “And if there is trouble, they'll get the hell out. They know what they're doing.” The human girl nodded mutely and turned back to the monitors. Little was going on across the screens that had already been set up since it was still early.
 
“Alright, we're separating,” Touya said. “I'll take Ichigaki's office.”
 
“I've go' the control room,” Jin added. He sounded almost giddy at the prospect of wreaking havoc once he got his camera set up.
 
“Understood,” Genkai acknowledged.
 
Everyone waited in silence as the two Shinobi made their separate ways through the building. Jin was the first one to reach his destination. He clicked on the camera and adjusted it to look through a ceiling vent into the control room. With that view, they would be able to watch what Ichigaki was looking at.
 
“All set up and no one here,” the wind master muttered.
 
“I'm almost there,” Touya replied.
 
Kurama studied the room that Jin had just pointed the camera at curiously. There were large monitors that switched between various rooms in the building and cells that housed demons. There was also a large control panel below the screens. The fox blinked.
 
“Jin,” he said slowly, “are you looking at this?”
 
“The control panel?” he asked. “Yeah, Ah've looked at it.”
 
“Could you…?” Kurama trailed off.
 
Jin paused thoughtfully. “I think so.”
 
Botan walked up next to Kurama and looked at the monitor as well. She frowned, not sure what the red-head was looking at. She looked back up at him. “I don't get it.”
 
“If those monitors are watching the cells the captured humans and demons are being kept in,” Genkai answered instead, “then it's likely that control panel would be able to release them.”
 
The ferry girl blinked. “Really?”
 
“Ichigaki wouldn't want to dirty his hands if any of the lower class demons got rowdy,” Hiei said flatly from his perch on the sofa across the room. He could likely see the monitor just as clearly as if he were standing next to them all. “So he would want to be able to keep control from a distance.”
 
“It will probably be password protected,” Kurama added.
 
“That's no' mah specialty,” Jin said, “but I think ah can handle it.”
 
At that moment, Touya's camera clicked on and Ichigaki's office appeared on the final monitor. The doctor himself was seated behind his desk, looking over some papers. Risho sat on a couch against the wall, looking bored.
 
Time to give them some excitement then, Kurama thought with a slight smirk. Looking over at Yusuke, the fox had the distinct impression he had the same idea in mind.
 
With two demons in the room, Touya wouldn't be able to speak to them, less he risk the office's occupants' enhanced hearing detecting his presence. Recognizing this, Genkai spoke instead.
 
“Both Ichigaki and Risho are in his office so Touya is stuck at the moment.”
 
Kurama frowned. “Jin, if you can release the locks on the cells where the prisoners are being kept, that will get Ichigaki and Risho out of his office.”
 
“Which would leave Touya room to search the office,” Genkai concluded, looking pleased with the idea.
 
“Works fer me,” the wind master said.
 
Kurama grabbed the blueprints of the base and studied them carefully. “The control room and Ichigaki's office are on different floors. That gives you about a minute after the demons are set loose to get out.”
 
“But don't forget to bust up the computers,” Yusuke added with some vehemence. The demons in the room grinned. The humans nodded mutely.
 
“Touya, you'll have a max of three minutes to search through Ichigaki's office,” Kurama continued. “They'll likely realize what's happened once they reach the control room and head back. We'll let you know when they leave the control room so you can make your escape.” The ice master couldn't speak so they could only assume he was listening to their plan.
 
“When you get out, head back to the base on your own. It will be easier to make it back unseen if you're alone,” Genkai added.
 
“Got it,” Jin said.
 
Kurama and Genkai shared a look and the psychic nodded. “All yours, Jin,” the fox delegated.
 
They heard the wind master take in a deep breath. “Alright. Here I go.”
 
The grate on ceiling came off in front of the camera as Jin slipped out of the vent and into the room. He hovered over the floor a few inches in case there was a security system in place. He headed for the main control panel and studied it for a few moments before punching in a few keys. A prompt for a password appeared on the screen and Jin looked at it thoughtfully for a few moments before his fingers swept across the keyboard at a blinding speed. The computer seemed to accept whatever the wind master had input and various views of different demon and human prisoners appeared on the monitors.
 
Kurama blinked. As a master lock-pick, he had to recognize the talent of another in his field. And he said this wasn't his specialty, the fox thought wryly. The Shinobi were indeed full of surprises.
 
Fingers hovering over the keyboard, Jin hesitated. He looked over the panel a few more times just to make sure he was pressing the right keys. He input a few more keys gingerly before pausing once more. “Ge' ready, Touya,” he said, giving his partner warning, and pressed a button.
 
The reaction was instantaneous. Every door on the monitor opened and a loud alarm sounded. The prisoners on the monitors looked stunned and even suspicious and Jin ground his teeth. “Go!” he yelled at a microphone—likely used by Ichigaki to taunt his prisoners—and the prisoners that were in a state to move immediately ran in various directions. Jin grinned to himself.
 
