Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ I Don't Need a Hero! ❯ And So It Begins ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
BEEP!BEEP! BEEP! *SMASH* "...SHIT!"

That was the normal mornings audio streaming from my bedroom walls. This was my routine. Wake up to the horrible sound of my alarm clock and, enraged to be woken up, I normally throw the thing across the room before I'm awake enough to stop myself. Then, of course, I start my rant of early morning curse words (always good to get at least 50 in before breakfast) at the fact that I have to buy yet another new clock.

As I'm assuming you've gathered from that last paragraph, I have a slight temper, and I am in no way a "morning person." To be blunt, I hate mornings. Last time I checked it wasn't a crime. And if by some cruel new law it is, then my name is Kaya Nimiko. Just put me down under "Alarm clock murderers."

As I started to say before, my life is pretty routine. You're most likely sitting there wondering why you should care, and frankly... I don't have an answer for that. You shouldn't care. In fact, it'd creep me out if you didcare. I always thought it was weird how people you hardly know pretend to give two shits about you when it’s impossible to hold any kind of realfeelings toward someone you've only just met.

"Kaya! Get the hell up!" My roommate, a kid named Yusuke Urameshi, yelled from the other room as he pounded on the wall connecting the two rooms. Somehow if I manage to fall back asleep due to the lack of alarm clock, that kid is always there to wake me up and make sure I get my day started. The little fucker.

"Shut your shit, I'm up!" I shouted back with a huff as I rolled out of bed... and right onto the floor. I had been lying in bed for the past 15 minutes, explaining to you lovely people my morning habits simply because I did not feel like going to school today.

Deciding 'screw it,' I groaned loudly before picking myself up and walking into the bathroom. I turned on the radio and blasted one of my "horrible American bands," as my roommate like to call them, but really they were just an American punk band by the name of “the germs.” I could definitely understand why he didn’t like them though, not many people tend to enjoy real punk.

"I hate Mondays. I hate school, and I hate teachers." I mumbled to myself as I rubbed my fruity smelling shampoo into my hair and rinsed it out. I did the same with my conditioner before stepping out of the shower and wrapping a towel around myself. As I did this, I thought about why it was that I hated school so much. It wasn't the teachers, personally I had nothing against mostof them; and I don't think it was the school as I had been too many different ones growing up. I think it was just my profound dislike for any form of authority that drove me to my over powering hate for the school system. School, to me, was a dictatorship. A place you are forced by the state to attend, a place where you are striped of most of your rights, forced to accept the shit they shove down your throat as fact, a place where free thought is not accepted, frowned upon in fact. It's trivial, pointless, meaningless, straight up bull shit.

I suppose it’s just the teenage way to hate school, to complain constantly about how unfair and unjust it is while still remaining to go there every day of their lives. It's different for me though, it has always been different. I wouldn’t be able to tell you how, so you’re just going to have to trust me on this one.

"Its way to early to be thinking so hard," I decided. Putting those thoughts aside, I walked back into my room and went straight for my closet. I bit my bottom lip lightly as I looked over my clothes. I didn't have many nice clothes, and the few I did have were a tad...different. But I always found uniformity to be pointless, so, being the “rebel” that I am, I tried my hardest to personalize my clothes. It wasn’t like I wanted people to say “Oh, wow, she’s so unique,” I guess I just had a different taste in clothes then most people. I could never afford a lot of nice things throughout my life, so it’s really not like I know the difference, but I found I enjoyed shopping at second hand shops and making my own clothes. It was practical, cheap, and it gave me more freedom to personalize my things.

I pulled out my favorite pair of jeans, they had holes and slashes everywhere, patches, pins and they didn't really resemble anything anymore. I also pulled out a pair of black tights to go underneath them because without them, my entire front lower half would be showing. As I was slipping them on, I couldn't help but to picture my teachers faces once I stepped into the building. You'd think they'd be used to my outrageous state of dress by now... But every morning it’s the same thing, the same “oh my lord” faces, the same hate filled stares. Like they thought I was just dressing up for Halloween, and would be back to normal the next day, or something.



