Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Heaven or Hell ❯ Chapter 14

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

In this story Reikai is Heaven and Makai is Hell, Kurama is hikari no tenchi of Reikai and Hiei is a kuro no tenchi of Makai. When the two met they form a love so forbidden it could cost them their lives.

Title: Heaven or Hell

Author: Koritsune Dragonrider

Rating: PG (rating may change)

Disclaimers: Does it look like I own them?

Warnings: AU (I love AU's) Yaoi (I love yaois!) K/H (Kurama and Hiei 4- ever!)

Chapter XIV

Kurama was in a state of panic. He had to marry Karasu the next morning! He can't, he won't! he loves Hiei and nothing's going to stop him from loving that demon angel, especially his close minded father and a creepy angel who wasn't supposed to be in the Reikai.

Kurama paced his room as Shizuru and Kuwabara watched him, Kurama trying to think

of a way out of the marriage and a way out of Reikai. You suggested flying but the skies were patrolled. You suggested walking but the streets were guarded. You didn't know what to do.

"Okay, how about if we knock out a guard and sneak away?" he suggested and Shizuru shook her head.

"There are more guards," she said. "Kurama, I'm afraid you don't have a choice. Maybe you can be with Hiei in Ningenkai."

"I hope so. But I'm not going down with out a fight! I'm going to talk to Father." And with that he walked out the room. Kuwabara and Shizuru looked at each other and were worried about the "talk" Kurama was going to have with Koenma.

Kurama flew through the hall, flying over other angel's heads and dodging those that were flying too to reach his father's quarters. It was near morning and knew his father had retired to his room to plan the next defense against Makai. Koenma looked up when Kurama threw open the double doors and landed with a heavy thump on the floor.

"Why did you do it?" yelled Kurama.

"Do what," asked Koenma and Kurama growled.

"Set he marriage for this morning!" yelled Kurama slamming his hands on Koenma's

desk. "You have no right to do that! I don't love him!"

"It doesn't matter now," said Koenma. "I'm just thinking about your best interests."

"To hell with my best interest! I'm not gonna marry that freak! He shouldn't be on this plane anyway! How he got here is beyond me since you manage the transportation papers of Reikai but I'd rather go to hell then marry him!"

"Kurama, you have no say in the matter," said Koenma as he stamped another paper and placed in the outgoing pile. Kurama growled and swept the piles off the desk, his wings flaring to their full length as he let his anger control him.

"I'm not gonna marry him! That's that!" And he prepared to fly out the room when a guard flew in suddenly and landed with a crash in the room. Kurama and Koenma ran to his side as the guard babbled his message in no coherent words.

"Calm down, solder!" yelled Koenma and the angel stopped it's babbling. "What's happening?"

"The Makai . . ." stammered the soldier. "The Makai . . ."

"The what?" asked Kurama. "Doushita?"

"The Makai!" yelled the soldier. "It's assembled its whole army! It's the finale attack!"

Hiei set the chest plate on his chest and abdomen and checked to see if it was secure. He couldn't believe he was doing this. He was going to lead his father's army toward the Reikai and kill the one he loves. He didn't know if he could do it. If he followed his heart and spared Kurama then he would betray his kingdom, but if he killed Kurama, Hiei would be betraying him. He didn't know what to do.

He looked up when he saw Yukina walk into his bedroom with his leg and arm bands. How a person was supposed to fly he didn't know, but he flew just as well with them as he did without. And fought even better. Taking the armor from his sister he placed them in their proper places and looked at himself in the rough mirror. He didn't like the way her looked. He looked like a grotesque cross between a gargoyle and a ogre, with the helmet. Scuffing he threw it to the ground and started taking off the armor.

"No armor?" asked Yukina.

"Don't need it," he said taking off the armlets and leg caps. "I fly faster then those wannabe's out there."

"I thought you might want this, try and hide it somewhere." She handed him a red rose and he took it, staring at it suspiciously. He looked back at her, silently asking where she got it.

"Kurama gave it to me," she said. "The last time we met. He said it was a love's favor. It was for luck. He also said to give it to you when the going gets rough, how that redhead angel knew I don't know."

"You know what I've been assigned to do!" he yelled and threw the rose on the bed. She sighed and picked it up.

