Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Fox Song ❯ Promise ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Fox Song:

Chapter7- Promise

Stalking around on four legs, the demon's sinewy body rippled all along its length with lean, hardened muscle. He hissed at them and a forked tongue flicked its way past his sharp front teeth. Kurama froze where he was. A forked tongue…forked tongue…flicking out past sharp white teeth…a forked tongue.

Images of Butari ran through his head, unchecked they flowed on and merged into one big blur with only one thing clear: the forked tongue. His vision flashed red and the world spun around him as he stared at the wiry demon with growing hatred. He twisted the Rose Whip in his strong hands and his companions heard the sound of the living rose crackling. If looks could kill, the demon would have been dead a thousand times over. Though his anger was misdirected, it had been suppressed for far too long and now, the silver kitsune could bear it no longer.

With a snarl and gnashing fangs, the fox lept forward, flicking his whip as he went. It sang through the air and landed with a resounding smack right in the middle of the demon's forehead. Howling with rage, it reared back and let out a howl of pain that made the trees shake. Coming back down with a thud, it shook the blood from its eyes and glared at Kurama with almost as much hatred as he was.

Twin growls left both their throats as each lunged towards the other, lost in the throes of battle. As Kurama turned to avoid a strike, Hiei caught a glimpse of his eyes and in them he saw nothing but lust, pure and simple bloodlust. Savagely he slashed at the beast while the other three boys simply stood there and stared.

They had never seen him like this before, had never seen him fight with such ferocity or such anger. The Rose Whip sang in his grasp and it sailed through the air and struck his opponent countless times, spattering the earth, rocks, and trees with red-brown blood. The kitsune himself never faltered, and the only blood staining his body was that of the demon. Marveling at his own newfound dexterity Kurama growled with glee and lashed out one final time.

With a final groan, the demon's body fell to the ground with a resounding thud. Blood sprayed everywhere and soon a large pool of the murky fluid formed around the fallen beast. Nodding with satisfaction, Kurama put away his whip…and promptly collapsed to the ground.

With a strangled growl, Hiei dashed over to his friend and found him staring at the bloody corpse, his entire body shaking. His tails lay limp upon the ground, covered in blood. Eyes wide and jaw clenched as if he were fighting the urge to vomit, Kurama looked up at his friend. Mist clouded his sight and as the others looked on, he fell backwards, unconscious.

***************

~*Shine bright morning light, now in the air the spring is coming…*~ He floated on a sea of fog, suspended in time and sailing through the ages, feeling rather then seeing, the stars and planets whirl on by him in a dizzying blur. ~*Sweet blowing wind, singing down the hills and valleys…*~ The voice swirled around him, buoying him up and gently tickling the very edge of his consciousness. It caressed his skin with the silky touch of a summer night's breeze, tickling the hairs on his arms and neck. ~*Keep your eyes on me, now we're on the edge of hell…*~ Eyelids fluttering, he tried to place the voice. It sounded so familiar…but he just couldn't place it. ~*Dear my love, sweet morning light

wait for me, you've gone much farther…too far…*~

Gathering all his strength, he managed to open his eyes and turned his head to look around. His body moved in slow motion, as if he were floating in a pool of gelatin. Every tiny movement seemed to take an hour to complete, but the hour did not seem to matter. Time had no meaning in this place.

His golden eyes took in his surroundings; endless light in all directions, swirling around him like mist and wrapping around his body like a snake. He absently brushed at the mist and watched disinterestedly as it simply reformed and took its place once more. But even as his thoughts fought to put themselves into coherence, another presence made itself known.

Feeling that undeniable sense of familiarity once more, the silver kitsune looked up, his head moving agonizingly slow until his golden eyes met a pair of sparkling green ones. Trying to gasp and finding that he could not inhale, he simply stared as the eyes retreated and the rest of Haven's body materialized.

Surprisingly, he did not feel the need to breathe and likewise did not feel the need to blink. His body seemed as if it were on pause, the thought ran through his groggy mind that if he put his fingers to his throat, he probably would not find a pulse.

Even so, that was the last thing on his mind right now as he watched her look down on him lovingly, smiling that disarming, radiant smile he knew so well by now. The light swirled around her head, crowning her with a halo of illumination. Her hair fanned out behind her, defying the normal laws of physics and it her feet did not seem to touch any sort of ground.

"Hello Kurama," she said at last, that sweet angel's voice of hers resonating throughout the light. The speechless kitsune realized that this was the first time he had heard her speak in any one of his visions.

But then he shook his head; visions were visions and this was not real. Who knows, he might wake up to find himself falling headfirst off a cliff or something. He sighed and started to turn his silver head away, knowing this was too good to be true.

With a slight frown, Haven reached out and grasped his chin in one clawed hand. "Do not tell me you have lost faith in me already." Her cynical voice rang harsh in his ears. The hand on his chin relaxed and as the gold kitsune lightly trailed her claws along Kurama's jaw line, he looked back and met her eyes.

"Never once have I lost faith in you. I have however lost my hope, my meaning for living," he said softly, once again not finding the need to breathe. Her claws were soothing as they left his face to tangle in the long, silky strands of his hair. Closing his eyes, he reveled in a sensation that had almost been forgotten and he knew that no matter what, he would never be able to truly move on in his life; no matter what kind of silly promises he made to himself.

"Now is not your time, Kurama. There are still many things planned for you." Her smile returned, this time with a touch of smugness about it. He opened his eyes to find the twin emeralds in hers glittering with a look of devious mischief, almost like a child who is about to play a practical joke. "When you awaken, things will be as they were. But there will be a sign, and when you find it, stay true to it, and I promise, you will be happy."

With that she backed away slowly and started to dissipate. "Wait! Haven! No!" Kurama shouted, reaching forward with one arm. "How will I know the sign?! Why can't I stay with you?! Don't leave me again!"

With a small giggle, Haven waved and blew him a kiss. "You will know the sign when it comes silly. Wait for it Kurama. It will come." And she faded away into the light.

"NO!" he cried, stretching his arm out as far as he could, reaching for her. "NO!" But even as his screams faded in his ears, darkness crept over the edges of his vision and stole away the light before his eyes. "No…" he whispered.

DISCLAIMER: The song "Fake Wings" is not mine and was not created by me. It is a part of the .hack//sign soundtrack and I take no credit for any part of it in any way whatsoever. ^.^