I pulled a plain black tube-top that covered my belly out of my dresser and over my head as I mouthed the words to the music blaring in my room. My roommate had gotten used to my "morning routine" by now so I didn't give his enjoyment of the music a second thought. If he didn't like it, he'd make sure I knew it.

"Hey Yusuke! It’s your turn to make breakfast, so get the hell up!" I shouted at the wall, smiling when I heard him groan and walk downstairs.

See, we had this deal... Monday through Friday he made the food and on the weekends, I called the pizza place. It was better this way since I can't even poor a glass of OJ without it bursting into flames.

Laughing at this well known fact, I slopped on some eyeliner before walking downstairs. Seeing my roommate gone and a plate of those little frozen waffles on the table, I shook my head slightly before sitting down to eat.
Yusuke's POV:

Kaya! Get the hell up!” I shouted at the wall, pounding on it lightly to wake her up. As lazy as I am, her morning routine put mine to shame. I've found that I don't even need my own alarm clock anymore since hers always wakes me up when it's busted into pieces against the wall every morning. Despite this fact, she always manages to fall back asleep if I don't yell at her to get up.

Sighing, I lay my head back down against the pillow thinking what a miserable day it was going to be today. I have all kinds of exams and tests to do today. Wincing at the thought, I decided to get up and find my uniform to throw on.

Once I had it on, I heard Kaya shout, "Hey Yusuke! It’s your turn to make breakfast, so get the hell up!"

Laughing a little bit, I headed downstairs to fix something for breakfast. I may not be the best cook in the world, but I knew how to fry an egg or two and pop some bread into the toaster. Just as I open refrigerator, I heard my communicator beeping and grinned.

SWEEETT!!!” I shouted, instantly covering my mouth. I didn't mean to be that loud.

Grabbing the beeping compact mirror, I walked outside and opened it. “Yo,” I greeted.

Yusuke, we have a problem. I need you here ASAP.” Koenma said quickly, the slight hint of fear and panic in his voice leading me to believe that something huge was going on. I nodded and closed the mirror, stepping into the portal that appeared two seconds later.   Normal POV:

"Alright Binky breath, who's ass am I kicking this time?" Yusuke shouted at the baby behind a huge oak desk. Koenma had called him and the others to his office earlier, seeming rather panicked, however, now he seemed calm and collected.

"Let’s skip the shouting this time Yusuke. I have a very painful headache." Koenma mumbled as he rubbed the bridge of his nose.

"What have you called us here for Koenma?" Kurama asked from his spot against the wall. He too was curious as to what they were all called here for, though he wasn't as rude about it as his long time friend.

"My sources tell me there is some kind of creature walking around in human world that is not a human nor a demon. I simply need you to find it." Koenma explain a little too calmly.

Yusuke just sweat dropped before exploding on the tiny prince.

"THATS IT?! THAT'S WHAT YOU DRAGGED ME OUT OF BED FOR!" He screamed, insulted by the seemingly small job. Koenma winced at his loud voice and stood up.

"Yes, Yusuke. That is all I can do for now. I don't even know what this creature is, much less how the hell its gone unnoticed for the past 17 years! All that's known is that it isn't of either world. This kind of thing has never happened to me before so we need to be careful. I have-" Koenma started, only to be cut off when Yusuke started shouting again.

"Oh I get it! You just don't want your daddy to find out!" Yusuke fumed. Koenma sighed as he walked over to a near-by table to fuss over 4 tiny objects, ignoring Yusuke's angered rant.

"Uh...so what? We just find this...thing...and bring it back? That's it? Sounds like cake!" Kuwabara chimed in.

"Bout time the big oaf opened his month," thoughtYusuke.

"How are we supposed to find this creature? I assume you have something to help us? " Kurama asked, knowing full well that while Koenma may be unfair at times, he wasn't about to send them on a wild goose chase.