"The way I see it," she said, "You have two options." He reached in her kimono and pulled out the knife Yomi gave Hiei. "You can kill Kurama and prove to every one that you really are a demon." She held the knife toward him. "Or," she held out the rose, "you can follow what you believe is right. I'm letting you choose."

She set the items on his bed and she turned to leave, but she stopped at the doorway to look at her brother.

"You know, Yomi was right," she said. "You can't fight who you are." And she left, leaving Hiei to his own thoughts.

Kurama ran down the hall as soldiers and servants flew or ran around him. How could this happen? He stayed long enough to hear that the Makai was attacking the palace, and Hiei was leading them! Hiei couldn't! He wouldn't! Hiei promised not to hurt anyone when the war started. How could he do this? How could he betray Kurama?!

He threw open Kuwabara's door and saw his bodyguard and friend strap on his armor. Shizuru was there holding the reddish brown haired angel's sword and was watching him get ready. They both looked up when Kurama opened the door.

"Kuwabara . . ." he said, silently asking what his friend was doing.

"Koenma's making me," he said. "I'm sorry, but I don't have a choice."

"You do have a choice, Kazuma," he said. "Don't let other's rule your life."

"But I'm loyal to Reikai. I have to do what I have to, to keep it safe."

"What about our friendship, Kuwabara. Will you throw it away?"

Shizuru and Kuwabara looked at their friend and saw that he really didn't want this to happen, to meet the last battle without a friend. But then he didn't want this to happen in the first place. He just wanted to be with Hiei and live out his spiritual life with him, and maybe after. He didn't know that this would happen, that a war would start because of this. His eyes started to tear up at the thought of losing his friends.

"Hey, Kurama," said Shizuru and placed a hand on his shoulder. "We knew you didn't want this. You just wanted to love someone, and that's perfectly fine."

"Not to the others," said Kurama wiping his eyes. "I'm too weak. I'm not as strong as Youko was."

"No," said Shizuru, "You're stronger." And they left to get ready for the battle.

Hiei stood at the edge of the Makai border and watched as the sun began to rise. It was a small sliver and won't become a full sunrise for a few more hours. He watched as the sun turned a red then blue. He didn't know if he was going to do it, kill Kurama. He didn't know if he could fight what he was or find out who he was. What, who, is he, anyway? Is he a demon like he was born, or Kurama of Reikai's lover? He didn't know, and he had mere seconds to figure it out.

He watched at the Reikai army moved closer, Koenma in the lead. Yomi and Koenma glared at each other as the two armies stared off at each other. The feelings between both armies were intense: fear, hate, aggravation were strongest. Hiei could almost taste them, a bitter, placid taste to the mouth. He had come to be familiar with over the hundreds of years of battle, it this time it was so strong that it nearly made him gag.

What was he to do?

Kurama looked out the window and saw in the distance the armies ready for battle, afraid of what will happen when the battle started. Will Reikai win? Will Makai win? Will Hiei survive? He didn't know, all he could do was sit and wait. He was no fighter, but at times he wished that he was out there, fighting for the end of the oppression of the war.

But he couldn't stand out! He couldn't stay there and watch as his friends got killed. He had to do something about it! He had to stop it!

Throwing open his window he spread his wings to their full length and flew as fast as he could, catching the nearest slip stream toward the battle.

Yukina sighed as she watched the fight get antagonizing close near the medical tent. Her brother was out there, and her boyfriend. Each on different sides, fighting for a different cause.

She couldn't stand it! Watching her friends fight one another. Through it is in her blood to be excited about war and carnage, she couldn't stand this fight, couldn't stand what the result might be, for she felt it would be bad. She had to see the outcome

Dropping the bandages in her hands she flew toward the battle field.

Hiei looked up and down the rows of demons at his command. He could command them to live or die if he wanted too. He could tell them to dance on one foot on a table if he wanted too! Would he really tell them to fight to their deaths for an age old dream that wasn't even his? What was his dream? Why did he continue fighting? He had lost that answer a long time ago and was now searching for it.

