Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Harnessing Love and Power ❯ The Student Exchange Boy ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Kitsune ran through the crowded airport with her cousin, Taka, not far behind her. She had jet black hair and strange, lavender eyes that changed from brown to lavender when she turned 15, just last year. She wore a red sleeveless shirt that showed some curves and black slacks that hugged her hips. Taka, her 18-year-old cousin, had jet black hair and brown eyes. He wore a baggy yellow shirt and blue jeans. Taka panted and yelled "Kitsune! Wait up! I'm not 16 anymore, you know!"

Kitsune grinned, kept running, and said "You're not old. You just grew too lazy to run anymore. Hurry! The student exchange guy will be waiting and we're already late!"

Kitsune ran until she reached the place where the passengers of the plane from Japan disembarked. Taka reached her side and asked between gasps "How do we know which one is him?"

Kitsune sighed and her reply was "They gave me some details about him. He has flaming red hair and emerald green eyes."

Taka looked around the plastic seats and found the person they were looking for. Fortunately, he was the only one with flaming red hair which made him easy to spot. Kitsune walked towards him, at Taka's heels. When she saw him, she froze and thought rushed through her mind. He had flaming red hair, like fire, and emerald green eyes, like a serene forest. He was slim but had an athletic build. His gentle features complimented his handsomeness greatly when he smiled. Kitsune stood at Taka's side and said "Gomen ne... We were running a bit late. I hope we didn't make you wait long. This is my cousin Taka and my name is Kitsune. I believe your name is Shuuichi Minamino. Am I correct?"

He stood up and said "Hai, I am Shuuichi Minamino. Nice to meet you. I hope my stay here is not a burden to you."

Kitsune put her left hand behind her head and waved her other head in front of her as she said "Oh, it's alright. It has been a bit lonely around here anyway. I hope you enjoy your stay here."

Shuuichi bowed in thanks and said "Arigatou."

Taka gestured for them to follow him and said "Come on. We'll pick up your bags before we leave. This way."

Kitsune gently gripped his arm and led him to the baggage pick up. She talked to him as Taka waited for Shuuichi's luggage. "So you're from Japan?" she half stated and half questioned.

Shuuichi felt like he was being watched but didn't let it show when he said "Yes. It's nice there. Have you ever been to Tokyo?"

"No, but I've always wanted to, ever since I was little. I really want to see Tokyo Tower up close."

Kitsune kept on ranting about her dreams of going to Tokyo. This gave Shuuichi a chance to sense any demons around. He concentrated his energy outward, searching for any youkai youki. He smiled inwardly when he felt a certain youkai with a Jagan Eye around the area. The youkai used telepathy to talk with Shuuichi in his mind and said "So you finally found out that I followed you, fox."

Shuuichi smirked and thought "I've been a bit preoccupied. Please don't ruin this for me, Hiei. I've always wanted to go to America via the Student Exchange Program."

"Hn... Fine, fox, ruin my fun... I'm staying anyway... I want to see how... America is different from your country..."

Shuichi shrugged and thought "Do what you want, Hiei, just don't get in trouble or anything. And keep close. This country is big... We wouldn't want you getting lost, do we?"

Hiei scowled and thought back "Hn... I'll find my way around here in no time at all."

"Keep in mind that this country is about 8 or 9 times larger than Japan. Be careful."

"Hn... I'll make sure I'm in a five mile radius of you... Does that make you happy?"

"Yes... Now, follow me as Kitsune brings me to her home."

"Fine, fox..."

~*~*~*~*~*~*

Taka and Kitsune brought Shuuichi to their car and put his bags in the back as he walked into the back seat. Little did they know, Hiei was sitting in the back with Shuuichi while using his Jagan Eye to shield himself from ningen eyes. The ride went smoothly, Taka was pointing out some stores, parks, and other places while Kitsune was reading a book about mythology. Taka pulled up into a small parking lot near an apartment building located in a really nice neighborhood. The two cousins took Shuuichi's bags and brought him up to a large apartment on the 5th floor. Taka opened the door to reveal a nice looking apartment with decent furniture. Shuuichi walked in and said "This is a nice place you have. Where are your parents?"

Kitsune looked at the ground and said "I honestly don't know..."

Shuuichi looked at her sympathetically and said "I'm sorry..."

She immediately cheered up and said "It's alright. Now, I'll show you to your room."

The girl named fox demon took the bags from her cousin and led the foreigner to his room. It was neat. It had a single bed, a desk, a dresser, and a closet on the other side of the room. She put his bags next to the door and said "Make yourself at home. And if you ever need anything, ask Taka or myself. My room is directly across the hall and Taka's room is beside mine..." as she closed the door without a sound.

