Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Fox Love ❯ Whistle ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Fox Love:
Chapter 6- Whistle



Kurama, Hiei, Yusuke, and Kuwabara stared after the slender form of the charging kitsune girl. She let out a hoarse battle cry and left for the demon's throat. But the demon's muscled body slid smoothly aside, but he wasn't quite fast enough and the blow glanced off his shoulder. He growled, a low carnivorous sound that made Kuwabara start and Hiei's eyes narrow. The little fire-demon was standing next to Kurama one moment, and the next he was yards ahead, charging straight at the demon. Kurama sighed and shook his head, sending the fiery locks swirling. He stuck his hand underneath and whipped out a rose, cracking it above his head and causing a long, snaking whip to form. Yusuke's hand began to glow blue and Kuwabara's sword flashed up suddenly in the dim light.

Yusuke glanced over at his two friends. "Well,...here we go!"

***************



Hours later, the fighters were tired, bloodstained, and seriously lacking in Spirit Energy. All but Haven. The mysterious kitsune never seemed to falter or tire, her smooth skin unmarred by any wound, but her sword covered in demon blood. The others were amazed at her skill and speed. She was like a machine; seemingly tireless, she fought on with strength and determination, both mirrored in her hard emerald eyes.

The demon's numerous wounds dripped blood, and the floor was slick with puddles where it had fallen. The fighters were forced to slow down and watch their footing, lest they fall and be crushed by the demon's massive form. While he was still fighting, he had obviously weakened and there was still a faint glimmer of hope in the eyes of the fighters, lording over even their exhaustion.

The demon's sword lashed out once more and caught Kurama off guard. It skewered him right through the stomach and he fell to the ground. Claws reached down and a vaporous green gas escaped from them and enveloped the kitsune.

"Kurama!" Yusuke shouted.

The demon laughed once more. "Poison!" he boomed. "Who's next? Who wants to be the next to die?!" His laughter reverberated off the walls.

Haven threw a withering glance at Yusuke, who glared back and brought up his fist. "Keep fighting!" he screamed. "We have to get that sword!"

Haven glared at him once more and lept up on top of some boxes. "Fine, enough of this game, I'm tired of playing." She turned to the demon. "You're dead," she said, her voice low and threatening.

The demon laughed and turned toward her. "I'd like to see you try."

But his reply was directed at an empty box, for Haven was gone. She reappeared on top of his head and said, "Now die." As the last syllable left her mouth, she buried her sword up to its hilt in the monsters ugly head. And as he threw back his head and roared in pain she lept up into the air and fired a massive blue energy blast right into his mouth. The scream was cut off shortly and the monster fell to the ground with a crash that made the ceiling and walls shudder.

Haven landed lightly next to the beast and yanked her sword free. Wiping the blood off on the demon's shirt, she re-sheathed it and began walking around looking for the sword. The others were crowded around Kurama, seeming to have forgotten about the sword.

Finding the leather belt around its waist, Haven yanked on it and growled in frustration when she realized it was stuck under the demon's heavy body. Pausing for a moment she seemed to consider something, then brought her hands up before her. Holding them both palms outward, she closed her eyes and a fiery blast shot outwards and incinerated the body in front of her. Ash and smoke flew everywhere and the rancid smell of burnt flesh crowded everyone's nose. When the smoke cleared they saw Haven standing amid a pile of ashes holding the still glowing Chaos Sword.

"Found it," she said with a smirk. Then upon seeing Kurama she jogged over and peered down. Sighing, she looked at the others. "He needs healed, let's get him back to the hotel as fast as we can and I'll see what I can do. That poison may be beyond me."

Yusuke exchanged a worried glance with Kuwabara, then pointed at Kurama. Kuwabara lifted the motionless form gently to his back and began the long trek back to the hotel.

***************



Back at the hotel, Kurama was laid on one of the beds and Haven pulled up a chair next to it. Her face looked drawn and her body was wire tense. The others all sprawled around the room, looking just as tired, but refusing to sleep until they knew Kurama was going to be all right. He was still weak from his recent fever and didn't look very good. His breathing was shallow and his face had turned a sickly yellow that shone with sweat. His slender frame shook and he seemed cold.

Haven placed her hands on his stomach and the now familiar blue light enveloped their friend. Moments later it faded from view and Haven sat back, a satisfied look on her face.

A split second later it disappeared to be replaced by the typical blank mask. "The wound is gone, but the poison still remains. I don't think he is in any danger of dying anymore, we just have to let the poison run its course and he should be fine."

Audible sighs of relief were heard from the others and they seemed to relax a little. Haven stood up. "Now I am going to sleep," she stated and walked wearily out of the room.

Yusuke flopped down on a bed and shut his eyes, only to open them again moments later when his Communication Mirror went off. He groaned and shoved his hand into his pocket, yanking out the small, purple mirror and flicking it open.

"What do you want, Botan?" he mumbled, his words slurred with sleep and exhaustion.

