Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Free My Soul ❯ An Attempt Against One's Own ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Free My Soul: A Suicide Tale

Disclaimer: YYH belongs to someone, but it's not me so you can't sue, I just happen to be
using these characters to suit my twisted designs, the only thing I own in here is my (now dead) OC, Miyoh Urameshi.

Key
*thinking*
"talking"
*thoughts progressing into speech"
//telepathy//
'substitute for italics'
(occassional poem or something else)

A/n: By the way, all this is hapening between the transition from warmish autumn to freezing autumn. Also, I know the chappie sucks eggs, just getting over writer's block, (wb) so bear with me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter Six: An Attempt Against One's Own

::9:23pm, Kurama's home, almost a week after the stuff in the last chapter happened::

Kurama gets up and walks from the living room and into the kitchen, he couldn't take it anymore, the animosity in the air was stifling. Although the only thing worse than the fact that it was so thickly lacing the room, was that it wasn't even directed at him or Hiei, or even coming from them. It was coming from Yusuke, and it was hatred for himself being able to live while his sister was being burned to ashes and crammed into a tiny, uncomfortable urn.

"Yusuke, this wasn't your fault, why can't you believe that?" Kurama asks aloud, more to himself than anyone else. Hiei comes into the kitchen a few minutes later, getting a pitcher from the cupboard and filling it with ice cold water. Kurama raises an eyebrow suspiciously. "Hiei? What are you doing?"

Hiei doesn't reply as he goes back out into the living room, and, with Kurama watching, pours the whole thing onto Yusuke's head. Kurama just stares on, shocked, as this was very un-Hiei like. Yusuke, now dripping wet, just parts his sopping bangs from his eyes calmly and gets up, heading toward the bathroom, not yelling or cursing Hiei out at all. That was very un-Yusuke like behavior in itself, as Yusuke would normally let out a string of curses at Hiei before giving up. Hiei turns a somewhat impassive-red eyed gaze towards Kurama, who smiles and shakes his head.

"Well, you cooled him off Hiei." he replies, laughing slightly, as he hears the water in the shower turn on.

::::::::::::::::::::::::

The next day was also un-Yusuke like behavior for the detective as well, he refused to eat anything, Kurama tried to presuade him, but then decided not to push it, he would have eaten if he were hungry. Besides, he had eaten until then, so why would he suddenly stop now?

::::::::::::::::::::::::

The next few days passed without incident, Yusuke wasn't allowed to return to live in his home for the police were still investigating the crime scene, which didn't really make sense as they'd already called the death 'accidental', not that he wanted to stay there of course. However, he was let in long enough to gather his clothes and other stuff, Kurama's shirts were really too girlish for his tastes. He passed the taped-off crime scene on his way out the back door, and stared hard at the now brown blood stains that had soaked into the wood grain of the kitchen floor.

*Heh, well I'd wished you were dead sis, you are now, so why do 'I' feel so guilty? I really shouldn't be, you never cared about me. It's not like it was my fault, but, damn it, why? It's not like I meant any of those things...God, you were a fucking idiot! Why the hell did you go and do that?!* he punches the wall, which naturally crumbled slightly and shook under the strength of the blow. "Damn it!"

"Something wrong son?" a passing policeman asks warily, his hand straying to his boton holder.

"Nothing. Just don't bother me, you stupid, good-for-nothing, blue-uniform wearing, piece of..." a hand is clapped over his mouth before he can complete the insult and face the possibility of arrest. Kurama looks over Yusuke's shoulder at the momentarily stunned policeman.

"Ah, please forgive him, sir, all this is...very upsetting to him. She was his sister after all." Kurama tells him sincerely.

The policeman falls for it, a tear sliding down his cheek at this. He claps a hand on Yusuke's shoulder. "Be strong son. Your sister's in a better place."

Yusuke breaks free of Kurama's grip and glares at the policeman.

"You can take your sentimental bull and shove it up your..."

"Ah, come on Yusuke, we must get home and get you resettled." Kurama says, cutting him off and leading him away by the arm.

Yusuke follows, slightly dazed, but still thinking back to the bloodstained floor.

::1:42pm, Kurama's home, kitchen table::

Kurama and Yusuke are at the kitchen table, Kurama having finished his lunch and trying to get Yusuke to at least nibble at his own.

"Yusuke, won't you please try and eat something?" Kurama pleads with the stubborn teen futily.

"No, Kurama, I'm not really hungry."

"Well, at least have a bite of your ramen."

"I'm telling you Kurama, I'm not hungry."

"Yusuke..."

