Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Fox Song ❯ Reunion ( Chapter 11 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Fox Song:

Chapter 11- Reunion

Warm sunlight tickled the eyelids of the sleeping boy and ever so gently, pulled them open. Sitting up with a huge yawn that made his jaw crack, he rubbed at one eye groggily and stared out at the plain in front of him with the other. Golden light bathed everything with a shimmering glow and sunbeams danced in the lake's surface.

Stretching, his eyes wandered to the edge of the forest and caught a glimpse of something silver among the gold. "Kurama?" Kuwabara thought, standing up as he did so. Carefully stepping over the sleeping forms of the other two boys, he jogged over to the kitsune.

As he came closer, he knew something was wrong. The silver fox was standing by the trees, ears drooping and tails hanging limp. His eyes were fogged over and his jaw was slack; Kuwabara almost expected him to fall over at any given moment. Closing the last ten feet of distance between himself and the silver kitsune, something red glittered at the edge of his vision, right by Kurama's feet.

Bending down, he picked up the red stone he had seen Kurama obsessing over the day before and found one nearly identical to it lying nearby. Scooping both up gingerly, he rolled them in the palm of one hand and watched as they sparkled in the early morning sun. Glancing up at Kurama, he saw the fox had not moved an inch. "Uh…Kurama?" he offered.

No response.

"Kurama?" He tried again and once more got silence as his only answer. Sighing he slipped the two Chishio-houshu into his pocket and slung the motionless kitsune over his back. Still he got almost no response, the only sign showing that Kurama had noticed was a small, almost inaudible whimper that slipped forth from his throat.

Kuwabara carried him back to where the others were still sleeping and set him carefully down by the edge of the lake. Yawning once more, he turned around and fell back into his bed.

***************

And hours later, as they little company reached the opposite side of the plain, and entered once more into a dense forest, Kurama was still silent as the grave. The only words he had spoken, were to ask Kuwabara if he may have the two Chishio-houshu back. The tall boy had immediately given them back; the heartbeat he had been feeling from the two stones had been giving him the creeps.

Now, once more, the two Blood-gems were clutched the hand of their owner.

Sunlight still filled the forest, brighter now as the sun had climbed up towards its peak. Colors swirled around the boys as brightly plumed birds darted in and out among the jade green leaves and perched amid blooming flowers.

Kurama walked along with his tails still limp and his eyes still slightly clouded. The spring that had once again graced his step after his vision from Haven was now gone, he was back to the broken kitsune he had been before. The birds' songs trilled in his ears, yet he heard none of them. Their feathers burst in and out of his vision in a myriad of colors, yet he did not see them. Tantalizing smells of thousands of flowers tempted his nose and filled his nostrils, yet he did not smell them. He did not notice anything until…

Ain't nothing gonna stop me now, I'm gonna make it,

I'm running hard and straight ahead.

Can't even take the time to mop,

the sweat that's streamin' like the rain off my head.

Ears perking up he cocked his head and strained towards the sound. It was Haven! Looking around joyfully, his tails flew up and began thrashing excitedly as he tried to pinpoint exactly where the song was coming from.

"Kurama?" Hiei asked. Then, "KURAMA!" again as his kitsune friend ran off into the forest. "Not again…" he muttered, eyes burning red.

But the only thing the running fox heard was Haven's voice. "I'm coming Haven!" he thought urgently. "Wait for me! I'm coming!"

Leaping over fallen trees and ducking under collapsed branches, he ran as fast as he could and barely noticed the forest flying by him in a whirlwind of color. A breeze filled his nose, smelling strongly of Haven and he grinned as he sensed her Spirit Energy up ahead.

Sensed her Spirit Energy?! He came to a screeching halt at the edge of a clearing as the thought hit his mind like a train. If she were dead…how could he…

Tinkling laughter greeted his ears as he looked up, startled. Haven stood on the other side of the glade, her arms stretched out to him and her tails wrapping around her waist like a sash. Warily, Kurama stepped forward; he had reached this point in his dreams so many times, only to have her fade away like mist under the sun.

