Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Fox Love ❯ Betrayal ( Chapter 14 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Fox Love:
Chapter 14- Betrayal



Kurama's heart sang. The skies above were a shimmering blue, dotted with cottonball clouds. and filled with a wafting breeze. Haven walked by his side, her fingers entwined in his, as they had been for the past few days. They almost never left each other's sides, keeping the other always in their sight. The fox-boy was happy, his soul felt complete and his heart was filled with elation. She was his. Forever.

Glancing over, Haven noticed Kurama staring off into the distance, his mouth curving in a dreamy smile. Nudging him playfully she laughed. "Thinking about me again?" she inquired mischieviously.

His cheeks pink Kurama poked her side and said, "No!" loudly, but with no conviction.

Looking back, Kuwabara saw the two flirting foxes and sighed. They had been like this ever since the day at the lake. He shook his head, they were so mushy.

Yusuke, strolling ahead had noticed none of this and was whistling to himself. Picking up the tune Haven began to sing and was soon joined by Kurama's soft voice. Yusuke, surprised looked back, but kept the tune and continued walking. Kuwabara shook his head and kept his mouth clamped shut, as did Hiei.

The day wore on, and so did the week. They were getting farther and farther south, this being apparent in the weather. It was still winter in the southern regions of the land and as they moved into the deeper south, the air got colder. The forest the little company was moving through was not yet far south enough to not have leaves. The trees were alive, and a churning river ran through their midst. It was here the group decided to stop and set up camp for the night.

Yawning, everyone agreed and dinner was quickly eaten and beds were quickly set up. Feeling restless Haven announced she was going for a walk and got up. Kurama asked if it was alright if he went too, and Haven nodded.

The two foxes strolled off, arm in arm and were soon lost from sight amoung the trees. Hiei grunted and rolled over, soon falling asleep. Kuwabara sighed once more and went to sleep also, soon to be followed by a curious, but exhausted Spirit Detective.

Walking under the trees, the two kitsunes were dappled with shadows and moonlight. The silvery light glinted off Haven's shining gold hair, making it sparkle and dance. Kurama held her close, his arm tight about her waist and buried his sensitive nose in her scented locks. He always loved the way her hair smelled; it smelled of sweet meadow grass tinted with honeysuckle and wildflowers. She murmured underneath him and hugged him tight.

Sighing he withdrew and the both paused for a moment in a small clearing to look up at the velvet curtain that was the sky. The curtain was sprinkled with glittering stars and wisps of translucent clouds. The breeze that wafted through the branches was cool and refreshing, bearing on it a hint of spring. They would soon be in winter's regions, though the winter would soon move out and make way for spring.

His arm still protectively about Haven's waist Kurama gazed up at the stars in wonderment, he had never seen them so bright or so clear. Haven sighed at his side and breathed the night air in deeply. Kurama looked down at his beautiful kitsune and was overcome with a fierce sense of love. He pulled her into a tight hug, which she prompty returned and then withdrew slightly and brushed a stray lock of gold out of her face.

And almost before he knew what he was doing, his mouth descended on hers and he was kissing her. Surprised at first, Haven kissed him back as a reflex, then relaxed and enjoyed it. His lips were soft as they trailed over her jaw and she breathed in his ear, whispering to him.

"I love you, Kurama."

He put his lips up against her ear in return and kissed it before replying, "I love you too."

They stood like that for what seemed an endless amount of time. The world had disappeared for them and time stood still. Nothing moved except the stars wheeling overhead and the clouds trailing across the moon.

What might have been seconds, minutes, or hours later, they parted and linked arms once more. Without talking, each knew that they must now return to the little campsite where their friends slept. Walking slowly, not wanting the moment to end, they strolled back to the fire.

The next day dawned chill and wet. Waking to a heavy dew on the ground and soaked clothes, the Urameshi team ate quickly and continued their long trip south. Soon after they had started, however, it began to rain. The rain poured down in buckets, soaking right through their thinner summer clothes in seconds. Drenched, cold, and miserable, the group trudged on, hoping for some sort of shelter or relief from the torrent above.

Kurama walked close by Haven's side, sheltering her as much has he could. Kitsune's tended to be protective or their mates, if not a little overprotective at times. Kurama wanted nothing to happen to his beloved fox that he could prevent. Haven realized this and went along with what he was doing. Normally, she would have protested, but seeing the look in his eyes, she decided to go along with it for now. Cuddled close she breathed in his scent and permitted herself a small smile of satisfaction. Noticing her smile, Kurama grinned back at her and squeezed her gently for a second before letting go.

It was at that moment that Yusuke gave a shout and ran on ahead. Cursing and grumbling under their breaths, Hiei and Kuwabara ran after, leaving the two rain-soaked kitsunes behind. Swearing her self, Haven grabbed Kurama's arm and jogged to catch up. The Spirit Detective had found a shed, next to a lone farmhouse sitting on top of a hill. Both seemed to be abandoned, so he shoved open the door and darted inside. He was followed very quickly by four other teens. Slamming the door behind him, Kurama shook his head and wrung out his hair, ignoring the smirks from Yusuke and Hiei. Haven was doing the same, but she did not notice.

