Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Hikaru no naka e, Into the Light ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Hikaru no naka e, Into the Light
Pairing: Jin/Touya
Rating: R
Disclaimer: I don't own chars.
 
* * * Jin's POV
 
I am a wanderer of the eternal darkness, in a world that knows no Light. In that world, the Makai, the sun never sets nor rises. Only a sliver of fiery orb clings hopelessly to the horizon. There, no more than a sad glow of twilight, illuminates this shadowy, godforsaken world. Its gloom weighed down heavily on my soul. From that darkness I come and seek the light.
 
My team and I are the Mashyoutsukai, the sect of Shinobi who traveled far 3 days and nights, through a cave between the worlds. In the human world, we surfaced on an isle, Hanging Neck Island, bathed in a honey, golden sunshine. I danced, drinking in splashes of warm, sweet sunlight.
 
“C'mere, Touya!” I cried, with my body washed in light, “The light! We found it.”
 
“Indeed,” the diminutive ice youkai replied coolly. A ray of sun danced in his arctic eyes, like a dim light playing off the tip of an icicle, during a bitter and frigid morning. Touya's winter complexion didn't quite absorb the light, reflecting it as if his skin were snow. A glacial wind blew off it, carrying his scent. I breathed it in, tasting it on my tongue as a nippy, but refreshing breeze that aroused my good spirits. My ears sprang up in sheer contentment and my joy spilled out in a broad, lively smile that captured Touya's eye.
 
Locked in my engagement, he dropped his forbidding gaze. The pale, snow-white skin by the edges his mouth, curved up in a faint, frosty grin, reserved only for me. If he disliked another sect member, the corners of his lips turned downwards into a chilling scowl, making their blood run cold.
 
“His smile invades me, but I can't hate him. He's cheerful, reminds me of that bird,” mused Touya to himself.
 
A mocking bird in a tree above serenaded, erupting in full song. It's sweet melody soared higher and higher, bursting into its ultimate crescendo, followed by softer notes.
It soothed everyone's soul, except Rishyo's.
 
The Earth Master scowled. “Never mind the bird. Let's train, you damn Shinobi dogs!”
 
“I rather naught,” I sighed, gazing above in the vast expanse of sky. How I longed to be there, soaring freely with Touya!
 
I locked in him in my grasp, feeling a current whip about my feet. It whirled gently at first, then aggressively into a gust, that shot us into the sky, on free-flowing zephyr wings! An upward gust lifted us higher, where we hovered in avian freedom.
 
The briny air smelt of bitter, biting salt and lemons, tangy on the tongue! I gulped it down, its spicy taste like fire. If I were the wind, I'd drink the sea and breath its saline air. If I were the wind, I'd whistle past Touya's ears in thick, wavering sheets, that'd rise and fall with the ocean waves!
 
A breath-taking panorama stretched out around us in a full 360-degree view, spanning the horizon in a broad expansive arc. There, the sea and sky joined in perfect harmony. Their colors blended together in a shade of deep, cobalt blue. Near the island, the cobalt transitioned into a lighter azure, fading into a distinctive, bright aqua that boarded the shore.
 
“What an unbelievable view!” remarked Touya, enchanted by the Earth's beauty. “Jin, if we in this Dark Tournament, this paradise shall be ours! Once it is, we'll become One with it, in the Light that envelopes this world!”
 
Become one with it? What did he mean by that? Would he physically ascend into the Light, his body transforming into Pure Spirit, the invisible energy of God that animates all things?
 
“Touya, I don' get wot you be sayin', but take me wi' ya,” I said in my thick, brogue accent, embracing him in my whirlwind.
 
His snow-white lips stretched in a feint smile. The light flashed an icy glow in his eyes. “You want to follow where I go?” he asked. “Why?”
 
I swallowed, feeling my throat tighten. “Em, I…I not sure why…”
 
The ice master frowned. “I've never done anything without a clear goal in mind. I'm sure you'll figure it out, Touya. Let's find Risho and the others.”
 
* * *
 
That night at the island hotel I shared a room with Rishyo, Ruka, Bakken and Gama. Touya requested his own room. I couldn't sleep so I knocked on Touya's door.
 
“Come in,” he called out.
 
As I entered, a nippy Siberian wind blew over me. It whipped the baggy white pants over my legs, making my body shiver. “ `Tis a wee bit breezy, down there in me nether regions. How can he sleep, wi' his bullocks frozen over?”
 
