Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Hikaru no naka e, Into the Light ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Chapter 3
 
* * * Touya's POV
 
Jin, you are my light. Without you, where would I be in life? I'd be living in the darkness, in a day-to-day meaningless existence. In your arms, as I hear the waves lap up, their cadence tender. I wonder, how many generations of humankind have passed, with the ebb and flow of time. They lap against the sand, reaching their peak in life. The tide, like the force of death, sweeps them out to sea as they cling desperately to life. Such is the human condition. In their struggle do they find the light?
 
Unlike humans, the life of a youkai is not like a wave. Our lives last longer, hundreds of years in comparison to humans. We live in a world where the sun ceases to rise or shine. Only a silver of dawn clings to the horizon in a world that knows no light. There, we youkai live as wandering spirits, without hope or meaning in life. Though human lives are shorter, God gives them a chance to seek what we don't have, the light.
 
Perhaps by fate, I've been given the chance humans have of seeking the light. When I searched for light outside of me, I never found it. I searched in the sunset, sea and sky to no avail. I even searched the stars, reaching in the heavens. But I fell, pulled back by the tide of time that takes human life. And then I saw it, the star that sparkled in Jin's eye. That star in him, the light, rescued me from time and its tides. Here I am in your arms, Jin, all yours forever and ever, embraced by the light.
 
This light its everywhere in you. From the way you smile to joy you sing you are eternally my light. The light in you grows the light in me when I rejoice in your presence. Now I understand what you meant by that.
 
One day, will I love and forget, who is you, and who is me, as we merge together as one? We'll flow together in the sun, the moon and stars in the light that envelopes this world. That way I'll be together with you and I won't suffer anymore. Yet now, we are already together as the sunrises and seagulls cry over the ocean.
 
I yawned stirring on his chest. How the night passed so fast in the presence of my light. He's done so much for me, what can I do for him? Perhaps some breakfast will rouse his sleepy senses. That's it! I'll catch some fish for him.
 
 
Jin's POV* * *
 
Droplets of fresh ocean spray coated my weathered and sleepy face. The waves trickled in lapping at my feet, higher as the tide now rose. I shifted my position scooting back in the sand to keep dry. I moved into a slightly, hallowed out depression where Touya. Where was he? “Touya! Where be ye!?” I hollered, my voice ringing out loud and clear.
 
“Here!” replied a distant echo down the beach, where the shoreline curved in, forming a round, circular cove divided from the ocean by a thick, barrier roof. Gently slopping hills, rich and green, rose around the cove cutting off the vast expanse of horizon. That way, I took in only the inlet's rich beauty. From its coral-gated entrance into the receding shallows, a deep blue, indicating a deep range of depth, gave way to lighter patches of blue, and finally the aqua rim of water near shore where the majority of coral grew. Between the major coral growths and shoreline, in clear water one-foot deep, yellow and green, a single figure waded. Touya.
 
I flew down in my whirlwind, descending by him on the shore. “An' wot ye be doin'?” I asked, taking refugee in the shade of some palm trees from the blistering, tropical sun.
 
Touya smirked, glancing over his shoulder. “Fishing, Jin.”
 
I laughed, reclining back on a sand pillow I scooped up. “How?”
 
“With this.” Touya grinned, extending an arm. He concentrated his youki there until it froze over, creating an ice sword he used in battle. “I call it the ninja art of ice sword-spear fishing!”
 
“Eh?” I gawked at him, all wide eye and surprised that he did something so silly.
 
“It'll work, I swear,” Touya defended. Then he wadded out a good distance into the aqua water where the coral grew, stabbing as he swam. “Got it!” he yelled, raising his spear-sword arm, a big fat fish speared at the end of it.
 
“Well, God blind me! It works!” I cried out, jumping for joy.
 
“Hah, of course. One marlin sushi comin' up!” Touya shouted, waving his bountiful catch.
 
When Touya got to shore, he laid the fish on a palm leaf, slicing off its outer layer of skin. He cleaned it, placing thin, soft strips into rolled up palm leafs.
 
“Close your eyes,” said Touya, taking a piece in his mouth.
 
As I shut them, a bitter chill hit my lips, almost numbing them. Soft youkai lips, their texture pliable and smooth brushed against mine. Between them his tongue darted out, opening my mouth. It pushed in a lump of raw, spicy marlin that I swallowed, stung by a slight aftertaste in my throat. We finished lunch, feeding each other like that.
 
To be continued…