"No, Kurama, I'll get my own food, I'm not going to be a burden for you." he looks to the ground.*Like I was for Miyoh.*

Hiei comes in, sighing, and tells Yusuke that wasn't his fault.

"Hiei, stay out of my damn mind!" he moves to charge his Rei Gun. Hiei quickly unsheathes his katana and holds the tip at his throat.

"Yusuke, just eat, I'm getting tired of you two arguing." he tells the detective, who looks him defiantly in the eyes.

"Go ahead Hiei." he says, letting his Rei Gun fade. Hiei and Kurama quirk an eyebrow at this. "I mean it, you threaten to all the time, so why not just kill me? It's not like it'll matter anyway." He holds a sad gaze, like a wounded puppy, in his eyes.

Hiei snorts and sheaths his sword, walking out into the living room.

"You're a coward detective, you let a ningen's death break you."

Yusuke just looks to the ground while Kurama glowers at Hiei's retreating back, then turns back to Yusuke.

"Will you please just..." Kurama starts to say, being cut off.

"No!" Yusuke growls, swiping the plates, cups, and utensils to the floor and storming out. "Just leave me alone Kurama!"

Kurama sighs, stooping down to pick up the broken shards.

::3:34am, Kurama's home::

Yusuke sat alone on the floor of his bedroom, well it was really Kurama's but he apparently had given it to him and moved all his stuff to the guest room down the hall. Anyway, Yusuke was staring up at the moon from his window, it was but a small sliver of silvery beauty against the contrast of the inky black sky. He stood up and went over to his dresser, pulling out a razor and snapping off the blade and holding it to his left wrist. He pressed the flat edge hard against it and left an angry red mark, he did this mid-way up his left arm, then switched to his right, doing the same to that one as well.

He sighs, going over to the window to stare at the moon again, it's beauty was covered by the shadow of serene rain clouds.

*Well, I guess it's now or never.* he opens the window and leans out, taking a deep breath, and slashing three quick, deep cuts into his left wrist while following along the lines he had made up his left arm, holding it out the window so as not to bleed all over Kurama's floor. He didn't want him to have to deal with the police for something that wasn't his fault. He does the same to the other, his blood running quickly down his arms now, dripping down to the grass below. *If she had to suffer, then I will too.*

::3:45am, a tree::

Yes, I said it, a tree, and who was in said tree? Why our resident fire demon of course. Hiei was asleep, but the open Jagan eye was rapidly changing colors from purple to red and back to purple, it could sense something was wrong with Yusuke, it didn't know how. However, the eye knew that a close friend was dangerously close to having the candle of his life extingushed. Hiei senses the eye's discomfort, well it had awoken him anyway, so he gets up, and speeds toward Kurama's home with all the speed he can muster. By the way, and trust me on this, that little demon almost burned down his favorite tree from the friction of the speed at which he took off.

::4:00am, Kurama's home::

Kurama's sensitive nose alerts him to the metallic smell of blood and he gets up, vaguely wondering if Yusuke's wounds had opened again.

He sniffs, the smell getting stronger as he gets closer to his old room, he sighs, getting the bandages and salve from the top shelf of the linen closet.

*Wait a minute...his wounds healed up last week!* he nearly drops the things he's carrying as he makes a frantic dash to the room where Yusuke resides, yanking open the door, to find an unconsciousYusuke leaning on the windowsill with his chin on the sill and his arms hanging out of the window. He could see a faint figure of Botan hovering overhead, a sad look on the normally cheerful grim reaper's face, with a flickering black candle in her right hand. Her other hand was poised over it, as if about to blow it out. "Yusuke?" he asks in alarm and goes over to pull him away from the window gently, but gasping as he sees the red rivers running down his paling arms. Hiei appears a minute later, pushing the bottle of salve over to the stunned kitsune. Botan disappears, hoping that Kurama and Hiei can save him in time, his candle flame was dimming ever so slightly with each passing minute, she silently cried with the fact that she may have to blow it out soon, for the third time. The difference was that, only this time around it would be forever...

"Don't just sit there shocked, Kurama, he'll bleed to death." Hiei tells him as Kurama nods and gets to work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anaki: Ah, my lovely readers and faithful reviewers. -bows- Very sorry that I have not updated in a while, a spot of writer's block you understand, not to mention loads of schoolwork. Yes, sadly this chappie is very short by my standards. Also thank you for your review Sweet Sakura, I have gone back and read through my story throughly and see where errors have been made. I apologize if this is an inconvenience in you being able to read my story and fully enjoy it. However, I hope that won't deter you from continuing to review. I hope everyone who reads this chapter enjoys it enough to review. -bows once more-

RC#16: w00tness! New chappie! \oo/, Rock on, review, and she may update, w00t!