Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Fruitcake ❯ Skates ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Fruitcake
A Yu Yu Hakusho Christmas story
By Ibara Bara

Disclaimer: None of these characters are mine. They belong to Yoshihiro Togashi, Studio Perroit, and any other people who worked on the creation of this wonderful series.

Chapter 1: Skates

Kurama
It is nearing Christmas. Yuusuke and Kuwabara wanted to take the girls roller skating. I somehow managed to cajole Hiei into coming with us. He isn't too happy about it though. He's mostly mad because he has to wear ningen clothing. He refused to wear anything but black, though. I also made him put on a baseball cap to cover the ward that he puts over his Jagan. He was pretty pissed about that, especially after Kuwabara started to tease him about it. Right now he's just staring at the pair of roller skates that he's supposed to wear with a look of disgust on his handsome face.

I skate over to him, a bit unsteady, as I haven't been skating in a few years. I grin at him. "Why don't you put them on, Hiei?"

He snaps his head up to glare at me with his beautiful red eyes. Eyes that are flashing dangerously at the moment. "Hn!" He looks down at the skates disdainfully. "I am not wearing those." I smile at him; he ignores me and continues to glare at the skates as if he wants to melt them.

Which he can do.

"Don't you dare," I whisper as I feel his aura start to flare. His ki immediately goes back to normal. The Jaganshi gives me a sour look. I smirk at my lover. "You look so kawaii when you're mad, love," I whisper.

"Don't call me that!" The irate little fire demon gives me a look to kill. "Stupid fox. Go away." He looks like he's about to leave.

I put a hand on his shoulder. "Don't disappoint Yukina." The youkai stiffens, then glances in his sister's direction. "She'll be disappointed if you leave."

Yukina finishes putting on her skates and gracefully glides over to us. She favors us with a smile. "Kurama-san, Hiei-san, are you coming?"

"Hn," is Hiei's only response.

I smile at the little Koorime. "We'll be there in a few minutes, Yukina-san." She smiles at us happily and skates away. I look at Hiei and quirk an eyebrow.

My lover growls at me. "Fine. I'll wear the stupid things." It takes him a few minutes to put them on. "Happy?!" he growls sarcastically.

I decide to answer his rhetorical question. "Perfectly, love."

He growls at me and tries to stand up. And falls. "How the hell did you convince me to do this?!"

Smiling, I help him up. "It'll take a little while for you to get used to them." Suppressing a laugh at the decidedly pissed off look on his face, I give him a little shove in the direction of the others. He tries to stop as he would without skates on, but the move puts him off balance and his feet slide out from under him.

The fire demon looks up at me from the floor with a promise of horrible pain in his infuriated crimson eyes. "Stupid fox!!" Grinning sheepishly, I move to help him up, but he kicks at me. In avoiding the blow, I lose my own balance and fall as well.

Kuwabara starts to snicker obnoxiously. Shizaru glares at him and violently elbows her younger brother in the ribs, effectively shutting him up as he clutches the area in great pain. "Baka. You weren't much better when you first tried it." Kuwabara just groans in response.

Yukina skates over to Hiei, who is struggling to rise, and holds out a hand to him. "Here, Hiei-san. Let me help you."

The fire demon hesitates for a moment before grabbing Yukina's hand and allowing her to help him up. Then she helps him skate over to a rail, where he can hold on.

Keiko smiles at Yukina. "Where did you learn to skate so well?"

The small Koorime smiles innocently. "All Koorime children learn to skate at a young age. It's one of our favorite pastimes."

Hiei flinches minutely. No one but me seems to notice. I rise gingerly and skate over to the rail. Hiei scowls at me sourly. "Baka."

Yuusuke steps onto the roller rink. "Let's skate!" He is followed by Keiko, Kuwabara, and Shizaru. Hiei and I stare in surprise. Kuwabara is actually marginally graceful on skates.

Hiei snorts. "Figures." I grin at him.

Yukina smiles at Hiei and me. "Are you coming?"

"Hn. I suppose..."

I smile back at the Koorime. "In a little while." She smiles and skates after the others. "Gomen, Hiei. I forgot that you don't know how to skate." That earns me a growl. "Do you need some help learning?"

"I'll do it myself," the fire demon snarls. He pushes away from the rail and nearly falls. I try to steady him, but he shoves me away. And falls again. "That's it!" He starts to take off his roller skates.

"Hiei, you promised Yukina you would go skating," I point out.

Growling, he relaces the skates. "Fine! How the hell do you do this?!"

I gently pull him to his feet. "You have to relax. Don't try to take your feet off the ground like you do when you're walking. It'll just make you lose your balance." I demonstrate. "Now you try." He mimics my movements. "That's pretty good." After watching the fire demon practice for a few minutes, I indicate the rink. "You want to try it out there?"

"Hn." He skates toward the rink, his movements a bit clumsy, but getting better. I follow him. After a few times around he gets the hang of it and skates faster, putting distance between us.

I smile to myself. He's a pretty good skater already. In an hour, he'll be almost an expert.