Ichigaki and Risho looked up in shock as the alarm sounded. The two demons looked at each other. “That's not a break-in,” Risho said.
 
“It's a break-out,” Ichigaki said in alarm. “To the control room!” he almost squealed as he ran for the exit, Risho close behind him.
 
“They're on the way, Jin,” Genkai called. “You've got a minute. Touya, go.”
 
“I'm on it,” the ice master said as he opened the grate to his own vent and slipped out. He first locked the door and then ran over to the desk and began leafing through the papers Ichigaki had been studying.
 
Meanwhile, Jin had taken it upon himself to cause as much damage to the control room as possible. He had summoned up a small tornado and it was throwing the machinery across the room, sending sparks into the air.
 
“Thirty seconds,” Genkai hissed.
 
Jin nodded his understanding and jumped back to the grate and closed it carefully behind him. Just as the metal plate clicked back into space, Ichigaki and Risho reached the doorway. Their faces were contorted in shock and anger.
 
“What the hell?” Risho growled.
 
Ichigaki stepped into the room and looked around at the machines that were strewn haphazardly across the room. He stared, unable to speak for several moments, before snapping back to reality. “We've been had,” he growled. “The Tantei were here.” Then his eyes widened, contorting his already ugly face further.
 
“My office!”
 
“What?” Risho asked in confusion.
 
“They broke into my lab and demolished it after getting information,” the troll doctor growled, turning back to the door. “We expected them to come early but we thought they'd come headlong to take us on. I never expected them to actually sneak back in here. Dammit!” He turned to the earth master. “They could be looking for information back in my office!”
 
With that, he turned and ran from the room. Risho spared an angry look for the control room. “Dammit Jin,” he growled, obviously recognizing his former ally's handiwork, before following his current ally.
 
“They're on their way, Touya,” Genkai called. “Get out.”
 
“I'm gone,” the ice master said as he pulled a few more papers from the pile on the desk and shoved them into his pack before heading back for his exit.
 
He was slipping back into the vent as the two demons reached the locked door and pounded on it. Touya eased the grate back on smoothly as the door hit the floor. Risho stood in front of Ichigaki, having used his earth power to break the door down.
 
“Dammit, I left the door open,” Ichigaki hissed. “They have been here.” He ran over to his desk and his already bulging eyes nearly popped out of his head as he saw the scattered papers. He looked over at the window that Touya must have opened while they had been watching Jin, deciding that whoever was in his office must have left through it.
 
Very nice, Touya.
 
The demon doctor spun on Risho, who was watching him carefully. “There were at least two of them,” growled. “They can't have gotten too far by now.” He slammed his fist on the desk and the furniture shook under the pressure. “I want whoever it was caught!”
 
“They're onto us,” Genkai told the two fleeing demons. “Get out as quickly as possible.”
 
“Ah'm already out,” Jin replied easily. “There wa' so much chaos in th' front tha' no one saw me leave.”
 
“Keep it that way,” Maya said, taking the words from Genkai's mouth. Her tone was very similar to the aged psychic as well; it was slightly disconcerting, Kurama thought momentarily.
 
“I'm close,” Touya added. “The alarm seems to have been a good distraction for escaping.”
 
“They're looking for you now,” Genkai warned, “so be careful.”
 
“Aye aye,” the ice master replied easily.
 
A few tense minutes passed as Touya silently moved through the building. They could hear the chaos they had created vaguely through Touya's ear piece but nothing seemed near him. Finally he spoke. “I'm out. I'll meet you back at the base.”
 
“Alrigh' then,” Jin agreed.
 
-----
 
When Touya entered the base half an hour later, the gathered group let out a relieved breath. Jin was hovering easily next to Maya at the monitors, watching to see what the Organization was doing. The ice master had a grin on his face as he fell onto the couch next to Kuwabara. He pulled his pack off and tossed it onto the table.
 
“The papers I collected seemed to be about whatever Ichigaki has been experimenting with,” he said without preamble. “Should be useful.”
 
Jin turned to look at his partner. They shared a grin before Jin spoke. “So, how many ended up escaping?”
 
Kurama shrugged. “There's no way to know. We don't know how many he was holding and it's likely not all of them were capable of escaping.”
 
“Some were probably recaptured as well,” Hiei added. He was sitting against the wall near one of the doorways, feigning apathy toward the whole situation, though the whole room knew better than to take his attitude at face value at this point.
 
“And the ones that escaped were still collared,” Suzuka continued.
 
“But they're out of Ichigaki's hands at least,” Rinku said with a shrug. He was idly playing with his yo-yos as he did whenever he was bored, nervous, or both.
 
“Undoubtedly the world would be better served if some of those demons were being held,” Genkai muttered, “but at least his numbers have diminished.”
 
“And we sent the troll doctor an important message,” Kuwabara added.
 
Yusuke's grin accentuated his demonic fangs. “We're not dead yet.”
 
-----