"Yusuke! Listen to me! You must get out of there now! Whether you have the sword or not! Leave!" came the urgent voice of the Grim Reaper girl.

"What?!" Yusuke yelled, now fully awake. "We just finished getting the sword and I'm TIRED! We can't go anywhere until we get some sleep!"

She shook her head, sapphire hair flying. "No! You don't understand. "There is a human, a man, with possession of Devil's Lash, The Chaos Whip! He's going around murdering innocent people and destroying everything in his path! He must be stopped immediately! The Whip has greatly increased his power and he cannot be stopped by any normal person."

Another groan issued forth from the Spirit Detective's mouth as he swung his legs over the side of the bed. "Fine, fine, whatever. Talk to you later." And he closed the mirror, shutting down his link with Boton. "Kuwabara, Hiei!" he shouted. "Wake up! We have to leave!"

Grumbles were heard and a muttered curse from Hiei. "Boton's orders! Grab Kurama and let's go!" He stalked out of the room and across the hall to where Haven's room was. He banged rudely on her door. The sound of something heavy smashing into the door reached Yusuke's ears and he involuntarily took a step back. The door opened moments later and he came face-to-face with the tip of Haven's sword.

Upon seeing Yusuke, she re-sheathed her sword with a grunt and looked at him, one eyebrow raised.

"We have to leave now," he informed her. "Boton's orders. There's some guy with a whip we need to track down."

His report was met with a blank stare from the kitsune girl and she blinked once, twice before replying, "And what about Kurama?"

"Kuwabara's got him."

With a resigned sigh she disappeared back into her room. Hiei and Kuwabara walked out of their room and came to stand next to Yusuke. Moments later Haven was back and she glanced at them wordlessly before walking down the hall towards the elevators. The little company trudged tiredly after her, wondering when they were ever going to get a break.

***************



Dusk found the group almost falling asleep on their feet as they wandered the woods miles from the city, searching for the man with the Whip. Kurama had been shifted to Yusuke's strong, but slightly less broad back and Kuwabara was tiredly rubbing his aching muscles. Hiei strode in front with Haven, his finely tuned senses searching for some sign of this man. They continued searching for another hour or so until Yusuke collapsed beneath Kurama's added weight and remained slumped on the ground.

"Urameshi?" Kuwabara asked.

"I don't care what Boton says!" came the frustrated outburst. "I am dead tired, I can't and won't go another mile until I've had some sleep!"

The others agreed and moved into a small clearing. Kurama was laid at the base of a tree and the others positioned themselves on the ground around him, asleep within minutes.

Their exhausted minds slept undisturbed for several hours, drifting in a dream world borne on the backs of the starry night. The stars above looked down upon the sleeping youths and the moon rose slowly into view, it's silvery light washing them with an unearthly glow.

Kurama tossed and turned, crying out in his sleep and eventually waking up and sitting straight up. His breathing was labored and as he awoke, he felt a sensation of nausea. Scrambling to his feet he stumbled into the woods and threw up all that was in his stomach. Crawling back into the clearing he found the others all awake waiting for his return. He smiled weakly at them and lay back down. They followed his example and were soon asleep once more.

But, it appeared that fate had decided to torture them further. For the poison was now circulating through Kurama's body and pain ruled his mind. His legs and arms seemed to be on fire and his dreams were haunted by specters and cruel imaginings, things stored at the back of one's subconscious and released only by night. He rolled over and cried out in his sleep, waking himself and the people with him up once more. Finding himself the target of worried looks and blank glances he smiled reassuringly and lay back down.

But every time they all managed to fall back asleep Kurama would reawaken them, the poison torturing his weak body, terrorizing his mind and keeping him awash with nausea. The others were frustrated, for they couldn't seem to get their well-deserved sleep. Something always got in the way.

Finally after this had gone on for about two hours, Yusuke sat up and slammed his fists on the ground. "What does a guy have to do to get some sleep around here?!" he screamed.

"I am sorry, Yusuke," Kurama answered quietly, his voice strained and tinted with pain.

Haven stood up, walked over to her pack and pulled out something the others couldn't see. Then without a backward glance she walked out of the clearing and into the shadows of the night. Glancing at each other the rest of the group sat where they were, watching, waiting for her to return.

Then, from out of the shadows came a low piercing note. That note was followed by others, until a whole stream of them flowed into the ears of the boys seated in the clearing. Bourne on the wings of night, it was a haunting tune. One that seemed to tell of memories that flitted through one's mind, barely brushing your senses before disappearing again. It swirled around them, lifting them up on the winds of sleep, causing them to lay back down, their eyes growing heavy, their world growing dim. As their eyes traveled upwards they saw silhouetted against the jeweled sky the slender form of Haven. She held a slender object to her lips as she walked the overhanging branch above them and the music issued forth from it in lingering notes. It was the Whistle.

"The Whistle...," Kurama thought as he struggled to sit up and reach the kitsune girl above. But he collapsed in sleep, the mournful tune lulling his mind and dulling his senses. The last thought that flitted through his befuddled mind was "Haven...."