Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Fruitcake ❯ Surprise ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Fruitcake
A Yu Yu Hakusho Christmas story
By Ibara Bara

Disclaimer: None of these characters are mine. They belong to Yoshihiro Togashi, Studio Perroit, and any other people who worked on the creation of this wonderful series.

Chapter 8: Surprise

Kurama
I wake up at about six-thirty, but I don't feel like getting up. Nor do I feel like going to sleep. Hiei is curled up in my arms, still asleep. I watch him for a while while he sleeps.

The gift. The one from Yukina. Damn! I forgot to give it to him. Oh, well. I'll just give it to him when he wakes up. After a while, my fire demon stirs. Deciding to be annoying, I pretend to be asleep, keeping one eye slightly open to watch him.

Hiei's beautiful red eyes open slowly. He stretches tiredly, then looks at me. Probably deciding (incorrectly) that I'm asleep, he moves closer to me and closes his eyes. I'm extremely tempted to drop the act, but I manage to keep some of my self control. I lie still as Hiei snuggles against my chest, trying to fall asleep. Evidently, he can't, because after a few minutes, he opens his eyes again.

Sighing, my fire demon starts to get out of bed. Grinning I grab him and haul him back onto the bed. I smile at him slyly. "I was wondering when you were going to wake up."

He growls at me irritably. "And just how long have you been awake?"

My smile grows even larger. "About twenty minutes. I was watching you sleep." He sighs digustedly. "By the way, you forgot a gift at Genkai's. I forgot about it last night in light of the fact that we were engaged in...other...activities..." I carress his chest lightly.

He jumps away from me and out of the bed. The sexy Jaganshi dresses as I watch, disappointed. "What time is it, fox?" he demands.

"About seven, love. Why?" I know that he hates it when I call him 'love.' And I enjoy his reaction. Emensely.

He growls angrily. Evidently, he's not in the mood to be messed with. Oops. Oh, well. "Why the fuck are we up this early?!"

I smile at him, making a sincere attempt to be annoying. By the look on his face, I'm succeeding. "I have to go to my parent's house."

"And when do you have to be there?" he asks suspiciously.

"Not until ten." I smirk at my fire demon suggestively. "I thought we could have some...fun before I have to leave."

"Hn," is his only response to that. I'm very disappointed. Then he changes the subject. "You said that I left something at Genkai's. What is it, fox?"

I sigh, even more disappointed by his lack of reaction, and get to my feet. "I don't know. It was under the tree." I look among the articles of clothing that are strewn around the room for my pants, find them, and take the gift from one of the pockets. "It's from Yukina," I tell him.

He looks rather startled. "Give me that." He snatches it from me, then just stands there looking at it with an undecided look on his face.

I glare at him impatiently. "Well? Open it already!!" I'm dying of curiosity.

"Boy are you impatient. What if I don't want to open it, fox? Hmmm?" I scowl at him. He's getting me back. "Oh, fine. I suppose I'll open it." With a smug look on his face, he slowly opens the gift. I have to restrain myself from going over there and opening it myself. After a few minutes, he finally finishes unwrapping it. It's a hand-made black headband with a silver embroidered dragon on the front.

I take a breath in awe at it's beauty. "Wow. She is really good at embroidery." My lover nods in agreement, and looks at the headband closely. Suddenly he gasps and drops the headband. A black tear gem falls to the floor to land beside it. "Hiei?!" I ask, alarmed. "What's wrong?!" He doesn't answer, and just backs away. I grab him and pull him close. "Hiei..?"

I don't get any answer out of him. He seems to be in shock. What could have done this to him?! I pick up the headband in one hand, while holding him tightly in the other.

Embroidered inside, in silver lettering, are the words: 'Daisuke, oniisan'.

Questions? Comments? Criticisms?
Contact Bara-chan!