"Yes, as I was saying-" Koenma paused to glare at Yusuke, "-I had a special tracker made. Now, normally this device picks up on a certaint kind of energy that both humans and demons use, but it was reversed so everything that does not give off this energy will set the tracker off. This creature will not give off said energy since it is neither one." Koenma grinned, extremely proud of himself for thinking of it all, but soon his face fell.

"One problem...these things are powered by the sun... No sun, no power. It’s all I could get on such short notice, even the prince of spirit world can only do so much. You understand."

"Alright, we'll track this thing down in 3 days tops." Yusuke said with a sigh as he grabbed the small metal tracker from Koenma, who handed the rest of them their own. He paused when he handed Kurama his however, noting the absence of the little fire demon. He looked to Kurama with a quizzical look, almost acusingly, asking if he knew anything about it.

"Hiei felt it was...beneath him to participate in this mission." The redhead explained with a small sigh.

"I see. Give him his tracker and I'll have a little talk with him about the importance of this mission later." Koenma said, a firm look on his face.

"Heh...this thing kind of looks like a calculator.." Kuwabara mused, making Yusuke snort.

"Like you'd know what a damn calculator looks like Kuwabara."

"Hey! You wanna say that to my face Urameshi?!" Kuwabara and Yusuke continued to fight for a short while as Kurama and Koenma both sighed.

"STOP!!" Koenma shouted suddenly, making the two oafs both stop their movement, Kuwabara's face held to the ground rather firmly by Yuskue's left hand.

"It is very important that you find this person, and I use that term loosely. Understand?" Koenma's face was firm.

"Ya whatever" "Uh-huh" Was heard, along with the nod Kurama gave.

"Then get to it!" With that Koenma opened a portal back to human world and they all stepped through it.

"Hey, where’s shrimp-o? Didn't see him back there." Kuwabara asked after a while.

"He refused to come along on this mission, but with Lord Koenma's paranoia I'm sure we'll be seeing him along sooner or later.." Kurama stated idly, lost in his own thoughts.

"Whatever. So what’s the deal here, we just walk around the city 'till the light goes off on the trackers?" The beauty-challenged teen asked.

"I suppose we should, at least for the rest of the day or until we have Hiei here with us." Kurama said.

After nearly 11 hours of scanning the city, the boys decided to call it a day and search harder tomorrow. So, after saying their goodbyes to each other, the parted ways and headed for their homes.

Yusuke got home around 12:00am and threw his coat, which had the tracker inside the pocket, on the ground. He walked into the kitchen and grabbed a soda before plopping down on his couch to watch some TV.

He noticed his roommate asleep on the chair next to him and smiled slightly. He'd known her since he moved out of his mother’s house 2 years ago. She was a strange girl to say the least. From her always changing hair color to her eyes, she wasn't your everyday girl. Despite her appearance, she and Yusuke were actually pretty close friends. He even thought of her as his little sister.

His thoughts were cut off when his tracker started to beep softly, but glow extremely bright. Yusuke "eeped" and ran for his jacket, grabbing the shining annoyance, he tried to shut it off but it just wouldn't stop.

He walked into his room, not wanting to wake the sleeping girl in the living room. "Fuckin' thing must be busted.." He mumbled before dropping it to the ground and getting ready to smother it under a pile of dirty clothes. But right before he was about to drop the clothes onto it,... It stopped.

Nothing..

No beeping. No annoyingly bright light. Nothing..

"Thank god!" Yusuke sighed in relief before crawling into bed.

At random times during the night Yusuke's tracker began to beep, causing grumpy Yusuke syndrome the next morning. After trying for a few hours to ignore it, he finally got to sleep around 2:00am.

The next day...

When Yusuke woke up, he was the only one in the house and there was a plate of eggs on the stove for him. He smiled despite the fact that they were badly burnt, before inhaling his food and going into the living room to watch TV.

For the next 15 minutes Yusuke sat on his couch, flipping through the channels on the commercials. The door bell rung and he was forced to get up and answer it, which turned out to be a bad idea, for as soon as he did all his hopes of finding out who done it on Scooby doo were dashed.