The sun has risen, it was time. Hiei drew his sword and raised it into the air. Immediately swords were drawn, arrows were strung, and spears were raised on each side. Hiei looked down the row of demons again and his wings shuddered with anticipation of the oncoming battle. But his heart ached of a different pain. He didn't know if he was going live or die on this day.

"Dekiagari!" he yelled and immediately the soldier's weapons were raised. He looked down again to see that they were in position and dropped his sword arm, yelling "Shuurai!"

A volley of arrows and spears flew toward the opposing army.

Kurama's flying came to a halt when he saw both armies charge at each other. He was too late! They've already started! He wasn't fast enough. After years of flying he wasn't fast enough! He was too late to stop the fight!

`But not the war,' he thought. `With luck, I can stop the war!'

With a burst of speed he flew as fast as he could toward the battle.

Hiei fought off three soldiers at once, blocking with his sword and swinging with another he'd found. Cutting one angel open in the stomach, he moved quickly to the other two. He blocked their simultaneous attack by blocking his swords and threw them away. He ducked under their return charge and stuck them with the swords, quickly pulling them out before they hit the ground. Turning around he came face to face with Kuwabara.

The reddish brown haired raised his single sword in a guard position and faced his friend, a look of fear and guilt on his face. Hiei didn't show it, but he felt the same. This was his friend, his sister's boyfriend. He couldn't fight him, he would win anyway. But it wasn't because of that. He couldn't fight Kuwabara, because he'd come to see him as an ally, and he knew Kuwabara felt the same. Lowering his swords, he nodded slightly to the angel. Kuwabara, taking the message, flew off.

Hiei sensed someone behind him and blocked in time to stop a large sword from coming down on his head. He swung his other sword but the soldier kicked it out of his hands, making it fall to the ground, point down. Hiei looked up to find his attacker to be Karasu, his long black hair flying around his face with loath and anger.

Hiei screamed as he felt the bite of a sharp object in his arm. Where did that come from? He didn't see it coming. He cradled his arm against his chest as he glared at Karasu, who held a bloody dagger in his hand.

"You stole him from me," growled the black haired angel. "I had him and you stole him!"

"I stole nothing!" yelled Hiei and swung with his sword. Karasu flew out of the way and growled at the petit demon.

"I was this close!" yelled Karasu. "We were to be married today till you came!"

"My blessings," hissed Hiei and swung again. Karasu blocked with his dagger and swung at Hiei's chest with his sword. Hiei hissed when he felt the bite of the sword as he blocked it with his wing. It flutter for a sec and he fell to the ground, Karasu falling after him with a malicious gleeful look. Hiei hit the groundhard and groaned as he sat up. Karasu flew over him and prepared to throw the dagger.

"Iei!" yelled a voice and Karasu was thrown away from Hiei as his vision cleared and he looked up to see Kurama floating in the middle of the battling armies.

"Stop it!" yelled Kurama as loud as he could. "Please! Stop the fighting!"

Everyone stopped to look at him, shocked a surprised to see s defenseless angel in the middle of a dangerous battle field. Koenma flew toward Kurama as the angel drifted down toward Hiei.

"Hiei! Are you okay?" he asked and picked up the dragon winged demon, laying the raven head on his shoulder.

"Kurama," said Hiei looking at him, `what are you doing? You don't belong here."

"I go where you go," said Kurama and he looked up at his father. "Please stop! Don't you see what you're doing! You're killing Reikai!"

Koenma looked around to see his soldiers, less then a few hundred, battered and scraped from the battle, and many others before. Hiei looked at Yomi and glared at him.

"What are you waiting for?" yelled Yomi above the field. "Do it!"

Hiei growled and reached into his cloak, and pulled out a rose. Kurama smiled as Hiei handed it to him and stood up, using Kurama as support. He glared up at Yomi.

"I can't change what I am," he said. "But I can change who I am."

"Father," pleaded Kurama to Koenma. "Please stop! They were us once, and you showed them mercy by banishing them. Please do the same now!"

Koenma nodded and raised his fisted hand, and motioned it away from him. The Reikai troops disentangled from the Makai and reformed behind Koenma. Yomi hissed and did the same with his troops.

"For over three thousand years, I have dreamt of taking the Reikai," said Yomi. "I never thought it would be my son who would defeat me."

