Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Hard to Kill ❯ Running Away ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Renard: Yeah, time for the next chapter *looks around fearfully* So far no Yusuke…*sighs in relief* Onward Read

/blah/=thoughts, flashbacks, and in this chapter only, writing

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

The door opened, slowly, revealing a sliver of light and a shadow. With one scabbed hand, she shielded her eyes, glaring evilly at the shadow.

"As the oldest demon to the agency, I held hope that I could drain you of enough sense that you could gain power without training forever. I was proven wrong, and I now know that taking you in was a mistake." He stepped closer, his expensive leather shoes making ominous noises on the glass floor. "You've been nothing but trouble from the start, and your weakness has grown. You have never been strong enough or good enough and how we ever got off the ground using you as our guinea pig is beyond me. However, I am not here to speculate how our success was gained with you on our hands. I'm afraid my only choice now is to turn you into the ones who are seeking your capture. But not before the final deed is done."

/Walk away without a Trace/

She was dressed in a full length black dress, a black hat, black shoes and a full length black wool coat. The idea behind the black uniform was a disappearance, a distance from society with its sinful over usage of everything. She was left at the end of a walkway while the man knocked on the door. The door opened gently, and the three were silent for a moment.

"May I help you?" Kurama asked, stepping further into the door frame.

"Yes, I seem to have found something of interest to you." Kurama raised one eyebrow as the man gestured back to the girl whose head was hanging in shame. The man turned from displaying his prize. At Kurama's puzzled facial expression, the man grinned almost unnoticeably. "Don't be fooled by her simple appearance, she's a demon who will kill any human at the snap of a finger. Keep a close eye on her." He warned, gesturing nonchalantly for her to come. She was accepted into the house, and with quiet farewells, the door was shut. Kurama moved past her, walking into his kitchen.

"Would you like something to eat?" Silence. "Miss?" He tried again, stepping into the hallway where she stood staring at the ground. "Please, come in." He said, leading her to the dinning room where she sat down silently. Kurama took a seat next to her.

"Are you able to speak?" She shook her head gently. Kurama started looking around for something, drawing her attention. He finally found the object, a piece of paper and a pen, and pushed them towards the girl. She eyed them for a moment before hesitantly picking up the pen.

"Why can't you speak?" Kurama asked, his eyes falling to the paper. /I was sworn to silence under pain of death. I can not tell you anything, I am merely your prisoner now/. Kurama nodded.

"What is your name?" /Surely you know by now. Koenma never misses a step and we all know what his lackeys are like/. Kurama ignored the last comment.

"Who do you work for?" /I told you I can not tell you anything/.

"Why not?" /Being sworn to silence means more then not being able to speak/.

"No one can harm you." /I am not worried about the punishment. I was assigned to a roll which I have failed at my entire life. The least I can do is protect those who have dealt with me all this time./

"Many people's lives are at stake…" Before Kurama could finish his statement, her pen was moving furiously. /I have been trained to kill. The death which has fallen to your hands is cleansing, and the shame that is forced apon such action is a figment of the humans imaginations. My employer said that, and I live by those words. I see that you no longer look at things the way Yoko Kurama would have. I know things have changed for you, here, in this world of filth and endless self destruction, but I would have expected more Yoko's personality to spike through. You are tired of being compared to him aren't you? You wish for once you could just be one person, yourself, not the holder of a legend. Fine, I will not make any more mention of Yoko, but remember this: I do not wish to live in my past, so stop asking questions while you can. I am not limited to only killing humans/.

The pen was laid flat on the table with a gentle noise. Kurama read and reread the paper a few times, taking in each word carefully. She lowered her eyes back to the pen, deciding the consequences for saying too much.

"You may stay in the guest room tonight, and tomorrow I will take you to Spirit World." Kurama said, standing up slowly. She stood, turning to face him. There was a long pause. Suddenly, her head shot up, revealing narrowed eyes that held a dangerous glint. Before he could think, she had him frozen in place. She leaned onto the table, writing quickly. /I have said too much already at your hands. I will not stay here, nor will I allow your "ruler" to punish me. You can not confine me and if you do your end will come quick. Good bye…Shuichi./ She laid the paper down on the table and quickly slipped out the door.

She ran down the street, feeling waves of memories flashing over her with unbearable force. In a matter of minutes she had ran into the woods, and was leaning on a tree breathing heavily.

"It would have been wise to have stayed with the fox." A voice said from behind her. Her heart stopped. "You have made a stupid choice, running from the only ones who can protect you. Now it seems I will have to punish you myself. Trust me, a punishment from Koenma would have been much more desired."

"I have been taught to ignore desire." She said boldly, clamping her eyes shut waiting for the pain.

"Yes, you have. But you have taken your lessons too seriously. In this, you have failed again." She gulped, trembling now with cold and fear. "At the same tie you have not taken your lessons seriously enough. You still flee from your post, and still you can not ignore human instincts such as cold and fear. I see the way you tremble, and it almost makes me laugh." His cold hearted words stung her with more force then his punishment would bring. "I feel no shame in this, for you have brought it apon yourself. One sound from you will result in instant death."

/Warm burning fire, flickering light that woke me from a deep slumber. This was yet another raid, and I was not there to help. No, instead I was locked away; sleeping soundly until the wall of my chamber was broken, revealing to me a glimpse of the chaos beyond my solid walls. Dashing out into the night, I conjured my sword to save whoever I could, but it was too late.

So many words were said to me in that moment.

Flee

Don't come back

Wait for the right time

Come back and that will be the end

Confused, I took the first word for direction. My sword hit the ground with a thud and I was off running.

I ran for days. I knew no hunger, thirst, or fatigue. Suddenly, the throbbing need to escape faded away and I collapsed. This was to be my end, except for the young man who was too eager to care about destiny.

I was taken to his compound, and immediately brought to his office. There he explained his goal, his dream, and my mission. His parting words to me that first day still haunts me.

You have a job to do now, fail and the consequences shall be dire.

Your desire to do this is not to be considered. Desire is to be ignored

Rely only on raw instinct. Forget everything, remember only this:

The death which has fallen to your hands is cleansing, and the shame that is forced apon such action is a figment of the humans imaginations

This is the task, dirty, unwanted and dangerous. But every job must be done.

Always walk away without a trace.

Failure was of course his obsession. As he explained to me later, he had failed so many things in his life, that he could no longer except anything but perfection when he reached his ultimate triumph.

I was never good enough at what I had been sent to do. Screams were heard by neighbors, and rarely did I escape without sirens trailing behind me by at least five minutes. I left my mark on each victim, slowly being more and more important to catch. Even hundreds later, I still could not perfect the art. And I have been now reduced to this./

She slowly pulled herself to a wall, trying to pick herself up enough to sit. It had been almost two weeks and everyday became a living hell. She was being starved, allowed water only once every three days. She was beat every day as a reminder of what she had done. Even flinching caused a more violent reaction from her employer, who was in charge of her punishment. Breathing shallowly, she allowed a single tear to fall as she forced her story to run through her head.

"Please, kill me."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Renard: Well there ya go, Kurama was ooc…but I'm working on that. Soooooooooooo PLEASE REVIEW! *gets down on hands and knees and begs pathetically*

Top of Form

Bottom of Form