Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Hearts Held Captive ❯ These Flames...Enslaved ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hearts Held Captive

 

Chapter One:  These Flames…Enslaved….

 

*Standard Disclaimer* Nope.  I do not own Yu Yu Hakusho.  Ah, but the evil Yuka and Tsutamae are indeed mine.  Perhaps we could have a trade yes?  *winkedy wink wink wink*     ^_~   If only it were that simple…

 

Many nights he would fall into a deep sleep, dreaming, always dreaming, but never dreaming dreams.  Nightmares plagued his unconscious hours, pulling him apart, almost to the brink of non-existence before he awoke.  In his nightmares, or the same recurring one, he would dream of what he should have done, of what he could have done to save his mother and himself from this torture they were now subject to.

         &nb sp; 

         &nb sp;  He remembered.  It was night, a true night without the celestial bodies of light which gave slight relief from the darkness.  He parked his car on the curb, grabbing the grocery bags and opened the front door of the house, not expecting anything but his mother's smiling face.  He didn't sense anything as he entered his home.  Opening the white wooden door, he routinely wiped his shoes on the welcome mat.  He raised his eyes to find a scene he had not anticipated.

 

         &nb sp;  In front of him stood his mother, her eyes shut tight in desperation for this invasion to not be real, and behind her stood another woman.  Her face was contorted into a malicious grin and she raised an eyebrow in interest when her eyes fell on his face.  She licked her lips and he stared back in shock.  Just as he regained a sense of the situation and prepared to make his move, hands from behind grabbed him, piercing his skin with a needle.  The effect of the drug was almost instantaneous.  As his eyelids weighed heavier, he took his last glance at his life, a soft and bitter glow that was steadily fading...  In the end, the only thing he really saw was that woman's enveloping gaze sending him deeper into darkness.  The last thing he heard was his human name falling from his mother's lips.

 

"Shuichi…"  It was a strained breath, a gasp that she cried out as they both tried to hold on to their world, their world of light, second chances, of choice, but in the end they couldn't.  They no longer belonged to the world that others knew, but were now slaves to a true and endless night.

 

         &nb sp; 

========================================================= ======

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^

 

 

         &nb sp; 

         &nb sp;  The cells were closed, each one locked securely to ensure no breakouts, but of course there were other types of locks they had on the imprisoned.  Those were much more effective, and much more sinister.  She slinked through the darkness, just an unnoticed shadow that passed without incident.  She passed by her favorite cell, pausing to look at its sleeping inhabitant.  His deep red hair spilled across the pillow in grand and elegant strokes.  It made her shudder with sweet apprehension.

 

         &nb sp;  One day Kurama…one day you will succumb.

 

         &nb sp;  She trailed her fingers across the bars briefly, almost laughing at their lack of necessity for they were not the things that kept that young man caged.  It was much more. She continued on her way, turning down a dark and unlit hallway, barely visible.  She ran a confident hand across the stones on the left wall, moving it in strange patterns until the floor beneath her started to move and began to sink lower into a hidden chamber.      

 

Before she could even speak a voice so powerful that it seemed to chain its victims to the floor drifted through.  "Yuka, how is our little pet project?"

 

         &nb sp;  "Oh, he's doing just as fine as ever.  You should have seen his last kill.  It was absolutely delicious.  He looked breath taking covered in all of that blood, like some sort of dark angel…or holy devil.  Take your pick."  She grinned as she examined the red stains beneath her nails.  "He got a little rowdy though."  She added nonchalantly as her eyes moved slowly to examine her master's reaction.

 

         &nb sp;  Tsutamae turned his head in slight disbelief.  "I take it you were the reason for it?"  He smirked from beneath the concealment of his mask when she nodded gleefully. 

 

         &nb sp;  The candles burned, the flames dancing, always chained to the wick as the wax dripped lower and lower.  Kurama was one of the many flames that Tsutamae manipulated; he would never escape, not without losing his life and those attached to it. 