The wind's freezing touch passed over a thin layer of ice that coated the walls, the carpet, the furniture, anything in this drafty, subzero icebox. Silvery moonlight streamed in the room from an open window. It drew out the icy highlights in the room in a white gleam, casting every shadow in dark gray, bluish in hue.
 
In this interplay of light and shadow, the strongest beam of moonlight hit Touya's bed in a silver wash, outlining his figure in a halo. Shimmering light danced over pallid youkai skin. Its opaque, matted surface softened the highlights and shadows into subdued blend, subtler in appearance than the sharp, striking qualities of ice.
 
I wanted to play with his skin, soaking in its cool texture; its wintry tones, and flawless surface, perfectly white and cold like the body of a naked marble stature. He shifted his sculpted figure, bringing to life the curves of sinew and muscle, stretched over frigid bone and flesh.
 
He hoisted himself up on his small, pointed elbows, asking me. “Can't sleep?”
 
I shook my head. “Naa, naught a wee bit.”
 
“Then come over,” the ice youkai invited.
 
I manifested my youki as a whirlwind. I glided in it, hovering above his bed. My windy aura swept over the bed sheets he laid on, creating small ripples in the fabric that flowed out. The strongest air current hit Touya's forehead, ruffling his aquamarine bangs. He furrowed his thin, high slanted eyebrows together and a slight frown line formed between them, breaking the smooth planes of his face. “Will you stop that, Jin!?” he growled fiercely, in a deep, resonant voice.
 
I grinned sheepishly at him, stretching out casually in my breezy tunnel above.
 
“Jin!” he hissed, lunging up at me from his bed.
 
I laughed heartily, sweeping down, capturing his small, sleek body in my big muscular arms. I whisked him out through the window into the starry, moonlit night. A full moon beckoned to us, with its radiant halo backlighting the sky in blanket of sterling silver. Sparkling, jewel-like stars scattered the sky in a multitude, each one shinning brighter than the next.
 
As I flew through the air, I glimpsed at their bright reflection, glowing in Touya's eyes. His features softened, for now he enjoyed our flight.
 
“Jin, fly higher. The stars, I want to touch them,” Touya demanded, his body pressed to mine, arms clasped around me.
 
“Aye, let's go!” I exclaimed with gusto.
 
We blasted upwards in a vertical cyclone of air, reaching for the cosmos. Touya raised his arms and yelled. His joyful shout of freedom rang through the heavens, its sound clear and liberating like the clamor of bells. The shrill cry shook the stars, letting them know it touched them, then settled down in the tranquility of the night.
 
* * * Jin's POV
 
“The stars, ye touched them!” I cried, my ears springing up in excitement. We floated lazily, high in the dark, azure sky above the silvery cloud line, spotting Hangman's island as a mere green dot in the cobalt sea below.
 
“No, we touched them,” Touya replied, resting the weight of his small frame over my larger, bulky body as we drifted in a calm breeze.
 
It was just the two of us on top of the world, drifting lazily in the night sky, washed in moonlit silver. The moon orbited so close, I wanted to stroke its bumpy, crater scared surface, sweeping up moon dust on my hand. I'd blow on the dust, admiring its fine, shiny grains, as they'd slip out between my windy fingers.
 
Touya weaved his icy, slender fingers through mine, folding them in the valleys between my knuckles on my bare chest. “Thanks for taking me up here, Jin.”
 
I chuckled, swinging my free arm over his back. We spun through the air on an upwards current. “Glad ye had a grand ol' time!” I said in a jovial tone. “Em, I been thinkin' Touya, about why I wish to follow ya, and become the light.”
 
“Oh? Touya raised his brows.
 
“I like ya!” I piped out suddenly, wiggling my ears.
 
He smiled wryly, first in disbelief, then out of amusement. “No one else in our sect would say that, Jin.”
 
“Wot?” I asked, slowing down on our descent in the wind.
 
“I'm a cold, proud bastard who ignores everyone, so says Bakuken,” replied Touya indifferently, shrugging his shoulders, while he lay on me.
 
I paused in midair, squeezing the ice master in my grasp. “No, you be not! Touya, you're honorable, moral, and honest, everything a shinobi should be. That be why I…I like ya.”
 
 
To be continued…