Sitting down on the hard, but dry floor, the friends talked for a few hours, ate some lunch, then decided to spend the rest of the day here, catching up on their sleep. The rain did not seem to be letting up so they felt that they were fine just doing nothing. Curling up in a semi-dry blanket, Haven was soon asleep, her head pillowed in Kurama's lap, her breathing deep and even. Yusuke, leaned up against the wall in the far corner, could soon be heard snoring and Kuwabara's deeper snorts were soon to follow. Sniffing in disdain, Hiei grabbed a blanket for himself and stretched out on the floor as far away from Yusuke and Kuwabara as he could get. Chuckling softly to himself, Kurama leaned his head back against the wall in and effort to fall asleep himself, but his efforts were in vain.

Thoughts swirled around his head, and the events of the past few days replayed themselves over and over in his head. Admitting to Haven he loved her, singing to her, holding her, hugging her...kissing her. The last one was the memory that stuck foremost in his mind. The scene seemed embedded in his mind forever. That night...then he would see he tear-stained face as she looked up at him with the utmost love and trust and his stomach would flip and his heart would rise. Glancing down at his sleeping fox, he traced the lines of her face with one soft, gentle hand. She stirred in her sleep and kissed his hand, without knowing. Startled, Kurama yanked his hand back. His breathing quickened for a split second, then calmed when she stayed asleep.

That look in her eyes...it was like she depended on him and him alone. Like he was her savior. The trust had overwhelmed him and now that he thought back on it, he wondered if he could live up to it. What did he have to offer her? A kitsune, trapped in a frail human body, bound by his love for another human. Kurama paused now, slightly frightened. She had put so much trust in him, it would hurt her to find out he couldn't bear it all, couldn't give her the life she deserved. Looking down he stared at her face, knowing that he didn't want to hurt her that way. He loved her, loved her so much he would die for her. But…still… It was too much, and failure loomed up before him. Haven began to blur as tears pooled in his eyes. HE couldn't do this to her...he had to let her go. Yes, it would hurt her, but it would be better then leading her on like this. He couldn't go on living his life like this. It was as if he were living a lie. He loved Haven, but to save her, he had to let go. His tormented mind had twisted his feelings into this one thought and wouldn't leave him in peace. He had everything wrong, horribly wrong, but he couldn't see it.

Kurama spent the rest of that night brooding, his thoughts muddled, until the first rays of the sun slipped through the cracks in the walls of the shed.

***************



The day was cool and the sun was playing hide-and-seek with the clouds. Dappled shadows and sunlight stained the land and a fierce wind was picking up. Huddled down inside their clothes, the Urameshi Team walked as fast as they could hoping to reach the small city ahead so they could get inside. After that, it would be only one more day of travel and then they would be in the deep south and searching for The Chaos Coronet.

Haven, as of yet unaware of how Kurama felt, was walking along next to him and singing at the top of her lungs. Kurama walked moodily next to her, not saying much and lost in his own thoughts. He needed to talk to her. It had to be soon. Glancing over at her, his heart twisted and his resolve almost broke. But that little voice in the back of his mind brought back his fear. So he hardened the resolve and promised himself he would tell her...tonight.

Haven looked over and, catching him staring at her, looped her arm loosely through his. She tugged him ahead towards the rest of the group, and he allowed himself to be thrust into the midst of the others. Tonight.

***************



Haven stretched out on her bed and sighed happily. Finally, a real bed under a real roof. She was warm and dry for the first time in days. A soft knock on her door interrupted her and she called out, "Come in Kurama!"

The door opened and Kurama's red head appeared. "Let's go for a walk," he said, seemingly hesitant.

Haven ignored it however, and agreed. Leaving the little place where they were staying, he took her down into the city and lead her towards the park. Wandering underneath the trees they only stopped when they came to the banks of a river. The silver-stained waters churned madly and the rush of the waters proved a background for the rest of nature's music. Kurama sighed heavily and stared out at the water.

"Kurama?" Haven inquired gently, her voice full of concern.

When he looked over at her, his eyes were muted and filled with anguish. "Haven...I...I can't really explain this...I..." swearing under his breath he trailed off and looked away.

Haven's hand rested gently on his arm and he covered it with one of his own. Turning back he tried again. "I don't know...if I can explain this...but I just don't know...I just...I just don't think it would be a good idea for us to be together anymore."

He cringed inwardly at his own words. They sounded harsh and cruel, even to his own ears

He dared to look at Haven's face and saw on it that look he had first seen when they met her. That tormented, grief-stricken look. She hadn't looked like that in months. And now it was back, and it was his fault. Her face twisted in utter pain and her eyes went blank.

Guilt welled up in him. He had to at least try to explain his fears. "Haven, I-"

But she cut him off. "No Kurama!"

Those were the last words she said to him that night. Flipping up into the leafy canopy above, she ran off into the night. Kurama stared after her hopelessly, his stomach churning with guilt. Haven...