 

         &nb sp;  "So, his next kill, it's in Rekai correct?  The ferry girl?"  Yuka raised her brow in interest.  "Why kill a useless little spirit, someone so insignificant?  So she gives the spirit detectives their missions, if we kill her, Koenma will just find someone else.  It's a simple task.  Her death will have no relevance, and her assassination will be no challenge.  What are you planning?"

 

         &nb sp;  "Oh dear Yuka, I'm afraid not even your mind could comprehend while it's all in such an early stage now."  He folded his hands over each other and his eyes flickered darkly.  "But believe me, this girl has the potential to become a major danger to us.  Her death will just be another door shut to those who seek to stop us."

 

 

========================================================= ======

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^

 

 

 

"Oh blast."  She muttered.  A lone sheet floated to the ground from the stack of paperwork she was carrying to the prince's office.  It swayed back and forth in the air, slowly losing altitude.  The girl inched forward, as the burden she carried leaned towards her body safely.  Balancing it, she reached out her left hand to snatch the escapee, but just as she grabbed it, the tower of papers moved forward, toppling down the many flights of stairs she was passing by. 

 

She sighed in agitation, but looked gratefully at the one piece of paper she held in her hand.  "Well, at least I have you.  That's one less paper I have to pick up."  She wiped her forehead as she thought of the work ahead of her when someone popped his head in from around the corner.

 

"Hey Botan!"  He shouted, grinning in amusement as she dropped the paper she had clutched in her hand out of shock.  "What a war zone.  Are you responsible for this mess?" 

 

She glared angrily at him from the corner of her eye.  Bending down to snatch up the fallen paper viciously she stepped on a rather large group of papers as slid down the stairwell, feet first, her bottom taking the blows from every step before she coasted to a stop.  "Oh this is just perfect."  She spoke sarcastically as she lay on the bottom of the first brief flight of stairs. 

 

"Is something wrong?  You seem kind of uptight.  I mean, I know the papers are kind of…everywhere, but it seems like something else is bugging you."  He stared rather concernedly at her, trying to figure out his friend's troubles.

 

Her body felt like it lay in shambles, she was fatigued and she hadn't been able to sleep for a week and a half now.  But her mind was the most uneasy.  "It's just-it's just…"  She began to rant, "All of the work lately, it's just been piling up.  I can't sleep and I spilled coffee all over my only dress today, the one I was supposed to wear to Koenma's part tonight.  His birthday party is tonight!  I haven't even gotten him a present yet.  What could I get the prince of Rekai?  And the worst part is-"She stopped short, her brain finally kicking into gear to stop her from making a humiliating mistake. 

 

Yusuke carefully made his way down the steps, trying this best to avoid the many random papers that had settled there.  He grabbed her hand and helped her up.  "You were just about to tell me what the worst part was."  He reminded her kindly and almost jokingly.

 

"Oh…it's um, I…forgot to brush my teeth this morning!  See, I'm such a wreck."  She started to laugh loudly at herself, seemingly maniacal to the young spirit detective, who was trying to take inconspicuous, yet large steps away from the outspoken hygienically challenged ferry girl.

 

"Okay, no offense, but that's the last time I ask a girl about her problems, when there's no one else around to help.  Plus, that was just getting a little too personal.  I'll tell Keiko to talk to you later tonight, she's good at um, those types of things."  He looked around and gathered some papers in a pile that was much less than neat and sped away.  "Later Botan!"  He waved absentmindedly as he disappeared from sight. 

 

         &nb sp;  She looked away with a light smile on her face that faded quickly.  It was as if the expression had never crossed her face in the first place.  She lined up the papers in the messy stack that Yusuke had pushed together as he made his escape from the enveloping problems of a 'chick'.  He got more than enough of that from his girlfriend Keiko.

 

         &nb sp;  'The worst part is' she thought sadly, 'the worst part is I saw Koenma and Ayame holding hands this morning, and now I know for sure what I have always known.  I'm just a silly little fool.'

 

 

========================================================= ======

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^

 

 

         &nb sp;  He rose in darkness, though he wouldn't have minded a few soft streaks of light to filter through the window that wasn't there in that shabby little cell.  There was a presence just outside the bars of his temporary room.  Another young man, short of stature stood there waiting with an irritated air that surrounded him. 

