Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Fox Games ❯ Promises ( Chapter 12 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Fox Games:

Chapter 12- Promises

Later that night, after dinner had been eaten and all were stretched out sleeping by the fire, Haven got up and went off a little ways by herself. She leaned against a tree trunk and sighing, staring up at the full moon above one last time. A tear trickled down her cheek and she didn't bother to wipe it away for more fell soon after it.

She jumped a mile in the air when a clawed hand reached out from behind her and gently wiped away a few of the tears on her face. Whirling around she came face to face with Kurama, who raised one eyebrow at her. She threw herself at him and wrapped her arms around his neck tightly, burying her face in his shoulder. He squeezed her waist tightly for a moment, then gently pulled back.

Haven pulled back also and stared up into his handsome face as if memorizing every little detail about his face. Leaning down, Kurama placed a chaste kiss on his love's lips before she pulled him back again for more. He sucked hungrily on her lips and felt her moan against his. Her tongue darted out and found its way into his mouth, caressing his own and intertwining with it. They clung to each other as if there was nothing else in the world to hold onto, as if they were stuck in the middle of a stormy sea with nothing but the other to save their lives.

Kurama fell back onto the ground and pulled Haven down on top of him. She threw back her head and laughed, then gazed down at him, love shining brightly out of her eyes. He looked back up at her and drank in her beauty as if he were seeing her for the first time. Her hair hung loose in a glowing halo around her head and ears and her eyes were sparkling with desire. Clawed fingers entangled themselves in his silvery hair and moist lips met moist lips once again in a heated, hungry kiss.

The two kitsune rolled and tumbled under the watchful gaze of the brightly shining moon and stars…

***************

The moon wheeled overhead and the stars turned in their never-ending dance. Kurama lay now with his head in Haven's lap, staring up at her slightly sweaty face and mussed hair. She was still the most beautiful thing he had ever seen in his life.

Haven was running her fingers through his silken air, and staring absent-mindedly at his face; her eyes seemed turned inward, as if she were remembering some far off place she had only seen in her dreams. He stirred slightly and trailed a claw across her cheek, watching her shiver. "You're not going," he stated softly, but with a trace of steel underneath.

She sighed and covered his mouth with a long finger so he wouldn't speak. She stared off into the dark foliage for a moment, then up at the stars above before turning back to him and starting to sing.

If I'm gone when you wake up,

please don't cry.

And if I'm gone when you wake up,

please don't sigh.

Don't look back at this time,

as a time of heartbreak and distress.

Remember me, remember me,

cause I'll be with you in your dreams.

And even though my flesh is gone,

I'll still be with you at all times.

And though my body is gone,

I'll be there to comfort you at all times.

I don't want you to cry and weep.

I want you to go on living your life!

I'm not sleeping an endless sleep,

'cause in your heart you have all of our good times…

Don't cry I'm with you!

Don't sigh I'm by your side!

Don't cry I'm with you…

Her voice faded out and Kurama felt dazed, like he always did after Haven's singing. Ever since the fox-boy had first heard her sing, he thought she had the voice of angel. Clear and sweet, pure and harmonious, he had fallen in love with her voice from the very start.

"But you're still not going," he said and sat up, pulling her onto his lap. He cradled her close and she clung to him, her breathing calm and even.

"I have to go Kurama, it's the only way…"

"No it isn't!" he exclaimed vehemently. "There has to be some other way! I won't let you go! Promise me you won't go." His voice now held a note of pleading in it, barely covered up by his concern.

"Kurama-"

"Promise me!"

"Kurama, I-"

"PROMISE ME!!!"

She sighed, knowing she had lost the battle. "Alright…" she said in a small voice, not meeting his eyes. He breathed a sigh of relief and the kitsune girl felt it tickle her ears gently.

"Thank you," he whispered in her ear. "We'll save Rosensa some other way. We won't let her die."

Haven nodded silently. She began humming softly, then chanting in a singsong voice. Slowly it rose to a quiet song and Kurama drifted off to sleep, his head still in her lap, her voice enchanting his dreams.