Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Fox Song ❯ Mirage ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Fox Song:

Chapter 4- Mirage

Night fell slowly in the Makai; the sun slowly setting while the stars winked into view in the rapidly darkening sky above. The last colors of the dazzling sunset were still lingering on the edges of the horizon, their bright colors fighting to keep the last remnants of day alive. The birds had quieted their song, and now, as shadow swept over the land, the crickets and bats took up where their daytime partners has left of. The heat of day had dimmed slightly and the humidity had all but dissipated, leaving behind a warm, comfortable feeling. Leaves rustled as the gentlest of breezes blew by, and the forest floor crackled with life as creatures, small and large, darted in and out among the shadows and starlight. Even at night the Makai Forest teemed with life, the harmony of existence never ceasing.

Hiei led the way, his ruby eyes soaking up the meager starlight and reflecting it back one hundred-fold; the two red pinpricks of light alone scared away over half of the night's predators. Muffled curses from Yusuke and Kuwabara, walking behind him, met his sharp ears and Hiei heard a loud "thwack" as an unwary someone got slapped with a branch. Kurama was still slung over Kuwabara's shoulder, the exhausted kitsune had sunk into a deep, healing slumber earlier that day and still had not awoken.

Finding what he was looking for, Hiei turned aside and headed off in a direction parallel to the one they had been going in. A few minutes later, he stood on top of a rather large rock and surveyed their camp for the night. A small lake sparkled in the starlight and the tall reeds at it's far edge rustled softly in the breeze. Little waves crested and rolled into the sandy shore, leaving the sand wet and dark where they touched. Shadows splashed the grassy bank just above the grass and it was here that Hiei stood upon his rock. Satisfied, he nodded to himself and hopped down. Yusuke and Kuwabara followed him forward and the little party made it's camp just above where the sand met the grass.

A small fire crackled to life under Kuwabara's skilled ministrations and soon the delicious smells of cooking ramen filled the noses of all present. Glancing worriedly at Kurama, Kuwabara considered waking him up to eat, then decided against it; the poor kitsune needed his sleep. Turning back to the fire, he accepted the bowl of ramen Yusuke placed in his grip and the little group ate their dinner in mutely while the cold stars gazed down from above.

Putting down his bowl, Hiei stretched and in the blink of an eye he was gone; Yusuke managed to locate him several moments later, perched in the branches of a nearby tree. The little demon was obviously settling in for the night, and the other two decided it was a good idea also.

Despite the warmth of the night, Yusuke took the time to throw a spare blanket over his comatose friend, snorting softly as he did so. Lying down a few paces away and using his own blanket for a pillow, Yusuke joined Kuwabara as sleep took his mind.

***************

Merry, tinkling laughter reached his ears through a fog of sleep and half-formed dreams, chasing away the specters that had been haunting his mind. Blinking, Kurama pulled himself groggily to a sitting position, scratching behind both ears as he took in his newfound surroundings. Seemed the group had decided to make camp for the night. "Just how long did I sleep?" Kurama wondered, but was distracted quickly when he heard the laughter again. It was closer this time.

Leaping to his feet, he looked wildly around him, knowing the laughter to be Haven's. But his heart sank as he saw nothing and chastised himself for being a fool. Dead people did not laugh.

Snickering at the idea of a lifeless corpse laughing, he turned to gaze out over the lake; what he saw took his breath away.

The water of the small lake glittered in the bright starlight, the absence of the moon only making them seem all the brighter. Liquid silver bounced from wave to wave and painted the glowing form of the kitsune girl suspended on tiptoes above the glimmering surface. Eyes wide with disbelief, Kurama took slow steps forward until he stood at the edge of the lake. Shaking his head he smacked the bare flesh of his arm as hard as he could, knowing this had to be a dream and trying to wake himself up.

The cheerful laughter caressed his ears again as he rubbed at the angry red blotch on his arm. Dreams didn't hurt like this…or did they? Deciding he did not care, Kurama stared wonderingly at the form before him.

It was as if not a single day had passed since the first time he had seen her. Her long hair hung unbound and flowed like water down to her hips, the glossy strands shining in the starlight. Green eyes sparked with laughter and something more; that inner flame Kurama had seen burning so brightly when she was alive. The flame that proclaimed Haven's love of life for the entire world to see.

His stunned mind didn't even pause to think of the impossibility of it all as he walked slowly towards her, his own feet touching the surface of the water, yet not sinking through it. Haven appearing before him, the life in her eyes, his walking on water, nothing seemed to make contact with his heart or head as they were both soaring high above him. Her arms outstretched, Haven stood a mere ten feet from him now, his feet carrying him forward if their own will. She grinned at him and he found himself grinning back and reaching out his own arms.

But just as their outstretched fingers were about to touch, the sun's first rays broke over the horizon. Pale streaks flew across the sky in wistful arcs and the stars began to fade from sight. Blinking, Kurama watched as Haven slowly dissolved before his eyes, her smile fading with the dawn. Crying out, he lept forward, trying to catch her in his arms and fell face-first into the chill waters of the pond.

Flailing around underwater, he opened his golden eyes and looked up at the surface above him. Sunlight was just beginning to touch the waters above and they glimmered in the early light. Letting out the breath he had been holding, he watched as the bubbles floated before his eyes on their way up to the surface. "It's over," he thought and closing his eyes, he let himself sink slowly down into darkness…

***************

Gasping and sputtering, Yusuke pulled the taller demon out of the water and onto the sandy shore. Flinging dark hair out of his eyes he put his ear flat on Kurama's chest, listening for his heartbeat. He closed his eyes and stilled his own breathing for a moment, shutting out all other sounds around him.

Kuwabara and Hiei, awakened by all the noise came running towards him, skidding to a stop in the soft sand. Yusuke waved his hand violently at them, motioning for quiet. He pressed his ear harder against the strong chest beneath it and calmed his mind.

There was no heartbeat.