 

         &nb sp;  "Hello.  Nice morning is it not?"  Kurama jested rather bitterly, he looked at the windowless wall in the cell and then back at his visitor.

 

         &nb sp;  "It might be a nice morning for some, but we don't get mornings anymore remember?  Stop being so irrational, that's what got you into this dump in the first place."  He chided, referring to Kurama's shabby accommodations.  You're lucky they're letting you see your mother."

 

         &nb sp;  "Well, if I were really lucky I wouldn't be in this particular predicament."

 

         &nb sp;  "Fate's cruel."

 

         &nb sp;  Kurama changed the subject as he noticed the door was still locked, and the keys were hanging in other's hand.  "Are you going to let me out now?  Or did you just come for the optimistic conversation?"

 

         &nb sp;  "Come now fox.  You're a master thief; surely these pitiful locks are not enough to keep you behind these flimsy bars?"  He did not miss the look of aggravation on the red head's face.  "But then again I assume you aren't in a rebellious mood anymore."  He took the key and pushed it into the lock, turning it clockwise to unlock the door.  "Don't lose the fight in you.  It would break my heart if things you ceased to stir things up around here."

 

         &nb sp;  "So you've lost your fight Hiei?"  Kurama inquired challengingly.

         &nb sp; 

         &nb sp;  He smirked graciously, "No, I just possess the tact of knowing when to fight and when to stand down.  I have someone to care for also you know.  We all do."

 

         &nb sp;  Kurama's hand briefly shifted over the handle of his cell's door.  He smiled at Hiei as he walked out to left of him.  "Check mate.  Today the game goes to you."  He kept going, not looking back.

 

         &nb sp;  Hiei watched his companion in captivity stroll quickly down the hall.  "If only that were truly so."  He whispered, "Then we'd all be out of this hell hole."  His eyes narrowed as he heard footsteps falling confidently from around the corner.  "He's going to see his mother.  I'd advise you to leave him be Yuka."

 

         &nb sp;  Tsutamae's most trusted servant just grinned with malevolence.  "Oh," She pouted as she moved closer to him, her long sharp nails moving slowly up his chest.  "You little Forbidden Child, it seems you have forgotten your place."  Her index finger settled on his jugular vein, yet Hiei did not tremble, his eyes stayed locked on hers in an unflinching stare, even when he applied pressure, making her nail cut slightly into his skin.  "Remember this you disgusting excuse for a creature, no one but Tsutamae may tell me what to do." 

 

         &nb sp;  Hiei could feel her nail slicing his skin, but he paid no attention.  Instead he narrowed his eyes, throwing Yuka an arrogant smirk.  "Well, if I'm just a disgusting excuse for a creature, I have yet to figure out what pathetic being you are.  Perhaps a lap dog or maybe just soon to be discarded trash.  I do know one thing; I anxiously wait for the day when I may take out the garbage."   His eyes were alight with fire.  Flames of desire were burning in his eyes, the desire for revenge. 

 

         &nb sp;  Yuka almost took a step back, but thought better of it, knowing that she had to maintain control.  "Hmm…I wonder how your sister is doing.  Well that probably won't matter soon because her condition may change drastically yes?  Too bad her brother is subject to such careless outbursts.  She could have such a better life."  She laughed silently as she watched his mouth close abruptly, but even so the fire kept burning.  "Be on your way.  There will be a task for you to carry out later tonight.  Rest up and shut up."

 

         &nb sp;  Down several other dark corridors Kurama was closing in on his destination, having no idea of Yuka's search for him.  His thoughts were on his mother, as they were much of the time.  Several guards stood in front of the gate and with them stood Tsutamae, in all his morbid splendor.  With a graceful hand he motioned for Kurama to hurry and come closer.  His face was still hidden behind that ever present mask, but his vibrant grey eyes pierced through considerably. 