"Uh..Heh-heh...Hey guys, come on in." Yusuke said laughing as he stepped to the side to let Kurama and Kuwabara into his apartment. Walking back into the living room, Yusuke saw that Hiei had taken the window and made a mental note to lock it tomorrow.

"Nice of you to grace us with your presence, Hiei." The spirit detective said sarcastically.

"Hn." Was all he got in reply from the little demon on his windowsill.

Yusuke was about to start an argument with him, just because he hadn't seen his demon friend in nearly a year, but before he got very far, his roommate came walking in, soaking wet from the rain outside and carrying a guitar case. "Sorry I'm late" She said as she walked into the kitchen, not noticing the 3 other people in the room.

Yusuke grumbled something at her and threw his hands up into the air. She came back in and threw him a can of soda before plopping down next to him drinking her own. Suddenly a bright flash of light when off, making her jump. She hardly noticed the semi-loud beeping. She looked around and noticed that there were 3 guys she didn't recognize in the room. One had long red hair and bright green eyes. He reminded her of someone, but she couldn't put her finger on it.

Looking to the left, she saw a tall boy whose hair reminded her of a carrot. One word came to mind while she looked at him. Lumpy.

The last guy, she thought seemed kind of...bored. He sat on the windowsill, staring at her with little interest. He had black hair with a white star burst in the middle and was dressed in all black. His eyes are what caught her attention though. Blood red, intense, cold. No emotion what so ever.

She noticed they all held a metal thing in their hands -except the guy in black- and she guessed that was what the light was about as they were all glowing.

"Who the fuck are you guys, and why the fuck is everybody glowing?!" She narrowed her eyes at Yusuke, who laughed nervously and scratched the back of his head.

Before he -or anyone else for that matter- could say anything she groaned. "Ya know what? I don't even wanna know. I'll be in my room. Don't bug me." With that she walked into her bedroom, locking the door behind her. She was just so damn tired of Yusuke's pranks..

As soon as she left, the beeping and the light stopped and everyone was silent.

Yusuke: O.0

Kuwabara: 0.o

Kurama: -.-

Hiei: ...

"Um...Yusuke...I believe your roommate may need to come with us to see Koenma.." Kurama started, lost in thought once again.

"Uh...she’s the...right." Yusuke snapped out of it.

"KAYA!! GET YOUR BUTT OUT HERE A-SAP!" Yusuke yelled only to get a "Bite me dumb ass!" yelled back at him. Hiei smirked slightly amused and Kurama tried not to laugh, but Kuwabara didn't hold back his laughter.
Yusuke sighed before charging into her room, having mastered how to pick the lock already. Everyone followed close behind. "Look, Kaya-" He paused to rip the headphones out of her ears. "As I was saying, I'm going to need you to come with me some place, okay?"

She rolled her eyes before putting her headphones back on and mouthing the words to her song. This was her way of ignoring him, he knew. Yusuke sighed and pulled them off her head again.

"I'm not joking around here, Kaya. I really need you to just shut up and come with me." She noted how shaken up he seemed about this, but she didn't take too kindly to be told what to do.

"Yusuke, man... Do you really think that I'm just going to stop what I'm doing for your sorry as-" Her sentence was ended as she fell forward into Yusuke, who caught her.

His face was shocked for a second, but soon turned into a snarl as he saw Hiei standing behind Kaya. "Hiei!! You didn't have to knock her out!" Yusuke growled.

"Yes, Hiei, there were less violent ways to get her to come with us. But what’s done is done, I suppose." Kurama sighed, "Yusuke, please call Koenma and ask him for a portal."

Yusuke gently laid Kaya down on her bed and pulled his communicator out of his pocket. "Yo, binky breath. We found her." Was all he said before he hung up and a portal appeared. He turned around and was about to pick Kaya up and carry her but saw she wasn't on the bed anymore.

He turned back around to see Hiei carrying her into the portal. He raised an eyebrow before shrugging it off and walking into it himself.


So, I wrote this in 06, and yes, I know it’s bad. I just went over and fixed a lot of mistakes I saw, but it’s way too marysued for my liking.