Laughing once more, she took a few steps forward. "Hello, Kurama," she said and her voice chased away whatever shreds of doubt had been left in his mind.

An ecstatic grin stole over his face and he ran forwards, scooping her up in his arms and swinging her around in circles. Their laughter mingled and rose up into the sunny skies above, making a music more beautiful then any that has ever been known to man or demon.

Setting her down, but keeping his firm hold on her waist, Kurama stared down into the face of the one he loved. "Is…is it really you?" he whispered, afraid that at any moment now he would wake up and find her gone.

Smiling, the golden kitsune threw her arms around his neck and pulled him as close to her as she could. "Yes Kurama." He could feel her tears on his neck as she kissed the exposed skin there. "I'm here now. And I'll never leave you again."

With a joyful exclamation, Kurama gently pulled her back and pressed her warm, pink lips to his own. Moving his hands up to her smooth cheeks, he caressed the tanned skin there and felt her shiver under the stroke of his claws.

His arms dropped to her waist once more and tightened even more as he felt the tender prying of her tongue against his lips. Opening his mouth gladly in response, their tongues intertwined and danced with one another as the two kitsune embraced. Tears ran down both their cheeks as a sweet breeze swirled around them, making their hair blow about them in a silken cloud. Breaking off finally for the mutual need of air, they couldn't take their eyes off each other, staring into the others face as if memorizing their features.

Remembering the Chishio-houshu, Kurama untangled his arms from where they had been buried in Haven's golden tresses and reached into his pocket. Pulling out her stone he held it up before her eyes and watched as the golden kitsune's cheeks went pink. Grinning lopsidedly at her he chuckled and pulled out his Chishio-houshu. A small gasp escaped her lips. Slowly she reached out with a trembling hand and took the crimson gem, feeling the heartbeat it held and gazing at the flame burning in it's crystal depths.

Gripping it in her hand with a grasp that said she would not be letting go soon, she looked up and met Kurama's golden eyes square on with her own emerald ones. "I love you Kurama," she said, leaning her head against his chest.

"I love you too Haven," he replied, wrapping his arms around her and burying his nose in her hair, just like he used to. Nostrils flaring, he breathed in deeply, taking in more and more of her intoxicating scent.

Giggling, Haven gently pushed aside the folds of his shirt and began drawing patterns on the smooth, hard planes of his chest.

Steeling his courage, Kurama didn't move, but tightened his hold on her as he drew a deep breath. "Haven?"

"Yes Kurama?" came the sure, calm reply.

He took another deep breath and tried to suppress his churning stomach. "Will…will you be my mate?" He closed his eyes tightly and waited with baited breath.

Her ringing laughter reached his ears once more and he soon found himself on the receiving end of a very passionate kiss. He returned the kiss with equal passion an desire, stroking his claws up and down her arms, delighting in the sweet shivers that ran through her body.

She pulled back and looked up him lovingly, eyes sparkling with joy and rapture. "I guess I'll take that as a yes," Kurama said, amusement tinting his voice.

At that last comment, Haven threw her head back and laughed even harder as Kurama picked her up once more and swung her around. She threw her arms out as they spun in their circle and watched as the gold-washed forest revolved around her.

Kurama watched his love, almost bursting with happiness; this is what he wanted, this is where be belonged. He belonged with her, Haven, his kitsune.

No matter what the changes the future may bring,

It's you I'll remember always!

I'll trust you forever…

You'll carry us on!

~*END*~

Author's Note: Well folks, this is it: The last installment of the trilogy. Thanks so much to those of you who read everything and reviewed it! I've appreciated it very much. I hope everyone enjoyed it. ^.^ (Oh and by the way…I'm thinking about writing a sequel trilogy so just keep a look out for it…)