 

         &nb sp;  Kurama was late, yes that much he knew, but he kept at his slow and easy pace, refusing to give his tormentor the satisfaction of seeing him scramble like an obedient animal to its master.  "I hope my mother is faring well."  Kurama remarked pointedly.

 

         &nb sp;  "Her health relies solely on your performance, so please let us not blame other innocent bystanders."  He bowed in mock humbleness, his black silk kimono flowing around him eloquently. 

 

         &nb sp;  "By no means have you ever been an innocent bystander."  The red head lashed out impatiently.  His temper was starting to rise; he hated these brief chats with a passion, almost more than he hated Tsutamae himself. 

 

         &nb sp;  There was surely a satirical smile hidden from beneath his mask, his eyes gave it away graciously, and he made no attempt to conceal it.  "Please, don't flatter me; I was just trying to be modest."  He raised his hands to part the guards who were standing in front of a solid metal gate which was embedded directly into the wall.  He placed his hands on the cold metal door, moving them in patterns and chanting some foreign words at different moments, then his hands glowed briefly, a golden aura surrounding them, and the door began to slide open slowly. 

 

         &nb sp;  Kurama started to move forwards towards the opening, when Tsutamae's hand delayed him.  Kurama looked at him in loathing.  "My mother is waiting for me."  He stated simply. 

 

         &nb sp;  "As I will be when you're finished with your visit Kurama.  Do not take too long, for tonight there will be a job for you to complete.  Make sure you tell Shiori won't you?"  His eyes were drunk with a giddy sense of cruelty.  He turned, and walked away, back into the shadows, away from the torches the guards held as they kept vigilant around the door. 

 

         &nb sp;  Kurama's hands were curled into fists as he walked inside, he tried his best to keep from charging after him, pushing him into a corner and tearing him apart limb from limb, but that wasn't possible.  When he was younger in maturity and control, he attempted such an act and it did not prove successful or helpful.  He had the scars to show it.  But those thoughts slowly vanished from his mind as his mother came into view.  The door behind him closed, but she didn't seem to notice, as usual. 

 

         &nb sp;  "Shuichi, did you have a good time at school today?"  She asked as she sat down on a chair, she fanned herself absent-mindedly as she watched him nod a 'yes'.  "It's so hot in here.  I was baking earlier and the heat hasn't left yet.  Open the window won't you please?" 

 

         &nb sp;  "Yes Mother."  He said as his eyes watched her pityingly.  There were no windows anywhere in Tsutamae's hideaway.  None.  But even so, he went to the far wall where the window in their house would have been and motioned as if he was letting the fresh air inside. 

 

         &nb sp;  "Shuichi, are you feeling okay?  You act stranger and stranger every time you come home from school.  Your eyes look so sad.  I know life can be overwhelming, but I'll always be here for you."  She stood up from her chair and hugged him.  "You're a good son Shuichi.  I'm proud."

 

         &nb sp;  Those words, almost made him want to shatter.  "Thank you Mother.  I love you."  He choked out as he hugged her back.  She had no idea at all.  She'd walk around this little room and think she was home.  She'd open a door that wasn't there and take a walk, go to the supermarket, see a movie.  Maybe it was better this way, with her under a spell.  But even so, it hurt him and inside he knew it hurt her.

 

 

 

 

*Author's Note* 

 

Hey,

 

I tried to make this chapter pretty long, but it also turned out to be pretty sadistic, evil, and depressing.  Yeah, this thing is gonna be pretty angsty, so if you're looking for sunshine and rainbows you might wanna stay away or have me email you if I ever write such a chapter for this fic.  But yeah, all in all, I think it turned out pretty well.  Yes, poor Shiori.  I'll go more into detail with her situation later.  And for all those Kurama/Botan lovers out there, it is a K+B, so don't get all huffy just yet, for all those Koenma/Ayame fans, stay happy, and for all those Koenma/Botan fans….well, I'm sorry but I really don't like this pairing very much and it's not gonna happen in this story. 

 

Yeah, so that's my spill for now.  Thanks for reading!  I'll try to update soon because I love you and I love this story!   ^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^

 

 

Reika

 

         &nb sp;