Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Fox Love ❯ Chaos ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]



Fox Love:
Chapter 2- Chaos



Yusuke just stood there, mesmerized, and stared at the spot where she had been. A slight breeze ruffled Hiei's hair as his mouth quirked up slightly and his eyes shone. Kurama's mouth also curved into an almost-smile. Kuwabara shut his mouth with a click of teeth and scowled at Hiei. And that was how Boton found them.

She floated down out the shimmering azure sky and landed lightly and gracefully on the parched ground in front of Yusuke.

"Yusuke?" she said, breaking the trance-like state they had been in.

He started and looked at the blue-haired girl standing impatiently in front of him, her violet eyes snapping. "Koenma wants to see you all ASAP," she stated, now addressing the whole group.

"Why?!" came the immediate response from Hiei.

"He needs to talk to you about something very important," was all Boton would say.

***************



An hour later they were sitting by a small stream, waiting for Koenma. The crystal clear waters chuckled and laughed to themselves as they leaped and danced over smooth stones on their way to join the larger river. The sun shone above, warm, but not hot, making the waters glitter like diamonds and caressing their skin into warmth. The motley group were arrayed on the cool grass by the streambed- Yusuke throwing rocks at the tiny silver and blue fish that darted through the water's currents, Hiei stretched out on his back, apparently sleeping, Kurama sitting next to him, examining his shredded uniform and trying to figure out what he was going to tell his mother, and Kuwabara flirting with Boton, as usual. Yusuke rolled his eyes at Kuwabara and chucked another stone into the stream.

"When's toddler-boy gonna get here?" he yelled, his temper rising a notch or two.

"Right now," came a voice from behind him, followed by a hard whack on his head. "Ouch! That hurt…" he whined, turning around to face the ruler of the Spirit World. He opened his mouth to say some smart-ass remark, but stopped when he saw who was standing next to Koenma. It was the girl from before!

Hiei, now propped up on his elbows smiled sardonically and said, "So you're back."

She looked at him and smiled, showing perfect pearly teeth. "Nice to see you too," she replied her voice dripping honey.

"Now stop that!" Koenma ordered. "That's no was to behave around the people you will be working with! Especially you five, because you are going to be seeing a lot of each other these next few months."

Dead silence. Then from Hiei, "WHAT?!"

Koenma just smiled.

"You have got to be kidding me!" the girl shouted. "I will not be stuck BABYSITTING a bunch of idiots! This is an embarrassment to me and all my kind!!!" She stopped screaming to catch her breath, but Koenma cut in, "You will not be "babysitting", despite what you may think, Haven. These boys can and will do their share and fight for themselves. They just needed a little…help this time." The girl just snorted.

"Haven…so that's your name," Kurama stated quietly, his red locks billowing gently in the breeze. "A suitable name for one who just saved us. A suitable name…for a kitsune."

Haven's head snapped towards him, fixing him with her piercing green eyes, so like his own. She sneered. Hiei smirked and Yusuke grinned smugly. They loved it when Kurama dug these things out. He could sense things like that, things people hid.

But she just rolled her eyes and looked at Koenma. "So why am I getting stuck with them?" she queried, her tone mocking.

Koenma sighed, this was going to be a long afternoon. "You will all be going on a search to find the 7 Chaos Articles," he began.

"What?!" Yusuke interrupted.

Koenma glared at him and sat down on the green carpet of grass beside Boton and motioned for Haven to do the same. She did so hesitantly. "The 7 Chaos Articles," he repeated his patience growing thin, "are all artifacts of great power, wanted and coveted by demons and humans alike. They can be used wrongly and destroy entire worlds in one blow, or used for good and create whole worlds in one simple motion. But they can be used for many other things besides that, good and bad alike, and each has powers unique to itself. And that's where the trouble begins. As I mentioned before, there are 7 of them: The Chaos Whistle (Milanthra), The Chaos Sword (Crimson Soul Stealer), The Chaos Whip (Devil's Lash), The Chaos Ring (Golden Mist), The Chaos Staff (Gilded Power), The Chaos Sphere (Silver Dreams), and the Chaos Coronet (Raven's Jade). They are all scattered throughout the world, either hidden or possessed by someone. You need to seek them out and bring them to me because if they fall into the wrong hands, the world as we know it will be no more." The toddler fell silent now, scanning the faces of those he had just informed, searching for some kind of response.

"And just how are we to find these…Chaos Articles?" Haven questioned, her face a mask, but her emerald eyes stormy and brooding.

Koenma turned to her and replied, "I know the whereabouts of some of the artifacts, my spies have searched them out. The others could be anywhere, but the ones you find and gossip and rumors will lead you to the rest."

Haven swallowed and her mask slipped for a split second, revealing a face tortured by long hard years, a face that had endured much and gained little. Then it was back again, and twice as unreadable, even her eyes were blank now. "Which articles do you know the whereabouts of?" she questioned, her voice carefully schooled to flatness by years of practice.

"I have a general idea where the Chaos Sword is and an idea of where the Chaos Whip may lie. That is all."

Haven fixated her eyes on the tiny ruler, the shield that covered them gone now. Her eyes shone out like beacons, bright, strong, and unafraid. "I know where the Whistle lies," she stated simply, her voice barely above a whisper.

Koenma's eyes widened and his mouth parted slightly. "You do?" he whispered.

She shifted her eyes away and looked at the rest of the people seated there. "Yes," she assured him, "because I have possession of it."