Shuuichi opened the curtains to find Hiei standing in a tree outside of the window. He opened the window and let the fire apparition in. The short youkai walked in and nodded his thanks as he looked the room over. Shuuichi began to unpack his belongings when Hiei said "Any food in there, fox? I'm hungry from the journey."

Shuuichi sighed and said "No, Hiei. We aren't allowed to bring food onto an airplane."

"Hn... Then I'll go and steal my meal..."

The fire apparition was gone before Shuuichi could turn around and stop him. He shrugged and continued to unpack his things when Kitsune knocked on his door. He opened the door and she said "I hope I'm not interrupting but dinner is ready."

Shuuichi nodded and followed her to the kitchen/dining room. Shuuichi ate in silence. Kitsune broke the silence when she said "So... Shuuichi, what is it like to live in Japan?"

"It's quiet but why ask me? I've lived there all my life, nothing there isn't exciting to me anymore."

"I see..."

They all finished dinner and Kitsune cleaned up the table. Shuuichi offered to help but she insisted that he finish his unpacking. When Shuuichi went into his room and Taka went to his, Kitsune fixed the table with several things in her mind bothering her. She knew that Shuuichi was part youkai but how can she tell him about her past? Should she tell him about her past? Could he be the one she's been looking for? What is he doing in Ningenkai if he is a youkai?

These thoughts ran through her mind as she walked to her room. Her room was a light shade of red and some of her furniture was all black. Her room consisted of a bed, desk, computer, dresser, and closet. She laid back in her bad and tried to sort things out in her mixed up mind. She sat right back up when she heard something tap on her window. She opened the curtain and found a youkai with a ningen appearance; he was an inch taller than her. He had spiky jet black hair with white highlights in an outburst. His eyes were a blood red that made chills go up her spine. He wore black clothes and a cloak over them. He tapped the window impatiently when he saw her staring at him. Kitsune shook off her shock and opened the window. He was about to jump in but she blocked him. He glared at her and said "Let me in."

Kitsune glared back and said "I don't know who you are and what you are doing outside of my window. Why should I let you in?"

"I'm Kurama's-I mean Shuuichi's friend. His window is locked and he won't let me in. Now may I come in?"

"Your name first."

"Hiei..."

"Good. I'm Kitsune. If you don't know yet, Shuuichi will be staying with us for about a year. If you want, I'll get the other guest room ready for you."

Hiei jumped in her room and said "No thanks... I sleep in the trees..."

Kitsune shrugged and said "Suit your self."

Hiei sat at her window sill as she continued to lie in her bed, thinking. Her hands tucked behind her head and her knee propped up on top of the other. There was an uncomfortable silence until she spoke. "Hiei?" she asked.

"Yeah?"

"You're not human are you?"

This question made him freeze with shock. He stared at her with mere amazement and finally answered with "How did you know, ningen?"

"What if I told you I wasn't a ningen?"

This made him freeze again. Thoughts ran through Hiei's mind such as "She isn't a ningen? Then how come I can't feel her spirit energy? She has to be a ningen."

Hiei continued to stare at her and she sat up. She looked at him with eyes that shown no emotion and said "I'm ¾ youkai, Hiei. You didn't sense that?"

"No... If you're a youkai, then why are you in Ningenkai?"

"Must I tell the story? It's fairly long..."

"I'm curious..."

"Fine... My father was a full blooded fire demon and my mother was half fox demon and half ningen. My father was a wielder of a great power. It is like a great flame burning inside of him. This power can destroy Ningenkai and all ningens, if used correctly. Many demon lords are after this power. When my father died, the power began to seek a new wielder. Who better to wield the power than the offspring of the previous? I, then, held the power within me. My mother, in fear of my capture, made me live the life of a ningen girl, away from all those power-hungry demons. Her efforts were in vain because of several rules to this power. Until I have reached a certain age, this power will be safe from anything. But when I have reached that age, the power can be taken from my body if the correct ritual is performed. A holocaust sacrifice is required for the ritual to work. And that sacrifice is... the one the wielder loves the most. That is why my mother hid me and herself, so neither of us would have to endure that painful ritual. I'm am very close to that fateful day when I reach the age in which most of the defenses of the power goes down."

"Hn... Why tell me all this?"

"Because you are very quiet and I can tell that you won't tell anybody."

The two continued to sit in silence when Kitsune said "Hiei... There is something else I need to et go and it can't be in writing..."