Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Fox Games ❯ Regrets ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Fox Games:
Chapter 1- Regrets



The sky was a threatening gray and the wind whistled by Kurama's ears as he stood under the tree in the park. He ignored it as best he could, and stuffed his hands deep into the pockets of his jeans. Hiei sat lazily on the branch above him, seemingly undisturbed by the wind, eyes shut, back leaned against the thick trunk. They had been waiting only ten minutes, but to the kitsune it seemed hours. Everyday had pretty much been like that, since Haven left. The minutes marched on endlessly, each one seeming to take an eternity to pass. The days all stretched into one long lifetime and his memories of the past few weeks were all a blur. The only things that remained clear in his muddled mind were the days he had spent with Haven.

Haven, his beloved kitsune. She had joined them on their last mission, under Koenma's orders and had at first seemed like she hated them all. But through perseverance and stubborn determination they had discovered she only pushed people away to hide the hurt inside. For her past had been painful, and she had been hurt many, many times. Not wishing to be hurt again, she had built a wall around herself and shut everyone out. But little by little the Urameshi Team had gotten through. Especially Kurama. After spending time with her, he had found himself falling in love. And upon confessing this to his fox, he had found himself swept away in a tide of passion.

But he made one fatal mistake. He let his doubts and worries get the better of him. Feeling as if he wasn't worthy of her trust, fearing to betray her, and thinking he had nothing better to offer her then a half-life because he was human, he had done her the worst sin possible. He had let her go. Hurt, confused, and grief-stricken, she had left, going off on her own to goodness knows where and never leaving a trace that she had been there.

Kurama and the rest of the Urameshi Team hadn't heard from her since. And now, two months later, Kurama's heart still ached for the one he knew would never return. Only too late had he realized his mistake. Only too late had he realized what he had done. The worst possible betrayal, the one he had sworn never to do, now stained his heart and mind. She had only let herself love him after much coaxing and many promises. Her shattered heart had begun the long journey towards healing, and her life was slowly coming into focus. The cruelest thing he could have done to her would have been to smash the fragments once again, leaving her hanging onto nothing, and falling into a black void where no love ever came.

Cracking open an eye, the fire demon resting on top of the leafy branch, looked down upon his slender friend. He watched him intently, searching for any trace of the Kurama he had once known, but having little hope he would find any. Haven had changed Kurama and in the end it had been for the worst, indirectly of course. She was not the one who had betrayed the other. But Kurama realized what he had done, and the guilt had consumed him. Eating away at his soul, it had festered in him and fostered a heart-wrenching sadness accompanied by a lonely despair. He had withdrawn in upon himself and spoke little, if at all, to anyone. Hiei, though he did not say it, worried deeply about his friend and wished he could do something to bring back the fox he had once been.

Sighing, the short demon closed his eye once more and listened to the wind. It swept down from a steely sky and carved a rippling path through the leaves above him. A storm was coming, and a bad one at that. Even though a human could not smell it like he could, they could at least see it. Stupid Yusuke; telling them to meet him out here when there was going to be drenching rains and horrible lightning, typical stupid idiot. He only hoped that the brash, young Spirit Detective had a good reason.

Hearing the shouts from below, Hiei opened both eyes this time and jumped lithely down. Yusuke and Kuwabara were running towards the two demons at breakneck speed, probably hoping to avoid the impending rain. Standing next to the muddled fox demon, Hiei put on his typical look of never-ending boredom. Yawning as the two humans finally came up to them he said, "You're late."

"Sorry," Kuwabara said, panting heavily.

"Yusuke, do something with this idiot," Hiei snapped, patience wearing thin.

Ever since Haven had left, Hiei and Kuwabara's tolerance for each other had lessened. Though they had never been the best of friends, they had at least gotten along when Haven was around. The whole group had become tight, inseparable when she was there. There was just something about her that brought people together, something in her aura. She was just a people person by nature, once you got past her walls and defenses. Those on the outside would say she seemed cold and heartless, unfeeling. But those she let into her elite inner circle knew just how warm and caring she was. Life had been harsh to her, and she deserved the best, but it had been taken away before she had really had a chance to experience true happiness.

Ignoring Hiei's comment, Yusuke said, "Sorry we're late, but I got...sidetracked."

Hiei raised an eyebrow.

"Never mind, I'll tell you later," he went on impatiently. "Pacifier-breath is gonna send us all on another mission, so just a fair warning."

Hiei gave a disgusted sigh and rolled his eyes. Kurama, showing the first sign that he knew what was going on, shook his head slowly and turned to look at the Sprit Detective with sunken eyes. "What kind of...mission?" he asked slowly.

"He speaks!" Kuwabara exclaimed. He was promptly glared at by a certain short-tempered fire demon and closed his mouth.

"I dunno," Yusuke answered. "But it sounds like a doozy this time."

"How can anything possibly be worse then finding all those stupid Artifacts?" Hiei said with a sneer.

He was, of course, referring to their last mission, the one with Haven. They had been sent out by Koenma to find the 7 Chaos Articles. It had taken them several months to find them all and it was in those months that the two foxes fell in love.

Yusuke shrugged. "I'm not sure, but I hope it's not as bad..." He trailed off and glanced over at Kurama, who had gone back to staring off into space.

A flash of light followed by a booming peal of thunder announced the beginning of the storm. The rain started coming down in sheets and the four boys crowded underneath the leafy canopy. Hiei leaped back up onto his branch, staring out at the raindrops splattering the grass. Kurama didn't seem to notice and continued to stare at nothing. Yusuke and Kuwabara shook their heads and looked up at Hiei in unison. He, however, shrugged and said nothing more. Sighing the two human members of the Urameshi Team said their goodbyes and ran off as fast as they could through the rain, towards the warmth of their own homes.

The rain was cool, but not cold for summer was here. Hiei stuck his hand out beyond the tree's sheltering embrace and let the rain wash over his small hand. Thunder sounded again and the air seemed to dance with electricity. "Probably not a safe place to be," Hiei thought. "under a tree during a thunderstorm."

Gathering his cloak around him, he lept lightly down and landed in front of Kurama. Kurama started slightly, then followed when Hiei motioned they should leave. Walking slowly behind his short friend, Kurama turned his face slightly upwards and let the cool rain wash down his face. Water streamed from the ends of his long, red hair and his uniform had turned a dark, dull magenta color. He sighed softly, so Hiei would not hear, and was glad for the rain, for it hid his tears.

What had he done.........