"Nor mine," said Koenma and looked down at Kurama. "After six hundred years, Kurama, I'm proud to call you my son. I see now it's not a spell that the demon put you on, and if it was then it's called love."

"I can't say I'm proud of you, Hiei," said Yomi. "But I will let you live with Kurama."

"Arigato!" said Kurama and hugged Hiei who hugged him back.

Kurama lurched forward and groaned when something impacted him, hard and deadly. Hiei grabbed the angel and saw an arrow right between his wings, bitter red liquid slowly removing itself from the wound. Hiei growled and looked up at the attacker, Mukuro. He grabbed his sword and attacked her as demons and angels swarmed her, taking the bow from her hands and quiver of arrows from her side. But before he could strike, Kuwabara grabbed him and held him as the opposing armies shackled her, Yukina at Kurama's side.

"He's mine!" she yelled. "He'll always be mine!"

Hiei growled and struggled against Kuwabara's hold but the angel held him. He looked at Yukina and she shook her head at her boyfriend, loss and pain written in her eyes.

"I'm sorry," Kuwabara said and let go of Hiei. The demon drifted down and picked up Kurama, pulling out the arrow and throwing it away, disgusted. He hugged Kurama close as the angels body started to glow and Kurama's spirit traveled to Ningenkai. After a few minutes he picked up the angel and together, both armies flew toward Reikai.

Mukuro had been punished with a travel in time, six hundred years past, to experience life as a ningens before returning to Makai as a demon. Even in Ningenkai she wasn't very nice, she became a murderer, slaver, prostitute, and mercenary. Finally after fifty lifetimes in Ningenkai she could return to Makai.

Kurama's funeral was large, roses and chrysanthemums decorated the walls and tables. Of Makai a few chosen were allowed to attended, Yomi, Yusuke, Keiko, Yukina and Hiei. The tiny demon didn't say a word, didn't shed a tear as the wake progressed. Every one, even him, was surprised when Koenma asked him to make a speech.

Hiei walked up to the pillar, since his wing was still healing, and faced the audience. Hiei didn't really know what to say, so he just decided to say what came to mind.

"Kurama was a true friend," said Hiei. "He'd shown that to me many times. But Kurama wasn't really a friend; I loved him, more then anything in the three worlds. I would have given my life for him, if it would save him, and he would do the same for me.

I know some of you don't like me, and you have good reason too. For the last six hundred years I've attacked your homes, towns, and villages. I never wanted too, I never did. I didn't want that war to start, I didn't want to be apart of it. All I wanted was to be with Kurama and you saw it as some kind of crime. If it was, then it was bliss.

Me and Kurama were what people probably would cal true love, for we did anything to help the other. He saved my life from the execution, and I saved him when he was captured. That was how I meet him. No, it wasn't. I meet him when he was injured inside our borders, and as soon as I saw him, I loved him. I couldn't say it, for it was forbidden. But we didn't care. Who could when two hearts beat as one.

I hope what I say here today helps shape a new future, though I didn't say much. Kurama gave his life for peace and I say we give it for him. I don't know about you, but I'm through with fighting. From this day one, I will never pick up another weapon!"

Hiei walked toward Kurama's casket and drew his sword, laying it across Kurama's chest and placed his hands on the handle. True to his word he never touched another weapon from that day forward. Hiei disappeared after that day.

A year later, on the anniversary of Kurama's death, Kuwabara, Yukina, Yusuke, and Keiko found Hiei lying on Kurama's grave, dead, with a vibrant red rose clutched in his hands. It looked like he had been dead for several hours, staying out in the cold with no cloak to keep him warm, and very malnourished and dehydrated. It wasn't custom from both worlds to take their own life, so Hiei did it the only way he knew how, not eating or drinking. They buried him next to Kurama and prayed that they would be together again.

TBC

-Doushita=What's wrong?

-Dekiagair=Ready

-Shuurai=Attack

-Iei=No

[throws down cigarette] You're right, smoking kill ya. But I bet you'll kill me if I don't post the last chapter soon. Yep-a-roo, folks, there's one more chapter! So just put those flamers aside and wait till you liked the ending to flame me okay? This chapter was a little hard because I wanted it suspenseful, yet exciting.