Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Harnessing Love and Power ❯ The Painful Truth ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
"Hn... You know as much as I that I won't tell anyone..." he said.

"My heart, Hiei, it aches..." Kitsune replied.

"Why"

"All my life I've been lonely in this world full of ningens. All my life I've as if I'm out of place here. My heart aches because I need..."

Kitsune stopped talking when an overwhelming pain pierced her heart. She writhed in pain, clutching her heart, trying to diminish it. Hiei realized what was happening and mentally called for Shuuichi to hurry here. Kitsune shut her eyes and screamed. Uncontrollable tears streamed down her cheeks. She opened her left eye and found Hiei standing over her, pure panic in his eyes. Ignoring the pain as best she can, she held out a shaking hand to him and said "Hiei... it hurts..."

He took her hand comfortingly and smiled for her. Taka and Shuuichi burst into the room and Hiei explained. By the time Taka had soaked everything in, Kitsune had already fainted.

~*~*~*~*~*~*Kitsune's Dream~*~*~*~*~*~*

Kitsune was in her favorite place in all of Ningenkai, a beautiful field in the middle of nowhere. Her father used to train her there and teach her how to use her fire power. She loved it here. It was the only place where she felt like she belonged. She looked around her haven and saw her father in the middle of the field. He was smiling at her, the first time she saw him smile in years. He held out his arms, waiting for his daughter's embrace. She ran into his arms and he held her, his only daughter, close. She looked up at him and asked "Otou-san?"

He looked down at her with worry in his eyes and said "The pain you just felt, Kitsune, is the sign of the sacred power's defenses going down. If you're not careful, the ritual can be performed and Ningenkai is in danger."

"I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if that ever happened. I swear to you, otou-san, that I will harness this power and use it for myself."

"Good. Now when you wake up, you heart might still hurt. Don't mind it. You're strong enough to accept the pain. Until next time, daughter.

"Goodbye, otou-san."

~*~*~*~*~*~*Out of Dream~*~*~*~*~*~*

Kitsune woke up in the same room, staring at the same ceiling, and lying in the same bed as before. Hiei sat at the window sill, watching her with worried eyes. Kitsune slowly began to sit up but collapsed back in the bed when she felt a shot of pain in her heart. She screamed "Ah... Hiei... it hurts..."

Hiei stood up and ran for the door. He called for Taka and Shuuichi. They ran in and Shuuichi gave her some pain-killing herbs. When the pain subsided, she turned to Taka and asked "Did you tell Shuuichi?"

Her cousin nodded and she nodded back. She looked at Shuuichi and said "I'm sorry that I didn't tell you earlier. In my condition, you need to be careful on who you trust."

He smiled at her and replied with "It's alright, I know how it is. And please, call me Kurama."

Kitsune smiled back but her face became stern as she turned back to Taka. Taka, as if he knew what she was going to say, frowned. He nodded at her once, as if telling her to talk to Kurama and Hiei about it. She sighed and began to explain. "I trust Taka has told you about the overwhelming power that resides within me..."

Kurama nodded and she continued "This power has built-in seals and protections. Until I reach a certain age, the seals will work at full power. This pain in my heart is a sign that most of the seals have fallen. The power is now vulnerable to the exorcism ritual. I need to harness the power before any demons find me..."

~*~*~*~*~*~*