Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Hikaru no naka e, Into the Light ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2
 
* * * Touya's POV
 
Jin liked me.
 
Against the night sky moonlight glowed from behind him, brightening the outsides of his round, cute face. The inner zones of his face fell into a curtain of gray shadow, pulling my gaze there. An even darker shade of gray lined his lined upper lids, accented by thick black lashes that rimmed his flashing eyes. The shadows shifted as his brows rose and eyes widened. Their deep, solid navy hue matched the night sky in tone, animated by a touch of gaiety.
 
I wished I could revel in the joy he felt. “Jin, you said good things about me. It's quite a surprise because no one's ever really...liked me, least of all me.”
 
As we glided in a downward slant in the wind, like gulls dropping on the wing, he locked his eyes on mine. Sadness filled them, drowning out their joy. His ears hung low, weighed heavily by grief. “Ya can't see wot a wonderful person be ye an' o', it kills me, Touya!” he cried aghast. “Why?”
 
I sighed, feeling myself plummet like a fallen star from the heavens, past the horizon, into the Earth below.
 
* * * Jin's POV
 
No sooner than we reached the beach, Touya sprang out of my whirlwind, kicking up sand behind him as he trudged off.
 
I played in my wind tunnel, projecting out small blasts of air onto the rippled sand below. Small, white, silky grains wafted their way up in the spinning current and an entire cyclone of beach sand spun around me. Each grain glittered, like cracked diamond shards, broken up from the ebb and flow of sea. I caught some in my fist, feeling its course texture imprinted on my skin. I spread my fingers a bit and it slid through the cracks, fine as fairy dust in the night wind. If moon dust feels like this, someday I'll take Jin to the moon when we've become light, so he too can play with it.
 
I chased the grains out to the wine-dark sea, where the sandy tornado broke up. Wave after wave rolled in, the indigo water between each swell rose from its trough, curving up in a full circle as it crested over, tumbling over in bubbly lines of foam that licked the wet sand. As the waves crested and crashed, briny ocean spray misted my face, coating it in bittersweet, salty layers that cleansed deeply the pores in my skin. I licked the salt off my lips, savoring its sour, sharp taste. I breathed in the oxygen rich air, feeling every cell in my body charged with life and energy. Good god, it felt great to be alive!
 
“Lively, ain't it?” called out the ice youkai in lively voice from behind me.
I nodded. “It sure be, eh me friend?” I cried back heartily, wrapping an arm around him.
 
He smiled softly at me, leaning his head against my chest; his gaze skipping over the sand's mirror surface reflected the moonlight in a single, flickering line. It danced across the ocean in rippling flashes, creating an endless read that shimmered out to the horizon, where sea and sky met. “See that shiny road that crosses the sea, Jin? If I traveled on it, I'd find the light. Just how far would I have to travel to find it?”
 
“Forever. But ya wouldn't find it,” I replied.
 
“Why?” mused Touya.
 
“Cause it be outside of ya. Wot if `twas right in here?” I laid a hand on Touya's chest, feeling his heartbeat. “Inside yer heart is a seed, Touya. Wi' a wee bit o' sunlight, it'll grow, `an you'll see, wot a beautiful person ye are.”
 
“And where's that light to grow that seed?”
 
“Look deeply, in me eye Touya. Wot do ye see?” I asked.
 
He gazed into my irises. “A twinkle,” Touya said. “It flickers like the stars in the night sky. Is it…light?
 
I smiled. “Me inner light. That light in me will grow the light in ya, Touya. Then we'll be one in the Light that envelops this world.”
 
To be continued…